NC - Katlin Violette, 4, found decapitated, Clayton, 12 Jan 2007 *Insanity*

Every day the news seems to have more and more things that stun the mind.

The links here are the only source for the news that I have had.

The father lost his job the day before.
The mom came home from work that night, found her little girl.

From what is posted on this thread I don't know IF IF the father was gone when the mother came home, and how would she know it was the father that did it, IF he was just not there?

There has to be more to this story than we have learned here on this thread.

Horrible just does not cover this.

My thoughts exactly Camper. What was done to that little girl is beyond horrible, and I just cannot understand how anyone could do this to a four year old girl. I cannot understand how anyone could do this to anyone, especially to a tiny child.

Lion

LionRun said:
My thoughts exactly Camper. What was done to that little girl is beyond horrible, and I just cannot understand how anyone could do this to a four year old girl. I cannot understand how anyone could do this to anyone, especially to a tiny child.

Lion
Graphic murder of a child like this usually indicates a hatred of the other parent (which just doesn't seem to be the case here), a desire to conceal the identity of the victim (which doesn't seem to be the case here) or severe mental illness.

I think this guy is probably insane.

Even mentioning the possibility of a bond was unnecessary. 'Course even IF he were to get out on bond, someone somewhere would have taken care of the matter. If I were guilty of something like this, I wouldn't have been able to walk into court on my own. You would have had to drag me or carry me..or bury me. How can he face himself?

http://rdu.news14.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=98414

southcitymom said:
Graphic murder of a child like this usually indicates a hatred of the other parent (which just doesn't seem to be the case here), a desire to conceal the identity of the victim (which doesn't seem to be the case here) or severe mental illness.

I think this guy is probably insane.
Great insight southcitymom. There was another beheading of an 82 year old man recently, and in that case extreme hatred may have been the motive.

It was reported that the girl's father lost his job just prior to murdering his daughter. I wondered about his mental health when I read that. From what we know at this point severe mental illness is the one thing that seems to fit.

I am praying for the family members who lost this little girl in such a terrible way. I can only imagine what they are going through.

Lion

My heart goes out to the family. They spoke lovingly of the father who did this and spoke of his healing. I don't think I could be so kind. I would never want to see him again. But then I didn't know him. My only frame of reference to him is the horrible act he committed
http://www.newsobserver.com/1500/story/533961.html

Annie said:
My heart goes out to the family. They spoke lovingly of the father who did this and spoke of his healing. I don't think I could be so kind. I would never want to see him again. But then I didn't know him. My only frame of reference to him is the horrible act he committed

I guess they are doing what they need to and if speaking of him in kind ways is right for them...so be it. I, am like you, I would never forgive him and would want to see him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What he did is an unforgiveable act against an innocent child. Now, with that said, if others were aware of his demons than they should bear some responsibility of inaction in seeing that he get help. I find it hard to believe he just snapped and did this horrendous act without some prior behavior leading up to it. i.e. Angela Yates. JMO.

let me guess.... 'god' spoke to him and told him to send his daughter to heaven, right......?

Annie said:
It is heartening to hear that they have love and forgiveness in their hearts. My prayers to all the members of this family.

I REALLY don't want to hear any snivelling dribble about an "insanity" defense. There is NO defense for this behavior. None. Is it just me, or is the world spiralling out of control faster and faster?

This is TERRIBLE! I don't know how someone could do that. I wonder what the full story is? There isn't anything that would make this understandable, but there must be more.

John Violette worked at the Lowe's Home Improvement Store in Clayton until Thursday, when he terminated his employment, a store employee told WRAL. Neighbors said he lived at the residence with his wife and daughter.
I take this to mean he quit his job, not that he was fired. That might indicate some intent and planning on his part. Mentally ill for sure, but maybe his plan was to start over somewhere else? Anyone else read it that way?

<snip>
The court appointed lawyer Bob Denning to represent Violette, who was taken to Central Prison in Raleigh for "safekeeping" with no bond allowed. Authorities didn't say why they believed Violette would be safer in the prison than the county jail.
Investigators have not discussed a possible motive for the crime. They have seized a butcher knife and a knife with a serrated edge from the Violettes' home.

more at the link http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/breaking_news/16482564.htm

you know,, 99% of the time the man kills the child when there is some kind of trouble with the wife, she is planning to leave, or already left. when i read this story, i was expecting to hear that they were separated or divorced and the girl had a visitation weekend with her father when he lost it. but am i understanding this right.... the parents were still together, living together, and there were no problems to speak of?

this is another of those cases where it's going to be difficult to determine where the mental illness ends and the criminal intent begins. i think it's both, because you have to be one serious psycho to do something like this. but that doesn't mean he should get excused on the insanity defense. i guess the jury will have to hear about his behavior beforehand.. if he exhibited any clear signs of psychosis, and his percieved motive for doing it. so far it looks like the guy was pretty normal beforehand.

reb said:
you know,, 99% of the time the man kills the child when there is some kind of trouble with the wife, she is planning to leave, or already left. when i read this story, i was expecting to hear that they were separated or divorced and the girl had a visitation weekend with her father when he lost it. but am i understanding this right.... the parents were still together, living together, and there were no problems to speak of?

this is another of those cases where it's going to be difficult to determine where the mental illness ends and the criminal intent begins. i think it's both, because you have to be one serious psycho to do something like this. but that doesn't mean he should get excused on the insanity defense. i guess the jury will have to hear about his behavior beforehand.. if he exhibited any clear signs of psychosis, and his percieved motive for doing it. so far it looks like the guy was pretty normal beforehand.

I'm thinking this man was suffering from religious delusions along the lines of Andrea Yates, the woman who stoned her sons to death and the woman who cut off her baby girl's arms.

or, one of the most widespread- yet unknown- epidemics in society today... testosterone poisoning. (my theory anyway.)

kgeaux said:
I'm thinking this man was suffering from religious delusions along the lines of Andrea Yates, the woman who stoned her sons to death and the woman who cut off her baby girl's arms.
Me too.

It is certainly an unusual case. Men usually kill children to get hurt the spouse in some way. Men also frequently kill the spouse also; especially if they are in some twisted way trying to "protect" their family from the evils of the world or whatever. Unfortunately, women killing their children after "hearing voices" is not really all that unusual. It is unusual for a man to commit this sort of "insane" crime, without either hating the wife, or killing her also.

Shadow205 said:
<snip>
The court appointed lawyer Bob Denning to represent Violette, who was taken to Central Prison in Raleigh for "safekeeping" with no bond allowed. Authorities didn't say why they believed Violette would be safer in the prison than the county jail.
Investigators have not discussed a possible motive for the crime. They have seized a butcher knife and a knife with a serrated edge from the Violettes' home.

more at the link http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/breaking_news/16482564.htm
He had to be jailed someplace deemed safe. Other prisioners don't look highly upon child abusers or child murderers. I'd say he probably has a bounty on his head.

Reannan said:
It is certainly an unusual case. Men usually kill children to get hurt the spouse in some way. Men also frequently kill the spouse also; especially if they are in some twisted way trying to "protect" their family from the evils of the world or whatever. Unfortunately, women killing their children after "hearing voices" is not really all that unusual. It is unusual for a man to commit this sort of "insane" crime, without either hating the wife, or killing her also.
This is a good point. For reasons unknown it usually IS mothers who commit this level of insane murder. I cannot recall them off the top of my head, but I do remember a couple of other cases involving fathers and extreme murder like this - the fathers were both deemed mentally ill...one I read about in an Ann Rule book was schizophrenic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back