Age now 72 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 65.0
Weight (pounds) 190.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

31163.jpg

Ken has been missing for 2 years now.

It has been a very long past 2 years with all we have had to go through with my dads case but I want to Thank everyone for all their support and efforts in helping to bring my dad home.... I know the detectives are doing everything they can on this but with such limited evidence it is a slow process so I am glad we have such dedicated people working on finding the truth about what happened to my dad.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

Kenny

It has been 3 years since I had what has been the hardest day of my life, but I know getting the call that my dad was missing and going through everything that has happened since that day has made me appreciate every single thing in life. I have really come to reflect on the lessons that I have been thought even if I didn't understand what it meant at the time, I know how much my dad enjoyed his freedom and how glad he was to have served to protect that for all of us. This is one of the reasons for me deciding to do a fundraiser for the Infinite Hero Foundation (https://www.facebook.com/events/1625578534367060/ ) besides enjoying the fact that we enjoy the drag racing and hanging out with the drivers and crew that we know from the different teams and NHRA we are raising money to provide assistance to our Hero's that fight for us to be able to enjoy it all.... I know as dedicated as the Catawba County Sheriff's department is to resolving their cases that someday the right lead will come in to link everything together and they will solve this case and we will be able to bring my dad home. I can't THANK everyone who has helped and continues to help in even the smallest way enough for taking the time to care enough about my dad and our family to do what you do.... There is no way I can Thank my loving wife Jessica Mohler enough for being beside me through all of this and keeping me sane and out of jail.... I Love you Dad and we will not quit until you are home with us.

Thank You for keeping my dad in your thoughts and prayers
Kenny

Four years since Catawba Co. man disappeared, family doubles reward

http://www.kait8.com/story/32783028/four-years-since-catawba-co-man-disappeared-family-doubles-reward

Four years ago Tuesday night, a mystery unfolded south of Newton along Rocky Ford Road.

Ken Mohler, then 71 years old, had gone to a wood products company to work on a plumbing issue for them. No one was supposed to be there at the time, but someone apparently was, and Mohler has not been seen since.

"It is foul play," said Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid. His investigators scoured the area in the weeks after the disappearance, but no clues were found.

The family put up a $5,000 reward for information. No one has claimed it.

"We are willing to double it," said Kenny Mohler, son of the missing man. The $10,000 reward will be paid, he said, if the information leads to "the arrest and conviction of the people responsible."

Bumping this thread. I'm more of a lurker here but only recently heard about this through a family member. Apparently one of my in-laws met Ken once or twice working at the mill fixing things. He did a lot of the same sort of work at another location, but helped get the Newton site up and running.

Unfortunately, he's passed away and I can't ask him about his experiences down there, but I know thefts occurred several times from the Newton location before it closed.

Unfortunately, the market went to crap about the time the new mill was built, and it was apparently always a struggle to keep it going. The 2008/2009 years were particularly bad, and lumber was hard to come by in the area where they built the mill. I have heard they sometimes might have missed getting paychecks to Ken when he was due them, and while I can't 100% confirm this, it seems likely from the people I have talked to about those years. Money was stretched very thin. As best I understand, they finally went bankrupt about a year after Ken disappeared, reforming later on, and now are currently in business with a new name, though they lost the new mill in the process.

I can't add terribly much else, but it's bothersome that someone could go missing so easily in that area. Just some thoughts:

If someone did harm and possibly kill Ken at the mill that night, they had several options for disposing of his body. For starters, IIRC the county landfill is just across the road. While I don't know how easy it would be to get in there at night, or what kind of security they have, it's within the realm of possibility to dump something there with enough effort.

Second, a main branch of the Catawba river is just east of the mill, less than a mile down the road. It runs all the way into South Carolina, passing through several lakes. Searching it's entire length, or even the stretch that runs through the county is not only a massive undertaking, I doubt it was even attempted. Catawba is a wet county too. Lots of ponds and lakes. There's even one directly across from the road that leads to the old Gregory mill.

Third, highway 321 is a major artery though the area, and if the killer or killers took Ken (alive or dead at the time) with them, they could have ended up literally anywhere, though I believe they would most likely be locals who had burglarized the facility before.

Also, here's a video of the mill after it got operational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUWLGaxrMQQ

Also, I'm trying to understand the timeline of events....

Thursday, 8/16/2012 4:00-4:30 PM Ken is working at home on some drywall. He is not scheduled to work at the mill this particular Thursday, but receives either a text or call from his boss about a water leak at the mill. Ken leaves for the mill around 4:30. Regardless of what route he took, it's about a 20 minute drive south from Hickory to the mill in Newton. Ken likely got there just before 5PM.

5:00 PM Ken arrives and likely begins working on the water leak. During this time some reports say a truck driver may have been overnight parked at the facility, leaving early Friday morning. According to Ken's family, that driver was interviewed by police and his story checked out, so he is not a person of interest.

7:30
Ken texts his wife to say the leak has been fixed. Says he should be home within the hour.

8:05 Ken texts his boss to say the leak has been fixed.

8:30 PM This is about the time Ken should have arrived home, depending on what he had to clean up after fixing the leak?

10:00 PM According to Ken's wife, she assumes Ken has had something else come up at the mill and goes to bed.

Friday 8/17/2012 About 7:00 AM One of Ken's coworkers arrives to find Ken's truck at the mill with keys in the ignition and Ken nowhere in sight. When he calls Ken's cellphone he hears it ringing somewhere outside and eventually finds the phone "buried" in some dirt. The coworker then called 911.

8:30 AM By now, the search is in full swing, with the local sheriff's dept out in full force. They searched the mill and surrounding property for 7 hours with officers and at least one cadaver dog. Sometime during this 7 hours, Ken's wife shows up at the mill looking for Ken after having been shopping that morning.

I'm glad they put this article out however,If you take a moment to read this then look at any of the news articles from when my dad went missing you will see some differences... but i would definitely recommend listening to the blogtalk radio show we did if you have the time.
~What happened to Kenneth Mohler, his family is missing him~

Thank you to everyone for all the support
Kenny
Kenny, I am so sorry for all you’ve had to endure since he went missing.

My brother went missing years ago. My three sisters and I searched for over a month. Then one day...we found his ravaged body in the woods. It’s was so terrible. I’m glad we found resolution. If we would have not found him, I guarantee we would still be out there placing posters and searching. My parents at least have the peace that he is in a peaceful resting place. The not knowing is absolutely the worst feeling. Again, I’m so sorry for your pain.
Pam

Bumping this, as Ken has been on my mind a lot, lately. My fiance and I have been acquainted with Ken and his son for some time, before the disappearance. Kenny is a great guy and I pray daily that the family will finally get the closure they deserve.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back