GUILTY NC - Sandy Reidel, 29, manager, killed in Applebees robbery, 15 June 2009

I am just glad LE got this guy. Now he can either spend the rest of his life in prison, or hopefully get lethal injection.

Doesn't it all just really suck, though? A nice, hard-working (extra hard-working, from the looks of it all) young woman gets shot by a sad idiot who should really be in jail still. Even though he's been caught, I'm just so mad!! He goes off to spend more time in jail at the taxpayers' expense, and a family (including work "family") are devastated forever. Argh!!!

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5383862/

(pictures to right of article, first one is of the perp mean mugging for the camera and the second is of Sandy)

Updated: Jun. 18 8:11 p.m

...Joshua Lindell Rouse, 22, of Roanoke Rapids, made the confession after being arrested Thursday on first-degree murder charges in the death of Sandy Denise Riedel, 29...

...She was last seen alive about an hour earlier when her boyfriend brought her coffee, authorities said...

...Riedel had cuts and stab wounds, Hinton said...

...McGee said Rouse was a "recent" employee and that company officials were still looking up his employment records...

...Cindy Riedel (Sandy's sister), said Rouse was fired Thursday morning, and that he was was an Applebee's employee when the murder happened...

...A memorial service will be held at Jones Funeral Home in Swansboro at 2 p.m. Friday...

Cindy wrote on Jun 18, 2009 10:09 PM: " This is from Sandy's sister. Joshua Rouse was CURRENTLY employed at the time of her murder. She let him in because she thought he was there to start his day at work. Applebee's just fired him this morning when they learned he was being arrested. This is the absolute truth. I contacted Applebee's and they said they would correct it, but it is not yet corrected. I don't mean to say they have not tried and am not blaming them for a thing as they have been so kind to my family, but I also want the whole truth to be told! Again, Joshua Rouse was CURRENTLY employed at the time he brutally murdered by beautiful baby sister. "
This is from the comments left on the local paper's online article.

Swansboro NC I wonder why restaurants allow any employee to work alone at any time. I work for the Federal Govt and they can't even work an employee overtime anywhere in the building unless there is at least one other employee working within shouting distance. This is simply for safety purposes! I also can't imagine why an organization as large as Applebee's isn't getting background checks on any person they hire before they put them to work. A background check can be had in 2 minutes for $9.95 on the net. Interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

I live in North Carolina, probably 2 hours away from Roanoke Rapids. I agree with you about the background checks. It doesn't take long at all and I thought most organizations did background checks. I believe most businesses in my area do require them. I know that I was required to do one at one time. We have a local Applebees and I think I will be inquiring about this as this does concern me.

RE the hiring of the ex-con killer, in theory I support the reintegration of former inmates who have done their time and who express a willingness to go straight and avoid a life of crime, yet I must admit to the NIMBY syndrome. I'm not sure I'd want to work alongside an ex-con convicted of a violent crime, and I'm certain that I wouldn't want my daughter working with one. I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite. I see it as a catch-22, because if nobody is willing to hire them, what choices do they have but to return to thefts, burglaries and drug sales? But surely those who were as violent as this guy was could be weeded out a bit better? Not all ex-cons have the capacity to kill. But determining which one does and which one doesn't is basically just a crapshoot.

RE the hiring of the ex-con killer, in theory I support the reintegration of former inmates who have done their time and who express a willingness to go straight and avoid a life of crime, yet I must admit to the NIMBY syndrome. I'm not sure I'd want to work alongside an ex-con convicted of a violent crime, and I'm certain that I wouldn't want my daughter working with one. I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite. I see it as a catch-22, because if nobody is willing to hire them, what choices do they have but to return to thefts, burglaries and drug sales? But surely those who were as violent as this guy was could be weeded out a bit better? Not all ex-cons have the capacity to kill. But determining which one does and which one doesn't is basically just a crapshoot.

So this ex-con had what most ex-cons strive to get--a job....why on earth did he do this???

I hate to say it folks, but it's all about the bottom line. Employers who hire ex-cons are given tax credits, etc.
http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/itb_employing_ex_offenders.jsp

Unfortunately in some cases these companies eagerness to make $ is costing lives. There is no way for the employer to know the ex-con will re-offend, I do not blame the employers for that. However, exercising common sense (i.e. not hiring a convicted robber to work in a business where fellow employees handle money) could save lives.

I also believe that people can be rehibilitated especially people who offended at a young age like this guy did but looking at the infractions he had in prison it seems obvious his violent behavior was still prevalent. Besides that, even if he had been a model prisoner I do think companies who employ someone convicted of a violent crime should make sure that all other employee's are aware and the mgmt should take extra precautions to make sure this person is not left alone with other people, etc.

However, in this case it sounds like even all the precautions in the world couldn't have prevented this. He showed up, she let him in thinking he was there to work and barring having bodyguards at the door nothing could have prevented what happened.

It is so sad and senseless.

Wonder if he thought nobody would be there? Or if she wouldn't resist being robbed? She must have fought back and suprised him for him to consider murder with a shot to the face/head.

He had to kill her, she knew him. Usually in robbery killings such as this it's an employee or ex-employee who did it. Sadly it happens, and the stupid killer most always gets caught. It's such a waste.

Swansboro NC I wonder why restaurants allow any employee to work alone at any time. I work for the Federal Govt and they can't even work an employee overtime anywhere in the building unless there is at least one other employee working within shouting distance. This is simply for safety purposes! I also can't imagine why an organization as large as Applebee's isn't getting background checks on any person they hire before they put them to work. A background check can be had in 2 minutes for $9.95 on the net. Interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

If they had done a criminal background check they probably never would have hired the guy. Who would have trusted him with his background. I wonder what he put on his application.....felon? I think it is worth the $9.95 to run a check on every potential employee in any business. It just might save someone from getting murdered or your place of business getting ripped off. Some places are just to cheap though and especially with the turn around most places like this have.

So the killer knew this girl. The whole thing is just really sad. I agree, no employee anywhere should work alone. It all comes down to money though. I also don't believe women should be allowed to walk to their cars alone after dark. Especially when their cars are parked a distance from the front door.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back