NC - UNC Chapel Hill shelter-in-place order, armed, dangerous person killed Dr. Zijie Yan, 28 Aug 2023 *arrest*

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WBTV/Gray News) - A shelter-in-place order has been given at the University of North Carolina on Monday afternoon due to the threat of an “armed, dangerous person.”

In an alert, the university said the person was on or near the school’s campus.

Those on campus were instructed to go inside and avoid windows.

The initial alert was issued just after 1 p.m. About 30 minutes later, the university said the alert remained active.

Updated Aug. 28 at 2:03 p.m.: The suspect is being questioned in police custody but their handcuffs have been removed, according to ABC11's live broadcast.

According to UNC Media Relations, the active situation is ongoing and the campus remains on lockdown.

Updated Aug. 28 at 1:50 p.m.: An Alert Carolina message sent at 1:50 p.m. confirmed that the shelter in place order is still in effect.

Updated Aug. 28 at 1:35 p.m.: According to Orange County Fire and EMS radio, there was a report of at least one shot fired in Caudill Labs on South Road with at least one person wounded.
The suspect, a male in a gray shirt, is now in police custody. Students are sheltering in place as law enforcement officers and medical officials respond to the scene.

An Emergency Alert Carolina was sent to University members at 1:04 p.m. alerting campus of an “armed and dangerous person on or near campus."

According to the email, University police advise all students to go inside immediately, close windows and doors and to wait until further notice.

UNC Media Relations said they have no further information at this time.

Gov. Roy Cooper released a statement Monday afternoon appearing to confirm that the situation involved a shooting.

“My office is in communication with law enforcement and officials at UNC-Chapel Hill who are taking precautions to protect campus safety following today’s shooting,” Cooper said in a 2:49 p.m. post on X, formerly known as Twitter. “This is a tragic way to start a new semester and the state will provide any assistance necessary to support the UNC community.”

UNC Police announced at 2:35 p.m. that officers are looking for a person of interest in connection with the “armed and dangerous person situation.” Anyone who sees this person, pictured below, is asked to keep their distance and call 911. Image appears to match a photo on the UNC directory of graduate student Tailei Qi.
1693250004612.jpeg

ABC 11, a local news channel, showed more than a dozen emergency response vehicles parked on campus.

A local school district, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, said that classroom instruction could continue as normal but that schools were in “secure mode,” meaning all school building doors were closed and locked and people were not allowed to enter or leave school buildings.

• Classes started a week ago for the new school year. Last fall, UNC-Chapel Hill had about 31,700 students, including about 20,000 undergraduates

DailyMail.com can reveal that the physics student had been working as a research assistant at the university since 2022, according to his social media.

He also previously attended Louana State University, and obtained a master's in material science in 2021.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> When I first heard about the active shooter at UNC my heart dropped. My granddaughter attends UNC at Charlotte. Finally, I heard UNC Chapel Hill. I feel for the parents whose children attend there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am so tired of this!

I saw a live shot on WRAL so no link, but an interview of a mom at local elementary school waiting to get her kindergartner. Local public schools in Chapel Hill went into lockdown as a precaution. So sad for everyone there on campus and off. Can you imagine the little kindergarteners on their first day of school ever?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back