NC - UNC Chapel Hill shelter-in-place order, armed, dangerous person killed Dr. Zijie Yan, 28 Aug 2023 *arrest*

As someone who graduated a few years ago from a NC university and has lots of familiarity with UNC, his level of English skill is completely normal to encounter with international graduate students. I was a stats minor and would occasionally go to office hours. All of the TAs were Asian PhD students and were often incredibly difficult to understand, with quirks in their speech that seem similar to his tweets. I believe those are common grammatical problems for those with an Asian language as their first language. There are labs/working groups at universities where most people are Chinese and speak Chinese commonly at work. I know someone who worked in such a place.

I am very interested to see what else comes out as far as personal disputes, etc. Obviously Qi did not have any kind of healthy work-life balance, putting in 60-80 hour weeks.
60-80 hour weeks are normal at high-quality grad programs. Some undergrad programs, too. We had a minimum standard of 3 hours prep per hour of class. If you take a lab science (we had a year required), this would mean 3 1 hour meetings per week, 9 minimum hours of prep, and 3 hours in the lab. That's one of 4/5 courses: 15 hours just for this one class, at 100-level. Higher levels, and you're talking more hours.

So, IME work-life balance is not reflected in this case, except as an individual problem, which it might have been for this particular person.

I agree that Qi makes English errors that are very typical for a native Chinese speaker just learning the English language. Shame on universities if they aren't bothering to require standardized ESL tests before they're accepted. Qi lacks not only language skill, but his lack of ability is not just linguistic, IMO. I think maybe he can't articulate basic thoughts and feelings in any language.

We don't know if Qi was getting held back at UNC.

60-80 hour weeks are normal at high-quality grad programs. Some undergrad programs, too. We had a minimum standard of 3 hours prep per hour of class. If you take a lab science (we had a year required), this would mean 3 1 hour meetings per week, 9 minimum hours of prep, and 3 hours in the lab. That's one of 4/5 courses: 15 hours just for this one class, at 100-level. Higher levels, and you're talking more hours.

So, IME work-life balance is not reflected in this case, except as an individual problem, which it might have been for this particular person.
Are you suggesting that we should just accept 60-80 hours weeks as the standard? Or should it just be dismissed as an issue because it commonly happens? As someone with many friends, family, etc in high-quality, high-ranking grad programs, that is not considered good balance nor should it be acceptable. Especially as you get much over 60 hours. I was just talking to a friend yesterday who is getting her PhD in a science at a UC school and was saying how miserable every single person in her program is, because they are working long hours like you say are fine/not reflected in this case. Yes, they are "normal." They are commonplace. They are also very bad for the people going through them. Dismissing the toll that may take on students because they are normal is not helpful or good. There is a reason groups that are commonly overworked, such as medical residents, are organizing against these outdated practices.

Are you suggesting that we should just accept 60-80 hours weeks as the standard? Or should it just be dismissed as an issue because it commonly happens? As someone with many friends, family, etc in high-quality, high-ranking grad programs, that is not considered good balance nor should it be acceptable. Especially as you get much over 60 hours. I was just talking to a friend yesterday who is getting her PhD in a science at a UC school and was saying how miserable every single person in her program is, because they are working long hours like you say are fine/not reflected in this case. Yes, they are "normal." They are commonplace. They are also very bad for the people going through them. Dismissing the toll that may take on students because they are normal is not helpful or good. There is a reason groups that are commonly overworked, such as medical residents, are organizing against these outdated practices.
There seems to be confusion about what's working and what's studying. Working on a research project as a basis for a degree is not the same as going to an office and drawing a salary. My undergrad, as I mentioned, had expectations about how much preparation a student should be doing per hour of class. In some departments, it was a lot higher. That's studying, not reporting for a job.

I am not saying everyone should be fine with 60-80 hours of work or study, and I haven't met anyone ever who has been happy at grad school, but it's a choice. If you're not into it, you either grit your teeth or leave. I gladly did that much prep at one campus (it was thrilling to be learning so fast), but couldn't tolerate it at another (it was boring).

Qi's work load will have been exponentially increased by his lack of facility with language. What might take a regular grad student 40 hours might take him 60, because he can't express himself, people have to speak slowly to him, etc. I don't believe this is entirely an English problem (he sounds very immature in his way of thinking about social experiences), but not being able to communicate easily with fellow grad students is IMO a non-starter if you want a social life.

I'm thinking Qi's problems go a lot deeper than a heavy workload. The language ineptitude is a big red flag, but that's just a start.

There seems to be confusion about what's working and what's studying. Working on a research project as a basis for a degree is not the same as going to an office and drawing a salary. My undergrad, as I mentioned, had expectations about how much preparation a student should be doing per hour of class. In some departments, it was a lot higher. That's studying, not reporting for a job.

I am not saying everyone should be fine with 60-80 hours of work or study, and I haven't met anyone ever who has been happy at grad school, but it's a choice. If you're not into it, you either grit your teeth or leave. I gladly did that much prep at one campus (it was thrilling to be learning so fast), but couldn't tolerate it at another (it was boring).

Qi's work load will have been exponentially increased by his lack of facility with language. What might take a regular grad student 40 hours might take him 60, because he can't express himself, people have to speak slowly to him, etc. I don't believe this is entirely an English problem (he sounds very immature in his way of thinking about social experiences), but not being able to communicate easily with fellow grad students is IMO a non-starter if you want a social life.

I'm thinking Qi's problems go a lot deeper than a heavy workload. The language ineptitude is a big red flag, but that's just a start.
I promise I understand the difference between work and study. My point was that expecting anyone to spend that much of their life (80 hours!!! that's over 11 hours every day of the week!) on the type of activities needed to obtain a graduate degree can understandably lead to burnout and is generally unacceptable.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill issued an emergency notification at 12:54 p.m. The alert says there is an “armed and dangerous person on or near campus.” Faculty and staff are advised to. Go inside immediately. Close windows and doors. Stay until further notice. Follow directions from emergency responders or university officials.

The report follows the fatal on-campus shooting of Zijie Yan, an associate professor, less than three weeks ago. That shooting sent the university campus into lockdown for more than three hours. Tailei Qi, a graduate student, is accused of first-degree murder in Yan’s death.

UNC police have given an all clear message to the campus community, ending a scary hour for students and staff at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
(...)
A source told WRAL News that the boyfriend of an employee at Alpine Bagel Cafe entered the cafe, waved around a gun and left. That person is now believed to be off campus. Police did not provide a description of the man.

The alert has been lifted, no shots fired, injuries or deaths. Thank goodness. How awful for everyone there at UNC to have this trauma so soon after the last one.

According to WRAL News:

UNC police have given an all clear message to the campus community, ending a scary hour for students and staff at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

The university issued an emergency notification on Wednesday afternoon about an armed or dangerous person on or near campus around 1 p.m. The all-clear notification came around 2:10 p.m.

A source told WRAL News that the boyfriend of an employee at Alpine Bagel Cafe entered the cafe, waved around a gun and left. That person is now believed to be off campus. Police did not provide a description of the man.

Students, Faculty, and Staff:

A suspect has been arrested and is in custody in relation to today’s armed and dangerous person incident. At 12:54 p.m., an Alert Carolina was issued and the sirens were activated because of reports at the Student Union of a person who brandished a weapon. UNC Police reported no shots fired. The situation was related to a personnel matter for one of our auxiliary units.

The initial Alert Carolina Emergency message was sent at 12:54 p.m. and the all clear message was sent at 2:10 p.m. UNC Police are working closely with Chapel Hill Police Department to gather information and continue their thorough and professional response.

At approximately 2:45 p.m., the Chapel Hill Police Department arrested Mickel Deonte Harris in the 300 block of Formosa Lane on an outstanding order for arrest. Charges are pending regarding today’s incident.

Anyone with information about this incident should call UNC Police. The UNC Police Department is available 24 hours a day by calling 911 in an emergency or 919-962-8100 for non-emergency assistance. Officers are also available in person at the Public Safety Building located at 285 Manning Drive.

For updates on alerts, visit alertcarolina.unc.edu.

Attorneys for a University of North Carolina graduate student accused of killing his academic advisor said in court on Tuesday that a doctor has found their client not competent to proceed with trial.

Defense attorneys for Tailei Qi told Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour they plan to file a motion challenging Qi’s capacity to proceed. Meanwhile, the judge granted a request from prosecutors to get a separate competency evaluation.

I guess sometimes it's just someone really is crazy and has "gone off the deep end" and many school shootings are like that, but they seem more random in nature and the killings are many and without real concern for who or how many. This seems targeted and specific. I will be following for sure to try to understand better. I could be way off and of course this is all my opinions based on what I've read and saw so far.
Truly picking at straws because I couldn't imagine his circumstances or motive in any right mental capacity... I totally agree the disregard of human life in modern news is horrific.

A therapy dog has joined the UNC Police Department and will begin working with students, faculty and staff after she undergoes training.
IMG_3932-1200x675.jpeg

The as-yet unnamed female Goldendoodle puppy will work directly with Community Services Officer Destiny Wylie, who said adding a therapy dog to campus police has been a top priority for her because she considers it vital for a healthy campus community. “Mental health is a big topic right now, so providing the therapy dog for students, faculty and staff is a great idea,” Wylie said.

Research shows therapy dogs positively impact students’ moods, and they have become more prevalent on college campuses, according to Inside Higher Ed. The dogs typically serve as comfort animals to students, visit campuses during high-stress times and work alongside public safety officers.

After Zijie Yan, a professor and nanoscience researcher was killed in a campus shooting on Aug. 28 last year, local nonprofit HAPPEE Hugs and Pups brought a Wheaten Terrier named Murphy to campus for students to pet. Murphy isn’t a therapy dog, but Cathy Emrick, chair of the HAPPEE Board of Directors, said the organization has been coming to campus four times a week since the 2020–21 academic year following three UNC student deaths. “I think it’s fantastic for campus police to have a therapy dog,” Emrick said. “Dogs are incredibly powerful when it comes to comfort and easing stress. We see it every week.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back