NC - UNC Chapel Hill shelter-in-place order, armed, dangerous person killed Dr. Zijie Yan, 28 Aug 2023 *arrest*

One confirmed dead: https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/28/us/university-of-north-carolina-shooting/index.html

He refers somewhat cryptically to conversations with his "PI" in his tweets, which I took to be "principal investigator" since he is doing post-grad research. It will be interesting to see if this is who the victim is.
This is something that I can't stop thinking about. Shooting happened at Caudill Labs at UNC campus. Qi was also a member of the Yan Research group studying light matter & photonics... interesting enough- those meetings held in Caudill labs. Zijie Yan is an interesting name

This is local to me and I have many friends who have family members who either attend or work at UNC. It's been a long, hard day. If this turns out to be some kind of incel thing, I'm gonna lose my mind.

ETA: I may lose my mind anyway. He clearly felt unfairly treated or something. I feel horrible for this man's family and loved ones. Teaching should not be a life-on-the-line kind of job.

This is nothing new. I was at the University of Iowa when this happened in 1991, and in fact had taken physics the previous semester. Neither my professor, who still teaches there, nor my grad assistant without whom I would not have passed the class, were shot, but I did recognize the professors who died when I saw their pictures.

There's a book about it called "Deadly Scholarship" which I did read, but it's not very good.

Professor Z Yan is named as victim. RIP, Professor Yan. This is all so senseless

This was my gut feeling when I first commented in this chat and once I did all the backing up that Dr. Yan was indeed his graduate study director. Once I saw Yan's name on the grant number I researched my heart broke. I didn't want to believe it but I checked Yan's office location on campus and I saw Caudill...

I have friends going into education and I truly fear the days they go into work.

This is local to me and I have many friends who have family members who either attend or work at UNC. It's been a long, hard day. If this turns out to be some kind of incel thing, I'm gonna lose my mind.

ETA: I may lose my mind anyway. He clearly felt unfairly treated or something. I feel horrible for this man's family and loved ones. Teaching should not be a life-on-the-line kind of job.
Me too. I heard about this case around 2 pm and I haven't left my computer since. I have friends at UNC as I also am in school within the system. My mother was also an educator during the UNC Charlotte shooting and i've never stopped looking for answers since then.

Why would you lose your mind if its an incel thing? I don't understand why some are so focused on incels?

Tailei Qi is in custody on charges of first-degree murder charge and having a gun on education property and will have his first court appearance in Hillsborough at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, said prosecutor Jeff Nieman, whose district covers Orange and Chatham counties.

(snip)

Investigators have not found the firearm that was used in the shooting and it’s not known whether it was legally obtained, James said.

Arrest warrants stated that the “defendant unlawfully, willfully, and feloniously did kill and murder Zijie Yan.”

The warrant said Qi had a 9mm pistol handgun on educational property at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Tailei Qi is in custody on charges of first-degree murder charge and having a gun on education property and will have his first court appearance in Hillsborough at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, said prosecutor Jeff Nieman, whose district covers Orange and Chatham counties.

(snip)

Investigators have not found the firearm that was used in the shooting and it’s not known whether it was legally obtained, James said.

Thank you for the county and prosecutor drop. I hope some in this group will continue to follow this story through the court frame.

They took down Qi's profile on the UNC website, but this page for the research group still has him:

I still have the grant file from the national science foundation with Dr. Yan as the thesis director which should be public access forever. If this was something you wanted to check out on the grant end of their research together, the code is 2131079. Take this code and look up NSF (national science foundation) grant look up, you should find the approved research grant in which Dr. Yan & Qi worked side by side with another researcher. Many of Qi's sickening tweets, I believe talked about the research study in which seems to have fostered anger and hostility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back