ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't play very much of the sister's interview on Dan Abram's show. When the entire interview ran on the local news, she was very emotional and said something to the effect that "Dru's family has been through a lot and not to take anything away from them, but my family has been through a lot, too." She also said that there should have been some sort of half-way house or other support system for people who are released from prision. My personal opinion is that she knows he is guilty. From what I understand, his family has been in contact with him and has been urging him to cooperate with the authorities.

Let's say a prayer for this family, too.

Originally posted by MissMisty
OK, Greta just said there's been a "terrifying" turn of events in the search for Dru and said "What was found in her alleged kidnapper's trunk...is Dru dead?" Does anyone know what she's referring to?!
Misty

They found a knife in AR's trunk with Dru's blood on it.

Nevermind, I just heard that they found a knife and blood in the trunk of his car. Poor Dru...I do believe now that she is dead.
Misty

Not yet, she had layers of clothes on.

I was starting to doubt, but I just have to hold out hope nomatter what! The greater the FAITH the better the miracle.

You GO Law Enforcement!! Bring her HOME!

Originally posted by mindys
Not yet, she had layers of clothes on.
I was starting to doubt, but I just have to hold out hope nomatter what! The greater the FAITH the better the miracle.
You GO Law Enforcement!! Bring her HOME!

Mindys--
All she was wearing was some kind of shirt and a blazer. :(
I hope to God she is alive, but my hope took a major dive today. Today I had the awful thought that she was stabbed but not bad enough to kill her, but that she bled to death. :boohoo:
Where are you, Dru?
Misty

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_342174449.html/resources_storyPrintableView

WCCO-TV has confirmed that a knife was found in Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.'s car after the disappearance of a University of North Dakota student. The source told WCCO-TV that "significant evidence" was found on the knife.

Rodriguez, 50, is accused of abducting Dru Sjodin from a mall parking lot on November 22.

WCCO-TV has also learned that Rodriguez has been driving around with police, but has not offered any helpful information in the search for Sjodin.

Ok, I'm diving again.

Why don't they just now throw it all out there. Give us every thing they have on him, they are going to leak this all night long. The dragging it out and let's face it, everyone around the world who follows current events knows about Dru Sjodin. This is not good for the psyche.

Originally posted by Kira

WCCO-TV has also learned that Rodriguez has been driving around with police, but has not offered any helpful information in the search for Sjodin.

Driving around with Police??

Whatever the odds might be, I still think we are doing a disservice to the family by contributing to the idea that she is gone from us.
Lets just try to stay positive folks, because there is just no point in thinking the other way.

startribune.com

A DNA link is made in Sjodin case
Chuck Haga and Matt McKinney
Star Tribune
Published 12/09/2003

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- A preliminary DNA analysis of blood found in Alfonso Rodriguez's car matches DNA taken from a toothbrush belonging to missing North Dakota college student Dru Sjodin, two sources close to the investigation told the Star Tribune on Monday.

They and a third source close to the investigation confirmed Monday that investigators had found a knife in Rodriguez's car in a search conducted on Nov. 28, the day after Thanksgiving.

The knife, along with blood samples and a knife sheath that was discovered near Sjodin's car, are the main pieces of evidence tying Rodriguez to the crime, the sources said.

Along with some additional circumstantial evidence, that evidence has been sealed under a judge's order since investigators arrested the 50-year-old convicted sex offender at his home in Crookston, Minn., more than a week ago.

Searchers look for Dru Sjodin northeast of Grand Forks.

Mike Zerby
Star Tribune
Rodriguez was released from prison in May after serving a 23-year sentence for attempted kidnapping and assault.

Rodriguez said through his attorney on Friday that he was not responsible for Sjodin's disappearance.

"I did not kidnap her," defense attorney David Dusek quoted Rodriguez as saying during their third jailhouse conversation.

Dusek, who was appointed to represent Rodriguez just two hours before his first Grand Forks court appearance on Thursday, could not be reached for comment Monday night.

The knife found in Rodriguez's car belongs to a sheath that comes in a set, one of the sources said. The sheath was located early in the investigation near Sjodin's car, which was parked near the entrance to the J.C. Penney store in the Columbia Mall. Sjodin had left work at the Victoria's Secret store and shopped at another store in the mall before going to her car.

The sheath could only belong to a particular knife sold exclusively in a home improvement store in Grand Forks as a set, one of the sources said. "So the person who dropped this sheath had the knife."

The source described the knife as a folding buck knife -- an oversized jackknife -- with a blade 4 to 5 inches long.

A knife matching the knife that authorities knew went with that sheath was found when Rodriguez's car was searched. It was taken for processing by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which made the preliminary DNA match a few days later, the source said.

Thanksgiving search

Rodriguez was identified as a suspect because of his status as a Level 3 sex offender required to register his address with Minnesota authorities, the source said.

"We didn't focus 100 percent on him -- we were following other leads, too -- but with the knife, we thought, 'This is the type of guy who did this before,' " the source said.

Rodriguez used a knife in one of the assaults for which he served time.

The first search warrant on Rodriguez's Crookston residence, which he shared with his mother, was done at 4:40 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day by members of a multiagency task force based at the Grand Forks Police Department. Evidence collected was sent to a crime lab for analysis.

A second search was conducted several days later by a forensic team.

The first search warrant also authorized investigators to search Rodriguez and his car. The day after Thanksgiving, the car was taken to the BCA office in Bemidji for processing.

One of the investigative sources who spoke with the Star Tribune said that "blood and/or a biological substance was located inside the vehicle, and a preliminary examination states the DNA found in his car matches DNA taken from a toothbrush belonging to Dru."

A second source confirmed that the substance found was blood.

"We know that we have our man," one of the sources said.

He said that a small amount of blood was visible in the car.

He said that Sjodin family members normally would have been told immediately about such ominous developments, "but they may not have wanted to be told because they wanted to keep hope alive."

Allan Sjodin, Dru's father, said Monday that reports of police recovering a knife from Rodriguez's car shocked him, but "It's probably true," he told the Associated Press. "That's his modus operandi."

Constantly watched

Rodriguez was under constant surveillance by FBI agents and others once he was identified as a suspect, one of the sources said. "We wanted to make sure we had the right guy before we arrested him, but he was no longer a threat to the public."

All three sources expressed frustration that the evidence had been sealed, sparking rumors and the leaking of bits and pieces of incomplete and occasionally incorrect information.

"This should have been out a long time ago," one of the sources said. "People have been panicking and afraid to go to the mall. Their lives have been put on hold."

Sjodin, 22, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., went missing Nov. 22. Some 25 family and friends of Sjodin continued to search for her on Monday following a tip that came to the http://www.finddru.comWeb site. The tip was that Rodriguez enjoyed visiting the town of Alvarado, Minn., about 20 miles north of East Grand Forks.

"The guy liked this town; that was the tip," said Rick Weyhrauch, of Crosslake, Minn., a friend of Sjodin's boyfriend.

Volunteers fanned out on ATVs along a stretch of road north of the small community. They focused on abandoned buildings, Weyhrauch said.

Temperatures hovered below freezing on Monday with strong winds pushing snow across open fields near the search area. As temperatures drop in the days ahead, searchers will have to take extra precautions, said Mike Sjodin, a cousin of Dru Sjodin's.

"I heard it's supposed to be four-below on Wednesday," he said. "We might have to come up with a new game plan because we don't want anybody to get hurt. We don't need another tragedy."

Grand Forks police Capt. Mike Kirby said at a news briefing Monday afternoon that police were again asking homeowners in the region to check their property for anything unusual. He said police were especially interested in searching construction sites.

He spoke after a morning meeting of law enforcement agencies participating in the search, including the Border Patrol, local police and sheriff's offices and the FBI. The meeting was meant to coordinate the search effort and determine where police would look next, Kirby said.

The writers are at crhaga@startribune.com and mmckinney@startribune.com.

© Copyright 2003 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

This is very gross, but where the guy works with drywall:
what about looking inside the interior walls in the new construction and in crawl spaces?

Originally posted by IdahoMom
This is very gross, but where the guy works with drywall:
what about looking inside the interior walls in the new construction and in crawl spaces?

IdahoMom you maybe on to something I wonder if they have thought of that possibility.Also the Hispanic culture the one that fight and kill always use knives they hardly ever use guns. I guess more readily available. :mad: :mad:

I'm still keeping up hope that she will be found alive. The blood on the knife could possibly be just from a small nick or cut that she received when he grabbed her. I haven't seen a report that said how much blood they found on the knife or in his car. This is so hard to write.

Originally posted by starpatch
startribune.com

A DNA link is made in Sjodin case
Chuck Haga and Matt McKinney
Star Tribune
Published 12/09/2003

GRAND FORKS, N.D. --
They and a third source close to the investigation confirmed Monday that investigators had found a knife in Rodriguez's car in a search conducted on Nov. 28, the day after Thanksgiving.

The knife, along with blood samples and a knife sheath that was discovered near Sjodin's car, are the main pieces of evidence tying Rodriguez to the crime, the sources said.

Mike Zerby
Star Tribune

The knife found in Rodriguez's car belongs to a sheath that comes in a set, one of the sources said. The sheath was located early in the investigation near Sjodin's car, which was parked near the entrance to the J.C. Penney store in the Columbia Mall.

The sheath could only belong to a particular knife sold exclusively in a home improvement store in Grand Forks as a set, one of the sources said. "So the person who dropped this sheath had the knife."

The source described the knife as a folding buck knife -- an oversized jackknife -- with a blade 4 to 5 inches long.

Starpatch....and all. THis case is honestly making me feel sick at my stomach.

I know what the knife and sheath look like because at one time my late husband and I owned the first Cutlery Store in San Diego and we sold that knife. I don't know the EXACT model as Buck makes a great number of folding knives. We also owned stock in the Buck knife company which for years was in El Cajon, CA....about 15 miles East of San Diego. They recently moved to another Vacaville, CA . They were and still are a famous knife making company and it's been said that every American GI in WWW II owned a Buck knife.

I personally thought they were scary knives....made for hunting but very popular with the Motorcycle gangs. They'd adjust the knife so that they could FLIP it open by a twist of the wrist. I know, I'd see them trying to do that when they were looking to buy one! In other words just push on the release and then flick the wrist and it would open immediately.

How do you explain how someone become's so evil......we'd tried to figure Scott Peterson out and I still can't read him. It look's like LE has got the right guy and at this point I hope his attorney tries a plea bargain if he'll tell them where she is. (although LE say's they' won't accept that) Life without possibility of parole would be perfect. He'd be taken care of by Prisoner's rules....what he deserves. If they don't find this lovely Dru alive I think her parent's deserve to know where she is. I can't even imagine what they are going through. Absolutely sick! It's now over two weeks she been missing.

I'm going to spend some time on her website today and will post anything that seems new or interesting.

xxxxxxooooo
mama

The last report I saw said that they found a little blood but that the car appeared to have been extensively cleaned (interior and trunk). I'll see if I can find that link.

Either way I'm still holding out hope for Dru...until I'm given reason to think differently. She still needs our prayers.

Kira

My husband hunts, we have this knife. It is really dangerous, I used it once a few years back to cut a tag off something real quick - I almost cut my index finger off, real quick.

Smoke this creep!!!

Bubble,

Here is the info you requested:

The AP source would not comment on the Herald's report that the interior of Rodriguez's car and its trunk had been extensively cleaned.

This info came from this link:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/09/missing.student.ap/index.html

Whether it's true remains to be seen yet.

The part about the small amount of blood came from a reference in a article a few posts up.

It said:
"He said that a small amount of blood was visible in the car."

Prayers for Dru~

Mindys,

Would this lead you to think that he could have cut her "accidentally" and not fatally injured her with this knife then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname