NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

It's obvious that the authorities couldn't search everyone's house (along his potential route to the H.S.) - without probable cause, etc. It's also not clear who was also questioned in this case.

At this point, I don't know whether it's more likely JJ vanished due to going into a house, or due to being picked up in a car. I know the car theory isn't treated as too plausible due to JJ already walking to the school to be picked up by someone else. However, if he was:

- Running late (or felt he was running late);
- Worried that his co-worker would leave without him - due to her insistence that "you better be there";
- Hot due to the weather, etc., then -

It's possible that JJ may have thought that getting a ride to the school was a good idea - given that he would get to the school much more quickly. However, this would probably only hold true if he knew the person (even if this was just an acquaintance).

Again, this is such a puzzling case.

Last edited:
It's evident that the authorities didn't take this case that seriously in the early days. JJ was 19 & legally considered an adult, and I believe they initially thought he was a runway. I'm not at all surprised that there wasn't that much of an investigation in this case until 10 days after he vanished. My understanding is that the physical outdoor spaces/landscape (between JJ's home & the H.S.) were eventually canvassed/searched. I believe that some of the neighbors also helped search for JJ in these areas. This is based on his mother's interview in the podcast & other JJ posts I've read on this site.

However, it's obvious that the authorities couldn't search everyone's house (along his potential route to the H.S.) - without probable cause, etc.

At this point, I don't know whether it's more likely JJ vanished due to going into a house, or due to being picked up in a car. I know the car theory isn't treated as too plausible due to JJ already walking to the school to be picked up by someone else. However, if he was:

- Running late (or felt he was running late);
- Worried that his co-worker would leave without him - due to her insistence that "you better be there";
- Hot due to the weather, etc., then -

It's possible that JJ may have thought that getting a ride to the school was a good idea - given that he would get to the school much more quickly. However, this would probably only hold true if he knew the person (even if this was just an acquaintance).

Again, this is such a puzzling case.
Great minds think alike! A lot of the comments that came in recently I had bits and pieces of in my own that I was writing.

Like, I was typing up a similar list of reasons why he might have accepted a ride to the school from someone he was familiar or acquainted with, when under ordinary circumstances, he might not have. If that's what happened.

1.The heat - It was sweltering out
2.The time - He barely had time to walk there, any delay would be inconvenient to someone doing him a favor
3.His character -Jason was responsible and considerate, according to his mother, and if he thought he might be delayed, I can see him accepting a ride to the school,again to not inconvenience his coworker.
4. Hunger - Jason barely had time to shower, dress and get out the door, let alone grab something to eat. I, personally, don't make the best decisions when I'm hungry, and eating often falls by the wayside when we're in a hurry.
5. The terrain - at some point during his trek, Jason would have encountered at least one big hill, even if he avoided Bedford. That's no easy feat on a hot day.

I'm totally unqualified to talk about Catholic families in the mid West and his family's reaction may have been a major factor in secrecy whether it be a relationship with a male or female.
I have some qualifications on the subject- though there were / are millions of Catholic families in the midwest with many possible reactions.

Even still, I strongly suspect that he would not have been open about homosexuality. Given his family background, I strongly suspect that his family's reaction would be one of the following:

A. Absolutely unacceptable in this family. Change now! Or.... get out now!
B. Dont ask, dont tell.
C. We can accept that you are gay and have certain uhmm.... "friends". Homosexual relations, however, cannot be talked about, nor presented in our home.

Of these, "B" or "C" would be the most likely.

At the end of the day, the Catholic church began to soften its views on homosexuality relatively early starting in the 1970s. That does not mean that all priests, all cultural settings and all families went soft. Rather, it just made reaction "A" less likely.

The terrain - at some point during his trek, Jason would have encountered at least one big hill, even if he avoided Bedford. That's no easy feat on a hot day.
Hey, I dunno about this one? I don't think a 5 or 10 min walk would class as a trek even if it was a bit warm on that morning? Was the neighborhood really that hilly as to exhaust him? He was willing to walk miles to work I don't think he'd have found the distance to the school challenging enough to need a ride along the way.?

I do not dismiss the idea that Jason got into a car with someone. In this case everything's possible! But I can only visualise 2 scenarios where this would occur:
1) somewhat armed forced him in
2) someone he knew offered him a lift as far as the school

Scenario 1 presupposes that someone with a weapon just happened to be around and decided to snatch a grown man.
Scenario 2 presupposes that someone Jason knew stopped the car, or was on their driveway getting into their car, and offered to drop Jason off at the school on their way passed. It can't have been planned unless it was someone who knew of Jason's new schedule.

Hey, I dunno about this one? I don't think a 5 or 10 min walk would class as a trek even if it was a bit warm on that morning? Was the neighborhood really that hilly as to exhaust him? He was willing to walk miles to work I don't think he'd have found the distance to the school challenging enough to need a ride along the way.?

I do not dismiss the idea that Jason got into a car with someone. In this case everything's possible! But I can only visualise 2 scenarios where this would occur:

Scenario 1 presupposes that someone with a weapon just happened to be around and decided to snatch a grown man.
Scenario 2 presupposes that someone Jason knew stopped the car, or was on their driveway getting into their car, and offered to drop Jason off at the school on their way passed. It can't have been planned unless it was someone who knew of Jason's new schedule.
Right, I hadnt heard it was particularly hot that day. Besides, JJ had walked that route many times during his high school years, and he carried his work shirt with him, wearing a casual top instead. In seeing the route on a video someone took of his most likely route, it was not particularly hilly or difficult. The coincidence of some kind of armed man in a car just happening across JJ mid-morning is just too much to envision! This case has always astounded investigators and the public at large. Frustrating to say the least!

Right, I hadnt heard it was particularly hot that day. Besides, JJ had walked that route many times during his high school years, and he carried his work shirt with him, wearing a casual top instead. In seeing the route on a video someone took of his most likely route, it was not particularly hilly or difficult. The coincidence of some kind of armed man in a car just happening across JJ mid-morning is just too much to envision! This case has always astounded investigators and the public at large. Frustrating to say the least!
If it's the video I'm thinking of, the reason it didn't look too hilly or difficult is because the videographer avoided the hill (s) with the route they took. It was very circuitous, probably for that reason. IIRC, even studbkr said it was hilly, as he lived behind Jason when he went missing.

I can't remember where or when I heard/read it was a hot day. Looking at historical weather for that date, it was about 80ish degrees when Jason left the house, and temps climbed into the 90s. To me that's scorching, but to someone from down south, it probably is temperate.

If it's the video I'm thinking of, the reason it didn't look too hilly or difficult is because the videographer avoided the hill (s) with the route they took. It was very circuitous, probably for that reason. IIRC, even studbkr said it was hilly, as he lived behind Jason when he went missing.

I can't remember where or when I heard/read it was a hot day. Looking at historical weather for that date, it was about 80ish degrees when Jason left the house, and temps climbed into the 90s. To me that's scorching, but to someone from down south, it probably is temperate.
I think the videographer deliberately took the same route Jason was known by his family to take when he used to head to school. Either way, Jason seemed to be in fairly decent shape, and originally apparently had offered to his boss to walk the couple of miles to the restaurant. Anyways, makes sense that he carried his work shirt, being it was a hot day. :)

Jason did not have to be gay for the crime to be possibly sexually motivated. Most women that are a victim of a sexual are not interested in the person that attacks them (often quite the opposite, the attacker is rebuffed previously).

As for the neighborhood - I would think the amount of attention his mother brought to the case might have flushed out any characters in the neighborhood that people were suspicious of. I don't think there's anyone holding deep secrets about so-and-so and what happened that day that is going to suddenly come forward.

But I can only visualise 2 scenarios where this would occur:

Scenario 2 presupposes...... It can't have been planned unless it was someone who knew of Jason's new schedule.
I would go with scenario 2 as "out of the blue" armed kidnappings of adult males by sexual predators are nearly unheard of.

As for your presuppositions on "2", I don't think they are that limiting. Omaha at that time strikes me as being essentially "Smallville" where if you wanted to find somebody, one could have a pretty good chance of finding them by cruising their neighborhood which could well contain their home, hang out spots, and work.

The possible abduction may of been impulsive, with the perpetrator reaching a drastic decision on whatever motive (sexual, work related criminal etc.). Then cruising JJ's neighborhood and getting "lucky" by spotting him. JJ is then invited into a car to "talk"?

Last edited:
I would go with scenario 2 as "out of the blue" armed kidnappings of adult males by sexual predators are nearly unheard of.

As for your presuppositions on "2", I don't think they are that limiting. Omaha at that time strikes me as being essentially "Smallville" where if you wanted to find somebody, one could have a pretty good chance of finding them by cruising their neighborhood which could well contain their home, hang out spots, and work.

The possible abduction may of been impulsive, with the perpetrator reaching a drastic decision on whatever motive (sexual, work related criminal etc.). Then cruising JJ's neighborhood and getting "lucky" by spotting him. JJ is then invited into a car to "talk"?
I suppose I am going in the fact that his schedule changed so quickly that even in "smallville" it seems unlikely that anyone except his immediate family and workmates would be aware. Jason himself didn't have too much time to mess around before needing to leave.

If it was indeed an impulsive crime, it was a very very spur of the moment one, and Jason was actually the specific target then the perp got very lucky.

I'm not sold on him getting in a car. But if he did, even if he didn't really want/need to (but wasn't forced), why? Because it was someone he didn't want to say no to. Possibly a formal or informal 'authority figure', but even more likely just someone he'd simply want to be nice or appreciative towards. I lean towards Jason stopped somewhere of his own volition, but with the consensus he was a "nice guy" I think it's plausible he went by car. By the same token of being a nice guy, maybe he didn't think he had a reason to protest some "quick stop" the driver needed to make.

More important IMO, Jason's (likely) demise might not be directly related to Jason himself. Rather, did he see someone stealing something? Did he see someone doing something to someone else? The fallout gets bigger and bigger depending on what he saw/heard/or was told about. People kill witnesses all the time to defend reputation, avoid shame, and obviously stay out of the clink. I can think of several people in this neighborhood who would qualify. It would become all but certain if a witness might "tell" or otherwise blow it. So, in this hypothetical scenario...who is the original victim, and is he already dead?

It sounds like neighbors offered the police their homes to search, helping to rule out wasteful time. But this might not have even reached refusal of entry w/o probably cause or a search w/o a warrant. Before all that...why might some folks not even be considered? Who is "the last person you would think" could do this? Or, what place wouldn't be subjected without more of a reason than other locations? All to say, if this person/place was eventually checked, Jason's remains could be gone.

My six million dollar question has always been: Why that particular morning?

If it was an opportunistic neighbor, then that question is moot. We have an impulsive individual who saw a chance and took it. However, if it was someone known to Jason, why the rush to make him disappear there and then? Why couldn't it wait until after his shift at Fazoli's?

The reason I suspect Jason may have had something of a 'double-life' is because no persons of interest have ever been identified. No friends or associates have ever come under suspicion. Nothing. If there was foul play involved, then I find that highly unusual.

The complete lack of clues and leads does point to an organized individual. They not only managed to make Jason disappear in broad daylight, but they've avoided suspicion for over two decades, and prevented his body from ever being found. Although, undoubtedly the lack of urgency from law enforcement, and Jason's low-risk victim profile, also afforded them a huge slice of fortune.

If it was indeed an impulsive crime, it was a very very spur of the moment one, and Jason was actually the specific target then the perp got very lucky.
"Very lucky", or maybe just "lucky", or maybe "not that lucky" at all?

Going into rough percentages..... Fazolis is open 10:30 to 10:00. The perpetrator knows that that Jason usually walked to work. Lets say it took Jason 20 minutes to walk to work and 20 minutes to return....

- A potential perpetrator could encounter Jason over a 40 minute period every say, 12 hours. Thus, he would have a say, a 6% chance of encountering Jason (very lucky). But....the perpetrator could also make two or three "drive arounds" in the course of a day with out standing out. This boosts his chance of encountering Jason to say, 12-18% (just lucky?).

But.... lets say that even with the schedule change, the perpetrator knew some general information about Jason's work schedule. Say, the perpetrator knew that Jason rarely closes, or maybe rarely opens.

- Lets say that this insider knowledge reduces the patrol "coverage window" to 7 hours. This would yield say, a 9% chance of encountering Jason on a single driver around. Two "drive arounds would boost it to 18% and three such drive arounds would bump it to 27%.

Going one more step further (and risking the limb breaking).... lets say the perpetrator had general knowledge of Jason's hours, and also had say, insider knowledge of the fast food industry and knew how part time schedules usually work.

- This enables him to reduce the "coverage window to 5 hours. This yields a 16% of encountering with one drive around. This then climbs to 48% with three. Could also increase his chance of getting noticed while "cruising", but not drastically so.

Last edited:
"Very lucky", or maybe just "lucky", or maybe "not that lucky" at all?

Going into rough percentages..... Fazolis is open 10:30 to 10:00. The perpetrator knows that that Jason usually walked to work. Lets say it took Jason 20 minutes to walk to work and 20 minutes to return....

- A potential perpetrator could encounter Jason over a 40 minute period every say, 12 hours. Thus, he would have a say, a 6% chance of encountering Jason (very lucky). But....the perpetrator could also make two or three "drive arounds" in the course of a day with out standing out. This boosts his chance of encountering Jason to say, 12-18% (just lucky?).

But.... lets say that even with the schedule change, the perpetrator knew some general information about Jason's work schedule. Say, the perpetrator knew that Jason rarely closes, or maybe rarely opens.

- Lets say that this insider knowledge reduces the patrol "coverage window" to 7 hours. This would yield say, a 9% chance of encountering Jason on a single driver around. Two "drive arounds would boost it to 18% and three such drive arounds would bump it to 27%.

Going one more step further (and risking the limb breaking).... lets say the perpetrator had general knowledge of Jason's hours, and also had say, insider knowledge of the fast food industry and knew how part time schedules usually work.

- This enables him to reduce the "coverage window to 5 hours. This yields a 16% of encountering with one drive around. This then climbs to 48% with three. Could also increase his chance of getting noticed while "cruising", but not drastically so.
Except that Jason didn't usually walk to work. He drove. Jason's car was in the shop for repairs and he had planned to get a ride from his Dad before being called in to work early.

Why couldn't it wait until after his shift at Fazoli's?
I fully agree- objectively, that would have been a better time for such a possible perpetrator.

But..... a good many perpetrators are not given to objective thinking. Rather, they can make very subjective decisions to say: Find Jason and confront Jason- now! No, nothing else matters!

The possible perpetrator, knowing where Jason works and having a rough idea of his schedule, gets into his car and does a few "figure 8s" through his neighborhood and the streets immediately by Favolis..... .

Last edited:
Except that Jason didn't usually walk to work. He drove. Jason's car was in the shop for repairs and he had planned to get a ride from his Dad before being called in to work early.
Yikes, thanks for the information.

With this information, a targeting perpetrator who also have to know that Jason would be walking for a few days. This would not be classified information to somebody familiar with Jason- but still, Jason had a limited circle.

Thus, how far would word of Jason walking to work get? Then, factor in the schedule change. Jason usually driving to work can change alot...

It could de facto make a targeted crime have to originate from with in the neighborhood. Perpetrator sees Jason walking, does not care where he is walking to, or why he was walking. Then makes an impulsive decision to approach Jason for a "talk" a "promise" etc.?

Last edited:
I don't believe that JJ's vanishing off the face of the earth was due to the perp. being a criminal mastermind who has been able to skillfully evade/deflect the authorities for two decades.

Conversely, I suspect that this was very possibly a spur-of-the-moment/unplanned crime. And, I completely agree that the perp. just got lucky. The authorities may not have even questioned them. As has been discussed, the physical outdoor area(s) of the neighborhood were searched for any sign of JJ. But, it's unclear to what extent the authorities went around & canvassed the houses/knocked on doors/etc. And, even if they did - the perp. could easily have played dumb, etc. Obviously, this was not a high-priority investigation.

Going along with all of this, the perp. may have moved away from the area years ago and/or may be long deceased at this point.

Last edited:
And keep in mind, not all information has been released. It's entirely possible the perpetrator was known shortly after Jason's disappearance. Without the evidence to go forward with charges it will be at an impasse indefinitely.

Yikes, thanks for the information.

With this information, a targeting perpetrator who also have to know that Jason would be walking for a few days. This would not be classified information to somebody familiar with Jason- but still, Jason had a limited circle.

Thus, how far would word of Jason walking to work get? Then, factor in the schedule change. Jason usually driving to work can change alot...

It could de facto make a targeted crime have to originate from with in the neighborhood. Perpetrator sees Jason walking, does not care where he is walking to, or why he was walking. Then makes an impulsive decision to approach Jason for a "talk" a "promise" etc.?
I'm not sure word of Jason walking had gotten anywhere at all. Jason wasn't aware he was walking until not long before.
Jason never walked to work, it was miles away. I'm not sure how long his car had been in the shop or if this was the first work shift he was without it.
Jason wasn't walking to work that day, he was walking to a rendez vous with a colleague at the local school car park.

In order to target Jason specifically at that time someone would need to be aware of all of these last minute changes of his routine, and get him into a car unnecessarily and all this in a suburban neighborhood.

I'm not sure word of Jason walking had gotten anywhere at all. Jason wasn't aware he was walking until not long before. Jason never walked to work, it was miles away. I'm not sure how long his car had been in the shop or if this was the first work shift he was without it.

In order to target Jason specifically at that time someone would need to be aware of all of these last minute changes of his routine.....

Yes. My understanding was that JJ's car was in the shop due to hail damage. Not sure how long he didn't have access to his car up to the day he disappeared. Also, my understanding was that JJ's parents had been dropping him off & picking him up @ work (while he didn't have his car) prior to his vanishing. I don't believe he had ever walked all the way to/from work before, given that it was a long distance.

The big change that occurred on that particular day was that his work called him in early, so - given that both of his parents were at work - he needed a way to get there. This is why his co-worker either volunteered to pick him up - or was told to do so by someone @ his job.

So, while it seems apparent that JJ's walking through the neighborhood was a familiar sight in the evening(s) in the months leading up to his disappearance - it's not evident that he was walking a lot during the day. So, his being seen walking through the neighborhood during that particular time was probably an anomaly.

Side-note: I know that in the summer(s) in my area, people sometimes walk early in the morning or in the evening - when it's cooler outside. But, it's rare that I see people walking in the afternoon(s) - due to it being the hottest/warmest time of day.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.