Nestle CEO: Water Is Not A Human Right, Should Be Privatized

Went through the A-Z list and use hardly any of their products anyway and those I can replace. I guess I can live without a Butterfinger...we are now addicted to Gummys anyway.

Can you put this on FB, Steely?

Here's the petition to stop the multinational exploiting our resource for profit. Please sign!! And thanks for creating this thread SD!! If we had Emu's here, they'd be thanking you too!

Friends,

Nestlé's Chairman and former CEO once infamously declared that "access to water should not be a public right." And now his company is putting into practice its belief that every resource should be commodied and sold off. Nestlé is sucking up water from a Canadian watershed during drought conditions -- to bottle and sell it off.

Nestlé has won a permit to drain an Ontario aquifer whenever it likes. Meanwhile, the surrounding communities which rely on the aquifer have by-laws to restrict their access to their own water during dry conditions in the summer. This just isn’t right, and Maude Barlow, the Council of Canadians, and Ecojustice are fighting back against Nestlé and the Ontario government office that handed out its permit. It shouldn’t take a legal proceeding to force Nestlé to do the right thing. Let’s tell Nestlé that a community’s access to its own water supply is more important than any company's profits.

I told Nestlé to stop draining Ontario’s water source during drought conditions to sell bottled water by signing this petition.....http://action.sumofus.org/a/nestle-water-ontario/?sub=taf

So Steely Dan, can you give up your strawberry quik?

They really are the producers of chemical carp aren't they?? When you need to test your 'foods' on lab animals before declaring them fit for human consumption, there's a problem. Turns out I've been boycotting their 'foods' already for years.

Steely it's strawberry season. Puree those suckers and freeze them for use year round!!

There are many places in the US where it is illegal to catch rainwater. Seriously unbelievable and scary but true.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/us/29rain.html?_r=0

This is just so freaking outrageous. I am big into the theory of living a simple life and not being chained to a city full of rules about what I must and must not on my own property. That is why I left the city and never looked back.

We live a simple life on a huge piece of property. We ditched the city water here because it was packed full of chlorine, e coli and cloudy. There was minimum charge per month, even tho we used less than that each month.

So my hubby, who is stubborn and hates city crap as much as me decided that since we have a well for the horses and cows in the pasture that he could hook us up to that, So he did just that! We have well water and love it. No monthly bill!! Meanwhile those city azzes still try to send us a bill for garbage pickup which we do NOT get and other city crap.

I would get solar power if I could afford the panels. I hate the over regulated world of corporations and their endless greed and quest for power over everything. Oh and I seriously hate Monsanto as well.

Just for you, Steely:

"In the mornin' you go gunnin'
For the man who stole your water..."

:floorlaugh:

So Steely Dan, can you give up your strawberry quik?

:sigh: I guess I'll have to. I just bought a new box of it the other day so I can ease myself out slowly.

Went through the A-Z list and use hardly any of their products anyway and those I can replace. I guess I can live without a Butterfinger...we are now addicted to Gummys anyway.

Can you put this on FB, Steely?

I don't do Facebook, well as little as I can.

The guy has backed off his comments and it looks like they're not trying to corner the water market, (Like the villain in Quantum of Solace.). I eat Hershey when I want chocolate anyway.

I just read the title and automatically wanted to throat punch the guy... wtf?!

People like this... who just want more and more money for themselves and other like them... erg... I can't even put into words what I feel about them! Lets just say my thoughts aren't very nice right now mkay?

Brands owned by Nestle
The 'water' section is quite extensive...
Looking thru the list I don't eat too many things made by nestle.

I don't eat anything made by Nestle (except Nestle's Strawberry Quik), so I'm good.

Sad. Very sad. What people think they can get away with. I hate paying for water in bottles- it's highway robbery and should be against the law. I have well water and I'm glad I don't have to pay, pay, pay.

How am I going to make chocolate chip cookies now? I'm already unhappy with Hershey because they moved a lot of their production to Mexico. Will have to check into this again.

Hard to believe anyone can be so greedy. Water is a human right, as far as I'm concerned.

So should we start boycotting Nestle?

I already boycott Procter and Gamble, and Walmart, what's one more company to avoid? Haha

No. Why make everyone who works for Nestle pay for this guy's opinion?
Many in Florida have their own wells and pumps, mostly used to water lawns. With the right equipment it can be made potable. In Nam we took nasty river water, filtered it, added chlorine, and it was drinkable. This guy's a Swiss miss.

How am I going to make chocolate chip cookies now? I'm already unhappy with Hershey because they moved a lot of their production to Mexico. Will have to check into this again.

Hard to believe anyone can be so greedy. Water is a human right, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care if Hershey makes chocolate out of puppies. I'm eating it! I Love Hershey bars!!!

http://equalexchange.coop/products/chocolate

They only have chocolate bars, but you could probably smash them up and make chocolate chunk cookies.

Can you tell I'm kinda like a super hippie? That's the only brand I know for great chocolate that's not local to where I live.

I don't care if Hershey makes chocolate out of puppies. I'm eating it! I Love Hershey bars!!!

I used to work near the Mars factory in Chicago and the smell of chocalate was warm and comforting.

:floorlaugh:

Eat your Hershey bars but complain to the company on this CEO's opinion. Maybe this will turn their thinking around.

Cisterns and wells will probably be taxed according to their size. As in 'how dare you steal our water'! It's mine, mine, mine!

Well my family has a home sitting under the Mississippi River...if this guy tries to take "our" water that is "protecting" it, we'll shoot the varmint!

Well my family has a home sitting under the Mississippi River...if this guy tries to take "our" water that is "protecting" it, we'll shoot the varmint!

Next thing the varmint will want is all the oceans!

He'd probably like to tax all the 'tears' in the eyes of thirsty dying children.

This CEO comes across as a delusional psychopath....like I said, he makes me think they are advertising a new Austin Powers movie.

The gall of this guy is amazing. Seriously, he wants to own water. If he were to ever get away with such a sinister thing, I would encourage everyone to sue him and his company whenever water caused damage or death. Floods, leaky roofs, drownings, crop damage, boat accidents, etc. File every petty suit you can to keep him in court and drain as much of his profits as possible.

We live right on the levee of where the Mississippi used to flow. Every year the water comes up the levee and rises to 20 feet in some parts of the wooded swamp area that are usually dry. Really amazing to watch. Some of the houses and camps on the "wrong side of the levee" are bult up 20 feet in the air on stilts, or my personal favorite- built on huge blocks of styrofoam that allow the house to float when the water reises. How freaking ingenious is that!!

So incredible that this man thinks he can gain control over water when water can be such an uncontrollable force of nature.

The wiki page lists Nestle's brands worldwide. Good luck keeping all of these in mind next time you go shopping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nestlé_brands

Of course the CEO has these attitudes about water. This is the same company that continues to purchase cocoa from plantations that are known to use child slave labor. And yet this year they were listed as one of the world's "most reputable" companies:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...s-top-ten-most-reputable-companies-2013-04-10

TY for this link!

I just scanned it, looking for U.S. brands. No more Haagen-Dazs or Dreyer's for me, and my partner will have to learn to live without his DiGiorno frozen pizza (blech).

According to the wiki, Nestle also owns 30% of L'Oreal and its brands. I didn't know that!

Years ago, my family & I gave up Coco-Cola products after we learned how they were draining a major aquifer in India, devastating family farms in the region that were dependent upon water from the aquifer.

We're much healthier now. We can live without Nestle products, as well.

Does this guy have a brother working for the Staten Island water authority?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...taten-Island-Rep-Michael-Grimm-212630241.html

And he probably has a relative in on our new "flat rate" water charge at our town homes....whether the town home is occupied by one resident or eight...everyone pays the same flat rate per month.

That's some :censored: up :censored:

You should get the James Bond movie Quantum of Solace. It's along the lines of what this Nestle :censored: wants to do.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back