GUILTY NH - Camden Hughes, 6, suffocated, Hampton, 14 May 2011 #2

RIP, Camden

I read in one of the articles (sorry, don't have the link handy) that no one has been charged, yet. Is that correct?

After reading the newspaper articles and her facebook page, I can not help believe that this was nothing but a horrible accident. i think she panicked and placed him where she did so that he would be found quickly. The whole situation is sad.

If that were true, then what is the reason that she was in New England? Her older son is out of Norfolk, VA.

After reading the newspaper articles and her facebook page, I can not help believe that this was nothing but a horrible accident. i think she panicked and placed him where she did so that he would be found quickly. The whole situation is sad.

Except she lied about where she was, where she was going, why she was there, and said everything was ok. IMO, the trip sounds premeditated. And then you have the source who claims she said she went there to do this.

If this was planned, why wouldn't she do things like hide his body and claim he's missing to try and get away with it? Also, if they both did have colds...I could see them being awake at say 3am and she's so tired that she gives him MORE Nyquil so she can get some sleep and so could he and she finds him passed away at 5:30. I still don't get the maine connection. The FB page says something about her older son being out to sea on April 21st. This is what someone said when she said she was looking for Ian(her older son)...."He's out on the ocean, got a message from him after I saw his posting. He says he is in friendly waters on this side of the world. April 21 at 1:07pm"

So sad.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/27938956/detail.html#ixzz1Mk8aCDFO
<snip>
Lurae McCrery, the boy's grandmother in Nebraska, said she last saw the child in early May. She said she also thought he was still in the Texas mobile home park with his mother, with whom he had a good relationship.

"It's just horrible. I just can't begin to tell you how I feel. It's so unreal," she said.

She said she received a text from her daughter on Tuesday afternoon.

"It says, 'I wish we could come over and have supper with you tonight. I miss you so bad,'" McCrery said.

So just yesterday she texted her mother? And talked to her friend Tonya?...and acted like nothing was wrong. I wonder if she was fishing for information to see if anyone knew anything?

I don't buy the accidental overdose one bit. I would like to know how much she "accidentally" gave him. If it hadn't been that long since his death, I'm sure there is a way to find out. And who in their right mind gives a child Nyquil??? It is not for children. Nyquil contains acetaminophen so I'm guessing that's what caused death.

The maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen is 4 g in adults and 90 mg/kg in children. Toxicity is associated with a single acute APAP ingestion of 150 mg/kg or approximately 7-10 g in adults. The ingested amount at which toxicity may occur may be lower in the settings of chronic ethanol use, malnourishment, or diminished nutritional status, fasting, or viral illness with dehydration, or if substances or medications that are known to induce the activity of the CYP oxidative enzymes are being used. When dosing recommendations are followed, the risk of hepatotoxicity is extremely small.

I'm quite certain it would take more than a few spoonfuls to OD a child. From everything I've been able to read online, it's stated it would take 3 whole bottles to OD an adult.

Camden, a beautiful name for a gorgeous boy. RIP angel.

KXAS-TV in Dallas spoke with McCrery's landlord. The landlord told the NBC affiliate that police in Irving told her that McCrery was taken into custody and that the little boy was dead. The landlord says she called McCrery a week ago and told her that she was in Boston for her aunt's funeral. The landlord also told KXAS that the boy's father was killed a couple of years ago in a motorcycle accident.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/159699/2/Julianne-McCrery-questioned-about-death-of-son

anyone have the video handy of her being taken into the hospital?

It was just on JVM, not sure it she has these videos on HLN accessible yet or at all.

So she told various lies as to where they were, at work, sick, Boston for a funeral. What was she planning on telling people when she got home and they started asking where the baby was? This reminds me a bit of Casey except at least this mother fessed up to LE

He was in school I imagine she called him out sick or said they were going on vacation but eventually wouldn't they have wondered why he never came back?

Good points Lorin. The way this seems now, she gave plausible-sounding excuses for both her and Camden to be absent from TX. And yet all of those excuses would have had an "end date" when he would be back in school, she would be back around, etc. So IMO in her mind this was a one-way voyage.

The focus on NH indicates that this is where she ODed him. I wonder if she had not been caught, would she have committed suicide somewhere along the route back to TX?

My heart aches for beautiful little Camden (also the name of a town in Maine). I am only glad that LE was able to give him his name back in death.

Children have a lot lower tolerance for most medications, as their less mature livers and kidneys can't clear them out as fast as healthy adults. A cut down dose by pound/kilo doesn't always come out straight, as the "half life" (therapeutic level) can be much longer. The same applies to those with impaired organs, those that are old and those receiving multiple meds that compound each other.

Good points Lorin. The way this seems now, she gave plausible-sounding excuses for both her and Camden to be absent from TX. And yet all of those excuses would have had an "end date" when he would be back in school, she would be back around, etc. So IMO in her mind this was a one-way voyage.

The focus on NH indicates that this is where she ODed him. I wonder if she had not been caught, would she have committed suicide somewhere along the route back to TX?

My heart aches for beautiful little Camden (also the name of a town in Maine). I am only glad that LE was able to give him his name back in death.

Yes, I think you are quite right. At least one of the news stories said that she said she wanted to kill herself, was contemplating killing herself. I believe that may have been the plan, to the extent that there was a set plan.

Maybe she didn't have the nerve to follow through with the suicide (which sometimes happens), and had the "accidental" overdose story as a back-up plan.

I am still wondering if she might have had in mind to leave him in that particular town because of the other murdered boy having been found there in the past.

<respectfully snipped>

I don't buy the accidental overdose one bit. I would like to know how much she "accidentally" gave him. If it hadn't been that long since his death, I'm sure there is a way to find out. And who in their right mind gives a child Nyquil??? It is not for children. Nyquil contains acetaminophen so I'm guessing that's what caused death.

The maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen is 4 g in adults and 90 mg/kg in children. Toxicity is associated with a single acute APAP ingestion of 150 mg/kg or approximately 7-10 g in adults. The ingested amount at which toxicity may occur may be lower in the settings of chronic ethanol use, malnourishment, or diminished nutritional status, fasting, or viral illness with dehydration, or if substances or medications that are known to induce the activity of the CYP oxidative enzymes are being used. When dosing recommendations are followed, the risk of hepatotoxicity is extremely small.

I'm quite certain it would take more than a few spoonfuls to OD a child. From everything I've been able to read online, it's stated it would take 3 whole bottles to OD an adult.

You're totally right that it would take a LOT of Tylenol to cause an OD.

Tylenol overdose is usually over time from stressing out your liver... it's incredibly rare to have "immediate" death from acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol). It's usually from using too much for too long and then your liver gets mad at you and quits. It's a slow, painful death to die from Tylenol poisoning.

However, if it *was* Nyquil that was used, in addition to acetaminophen, Nyquil contains doxylamine (which has been reported to cause death if overdosed in young children -- but it would still take a HUGE amount, and it's still a rare substance to cause death), dextromethorphan (which can cause seizures and coma, but rarely death), and more worryingly, 25% (IIRC) alcohol.

IMO, if it was Nyquil, an actual OD would be due to the alcohol content and *maybe* the doxylamine... but in either case, would still take a large amount. Obviously, I don't know Camden's liver function or health history, so that could play a role, but I really feel like this was not an accident. Or mom could have been giving him a lot for a long time (as in, Camden won't sleep, I'm going to give him a bunch of Nyquil every night.) MOO. (I am a pharmacist, but I haven't been WS verified, so take that as you will. I can find links if anyone is interested.)

Also, if you "accidentally" overdose your kid, you take them to the ER or call poison control, or any number of things really. You don't drive them to Maine and leave them in a stranger's driveway. IMHO.

Somewhat OT: Also, for those that don't know. Sadly, it's not entirely uncommon for teens to drink a whole bottle of Nyquil to get a drunk/high feeling from the alcohol content. Many will even add a Sudafed pill which can be very dangerous. I believe some pharmacies have moved it behind the counter with an I.D. needed for purchase.

Not that it means anything in this case, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little chat with your kids to let them know the dangers.

:)

It's so sad that he had a whole life ahead of him and probably spent his last night with the mother he trusted to take care of him in that hotel. This story really gets to me. I don't know if it's his resemblance to my grandson or what, but my heart is heavy tonight, and has been since I heard of this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back