NJ - Erik Sturgis, 5, home alone, dies in fire, Sayreville, 4 March 2006

No, the father worked a morning shift for another employee. The boy died near the living room sofa playing with a 'safety' lighter.

Linda7NJ said:
I was under the impression the father was working at night and his son was asleep?

I hope the poor kid died in his bed, asleep, from smoke inhalation

I m under the impression that justice is to keep society safe not to exact revenge?

I believe this guy was an idiot and something should be done. I am not sure what?
I mean will others learn from this? I doubt it..

Marie said:
No, the father worked a morning shift for another employee. The boy died near the living room sofa playing with a 'safety' lighter.
oh my...how horrid!

Isn't there a degree of manslaughter that is specificaly linked to deaths caused by negligence? It seems as though this would fit the bill. I do feel for the father, this is without a doubt one of the worst case scenerios one could imagine occuring from a decision to leave a child alone. The picture I saw of him at his son's funeral crying truly broke my heart and I imagine his guilt and sadness will imprision him long after his court-sentanced time (if there is to be any) is over. Most single parents I know depend a lot on their families, and especially their parents, for support. Unfortunately due to his situation, this father was no longer able to do that. Perhaps part of his sentence can be giving talks about what happened to parents who are accused or suspected of leaving their children alone. If his sad story can wake up another parent to the very real dangers of leaving small children unsupervised then at least some good would have come of it. Since his crime does not suggest that he is a danger society I'm not sure jail time would be appropriate. I like the idea of having him work in the community, especially in terms of spreading awareness about this important issue.

Great point Captain! Much more good could come from making the public more aware of what can happen when kids are left alone at home than him serving jail time.

captain exposition said:
Isn't there a degree of manslaughter that is specificaly linked to deaths caused by negligence? It seems as though this would fit the bill. I do feel for the father, this is without a doubt one of the worst case scenerios one could imagine occuring from a decision to leave a child alone. The picture I saw of him at his son's funeral crying truly broke my heart and I imagine his guilt and sadness will imprision him long after his court-sentanced time (if there is to be any) is over. Most single parents I know depend a lot on their families, and especially their parents, for support. Unfortunately due to his situation, this father was no longer able to do that. Perhaps part of his sentence can be giving talks about what happened to parents who are accused or suspected of leaving their children alone. If his sad story can wake up another parent to the very real dangers of leaving small children unsupervised then at least some good would have come of it. Since his crime does not suggest that he is a danger society I'm not sure jail time would be appropriate. I like the idea of having him work in the community, especially in terms of spreading awareness about this important issue.
agree he is not a danger to society-
Good ideas you have for a punishment--

Father of fire victim gets child endangerment charge

"It is simply unacceptable under the laws of the state of New Jersey to leave a 5-year-old child home alone under the circumstances in this case," according to a statement released by the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office. The Prosecutor's Office said Sturgis failed in his legal duty to keep Erik safe from harm.

Borough police signed the criminal complaint against Kevin Sturgis Monday. He has since been released on his own recognizance. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back