NJ NJ - William 'Billy' Jones, 3, Vineland, 17 Dec 1962

The flower just keeps sticking in my mind as something a bit odd to give a toddler...I mean, a piece of candy, sure, or a little toy of some kind. It also suggests to me that it was an impromptu gesture, as it was just before Christmas and a pointsettia decoration could have been grabbed anywhere. Did the abductor improvise in giving something to Billy's little sister to keep her busy, or altogether improvise, not planning on taking a child until that moment?

Also, it seems specific that the abductor wanted a boy. Billy's sister was right there with him, and at age two would have been just as easy to abduct. Although she was younger, was her speech better than Billy's (as girls sometimes do?) It's noted that Billy did not yet speak well, although he was going on four. Perhaps the choice of child had to do with taking the one who would not be likely to prattle anything noteworthy or alarming to any people they met?

Not sure where I'm going with any of this, if anywhere; just kind of musing...

Forgot to add:

ShowImage

https://www20.state.nj.us/NJSP_Amber/DispatchAction.do?parameter=mp_detail&mp_id=738&type=mp

Wonder what happened to the dog ? Did it bark when/if a stranger came into the yard ? Did it follow Billy out of the yard ?

William Jones, Jr. - LAST SEEN: December 17, 1962

Three-year-old "Billy" Jones was playing with his baby sister Jill in the backyard of their Vineland home before he vanished. He was wearing a blue snow suit with large silver buttons and tan high-top tennis shoes.

CONTACT: Vineland Police Department, 856-696-1212. Jill Jones runs a Facebook page called "Find Billy Jones."

jonesjpg-8f42f4c0d8dbd1c0.jpg

Have you seen them? N.J. State Police are looking for these missing people

Bumping for Billy! How could this not be considered an abduction?

The only way would be for the family to have involvement which seems highly unlikely. Is this how the police would have handled a missing case back then? What was up with people posing as novelists etc and harassing the family.

I did a blog on Billy. William Ebenezer Jones III AKA Billy
There is so precious little out there about him. I even Google news archive searched and came up blank. I wonder if his sister is still searching for him. Maybe she would come on here. Also, maybe a local paper could write a piece on Billy's case still being unsolved.

Great blog nice that the link still works too.
The whole story is sad. So many questions go through my head.
Was there ever a sketch made of the man that took Billy?
Did anyone in the neighborhood remember seeing this man at any point? Or any new vehicles or neighbors around the neighborhood?
I wonder if anyone new complimented Billys mom in town at the supermarket or anywhere before he was abducted. Just seems so random. I think they were watched for some time before it happened.

Someone must of heard something through a family grapevine by now.
Does anyone know if there were any other similar abductions like that in that timeframe in any other county?

I need to go read the links in this thread but in the very first post, it states Billy was in the backyard and Mom was watching from the front window? Is this poor reporting, poor writing, what? Just the first thing that jumped out at me.

William was last seen in the backyard of his family's residence in Vineland, New Jersey around 1:00 pm on December 17, 1962. He was playing with his 2-year-old sister and the family dog while his mother watched through the front window inside the house. William's mother went into a bedroom to check on her other son. When she came back out, William's sister was standing in the doorway, holding a plastic flower. She said that a man had given her the flower and taken William. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him.

I need to go read the links in this thread but in the very first post, it states Billy was in the backyard and Mom was watching from the front window? Is this poor reporting, poor writing, what? Just the first thing that jumped out at me.

William was last seen in the backyard of his family's residence in Vineland, New Jersey around 1:00 pm on December 17, 1962. He was playing with his 2-year-old sister and the family dog while his mother watched through the front window inside the house. William's mother went into a bedroom to check on her other son. When she came back out, William's sister was standing in the doorway, holding a plastic flower. She said that a man had given her the flower and taken William. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him.

good eye.. I never caught that.. yeah it is oddo_O

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back