NV - Michael Landsberry, 45, killed, 2 injured in Sparks school shooting, 21 Oct 2013

Dear God, how awful. Those sweet boys put themselves in front of the girls.

That brought a tear to my eye, those kids must have all been so scared, but they still thought to protect the girls. Such brave young men.

My thoughts are with all, such a tragedy. Prayers for those who have lost a loved one today.

The student who authorities say killed a teacher in Monday's shooting at a Nevada middle school before taking his own life used a Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic handgun, Sparks Deputy Police Chief Tom Miller told reporters Tuesday. Miller declined to release the student's name out of respect for his family. "They are grieving parents and are going through" a challenging, difficult time, Miller said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/22/justice/nevada-middle-school-shooting/

That brought a tear to my eye, those kids must have all been so scared, but they still thought to protect the girls. Such brave young men.

My thoughts are with all, such a tragedy. Prayers for those who have lost a loved one today.

I got choked up when I heard that, too :cry: And, yes, those middle school boys are, indeed, BRAVE YOUNG MEN. :)

IMO, it's very strange that they aren't releasing the name of the shooter. It makes it seem like his family must have connections. And even though that may not be the case, it makes it appear like they are getting preferential treatment which leads to the question: Why? JMO. OMO. MOO.

I agree especially seeing as how the 9mm came from their house (or is "suspected" to have come from their house as if it is that hard to figure out).

The parents did have good taste in firearms as the late generation Ruger 9mm models are really nice weapons (and yes they come with a gun lock).

IMO, it's very strange that they aren't releasing the name of the shooter. It makes it seem like his family must have connections. And even though that may not be the case, it makes it appear like they are getting preferential treatment which leads to the question: Why? JMO. OMO. MOO.

Is it too optimistic of me to think they aren't releasing his name because they are trying to not have the focus be on the shooter to reduce the chances of someone else being a copycat? That was my thought when I was looking for his picture / name today.

(Also, hi. Long time lurker. First post.)

Is it too optimistic of me to think they aren't releasing his name because they are trying to not have the focus be on the shooter to reduce the chances of someone else being a copycat? That was my thought when I was looking for his picture / name today.

(Also, hi. Long time lurker. First post.)

Welcome!

And yeah you are being too optimistic. There have been some big name shooters in the last couple of years that could certainly have inspired copy-cats yet their names and faces were plastered all over the national media.

This 12 year old with a body count of one seemingly random teacher isn't likely to inspire anyone. Fortunately most other kids his age that might see him as a role model probably don't watch the news yet, they are too young and these days parents don't make them (unlike when I grew up).

Kip Kinkel...now he may have inspired copycats: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Kinkel"]Kip Kinkel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Just heard on local news, no link yet, that the parents may be charged with a crime as the son had access to the gun. That may be one reason no name yet.

I'm okay with no name yet. It gives more focus to the victims, even though 2 haven't been named as they are underage. It does allow time for media attention to slowly shift elsewhere while keeping the 2 underage victims somewhat protected from media, hopefully until mostly recovered.

The name will come out, and hopefully by then, anything LE may have found for his motive, ie: computer use, cell phone, etc...

Prayers for all harmed and their families.

ETA: Well, there are links all over the internet. Here is one:

Nevada shooting: Parents of suspect may face charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24631668

From Merc's link:

Officials also said the boy with the gun was unable to enter the school building, which was crowded with students, because staff followed security procedures.

I have driven past this school many times when taking the 'back way' to go food shopping. It is a nice neighborhood, with a mixture of ethnicities and age groups. I would be very surprised if his family 'has connections'. The boy is 12 years old and, after murdering a teacher, he shot and killed himself. What it takes for a 12 year old to do this is tragic; the act in itself is tragic but what led up to this act is equally tragic. Personally, I don't need to know his name. IMHO

I have driven past this school many times when taking the 'back way' to go food shopping. It is a nice neighborhood, with a mixture of ethnicities and age groups. I would be very surprised if his family 'has connections'. The boy is 12 years old and, after murdering a teacher, he shot and killed himself. What it takes for a 12 year old to do this is tragic; the act in itself is tragic but what led up to this act is equally tragic. Personally, I don't need to know his name. IMHO

This is front page news. We live in an open society. I can think of no other case where the shooter's identity was not revealed. Personally, I'm sick and tired of reading about these murders. These shooters are homegrown terrorists IMO and do not deserve special treatment. Further, I think it's time to start charging the adults who don't keep their guns out of their childrens' hands.

This is front page news. We live in an open society. I can think of no other case where the shooter's identity was not revealed. Personally, I'm sick and tired of reading about these murders. These shooters are homegrown terrorists IMO and do not deserve special treatment. Further, I think it's time to start charging the adults who don't keep their guns out of their childrens' hands.

Word.

Word, Word and Word.

:goodpost:

Just heard on local news, no link yet, that the parents may be charged with a crime as the son had access to the gun. That may be one reason no name yet.

I'm okay with no name yet. It gives more focus to the victims, even though 2 haven't been named as they are underage. It does allow time for media attention to slowly shift elsewhere while keeping the 2 underage victims somewhat protected from media, hopefully until mostly recovered.

The name will come out, and hopefully by then, anything LE may have found for his motive, ie: computer use, cell phone, etc...

Good news of charging the parents with something 'cause it may make parents be more like parents --> responsible.
Someone has to be responsible for the brutal, horrendous actions.
There can not be virtually a "free pass" with youngsters committing atrocities.

Police say the boy's parents are co-operating with investigators.

"We have been in contact with the parents of the suspect in this matter and out of respect for them, we will not be releasing the identity of the shooter," Sparks Deputy Police Chief Tom Miller said at a news conference.

"They are grieving parents and are going through a very challenging, difficult time."

I hope out of respect for the two injured students and Mr Landsberry (RIP), there will be charges that come out of this.

I find that odd too. The shooter is dead.

I find that odd too. The shooter is dead.

Which makes me think they are protecting the family. I'm curious why this family is receiving preferential treatment. It's very strange.

Which makes me think they are protecting the family. I'm curious why this family is receiving preferential treatment. It's very strange.

I am sure if we dug around local news sites and facebook posts we'd find this info, but NOT post here until MSM has...I do find it odd and I searched yesterday and it seemed scrubbed.

IF the family lived west of Plumas Ave, I would say there might be a possibility of preferential treatment but even then I would doubt it. They come from a working class neighborhood; not a lot of money, power or influence there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back