NV - Michael Landsberry, 45, killed, 2 injured in Sparks school shooting, 21 Oct 2013

I am sure everyone will know his name within short order. I don't have any problem with LE completing their investigation first. I don't need to have this information, what difference will it make to me?

jmo

That is why I was saying there is no political influence. It is my belief that it has to do with the bullying and possible litigation.

A lot of people keep to themselves there; it may be more suburban like but it is a city with city attitudes.

ok, got it!
Eventually the names will be released by law. LE doesn't have the power to refuse.
I think it's quite possible the school may be held accountable for ignoring the bullying.
I feel bad for kids who think they have no other options, but killing them isn't the solution.
I wonder what the bullies did to him to push him over the edge? (If that's even the case)

Are we allowed to link to his facebook ?
Won't do it yet since I'm not sure if he's the right person.
Looks like the same age.

Friend: Nevada school shooter typical kid, not loner; didn't complain of bullying

The Nevada middle school student who killed a teacher and wounded two classmates before turning the gun on himself appeared to be a typical 12-year-old who liked soccer, was good at video games and didn't have a lot of friends but "didn't seem to be a loner," a friend said Friday.

"I was really surprised he would do something like this," said Munoz, a sixth-grader at neighboring Agnes Risley Elementary.

"When I heard it was him who was the shooter, I went into a stupor and asked, 'Why did he do it?'" he said.

Reyes played soccer and often rode his bicycle in the working class neighborhood around the school, about 5 miles northeast of downtown Reno, Munoz said. He said the two played video games together, including Zombie games and the online building game Minecraft, and both were fans of MTV's comedy clip show, "Ridiculousness."

"He was more like your typical 12-year-old," Munoz said. "Right now, we all want to be popular. He wasn't one of those kids. He didn't have a lot of friends, but he had a couple of friends. He didn't seem to be a loner."

"He never told me he was bullied," he said. "Whenever we would go outside he was always smiling. He seemed happy ... He seemed intelligent. He won video games more often than not.'"

Munoz' remarks echoed those of other students who described Reyes as a shy boy, who nonetheless had friends and usually a smile on his face. He played the violin, according to his school music teacher, and was a big fan of the video game, "Call of Duty," other classmates have said.

It wouldn't be an excuse anyway. Being abused by your parents, or by your classmates, doesn't turn people into killers. It's how you choose to react to those events that counts. (I should know... am a survivor of both, and never killed anyone, nor wanted to.)

New police statement today:
Sparks Middle School shooting: Text of police statement

They're mentioning autism again. Nobody's saying it's the cause quite yet, but sooner or later they will. They always do when an autistic person, diagnosed or retroactively labeled, kills somebody.

I'm getting queasy Newtown-like feelings in my stomach. Every time somebody shoots people, they try to find anything different about them to blame it on; and then everybody else with that same trait wonders when people are going to start thinking they're killers, too. It does nobody any good when the authorities speculate like this. Take it into account, sure; it may help them find more clues, to know how the murderer thinks; sure an autistic murderer thinks differently from a typical murderer; but an autistic kid's not any more likely to become a murderer. Statistically, less likely, actually.

It really, honestly scares me when they draw connections like this. Autistics have got enough trouble without being labeled potential killers too.

That poor teacher, though. At least the body count is only one, but that doesn't make his family any less grief-stricken right now. Any news on how the surviving victims are doing?

Edit: OK, never mind, I checked a photo caption; they are indeed implying that autism is a causal factor. "Sparks Police Chief Brian Allen said that the Sparks Middle School shooter, 12-year-old Jose Reyes, showed 'signs and symptoms' of autism. He adds that there were external influences as well, but that 'we will never know the complete motive.'"

So autism's a motive now. Great to know. Somebody get these people a psychologist. Heck, a first-year psychology major could set them straight.

A profile on Jose Reyes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back