NV - Michael Landsberry, 45, killed, 2 injured in Sparks school shooting, 21 Oct 2013

IF the family lived west of Plumas Ave, I would say there might be a possibility of preferential treatment but even then I would doubt it. They come from a working class neighborhood; not a lot of money, power or influence there.

I've scoured the facebook pages and tweets and not one mention of the other boy shot or the deceased suspect. The internet has been scrubbed of any mention. I can't imagine the media keeping quiet on this this long.
Very strange!
Could the parents be affiliated with government or something where they have to protect their identity?
Any ideas?

So, what exactly is the content of some of the "anti-bullying" videos that are being shown to students in our schools? Who is making the videos? Who is approving the videos?

Sparks Middle School shooting followed anti-bullying video’s theme: student
Amaya Newton, an eighth-grader at the Nevada school, says students were shown a video on Oct. 11 that featured a victim threatening bullies with a gun. Newton says the unidentified shooter was often mistreated and may have been inspired by the alleged video.

BY NINA GOLGOWSKI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

"An anti-bullying video allegedly shown to the 12-year-old shooter at Sparks Middle School is being suggested as the inspiration behind his deadly shooting spree.

Amaya Newton, an eighth grader at the Nevada school, says the boy was often mistreated by fellow students and that the video showing a bullied girl retaliating with a gun in the days before may have "gotten into his head."

"She brought a gun on the bus to scare them and threatened to kill them," Amaya told MyNews4 of the video allegedly shown at school. "It was an anti-bullying movie but it could have gotten into his head about the girl scaring the bullies with the gun.""

Much more... Article and pictures. There is also mention of another video in relation to another student death.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...video-student-article-1.1493905#ixzz2iZXULjAm

www.rgj.com/article/20131023/OPED01/310230081/Editorial-Sparks-release-shooter-s-name-now

"......State law is clear: The name is public information.

Our state’s public records laws were established based on the belief that a more informed society is a better society. The Reno Gazette-Journal concurs.

Refusing to release the name serves no law enforcement or investigative purpose. No reasonable expectation of privacy exists in this case.

The Reno Gazette-Journal filed a formal request for the shooter’s identity after hearing Miller’s statements.

The law allows the city of Sparks five days to respond.

Northern Nevada needs answers now — not five days from now.

It’s time to move forward...." end of quote

-- An interesting 'read'. I think we need to know how a 12 year-old was able to get his hands on that weapon; two kids were wounded and a teacher is dead. I feel we owe them that much .
imo.

I've scoured the facebook pages and tweets and not one mention of the other boy shot or the deceased suspect. The internet has been scrubbed of any mention. I can't imagine the media keeping quiet on this this long.
Very strange!
Could the parents be affiliated with government or something where they have to protect their identity?
Any ideas?

http://www.rgj.com/comments/article...-1-updates-from-Sparks-Middle-School-shooting

If you read comments at this link, local media is taking a hit for putting juvenile witnesses' names, faces and interviews up in the beginning of this. All this was done without parental permission. Also, the teacher's family was contacted by media before LE had ever contacted them to notify them that their family member was dead. This may be a reason why there is a clamp down on info now.

I am still wondering what impact bullying had on this tragedy.

IF the family lived west of Plumas Ave, I would say there might be a possibility of preferential treatment but even then I would doubt it. They come from a working class neighborhood; not a lot of money, power or influence there.

911 calls detail anguish during Nev. school shooting
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/22/nevada-school-shooting-911-calls/3151121/

An officer who identified herself as "Ella, Reno," told the dispatcher that a student reported that the shooter was an "Hispanic male" in a gray jacket with a Sparks school emblem on it.

I remember every almost every school shooter's name was released caught alive or suicide, even the one who killed 6 year old Kayla Rolland at Buell Elementary School in 2000.

So, what exactly is the content of some of the "anti-bullying" videos that are being shown to students in our schools? Who is making the videos? Who is approving the videos?

Sparks Middle School shooting followed anti-bullying video’s theme: student
Amaya Newton, an eighth-grader at the Nevada school, says students were shown a video on Oct. 11 that featured a victim threatening bullies with a gun. Newton says the unidentified shooter was often mistreated and may have been inspired by the alleged video.

BY NINA GOLGOWSKI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

"An anti-bullying video allegedly shown to the 12-year-old shooter at Sparks Middle School is being suggested as the inspiration behind his deadly shooting spree.

Amaya Newton, an eighth grader at the Nevada school, says the boy was often mistreated by fellow students and that the video showing a bullied girl retaliating with a gun in the days before may have "gotten into his head."

"She brought a gun on the bus to scare them and threatened to kill them," Amaya told MyNews4 of the video allegedly shown at school. "It was an anti-bullying movie but it could have gotten into his head about the girl scaring the bullies with the gun.""

Much more... Article and video. There is also mention of another video in relation to another student death.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...video-student-article-1.1493905#ixzz2iZXULjAm

I'd love to see this video!

Very strange!
Any ideas?

If it's a working class neighborhood, perhaps the family have someone in LE?

If it's a working class neighborhood, perhaps the family have someone in LE?

Still seems like favoritism. Maybe, in all honesty it's the best decision, but it cannot be hidden forever, the media will find out and publish his name.

911 calls detail anguish during Nev. school shooting
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/22/nevada-school-shooting-911-calls/3151121/

An officer who identified herself as "Ella, Reno," told the dispatcher that a student reported that the shooter was an "Hispanic male" in a gray jacket with a Sparks school emblem on it.

I remember every almost every school shooter's name was released caught alive or suicide, even the one who killed 6 year old Kayla Rolland at Buell Elementary School in 2000.

Exactly. Philip Chism was named and charged within a day. This is completely out of the ordinary.

www.rgj.com/article/20131023/OPED01/310230081/Editorial-Sparks-release-shooter-s-name-now

"......State law is clear: The name is public information.

Our state’s public records laws were established based on the belief that a more informed society is a better society. The Reno Gazette-Journal concurs.

Refusing to release the name serves no law enforcement or investigative purpose. No reasonable expectation of privacy exists in this case.

The Reno Gazette-Journal filed a formal request for the shooter’s identity after hearing Miller’s statements.

The law allows the city of Sparks five days to respond.

Northern Nevada needs answers now — not five days from now.

It’s time to move forward...." end of quote

-- An interesting 'read'. I think we need to know how a 12 year-old was able to get his hands on that weapon; two kids were wounded and a teacher is dead. I feel we owe them that much .
imo.

BBM We lived near here when I was studying at The University of Nevada-Reno; guns are prevalent in that area. The first night we were there having moved from rural South Dakota, I walked the dogs at about 4 in the morning. I had a sheriff's officer stop and tell me it wasn't safe for me to be walking out in the dark. Hug High School was nearby and there were always problems with guns in that area. 2 guys went out from our complex at 7am one morning to rob an elderly couple down the hill. The elderly man was shot and killed and LE followed them back to our townhouse complex where both men were shot and killed by LE, I missed class that morning. This is also near where Brianna Denison was murdered.

I changed schools because one night we had a bullet go through the first floor window and a few days later we found a man stabbed to death in the courtyard. This is a little north of the worst area in Reno but still there are problems. I am not the least surprised that anyone could get a gun. I will stress most of these guns are not registered/legal guns like ours were but are unregistered guns.

BBM We lived near here when I was studying at The University of Nevada-Reno; guns are prevalent in that area. The first night we were there having moved from rural South Dakota, I walked the dogs at about 4 in the morning. I had a sheriff's officer stop and tell me it wasn't safe for me to be walking out in the dark. Hug High School was nearby and there were always problems with guns in that area. 2 guys went out from our complex at 7am one morning to rob an elderly couple down the hill. The elderly man was shot and killed and LE followed them back to our townhouse complex where both men were shot and killed by LE, I missed class that morning. This is also near where Brianna Denison was murdered.

I changed schools because one night we had a bullet go through the first floor window and a few days later we found a man stabbed to death in the courtyard. This is a little north of the worst area in Reno but still there are problems. I am not the least surprised that anyone could get a gun. I will stress most of these guns are not registered/legal guns like ours were but are unregistered guns.

Sounds like a rough neighborhood!

Sounds like a rough neighborhood!

College neighborhood, mixed ethnicities and a lot of through traffic. There were nice homes with elderly, younger couples and a lot of kids. Also houses, apartments, condos, trailers and townhouses and several schools. There was a WalMart and several other larger stores with grocery stores and fast food places. Not a place someone politically connected would live.

From Sparks Middle School website:

"A new program called “Safe Zones” has been implemented in all Washoe County Middle Schools due to the increase in gang activity, bullying, violence to students by other students, and lack of knowledge by the middle school student population of know where to go to receive help. Each middle school has established individual classrooms, located throughout the school, as designated “Safe Zone” for students. This will reduce the number of incidents of bullying, harassment, gang activity, and physical fighting. During high times of student traffic (passing between classes, lunch time etc.), if a student feels threatened, bullied, or the recipient of acts of violence, he/she can enter a “Safe Zone” classroom. In this secure setting, the teacher can ascertain what is going on, and call for help if necessary without interference such as trying to stop a fight, which will immediately create a safe environment for the student. Be sure to look for these signs spread throughout the school!"

http://www.washoe.k12.nv.us/sparksms/

College neighborhood, mixed ethnicities and a lot of through traffic. There were nice homes with elderly, younger couples and a lot of kids. Also houses, apartments, condos, trailers and townhouses and several schools. There was a WalMart and several other larger stores with grocery stores and fast food places. Not a place someone politically connected would live.

So, why would they hide the identity of the suspect and the other teen that was shot? Big mystery to me right now, I ma shocked not one teen or local posted or tweeted it. It's very odd to keep that many people quiet.

So, why would they hide the identity of the suspect and the other teen that was shot? Big mystery to me right now, I ma shocked not one teen or local posted or tweeted it. It's very odd to keep that many people quiet.

That is why I was saying there is no political influence. It is my belief that it has to do with the bullying and possible litigation.

A lot of people keep to themselves there; it may be more suburban like but it is a city with city attitudes.

Something strange is going on. The shooter is dead. How could releasing his name affect their investigation?

Something strange is going on. The shooter is dead. How could releasing his name affect their investigation?

Well the victim's families must also be in agreement about keeping the names hidden. They KNOW who shot their family members and they could surely leak that to the press if they wanted too.

Nevada school reopens amid call to name young gunman

The Sparks Police Department announced Tuesday that it would not release the shooter's name, citing his parents' grief.

"We have been in contact with the parents of the suspect in this matter and out of respect for them, we will not be releasing the identity of the shooter," said Police Chief Tom Miller. "They are grieving parents and are going through a very challenging, difficult time."

The Reno Gazette-Journal has filed a request to release the boy's identity, citing Nevada public-records laws. The paper is owned by Gannett, the parent company of USA TODAY.

---

BBM - The police reasoning strikes me as very odd. The editorial linked to in the article has quite a few comments and it seems like opinion is split between whether to reveal his identity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back