GUILTY NY - Driver pulled from SUV, viciously beaten by bikers, Manhattan, 29 Sept 2013

I watched the video and, at least from what I viewed, it looks like a bunch of terrorists on bikes. What exactly did they expect this driver to do, simply surrender his family to them!? Don't think so... JMO ~

Point well taken, sorry if I offended. However, how does one differntiate? I have often been in a group of bikers while drinving along major highways, they were annoying, weaving in and out, but not threatening. How would I, or anyone else, know the difference? When they stop in front of us?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just more curious than anything. If I was surrounded in a threatening way, I would weave, side to side, and take out as many as I could. Maybe "bikers" need to brush up, clean up, or give some sign they are friendly?

I don't hate bike riders, have done that myself, have friends who have, but the world is becoming a frightening place for many of us. Do you have any ideas on reconciation after this? I believe great harm has been done to "bikers", as you put it, and that is probably a shame. How can we come together and differentiate?

No offense taken at all! Just like anything else, there is the good, and the bad. I myself have been on a highway in our truck and been annoyed by people that weave in and out of traffic, and act stupid on bikes. I've also been annoyed by stupid people in cars doing the same thing. So, to me it just happens. Don't even get me started about people who can't put their phone down. :eek:

Clubs or Chapters of bikers are people who get together to enjoy the sport of riding. These are not gangs, or people out looking for trouble. They are usually professional people (doctors, lawyers, business people) who just enjoy riding. There are stories about biker gangs, like Hell's Angles, Outlaws, Bandidos, Mongols, who really are gangs and involved in criminal activity. They are the 1%. I often see Bandidos around here, and stay away from them. You leave them alone, they leave you alone.

As this article states:

However, there are small numbers of bikers who refer to themselves as “1%ers”. “One percenter” motorcycle gangs have been given this label because it is purported within motorcycle club circles that 99% of all bikers live within the boundaries of the law. Then there is the other 1% who rejects main-stream norms and live outside of the law, often engaging in highly criminal activity. This list takes a look at 10 American “1%er” biker gangs and highlights some of each gang’s alleged criminal activity.

http://listverse.com/2009/08/18/top-10-notorious-american-biker-gangs/

So, for me these morons on the crotch rockets are part of the 1%. This was a rare incident. I don't think it is necessary for any bikers to give a sign that they are friendly. 99% are! :) IMO Same with reconciliation. I agree that these fools make bikers look bad, but again they are the 1%. Like I said, there is good and bad in everything. :twocents:

http://news.yahoo.com/wife-biker-husband-victim-nyc-altercation-063414964.html

I feel bad for the man run over. I do really hope he can recover....

I hope some bikers step up and tell what happen before the SUV took off.

In the link I posted. "The biker then cuts in front of the Range Rover and, still staring at the driver, suddenly slows down. It isn't captured on the video, but the motorcycle and SUV bumped, police said."

Seems like there must of been some type of action before this took place.

Actually it is captured on video.

Dirt Bikes and Four Wheelers on the Highway??? I didn't think those were street legal...

Point well taken, sorry if I offended. However, how does one differntiate?

Well look at the bikes, that gives you a big hint (for those of us that believe in stereotyping and profiling). The "Harley" type bikers are often a completely different breed and many driven by older bikers including these days many yuppie older professionals that enjoy feeling like a "rebel" when their wives let them go out on weekends. The crotch rocket set are often young guys and it is becoming more popular with some urban youth.

I do not recall ever seeing Harley riders drive like idiots. Not saying it as never happened in the history of motorcycles but they are generally conservative and safety oriented while riding, they typically drive in two or more and behave like automobiles as they claim their share of the road. Now if you hit one they may attack your vehicle BUT they are generally safe drivers on the road. They move predictably and maintain safe distances around other vehicles.

Crotch rockets (the smaller sport bikes) are different type of bike and a different type of rider, those are the guys that start going 110 miles an hour on the highway (which can freak out other drivers when you hear the noise suddenly on top of you). They often get off on racing, weaving, outspeeding the police in some cases etc... Not saying they are all bad BUT they attract a different type of person than the big Harleys.

Well look at the bikes, that gives you a big hint (for those of us that believe in stereotyping and profiling). The "Harley" type bikers are often a completely different breed and many are older, the crotch rocket set are often young guys and it is becoming more popular with some urban youth.

I do not recall ever seeing Harley riders drive like idiots. Not saying it as never happened in the history of motorcycles but they are generally conservative and safety oriented while riding, they typically drive in two or more and behave like automobiles as they claim their share of the road. Now if you hit one they may attack your vehicle BUT they are generally safe drivers on the road. They move predictably and maintain safe distances around other vehicles.

Crotch rockets (the smaller sport bikes) are different type of bike and a different type of rider, those are the guys that start going 110 miles an hour on the highway (which can freak out other drivers when you hear the noise suddenly on top of you). They often get off on racing, weaving, outspeeding the police in some cases etc... Not saying they are all bad BUT they attract a different type of person than the big Harleys.

Hey now! I resemble that remark! :giggle:

In all seriousness, love your post! Spot on! In groups, the 2 person staggered formation is proper for safety. :)

Did the SUV driver hit a biker and then flee the scene of the accident? Why the driver thought he could outrun crotch rockets is truly a mystery.

The fact they felt safe physically attacking a family in an SUV and pulling the driver out to beat him is not a mystery at all considering the state.

As far as I can tell, the "violent motorcycle chase" didn't start until after the SUV driver drover over a couple of bikers. That is hit and run!

If the demographics of the SUV driver and bikers were reversed, I am sure comments about this incident would be very different and the SUV driver would be in jail.

If the demographics of the SUV driver and bikers were reversed, I am sure comments about this incident would be very different and the SUV driver would be in jail.

Care to back that up with a shred of evidence? I had no clue of what the demographics of the bikers is, considering they are in helmets. Care to tell me?

As far as I can tell, the "violent motorcycle chase" didn't start until after the SUV driver drover over a couple of bikers. That is hit and run!

A bike drove in front of him and slowed down. He bumped it. Chase began after that.

Watch again. They surrounded the auto and tried to pull him out of the vehicle.

WHAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Um... perhaps you should read the article(s) and watch the video before making unsupportable comments...

Bike "gangs" on the road generally have a total of upwards of half a million dollars under their legs. It takes more to buy a bike these days than a car, a friend who wanted one was just talking this weekend to me about it. I see dozens pass my house on nice days in the country and they are no more gangs than dozens of cars except their bikes are stunning. The only thing that annoys me is when they all stop at the local hamburger joint and there is no parking :D

Sure people can buy used bikes but most of the large groups are wealthy individual professionals who can pay off 30k for a bike. And as softail said they drive legally, safely and are no more a hazard on the road than a car driver. They may be a bit overwhelming in a group but even the hells angels have high end bikes and drive them safely, they don't want to be dead on the road any more than we do. Now their money may have come from criminal activity such as drugs and prostitution but it doesn't stop them getting the best they can. If nothing else they don't want their bikes scratched they are their babies. And that goes for the law abiding and the criminal. Rather than behave as these *******s, the easiest way is to drive safely for the outstanding majority.

I find a group of them beautiful on the road in a nice two by two formation with their helmets on and the sun glistening on new paint (for some reason i rarely see a dirty bike in groups of riders)

Bike "gangs" on the road generally have a total of upwards of half a million dollars under their legs. It takes more to buy a bike these days than a car, a friend who wanted one was just talking this weekend to me about it.

Harley's are pricey. Crotch rockets are FAR FAR less expensive, most of the 2014 Yamaha bikes are 5k - 8k brand new, used ones are much cheaper.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/yamaha.html

Um... perhaps you should read the article(s) and watch the video before making unsupportable comments...

The definition of demographics is:

"Demographics are the statistical characteristics of human populations, such as age and income, that are used by businesses to identify markets for their goods and services."

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/demographics#ixzz2gaL4xr4L

Many of those bikes are expensive. As much, if not more, than a car. You can see the bikers riding in the breakdown lane to pass the SUV, which is illegal, making it impossible for the driver to pull over to let the bikers pass. Most bikers I have encountered follow the rules of the highway and even in mass are respectful. This group appears to be out of control whatever their issue is or how it started. Whether the SUV driver were a man or a woman, I would have been terrified by the way they were driving and coming so close to the car on either side. The sad part is that one of the bikers recorded it while they were riding supposedly before they were aware of what was going to happen. That will not sit too well with most people and their impressions of riders in large groups. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back