GUILTY NY - Driver pulled from SUV, viciously beaten by bikers, Manhattan, 29 Sept 2013

Point well taken, sorry if I offended. However, how does one differntiate? I have often been in a group of bikers while drinving along major highways, they were annoying, weaving in and out, but not threatening. How would I, or anyone else, know the difference? When they stop in front of us?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just more curious than anything. If I was surrounded in a threatening way, I would weave, side to side, and take out as many as I could. Maybe "bikers" need to brush up, clean up, or give some sign they are friendly?

I don't hate bike riders, have done that myself, have friends who have, but the world is becoming a frightening place for many of us. Do you have any ideas on reconciation after this? I believe great harm has been done to "bikers", as you put it, and that is probably a shame. How can we come together and differentiate?

that is EXACTLY what I told my husband I would do. He said, "hell ya...take em all out to stay safe". I would have been terrified....you wouldn't have to drive fast at all...just zig zag and I would have NEVER gotten off the hwy!

For me, these fools aren't "bikers". Whenever I see someone on a crotch rocket, they are more often than not acting like asses. Weaving in and out of traffic, trying to be show-offs. Simply moronic idiots.

True bikers respect the law, respect other vehicles on the road, and most of all respect themselves. I've been to dozens of rallies, and have never seen this kind of jackassery going on. It makes true "bikers" look bad. :sigh:

Softail you were the first person I thought of when I saw this on the news! :seeya: I was wondering what your opinion would be. I always try to keep a good deal of distance between my car and any motorcyclists on the road with me, and usually find most riders to be equally conscientious. In this case, the SUV was surrounded by the bikers. In my opinion the motorcycle rider was reckless, pulling in front of the SUV with only inches to spare and deliberately slowing down.

I was in a car accident once in which I rear-ended another vehicle because the driver pulled in front of me and then quickly slowed down. Thank goodness a policeman actually witnessed the accident and charged the other driver and not myself.

Just saw on CNN that charges against one of the motorcyclists that turned himself in to police were dropped. He alleges he was trying to help the SUV driver.

If the demographics of the SUV driver and bikers were reversed, I am sure comments about this incident would be very different and the SUV driver would be in jail.

**face palm** You can't be serious? I had no idea what any of them looked like until today. I was outraged and disgusted by the 'bikers' behavior yesterday.

If the demographics of the SUV driver and bikers were reversed, I am sure comments about this incident would be very different and the SUV driver would be in jail.

Many of the comments were made before the identies and descriptions of those involved were released. These bikers clearly instigated a confrontation with the SUV. When they eventually surrounded him and dismounted, slashing his tires, the SUV driver attempted to escape by accelerating. There will be no charges against the SUV driver. Now, the biker that was ran over may try to sue the SUV driver, but his own caparative fault may bar any recovery. Furthermore, his participation in the group that was harassing drivers on the road directly led to this incident. If the SUV driver counterclaims, the biker will be the one paying damages. If I was a personal injury attorney in New York, I wouldnt touch that biker's case with a ten foot pole.

Many of the comments were made before the identies and descriptions of those involved were released. These bikers clearly instigated a confrontation with the SUV. When they eventually surrounded him and dismounted, slashing his tires, the SUV driver attempted to escape by accelerating. There will be no charges against the SUV driver. Now, the biker that was ran over may try to sue the SUV driver, but his own caparative fault may bar any recovery. Furthermore, his participation in the group that was harassing drivers on the road directly led to this incident. If the SUV driver counterclaims, the biker will be the one paying damages. If I was a personal injury attorney in New York, I wouldnt touch that biker's case with a ten foot pole.

I would have been terrified had I been in that SUV.

Softail you were the first person I thought of when I saw this on the news! :seeya: I was wondering what your opinion would be. I always try to keep a good deal of distance between my car and any motorcyclists on the road with me, and usually find most riders to be equally conscientious. In this case, the SUV was surrounded by the bikers. In my opinion the motorcycle rider was reckless, pulling in front of the SUV with only inches to spare and deliberately slowing down.

I was in a car accident once in which I rear-ended another vehicle because the driver pulled in front of me and then quickly slowed down. Thank goodness a policeman actually witnessed the accident and charged the other driver and not myself.

:seeya: Thanks! I think I have been pretty clear about what I think! Good for you that you are a conscientious driver, not just around bikes but in general! Wish there were more out there!

I'm glad that officer was there to see your accident! Glad you are ok! :)

As far as I can tell, the "violent motorcycle chase" didn't start until after the SUV driver drover over a couple of bikers. That is hit and run!

Biker gang! omg I hate the media, I saw the video and in my head I probably would have done the same , that SUV driver could have easily killed someone! the guy on the bike was the victim! he reacted out of anger! I have thrown my headgear more than once ! Drivers will look right in your eye, then run you over , my husband has been hit left laying in the street twice, both times it was professional women, so .......biker gang HA!

I agree with you because I have seen it firsthand!

I dont understand what was to be frightened by? sounds like it was the "type" of riders! sorry guys Im on the other side on this one because I have been the one on the bike, I have had people look at my hubby like he was a , and the biker crowd in Dallas, most of those guys are bankers, laywers, professionals on crotch rockets who are just out to have fun!

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/wife-biker-husband-is-victim-in-nyc-clash?ocid=ansnews11&stay=1

Shaky camera footage depicts the gory scene: A driver who police say was frightened when a group of motorcyclists swarmed his Range Rover plowed through them, striking a rider in a purple T-shirt and black helmet.

The biker, Edwin Mieses Jr., suffered broken legs and spine injuries, his wife, Dayana Mieses, said Tuesday outside a hospital.

"There's no hope for his back," Dayana Meises told reporters. "They crushed his spine. They broke it in two different places, so he will be forever, forever paralyzed."

Another man also was injured. Bikers chased after the SUV, then beat the driver, police said. A portion of the Sunday altercation, captured on a helmet-mounted camera worn by another rider, was posted online anonymously. Since then, Dayana Mieses said, the bikers have been portrayed as villains who ambushed an innocent man driving his family. But she said her husband is the victim.

"Everyone wants to blame the bikers for something this man did," she said.

Facebook

Screengrab from Facebook

"When all the bikers stopped, my husband got out, parked his bike to walk over to try to help his friend," she said. "He walked over towards the front of the vehicle when, at this point, I don't know what happened. The man was scared, the man just peeled off and ran over my husband."

Mieses was part of a motorcycle rally. The video shows a large group of bikers clustering around the Range Rover heading north on Manhattan's West Side Highway. One of the bikers then moves into the SUV's lane and rides briefly alongside it, peering in through the driver's side window. It's unclear from the video what the driver might have done to anger the motorcyclist.

The biker then cuts in front of the Range Rover and, still staring at the driver, suddenly slows down. It isn't captured on the video, but the motorcycle and SUV bumped, police said

also does anyone know what this Rally was for , most events are usually for charity, usually its not alot of hostile thugs out to scare people! so I wonder what the mindset of the riders happened to be?

From what I heard in the news the rally was unauthorized by the city. Personally I think the suv was trying to pass the bikes first, that might be why they slowed down in front of him. There may have been something that was not seen on camera. I really don't think the suv driver was in fear at first because he never locked his car door. He ran over a person who was trying to help the first driver he hit. I think the suv driver should have hung back away from the bikes from the start.

Yes the bikers were wrong to slow the suv, but we really don't know what happened before that.

These bikers were definitely not there for charity. They were there to wreak havoc.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/201...tation-with-manhattan-driver-caught-on-video/

Investigators believe bikers were in town for an event called Hollywood Stuntz, where riders drive around Manhattan performing tricks on their motorcycles, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said, adding that police had received intelligence on the group before Sunday’s confrontation.

“This is a major stunt event where motorcyclists from various locations come together,” Mr. Kelly said. “Their ultimate goal is to get into Times Square, which they did last year.”

Mr. Kelly said the event was not on anyone’s radar screen last year, but the NYPD was aware of it this year and was able to keep riders from reaching the center of Manhattan this year by monitoring rally points in the outer boroughs and setting up checkpoints at bridges and tunnels

About 15 motorcycles were confiscated and more than 60 summonses were issued to riders associated with the event, Mr. Kelly said

I don't think they wanted to "wreck havoc", I don't think they planned on hurting anyone. They just wanted to do their tricks. Maybe there could have been a better way to handle the situation from the start. Instead of blocking them and taking their bikes, maybe get a venue and charge money ect, revenue for the city.

The SUV guy's wife and kid weren't hurt. The SUV guy only got stiches. The guy who was run over got paralysed and is in a medical induced coma.

I've watched the whole video - all I can say is those bikers were using intimidation. They used their bikes as a way to slow down the vehicle (and what sounds like other vehicles on the road). Their behaviour is shocking. I think they've been watching too much Fast and the Furious or something!

Those bikers were intimidating the SUV driver BEFORE he ran over the biker. He was scared for his life and his family's. He did nothing wrong. This is another case of road rage, but at the extreme level. Any of the bikers that surrounded that vehicle at any time (front, rear, side) and got too close to the SUV, should be charged as well. They all contributed to this. It was like a pack mentality.

This is interesting I didn't know this. Apparently the rally they held last year had so many problems they were told they couldn't hold their rally there this year. But they did anyway.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/30/bikers-attack-suv-after-driver-rams-riders/

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said the gang of riders, known for their rallies and daredevil stunts, planned to congregate in Times Square that day. But he said the gathering was nixed by the NYPD because of past problems.

Biker gang! omg I hate the media, I saw the video and in my head I probably would have done the same , that SUV driver could have easily killed someone! the guy on the bike was the victim! he reacted out of anger! I have thrown my headgear more than once ! Drivers will look right in your eye, then run you over , my husband has been hit left laying in the street twice, both times it was professional women, so .......biker gang HA!

But we do not know what the driver did, if anything. He had his family in the car. Traffic stopped and the bikers are seen getting off their bikes blocking the SUV as traffic resumes. The bikers are walking in front of the SUV before the one biker gets hit. At this point the SUV and occupants are outnumbered by what looks like a lot of angry bikers and the driver takes off hitting one of the bikers on foot. This is not about the bike riders as much as it is about biker safety. If there was an issue they all should have moved to the far right instead of surrounding the SUV. This is what I get from the video. I would have been terrified as well.

I don't see a gang. What I see is maybe one biker getting upset with the driver and the other bikers trying to show their support and it got out of hand. I think we will be surprised when the full story comes out about what provoked this in the first place. What I would have believed I was seeing if I were in that SUV was a gang when they got off their bikes in an attempt to engage and tried to block me from moving forward in traffic. There was an encounter because you can see on the video that the camera is filming the bikes are stopped blocking traffic behind them and the SUV is surrounded. Nothing, nothing the man could have done from his car was worth that type of reaction.

I find most bikers are responsible. They pass on the left as is the law. These bikers were passing on the right making it impossible for the SUV to get over even if he wished to do so. They were all flying down the highway and it appears the bikers had a clear lane in the passing lane so why were they passing the driver on the right? Very dangerous. If you see an obstruction in the road your reaction is to swerve a little to avoid the object so even if were legal to pass on the right it's not a good idea.

Personally I have no problem with bikers as long as they obey the rules of the road. What I have a problem with in this situation is the biker who dragged the man from his car and beating him when all they had to do was pull the keys from the ignition and hold him there until LE arrived.

If it is proven the SUV driver did nothing wrong this incident will hurt bikers riding in a group everywhere because drivers will be fearful of them. jmo

In my opinion they were, Colette. Over 200 calls in one day with complaints such as driving recklessly and riding on sidewalks. Over 68 summonses issued, 15 arrests and 55 motorcycles confiscated. They were told by police not to be there yet they rallied anyway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back