NY NY - Hudson Highlands SP, Mt Taurus "Bull Hill", WhtFem 45-65, 236UFNY, clothes, accessories, Oct'07

I also wonder why a cause of death wasn't listed. If she was found at the base of a cliff and it appeared to be an accidental fall, or if the autopsy suggested she died from a medical condition, I can't see why that information would be withheld.

By the way, it looks like Nicole Cuomo did have a tan and even freckles on her arms: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=193854723&albumID=413133&imageID=2790000

There's no information on her Myspace as to how recent that photo was, but she blogged about frequent outdoor activities the summer she went missing and IMHO it's reasonable to assume she had the same tan at the time.

Being an avid hiker in upstate NY, I'm familiar with the area. Breakneck Ridge is very popular with hikers, so much so that it has its own railstop on the Metro North rail line. Its certainly not an easy hike...The first "stop" on the hike, with appreciable views, is at about 700 feet above the Hudson River. The rocky trail climbs steeply over and around boulders, continuing to the summit at about 1,300 feet. The entire trail is about 5 miles long, but the climb to the summit is only about 3/4 mile (its that steep). And yes, there are plenty of opportunities to fall great distances at several points along the trail.
Breakneck Ridge is located near Mount Taurus (also known as Bull Hill). According to local legend, the Taurus got its name from a bull that was chased by farmers until it fell to its death from Breakneck (giving both mountains their names.)
Rt 9D passes right by the base of Breakneck Ridge, and in fact passes through a short tunnel which bisects the Putnam/Dutchess county line.
Rt 9D can be followed south to Rt 9, which parallels the Hudson River all the way south into Manhattan. Followed north, Rt 9D intersects I-84, which travels east-west (west through Newburgh NY and into PA, east into CT).

Weather reports indicate the temperature on the 12th (a Friday) topped out at 60 degrees, with just over a half-inch of rain recorded for the 24-hour period. The weather on Saturday remained around 60 with only a trace of rain recorded for the day.

My first thought on that date was that it would have been Columbus Day weekend, but that actually occured the previous weekend (being celebrated on Monday the 8th).

The victim seems to have been appropriately dressed for a visit/dayhike to the area, though the choice of an umbrella over a rainsuit might indicate a lack of familiarity with the trails (if she indeed were there hiking). Holding an umbrella on those rocks, especially when rain-slickened, would be courting disaster. She had in her possession a small flashlight, a small compass...Not the equipment an experienced hiker would typically carry, but possibly someone accustomed to infrequent hikes or strolls.
The victim was also carrying several hygiene items, items that one wouldnt typically bring along for just a short outing. Makes me think she was carrying with her whatever she had brought from home...And that she may have been staying at a local hotel or B&B. The possibility occurs to me that she may have had her ID, credit cards, phone, and money (bills) in a wallet that might have been inadvertently left on the train, bus, taxi, or whatever conveyance she took to the trail. (I've seen it happen on occasion, hikers will remove a wallet or small case from their packs to make a cell call, stick the phone in a pocket and walk off without the wallet).

This makes three UIDs found in parks in NY in recent years. The remains of a male were found in Bear Mountain State Park in 1991; and remains of another male were found in Sterling Forest State Park in 2005. (All of which I've hiked...Ive learned to keep my eyes open).

Being an avid hiker in upstate NY, I'm familiar with the area. Breakneck Ridge is very popular with hikers, so much so that it has its own railstop on the Metro North rail line. Its certainly not an easy hike...The first "stop" on the hike, with appreciable views, is at about 700 feet above the Hudson River. The rocky trail climbs steeply over and around boulders, continuing to the summit at about 1,300 feet. The entire trail is about 5 miles long, but the climb to the summit is only about 3/4 mile (its that steep). And yes, there are plenty of opportunities to fall great distances at several points along the trail.
Breakneck Ridge is located near Mount Taurus (also known as Bull Hill). According to local legend, the Taurus got its name from a bull that was chased by farmers until it fell to its death from Breakneck (giving both mountains their names.)
Rt 9D passes right by the base of Breakneck Ridge, and in fact passes through a short tunnel which bisects the Putnam/Dutchess county line.
Rt 9D can be followed south to Rt 9, which parallels the Hudson River all the way south into Manhattan. Followed north, Rt 9D intersects I-84, which travels east-west (west through Newburgh NY and into PA, east into CT).

Weather reports indicate the temperature on the 12th (a Friday) topped out at 60 degrees, with just over a half-inch of rain recorded for the 24-hour period. The weather on Saturday remained around 60 with only a trace of rain recorded for the day.

My first thought on that date was that it would have been Columbus Day weekend, but that actually occured the previous weekend (being celebrated on Monday the 8th).

The victim seems to have been appropriately dressed for a visit/dayhike to the area, though the choice of an umbrella over a rainsuit might indicate a lack of familiarity with the trails (if she indeed were there hiking). Holding an umbrella on those rocks, especially when rain-slickened, would be courting disaster. She had in her possession a small flashlight, a small compass...Not the equipment an experienced hiker would typically carry, but possibly someone accustomed to infrequent hikes or strolls.
The victim was also carrying several hygiene items, items that one wouldnt typically bring along for just a short outing. Makes me think she was carrying with her whatever she had brought from home...And that she may have been staying at a local hotel or B&B. The possibility occurs to me that she may have had her ID, credit cards, phone, and money (bills) in a wallet that might have been inadvertently left on the train, bus, taxi, or whatever conveyance she took to the trail. (I've seen it happen on occasion, hikers will remove a wallet or small case from their packs to make a cell call, stick the phone in a pocket and walk off without the wallet).

This makes three UIDs found in parks in NY in recent years. The remains of a male were found in Bear Mountain State Park in 1991; and remains of another male were found in Sterling Forest State Park in 2005. (All of which I've hiked...Ive learned to keep my eyes open).

Based on this info, do you feel she would have been from somewhere nearby just out for a day hike? That's the way I'm leaning, but it would seem she would have been ID'd fairly soon if that were the case.

Based on this info, do you feel she would have been from somewhere nearby just out for a day hike? That's the way I'm leaning, but it would seem she would have been ID'd fairly soon if that were the case.

Actually, I can argue this one both ways with myself (when I talk to myself, I think its rude not to respond).
I tend to believe that hiking, or at the least taking in the scenery, was her purpose in being there. The fact that the train from NYC stops right there means she could, in fact, be from pretty much anywhere. I'm guessing its maybe a 45 minute ride or so from the city.
As we've seen in far too many cases, its fairly easy for an adult to 'slip through the cracks' when police departments will only take reports in exceptional cases--during the commission of a crime or where mental health concerns are an issue.

I cant find much of anything on this case. I'd think if there were obvious signs of foul play, LE would have stated as such. Possibly natural causes, like a heart attack...? Maybe nothing is stated about cause of death because blood tests and such were pending.

I asked the investigator for a list of "rule outs" and was told "our case files are confidential, Law Enforcement files. We will be happy to make comparisons or send leads to LE agencies, but we can't share our case files."

"our case files are confidential, Law Enforcement files. We will be happy to make comparisons or send leads to LE agencies, but we can't share our case files."

lol, ain't they special ;)

Actually, I can argue this one both ways with myself (when I talk to myself, I think its rude not to respond).
I tend to believe that hiking, or at the least taking in the scenery, was her purpose in being there. The fact that the train from NYC stops right there means she could, in fact, be from pretty much anywhere. I'm guessing its maybe a 45 minute ride or so from the city.
As we've seen in far too many cases, its fairly easy for an adult to 'slip through the cracks' when police departments will only take reports in exceptional cases--during the commission of a crime or where mental health concerns are an issue.

I cant find much of anything on this case. I'd think if there were obvious signs of foul play, LE would have stated as such. Possibly natural causes, like a heart attack...? Maybe nothing is stated about cause of death because blood tests and such were pending.

LOL!!!! You are absolutely right about people falling through the cracks. Still, I feel that she must have been from somewhere not too far away and I just can't believe NO one has been looking for her all this time. Then again, if no one in her life knew where she was going that day, I suppose they really wouldn't know where to begin looking. Poor thing. Someone, somewhere is missing her - I'm just sure of it. We can figure this out!

something is amiss here. a smartly dressed woman, prepared for the elements, is killed in the park and no one reports her missing? I say killed since LE is involved and is tight lipped.

I see a possibility in Liza Murphy missing from NJ on August 19, 2007. she had psychiatric issues and supposedly walked out of her home:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murphy_liza.html

Liza is said to have had tattoos which are not mentioned in the Doe profile for the UID. Liza was a smoker and the UID was found with a lighter.

May have located a possible match to this Jane Doe. I always find it suspect when a person is located without any ID or otherwise, unclaimed. Working a case in Mississippi where I believe another Australian woman was recovered back in 1985, by the name of Kay Docherty, no confirmation yet though. But as the story goes, Kay and a friend of hers by the name of Toni Cavanagh went missing in 1979, at the same time. In my search for Toni, I saw another familiar face, that of Ms Deason, compared her to the Hudson Highland Jane Doe, per the pic below. I did notify Australian and New York authorities, and hopefully if our Jane Doe is Ms. Deason, we can get her back home soon..

Deason Joanne Gaye.jpg Ms. Joanne Gaye Deason

Hudson H. Jane Doe.jpg Hudson Highlands Jane Doe

Joanne Gaye Deason Stats:

Personal Details
Missing since:
Friday, 22 August 2003
Gembrook VIC
Jurisdiction:
Victoria
Year of birth:
Height:
160 cm
Build:
Medium
Eyes:
Hazel
Hair:
Auburn/Light Brown
Complexion:
Fair
Circumstances
On 22/08/2003 the Missing Person left a note for her boyfriend stating she was going to school and would be home in the evening. Missing person did not return home. Enquiries made show that Missing Person did not turn up at school. Missing person was taking medication for depression. She has also attempted suicide in the past by using a hose from the exhaust of her car.

Great find, TheTeacher. The resemblance is striking. She is younger than the estimated age frame, but the UID doesn't look 50-60 IMO.

The resemblance is striking. Here's a question to ponder. How could Joanne Deason fly out of Australia in the post 9/11 world without her name having appeared on an airline manifest?

It is not impossible to fly under a fake name, but it is not easy for the amateur to accomplish.

Question is, did anyone check with Passport officials? If she was deemed a homeless person, it was probably assumed she was from here, even if she had no ID. I think we have some more Australian women here in American from the late 70's and 80's, probably deceased. Perhaps she could have gotten married (temporarily) and therefore, officials would not have picked up the correct surname. Of course she could have came over on a merchant ship, or flew into Canada and crossed the border.

Of course she could have came over on a merchant ship, or flew into Canada and crossed the border.

Or Mexico, for that matter. (Anyone who doubts this: go use Google Maps' street view to see how easy it is to walk between Canada and the US without going through border control. I imagine Mexico would be only slightly more difficult.)

Definitely seeing that match in the ears. Really good lead here. Great work.

There's always the possibility of flying on a stolen passport. The fact that there's no record of someone leaving a country doesn't mean all that much. The Australian authorities might want to check stolen passport reports to see if there's any stolen passports that were reported missing and used after the date of the theft. Even then, there's the possibility that a stolen passport goes unreported because it's close to expiry, or that the passport holder doesn't even notice that it's gone missing (or if they do, they don't consider the possibility of theft).

It seems like Joanne either committed suicide or was the victim of a crime in or around her hometown of Gembrook.

"Joanne Gaye Deason, born 19 June 1972, left the home she was sharing with her boyfriend in Gembrook on 22 August 2003. Saying she was going to school, Joanne never arrived.

Later that day she was seen at the Knox City Medicare Office. Her vehicle was found on 12 September 2003 in the Gembrook area. She has not been seen or heard from since."

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=7661

If this does prove to be Ms Deason, I would think the Australian Federal Police may have to take another look at other missing person cases in Australia, where no body has been found. There are other cases, where people have come up missing, which may suggest the existence of some nefarious enterprise, working under the radar of the Australian Police. My suspicions come on the wake of the Kay Docherty and Toni Cavanagh case, where two women came up missing at the same time, wrote letters to parents telling them not to worry they are with friends; then phone calls come in saying they have been spotted still in Australia, but now, I question if the calls were genuine or not. Anything can be staged, but just saying if this is indeed Ms Deason, there are going to be a lot more questions, and the same applies if our 1985 Olive Branch, Mississippi Jane Doe turns out to be Kay Docherty. Maybe Ms Deason just wanted to start a fresh new life, got fed up and left without telling a soul, or maybe she had help, who knows? Perhaps America would be the key, and it would stand to reason that Ms Deason would have sought out friends, support groups, etc. I think somebody over here, knew her, and more than likely, knew of her death, but to report it might lead to police questioning of how she got over here. And should that be the case, it is understandable the quiet is deafening...

I did a facial recon for our Hudson Highlands Jane Doe:

782f01bd-63ba-4b99-a2bd-cd5e212e8ab7.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname