NY - Mari Gilbert, mother of Shannan Gilbert, murdered by daughter Sarra, 23 July 2016

Sloane7777, sounds like you pretty much have a handle on your illness! That alone is a blessing, I know. And I don't know if ever the docs and counselors know how to explain or help when that panic attack hits and tries to take total control over you.
The only thing I would say is count your blessings and pray the Lord will give you complete healing. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure it takes courage to admit the problem is there. And everybody needs to know people DO NOT bring this on themselves!

The boyfriend is an ex, not a current boyfriend of Sarra's. He had a restraining order against her for both himself and their son, stemming from the death of the puppy. The ex-boyfriend did not have any communication or contact with Sarra, and he & his family have full custody of the son. Sarra is a diagnosed schizophrenic. Her mental illness started in 2014, not long after the discovery of her sister Shannan's remains. Sarra had been hospitalized a few times before and was on medication. However, she did stop taking that medication. Mari had been checking on her daily to keep an eye on her. Sarra attacked her mother supposedly because the voices told her that her mother was a "bad god." Sarra was out on bail on the animal cruelty case and apparently no one in the court system ordered a psych evaluation for her at the time. I do not know if the courts knew about her schizophrenia on that case. However, the courts have now ordered a psych evaluation in the murder case and she is on medication now that she's under the care of the county jail. This case is tragic on so many levels. I wasn't a close friend of Mari's, but I did know her and I know her daughter Sherre. Mari was such an amazing woman. She fought so hard to try & get justice for Shannan. On top of that she worked full time as a manager at a large local retail store and she was always there for her girls, all of them. She was even there to lend an ear to any friends of her girls, any co-workers or friends and even neighbors and strangers. She was just like that. I grew up in Ellenville and got to know Mari after reading about Shannan's case in 2010. She was a lovely woman. Anyone who knew her will tell you how loved she was. That's what makes this whole thing so tragic. She was such a determined, hard working lady. She raised 4 girls on her own. She struggled her whole life but she made her girls number one in her life even through tough financial times, times of abuse in their lives, and times apart (there were times of foster care when the girls were growing up. I do not know the details and don't think that should be shared anyway). I pray that Sarra gets the help she so desperately needs. I do think a mental hospital would be better suited to care for Sarra. She'd fall through the cracks in prison. Mari and the whole family were trying so hard to get Sarra the help she needed, but their hands were tied in so many ways as she's over the age of 18. The courts should have intervened when Sarra drowned the puppy in front of her son. They should have intervened when she broke the restraining order and contacted her son's father (not sure why she was calling him, but she was charged with contempt of court for it.) No matter what, this is such a tragic story. I continue to give my thoughts, prayers and love to Mari's other 2 daughters who are mourning their mother while trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that their sister is the cause of her death. I pray that Sarra gets the help she needs.

Cog,thank you for posting this. It's just so tragic. My thoughts are with you.

I was understanding the articles I have read that Sarra had a current boyfriend, and was thinking her son's dad was a different person entirely. Nevertheless, he obviously didn't talk to the judge before Sarra went to court concerning the dog, and give him the info he HAD to have known about Sarra's mental illness and suggest he look into things concerning Sarra. I'm certainly not blaming him for any wrongdoing, but he was in the best situation to say something, especially since he was in the position he knew he had to protect his son.
Like I said in earlier posts, it's very hard trying to make the best decision to benefit everyone involved, especially when you care about a person with mental illness. Makes you feel like you're running in circles.

June 22, 1964 - July 23, 2016
Ellenville, NY

Mari Gilbert, of Ellenville, passed away on Saturday, July 23, 2016. She was 52.

She was the daughter of John W. Cox Sr. and Junerose C. Gran, born on June 22, 1964 in Jersey City, NJ.

Mari worked as a department manager at her local WalMart. She enjoyed keeping her hands active by being creative through quilting, sewing and crocheting. She also enjoyed being outside in nature gardening. Everyone who knew Mari, knew that she especially loved being a grandmother to her four grandsons. She was a loving mother, grandmother, sister and friend to all lives she touched.

She leaves behind to cherish her memory her fiance, Elroy J. Shulterbrandt; her children: Sherre Gilbert and Stevie Smith; her four grandsons; her sister, Lori Grove and her nephew. She was predeceased by her daughter, Shannan; her siblings; and her father, John Sr.

Visitation was held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 28 at Loucks Funeral Home, 79 N. Main Street, Ellenville, NY 12428. A funeral service took place at 6:30 p.m. at the funeral home.

June 22, 1964 - July 23, 2016

Ellenville, NY

Mari Gilbert, of Ellenville, passed away on Saturday, July 23, 2016. She was 52.

She was the daughter of John W. Cox Sr. and Junerose C. Gran, born on June 22, 1964 in Jersey City, NJ.

Mari worked as a department manager at her local WalMart. She enjoyed keeping her hands active by being creative through quilting, sewing and crocheting. She also enjoyed being outside in nature gardening. Everyone who knew Mari, knew that she especially loved being a grandmother to her four grandsons. She was a loving mother, grandmother, sister and friend to all lives she touched.

She leaves behind to cherish her memory her fiance, Elroy J. Shulterbrandt; her children: Sherre Gilbert and Stevie Smith; her four grandsons; her sister, Lori Grove and her nephew. She was predeceased by her daughter, Shannan; her siblings; and her father, John Sr.

Visitation was held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 28 at Loucks Funeral Home, 79 N. Main Street, Ellenville, NY 12428. A funeral service took place at 6:30 p.m. at the funeral home.

Do you guys think Mari has answers about her daughters death now? I would like to think so. So tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mental illness is so perplexing, and even docs and nurses have a hard time understanding problems a pt may be experiencing
I came across an interesting article on the Yahoo home page I thought some might enjoy reading.
I don't know how to "link" an article, but the headline for the article is: "Scientists Came to a Fascinating Conclusion After Looking at the DNA of Thousands of People with Depression". It is well written, and easy to understand.

John Ray pleads Not Guilty for Sarra today in court.

http://www.newsday.com/news/region-...ilty-in-mom-mari-gilbert-s-killing-1.12167630

Ray, who has said Shannan Gilbert’s death affected her sister’s mental health, added a new twist Friday, saying Mari Gilbert’s longtime practice of witchcraft also affected Sarra and he plans to use that as part of her defense.

“Mari was a lifetime practitioner of witchcraft and apparently of black magic,” Ray said. “And her children were adversely affected by it, there is no question about it whatsoever. Sarra suffered from terrible delusions about witches, about demons, about voices and such. How can one not connect that to what her mother was doing?”

Is that possibly true, or is lawyer Ray trying for a little sensationalism to aid Sarra's defense in some way when this finally gies to court? I hope if Sarra is convicted that her son's dad files for permanent custody. If she is convicted, there will most likely be a very long sentence, but the dad should take precautionary measures to make sure the little guy remains safe.

There are at least 3 times where Mari's recounting of conversations can be questioned.

1) The entire "home for wayward girls" saga.
2) The discussion of the tox screens by the Suffolk ME
3) This truck issue we are discussing.

I think we have to tread carefully when dealing with "facts" emanating from her. Especially now that we have a really good look at what kind of person/lawyer Ray actually is. I think the poor woman was in shock and grieving and a lot of her public comments were shaped by Ray as well as her hatred of the police.

This woman just died violently and horribly. Why is she suddenly now being painted as unreliable? That's never been said before. No one has disproven the "home for wayward girls" or anything else Mari has said. CPH, whatever he is about, is the one that is a proven liar.

And I think anyone in Mari's position would be upset with the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This woman just died violently and horribly. Why is she suddenly now being painted as unreliable? That's never been said before. No one has disproven the "home for wayward girls" or anything else Mari has said. CPH, whatever he is about, is the one that is a proven liar.

And I think anyone in Mari's position would be upset with the police.

Her death was tragic. The entire case is terribly sad. That does not turn MG into a reliable witness when recounting things she saw and heard, particularly for matters like the Suffolk County tox screens or phone calls. As far as never being said, I said it in Baltimore in April and I'm saying it again here. And being an unreliable witness is not being a liar. In her grief and anger I think she got a lot of the things she heard from the police or from others confused.

Personally I think the entire lawsuit against PH was Ray's brainchild and was appalling.

And her attitude towards the police was not helpful to anyone, including herself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back