NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip> Either Rob made 200k a year, they lived off Ida's "hard earned money" orrrrrrrrr......they were under severe financial stress.

I have tried, previously, to bring up this point. My posts were deleted.
For one, long island is a very expensive place to live. Dix hills is a prominent neighborhood. We pay high taxes. Our real estate is expensive. Maintenance on pools and homes is expensive. Our kids are in sports, music and other extra curriculars. Not to mention necessities, utilities and luxuries (vacations etc).
Even with a decent union salary...it would be tough to keep up with the jones's.
not bashing...just my thoughts.

I wonder when the birthdays of his children are...seems a father would be hard-pressed to pass on acknowledging a birthday, even if a card is mailed in a random, untraceable fashion. JMO

But even without evidence of a crime, reasons listed above ^^^^; the fact that he apparently had no cash, credit cards or bank cards or at least presumably is not using them, is one thing that can point to a possible crime having been committed.

So true Clu. I wonder why LE has not stated he is missing under suspicious circumstances. All the missing person cases I have followed, when family say, she/he would always call us 3x a week, or she always had a active bank account, or never missed a day from work, all personnel belongings were left including wallet, and car was found where he would never ever park there, etc I wonder why they, LE, haven't claimed, now, after missing for over two months, he is missing under suspicious circumstances. I would have hired a lawyer and hired a PI, for sure.

OT (my daughters upcoming wedding is taking up all my time). :seeya:

BBM
That is an excellent point - one that never crossed my mind. :blushing:
I betcha you hit the nail on the head.

---
A question for my fellow Sleuthers...

After doing some further reading today, I am curious about ONE THING more than anything else: Why do you think (IYO...in your opinion lol) that RM's disappearance was labeled as 'not criminal' AND "police...don't believe a crime has been committed" and other such labels? What is it about this scenario, this situation..that made them deviate from the standard "Have you seen X? Police are treating X's disappearance as suspicious and the investigation is ongoing."

Therein lies the answer. I just wish we knew what it was.

Citation for above quote: <Police are investigating the disappearance, but they say they don't believe a crime has been committed> http://longisland.news12.com/news/family-pleads-for-info-on-missing-man-robert-mayer-of-dix-hills-1.5499513>

I think it means that they think he either took off, or - something we haven't discussed too much here - went off and committed suicide somewhere. I mean, think about it. He could have left his car at the station, taken the train, and jumped off a bridge in NYC or anywhere else.

<modsnip>Either Rob made 200k a year, they lived off Ida's "hard earned money" orrrrrrrrr......they were under severe financial stress.

<modsnip> But no, I have no knowledge of the families income to a monetary figure. But to more of your point, neither does anyone. My point was, this is a well-to-do family and have the finances to go on trips. No one knows where their money comes from aside from RM's income nor is it anyone's business. But they make due and I'm certain it is not of just RM's income. She has her own income, from prior investments or whatever. Because she hasn't disclosed what that is, we can't assume conclusively, what that is or that she has no income.

It's not about being 'holier than thou' but more about sticking to the facts instead of following and perpetuating gossip. JMO.

Feel free to discuss potential evidence from the FB site but please leave the drama there.

So I'm checking the FB site and apparently there is other evidence that LE found and IM mentions that it has been taking LE a while to call her back as well as the car being processed. So it makes me wonder even more what is actually going on and does LE still think there s been no crime committed here. :banghead:

So I'm checking the FB site and apparently there is other evidence that LE found and IM mentions that it has been taking LE a while to call her back as well as the car being processed. So it makes me wonder even more what is actually going on and does LE still think there s been no crime committed here. :banghead:

Are we looking at same group? I see nothing posted about new evidence or talking about LE recently...clarify. please?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 4

Not to be nosy, but can you give us some ballpark figures of what RM was making?

I am going to estimate a minimum of $116,000/year. In a recent electrician's forum, men were discussing base salaries for Local 3 electricians around the country. The amount quoted for NYC was $51/hour. Foremen get at least an extra 10%, so I settled on $56/hour.

$56 x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $116,480 (regular salary...no O.T. or benefits)

Quote can be found in post 1/29/13:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f26/what-your-ibew-local-journeyman-wage-49525/

Are we looking at same group? I see nothing posted about new evidence or talking about LE recently...clarify. please?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 4

It was posted when he went missing at the 6 week mark

I am going to estimate a minimum of $116,000/year. In a recent electrician's forum, men were discussing base salaries for Local 3 electricians around the country. The amount quoted for NYC was $51/hour. Foremen get at least an extra 10%, so I settled on $56/hour.

$56 x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $116,480 (regular salary...no O.T. or benefits)

Quote can be found in post 1/29/13:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f26/what-your-ibew-local-journeyman-wage-49525/

Taxes alone in Dix Hills homes are about $20,000 alone. Not to mention mortgage, insurance, LIPA etc.

BBM
That is an excellent point - one that never crossed my mind. :blushing:
I betcha you hit the nail on the head.

---
A question for my fellow Sleuthers...

After doing some further reading today, I am curious about ONE THING more than anything else: Why do you think (IYO...in your opinion lol) that RM's disappearance was labeled as 'not criminal' AND "police...don't believe a crime has been committed" and other such labels? What is it about this scenario, this situation..that made them deviate from the standard "Have you seen X? Police are treating X's disappearance as suspicious and the investigation is ongoing."

Therein lies the answer. I just wish we knew what it was.

Citation for above quote: <Police are investigating the disappearance, but they say they don't believe a crime has been committed> http://longisland.news12.com/news/family-pleads-for-info-on-missing-man-robert-mayer-of-dix-hills-1.5499513>

I don't think the police found any evidence of a crime/foul play. I don't think IM told them any factors that would suggest that RM is vulnerable/endangered/at risk for credible harm (other than RM having no history of being unreliable, which IS actually considered in missing persons' cases). LE opened the case, and (by reports in the media) interviewed some of the people who RM came in contact with that last day. They considered the possibility of seeing RM on camera (the scrap yard, the candy store near the train station, the neighbor's security camera). They checked his cellphone records. They asked IM to check bank and credit card records. They searched *at least* two areas with dogs (the train station, and the grounds of Pilgrim Psychiatric). IM stated in a Facebook "file", that they also searched by helicopter, and that local hospitals were contacted. They processed RM's car for possible evidence. As per NY state law, for adults in the "21-65" group who have no other special circumstances, LE is somewhat limited in their investigations. For people missing > 30 days, LE can add DNA and dental records to the person's NCIC file. Aside from periodically rechecking some of the above, I think that's as far as LE will go.

A young woman was found murdered this past Friday night in Rockville Center, Long Island. The story made the front page of Newsday yesterday, a man is in custody this morning. Quick police work, because there was a crime scene, and a victim.

Taxes alone in Dix Hills homes are about $20,000 alone. Not to mention mortgage, insurance, LIPA etc.

that is not enough income to live at that level in Dix Hills let alone Long Island. Maybe if you never go on trips or entertain or renovate your house.
We had a friend that was a Local 3 electrician. He never worked 52 weeks a year. He had to take furloughs sometimes as much as 6 weeks at a time, which if this still happens, would reduce RMs income significantly. I guess you could add in overtime and the income from scrap, but IMO you need closer to $200k to live like that.

that is not enough income to live at that level in Dix Hills let alone Long Island. Maybe if you never go on trips or entertain or renovate your house.
We had a friend that was a Local 3 electrician. He never worked 52 weeks a year. He had to take furloughs sometimes as much as 6 weeks at a time, which if this still happens, would reduce RMs income significantly. I guess you could add in overtime and the income from scrap, but IMO you need closer to $200k to live like that.

Absolutely correct.

Oh, absolutely. If we factor in income tax, property tax, a possible mortgage, TWO kids, etc., RM isn't "rich". I think his salary plus income that IM contributes, makes them "comfortable" at best.

Someone asked for a ballpark idea of RM's salary. That was the best estimate that I could make. I think we all agree that living in NY is very expensive, and that RM/IM are not "rich".

:banghead:

I think it means that they think he either took off, or - something we haven't discussed too much here - went off and committed suicide somewhere. I mean, think about it. He could have left his car at the station, taken the train, and jumped off a bridge in NYC or anywhere else.

Wow! Last night, this very same scenario occurred to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann