GUILTY NY - Twins Ises & Moorfiyah Mathurin, 3 mos, smothered, 20 Oct 2005

They pulled all of the soy and cornmeal from the shelves at that particular market. Just to be safe.......

If it was an allergy to soy, the twins would have physical signs that would show up in a physical autopsy.

The cornmeal is very, very diluted. I am assuming cornmeal is like a porriage or Cream of Wheat type of food. Apparently if mixed with soy, it is very diluted so it can pass though the bottle. Apparently this is quite common in the West Indies and has been for generations.

Environmental tests were done on the home. No Carbon Monixide was detected.

Another factor that I just thought of, it could be mold that they were exposed to from birth. Mold would affect the central nervous system, and lead to problems in breathing.

So I guess we will wait and see.........I still think it is either food poisioning or the sodium from soy.

Aussiegran: I had no idea either that regular soy should not be used for children. So don't "fret" that you did not know. I guess the best thing to do is inform your daughter(if the kids are still infants) and other people you know that use soy for their infants, that they should ENSURE that they only use infant soy, instead of regular soy.

In 2003, a soy based infant formula that had 10 times less B1, was linked to the deaths of three infants and illness amongst several other babies. B1 is vital to brain development........

Severe deficiency of B-1, also known as thiamine, had caused the soy-fed babies to develop a form of beriberi disease, or a separate condition known as the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, with potentially life-threatening damage to their nervous, gastrointestinal and cardiovascular systems.

This was in New York.

The cornmeal and soy is used just like some others use watered down baby cereal. I never fed my kids any solids until 6 months (but I know a lot of peds say 4 months) - but I've known plenty of moms who put infant cereal in formula/baby bottles starting at just a few weeks old. Some believe it helps 'fill' their tummies and sleep better (though that's not a true fact).

Marie said:
The cornmeal and soy is used just like some others use watered down baby cereal. I never fed my kids any solids until 6 months (but I know a lot of peds say 4 months) - but I've known plenty of moms who put infant cereal in formula/baby bottles starting at just a few weeks old. Some believe it helps 'fill' their tummies and sleep better (though that's not a true fact).

I did it to mine, and he slept thru the night at 5 weeks. I think it worked like a charm!

Yeah I know a lot of parents claim it works. Science studies say it doesn't. So who knows? I just wanted to make it clear that it's a common practice.

I followed my Ped advice and waited until six months. I was first time Mom and did exactly what she told me to do.

At the evening bottle I mixed cereal in with formula. He did sleep much, much longer.

I think the problem being is that if a parent fed their child pork chops a 3 months old, that would be a very serious problem.

CyberLaw said:
I followed my Ped advice and waited until six months. I was first time Mom and did exactly what she told me to do.

At the evening bottle I mixed cereal in with formula. He did sleep much, much longer.

I think the problem being is that if a parent fed their child pork chops a 3 months old, that would be a very serious problem.
Ya think!?!?! LOL :laugh:

Bump.

Was the cause of death ever determined?

Pook said:
I did it to mine, and he slept thru the night at 5 weeks. I think it worked like a charm!
By 10 days old all three of my girls slept through the night. They all had rice cereal in the night-time bottle. None of them ever had digestion problems or weight problems. Even as newborns they slept 6 hours at a time. The nurse in the hospital told me, don't wake a sleeping baby, they'll let you know when they need something.

I can't find any news on this after 10/23

:banghead:

Can't it often take several months for tissues to be analysed?

I hate it when the news drops a story . This story is particularly sad and it's ending may very well keep others from losing their children in similar ways. It reminds me of when corn syrup was found to cause botulism , babies were dying and until it was "definite" the news wasn't printed. In fact it was never broadcast enough!

Yeah I read an update on this case today. Th two infants did not die of natural causes.

Their mother is charged............

I fee badly or the whole family, especially the dead infans and the whole community.

They were suffocated, it may ave been out of frustration or dispair....who knows....but it had nothing to do with formula etc.

:furious: I hadn't heard anything about this in awhile...this lady shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

I was really hoping it wasn't the mother. It just seemed beyond coincidence BOTH would be found dead from a mystery illness or SIDS.

Suicide watch for mom accused of killing twins

The Brooklyn mother charged with murdering her twin infant boys by suffocating them is on suicide watch at Rikers Island, her lawyer said Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the family of the suspect, Ingrid Rosier, 21, is standing by the young mom, convinced she did nothing wrong, according to one relative.

"She's innocent and I just hope everything goes well," said her sister-in-law Christy Mathurin, 22. "The whole family, this is opening our wounds up all over again."

The Flatbush family's pain started Oct. 20 when Rosier called 911 in a panic saying she found her sons Ises and Moorfiyah Mathurin unconscious in their cribs.

More: http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/nyc-twin1222,0,4370359.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-manhattan

From 07/17/2007:

In opening arguments yesterday, prosecutor Roger McCreedy accused Mathurin, then 21, of trying to stifle their screams by rubbing their backs hard and pressing their tiny heads into a crib mattress, suffocating them.

Mathurin, who also had a 2-year-old, allegedly told cops she was stressed, tired and depressed when the infants, born July 27, 2005, cried persistently.

Her lawyer Michael Millet said she never intentionally hurt her babies.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/crime/bravest-fought-save-2-babies-article-1.266131

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back