OH OH - ANTHONY SOWELL, 11 bodies unearthed at his Cleveland home, 2007-09 *dies in prison 2021*

jury still deliberating, not now they aren't, just read a tweet saying they have reached a decision

This might sound strange but when I listened to the psychologist talking about Sowell and from other things I have read about Sowell it seemed like he does better in prison because he needs a "regimented" environment. Like he had in the Marines. They said he was a model prisoner and the only time he created a problem was when things belonging to him went missing then they had to do a lock down because he "totally lost it". (having to do with counting things and extreme OCD).

That makes me think a life sentence for him would be something of a relief for him. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. On the outside his life isn't regimented and he can't cope or control his urges. I'm sure drugs, alcohol, and his metal problems didn't help either.

(Bolded by me.) I have been following along and am axiously awaiting his verdict. I did not watch any of the trial, but the bolded parts above have me wondering. Is he autistic? Autistism causes such reactions that you are describing. However, abusive childhoods can also cause these character traits. Not giving him any sympathy, but just wondering...

Wow! DP on 11 verdicts. Sentencing by Judge on Friday morning at 9:00 a.m.

what I expected, so for the families of the victims it is not over, he will have the right to be provided with an attorney at the publics expense to appeal,

the families wanted LWOP with the proviso he gave up his right to appeal, so that they could begin the process of healing and recovering from the horrors of the trial and murders,

what I expected, so for the families of the victims it is not over, he will have the right to be provided with an attorney at the publics expense to appeal,

the families wanted LWOP with the proviso he gave up his right to appeal, so that they could begin the process of healing and recovering from the horrors of the trial and murders,

I wonder why the jury didn't go for LWOP. Now the appeals, possibility of another trial, more hearings, etc begins.

Glad it is over for now, hopefully, no appeals will be granted and the families can move forward. He doesn't get any more time from me. Thanks for the company, all.

I wonder why the jury didn't go for LWOP. Now the appeals, possibility of another trial, more hearings, etc begins.

the juries job is to weigh mitigation or aggravation in relation to the crimes, there job is not to consider anything but that,

they can't consider what his legal rights will be if they convict him of LWOP or DP

it would have taken a very determined juror or jurors to have not given him the DP considering the crimes, unless they were a person who was vehemently opposed to the DP, and voir dire in jury process should have wheedled out very pro or anti DP jurors, they aim to pick a jury who can consider giving the DP if they consider the crimes warrant it,

the juries job is to weigh mitigation or aggravation in relation to the crimes, there job is not to consider anything but that, they can't consider what his legal rights will be if they convict him of LWOP or DP

I never really thought about it, but that sure makes sense. The jury can't sentence someone to LWOP instead of the DP just so they can save the taxpayers money! lol.

I thought there had to be a good reason for an appeal- some misconduct or new evidence. But it seems the process has regressed to where the defendant and his lawyers are just wanting a 'do over'. The Jeffrey MacDonald case comes to mind, though I don't think he got the DP and taxpayers aren't paying for his ongoing defense over the last 30 years.

One crime book I have briefly goes over crimes of the last century. If the defendant got the DP, sure enough within a year it was carried out. In clear cut cases like Sowell's there's really no reason not to carry out the juror's verdict quickly, imo. The defendant has the right to a speedy trial and I think the victim's family should have the right to a speedy end.

I just find the entire process too drawn out, too expensive, too painful for the victim's families, and just plain ridiculous.

Judge upholds jurys decision to give him DP

That really surprises me since the victims families (the majority of them anyway) requested life without possibility of parole. I am so glad I'm not a judge. What a tough job to have to make the final decision of life or death.

Joe thanks so much for answering all my questions. I learn everytime I post a question for you. I'll still be asking them as The Baseline Trial moves forward....if we ever get any information on it. I just can't believe it isn't live!

My prayers go out to the Victims' family which includes Sowells' family. They are hurting too and they did nothing wrong!

That really surprises me since the victims families (the majority of them anyway) requested life without possibility of parole. I am so glad I'm not a judge. What a tough job to have to make the final decision of life or death.

Joe thanks so much for answering all my questions. I learn everytime I post a question for you. I'll still be asking them as The Baseline Trial moves forward....if we ever get any information on it. I just can't believe it isn't live!

My prayers go out to the Victims' family which includes Sowells' family. They are hurting too and they did nothing wrong!

I think it would have taken an incredibly brave judge to have gone against the juries verdict,

the families didn't want the death penalty per se, they didn't want a trial and a drawn out appelate process, so they requested that he be allowed to plead guilty and get LWOP with no appeals,

today many who gave there victim impact statements requested the DP

I think it would have taken an incredibly brave judge to have gone against the juries verdict,

the families didn't want the death penalty per se, they didn't want a trial and a drawn out appelate process, so they requested that he be allowed to plead guilty and get LWOP with no appeals,

today many who gave there victim impact statements requested the DP

You're right (as usual). I remember you telling me that the families requested taking a plea, no trial, and LWOP and no appeals.

The trial was so hard on all of them and the details will remain with them forever. I can see why they changed to DP.

Thanks for once again clarifying things to me. Do you ever get tired of setting me straight? :banghead:

You're right (as usual). I remember you telling me that the families requested taking a plea, no trial, and LWOP and no appeals.

The trial was so hard on all of them and the details will remain with them forever. I can see why they changed to DP.

Thanks for once again clarifying things to me. Do you ever get tired of setting me straight? :banghead:

I enjoy posting with others about trials, this case was a hard case, seems that certain sections of society get more money and attention spent on them than others, I am still scratching my head as to why this case or the Baseline trial get little to no attention yet Casey Anthony was headline news on a daily basis,

I enjoy posting with others about trials, this case was a hard case, seems that certain sections of society get more money and attention spent on them than others, I am still scratching my head as to why this case or the Baseline trial get little to no attention yet Casey Anthony was headline news on a daily basis,

My sentiments exactly! The media doesn't really go out and get news stories anymore. They re-tell each others stories AND they don't want to get their hands dirty.

If its a nice family they go for it. If not they tell a little about it one time and that the end of that. If it is a child they report it and stay on it. Adults, especially prostitutes are low on their list. Look at the Long Island killings....

It is so frustrating!

I might be the only person in the world who feels this way but I hate to even hear the name Casey Anthony. She got away with murder in my book. The evidence wasn't there and mistakes were made. I didn't watch the trial but a few times. It was a circus. I just wish she'd leave the country and never come back. MHO

Where's Perry Mason when you need him.......:floorlaugh:

I don't understand how some people murder and go free, make pleas and spend only a few years in prison, others get life, lwop, or the DP.

Some never go to trial as in the case of a friend of mine's husband. Premeditated murder, mother of two, Shot her in the head with a 357M until she didn't have a head. History of extreme abuse. He never served a day. Supposedly, he attempted suicide and failed. As a result he has no memory of the crime. He now lives on the coast of NC.

Justice?

Sorry for rambling...........

This is going to be interesting............... Mis-trial because she said he "winked" at her? I'd love to know what else she said. They are allowed to talk about the case now aren't they? I thought the judge told them they could it they chose to. My suggestion to the jurors, you better be telling the truth!

I think the juror might have mistaken the wink he gave to a girl on the stand (I think it was his sister). I remember thinking he did it to reassure her that it was ok, he still loved her. I thought it was sweet. It was one of the few times I saw him show emotion.

A new trial because of a wink..........WOW.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back