OH OH - ANTHONY SOWELL, 11 bodies unearthed at his Cleveland home, 2007-09 *dies in prison 2021*

This is going to be interesting............... Mis-trial because she said he "winked" at her? I'd love to know what else she said. They are allowed to talk about the case now aren't they? I thought the judge told them they could it they chose to. My suggestion to the jurors, you better be telling the truth!

I think the juror might have mistaken the wink he gave to a girl on the stand (I think it was his sister). I remember thinking he did it to reassure her that it was ok, he still loved her. I thought it was sweet. It was one of the few times I saw him show emotion.

A new trial because of a wink..........WOW.

I don't think it will be solely based on the wink, I think all defence attys monitor juries post conviction statements as I have seen many jurors commenting on the case they have tried saying things that reveal they never followed there oath when they were deliberating, and jurors often reveal things post conviction which reveal they should never have been sitting on the jury in the first place

but maybe the defence is clutching at straws, time will tell if what the jurors have said reach the level of juror misconduct and he gets a new trial

Some news. newsnet5.com Breaking News: Taxpayers stuck with first class tickets, room service in Sowell trial.

I am no good at trying to get these directions on. just go to newsnet5.:banghead:

I'm glad the judge did this and the victims are happy with the decision. Its time for them to heal and move forward with their lives. Not to say thay won't need a lot of prayers and a lot of support. Its not over for them and may never be but why make them go throught this a second time.

March 10, 2011

Ever since those bodies were found stashed throughout Anthony Sowell's home, investigators have wondered: Did he bury more bodies nearby?

"I think it was on everyone's mind," says Richard Bell, one of the city's chief prosecutors and director of Cuyahoga County's cold-case unit. "We were not only finding bodies in his attic, but there were bodies out in the yard. The crew had to stay out there extensively, for days and days, wondering if they had dug deep enough."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=13097643#.TtyDIfLNkqM

From the same article:
One day in November, a year after the bodies were found in Sowell's home, O'Malley walked into Bell's office and said there was a DNA hit in one of the surge cases: Mary Thomas, 27, who was strangled and beaten to death in 1989.
But the name on the lab report was not Anthony Sowell.
fccf484502fb4ea680c5bbc594d0a9ad_mn.jpg

It was Joseph Harwell, who pleaded guilty to fatally strangling a woman near Columbus in 1997 and is currently serving 15 years to life at a prison in Mansfield, an hour south of Cleveland...

Looking at the body, she allowed herself to think at first that this could not be her daughter — that there was still hope — not this girl with the darkened, ash-colored skin and that red cord wrapped around her neck.
For a long time afterward, Prater feared the killer would come after her. She moved back to St. Louis, her hometown, and stayed there for 10 years.

Thanks for posting these articles on Sowell. I had kinda lost track of him and this reminded me to look him up. He was found guilty of the murders of 11 woman and of the attempted murder of several others.

In looking him up I did find something interesting on him. Everybody is entitled to a defense. And to have others to testify about him. I just wanted to bring attention to one of Sowell's witnesses

A man who killed 11 women and dumped their bodies around his property cried as his prison buddy, himself a convicted rapist, appealed to a jury Wednesday to spare his friend's life.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...rapist-begs-judge-death-penalty_n_917573.html

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

A few more items on Sowell that I found last night but was too tired to post.

48 Hours Photo Gallery
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-5498171.html?tag=page

Anthony Sowell's House of Horrors: Who's Buried There?

November 4, 2009
First Anthony Sowell Victim Identified
The Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office said the first body to be identified is that of Tonia Carmichael. Carmichael, who was identified through DNA evidence, was reported missing in November 2008 when she was 52 years old.

This one's hot off the press:

Sowell's Imperial Avenue House to be Demolished Tuesday

1:58 p.m. EST, December 5, 2011

CLEVELAND, Ohio—
Mayor Frank Jackson's office tells Fox 8 News that the City of Cleveland has completed its asbestos abatement of the home at 12205 Imperial Avenue and the property will be demolished tomorrow.

Iam confused Are you saying that one of the body's found at sowells home was killed by a different person. Are you saying A S worked with another seriel killer or that another serial killer , Killed this girl and then disposed of her body at sowell's house..I don't understand which u mean .

Sowell and Harwell didn't work together, and Harwell is not responsible for the deaths of the women whose bodies were found at Sowell's house. After those bodies were discovered, LE stepped up the investigation on the many other murders that occurred within the same timeframe where the victims shared characteristics with Sowell's victims. In other words, they figured if he killed eleven, he might've killed others but disposed of their bodies elsewhere. During the course of the investigation, DNA revealed that Sowell wasn't the sole killer preying on local women. DNA found on the body of a victim LE suspected had been killed by Sowell was discovered to be that of a convicted rapist, Joseph Harwell. In the end, the investigation yielded not one, but two serial killers.

March 9, 2011

LEVELAND, Ohio -- A cold case squad exploring possible links between decades-old cases and serial killings suspect Anthony Sowell instead uncovered the trail of a killer who may have stalked impoverished women in the Cleveland area during the 1980s and 90s.

Joseph Harwell, 50, was indicted Tuesday on multiple counts of aggravated murder, rape and kidnapping in connection with the deaths of 27-year old Mary Thomas in 1989 and 33-year-old Tondilear Harge in 1996.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/03/cold_case_investigation_links.html

CLEVELAND—Cleveland is tearing down the home where a serial killer dumped the remains of the 11 women he murdered.

Live video from the scene on Tuesday shows demolition equipment clawing apart Anthony Sowell's (SOH'-wehlz) house.

Victims' relatives and neighbors tell media outlets that razing the home will help bring closure, remove an eyesore and stop gawkers wanting to see what has been dubbed a "house of horrors."

The city condemned the property in September.

Police discovered 10 bodies and a skull there in late 2009 after officers went to investigate a woman's report that she had been raped at the home. Prosecutors say the 52-year-old Sowell lured his victims with the promise of alcohol or drugs.

Sowell has been sentenced to death. He's appealing his conviction.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/12/06/ohio_house_coming_down_where_remains_of_11_found/

The house is down. They are now clearing the lot.
I just hope he does fry.:seeya:

Iam confused Are you saying that one of the body's found at sowells home was killed by a different person. Are you saying A S worked with another seriel killer or that another serial killer , Killed this girl and then disposed of her body at sowell's house..I don't understand which u mean .

Sowell and Harwell didn't work together, and Harwell is not responsible for the deaths of the women whose bodies were found at Sowell's house. After those bodies were discovered, LE stepped up the investigation on the many other murders that occurred within the same timeframe where the victims shared characteristics with Sowell's victims. In other words, they figured if he killed eleven, he might've killed others but disposed of their bodies elsewhere. During the course of the investigation, DNA revealed that Sowell wasn't the sole killer preying on local women. DNA found on the body of a victim LE suspected had been killed by Sowell was discovered to be that of a convicted rapist, Joseph Harwell. In the end, the investigation yielded not one, but two serial killers.

March 9, 2011

LEVELAND, Ohio -- A cold case squad exploring possible links between decades-old cases and serial killings suspect Anthony Sowell instead uncovered the trail of a killer who may have stalked impoverished women in the Cleveland area during the 1980s and 90s.

Joseph Harwell, 50, was indicted Tuesday on multiple counts of aggravated murder, rape and kidnapping in connection with the deaths of 27-year old Mary Thomas in 1989 and 33-year-old Tondilear Harge in 1996.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/03/cold_case_investigation_links.html

This is just my opinion and my opinion only:

IOW Columbus had some missing women and some unsolved murders just sitting there. They all had certain characteristics...... drug involved, some with prostitution history, what might be called 'high risk' lifestyles. You don't want to know what those kinds of cases are sometimes called. Those cases were basically just sitting there.

After they accidently found the dead women at Sowell's, they thought maybe they could clear some of the other cases that were just sitting there. Maybe would take some of the sting away for letting Sowell get by with assaulting the one woman who jumped out of the window to get away from him, and the delays in arresting him for the assault of another woman.

So they started looking at their so called 'cold' cases and lo and behold they found a murderer, but it wasn't Sowell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back