OH OH - ANTHONY SOWELL, 11 bodies unearthed at his Cleveland home, 2007-09 *dies in prison 2021*

Anthony Sowell Appeal: Prosecutors Say Ohio Man Who Killed 11 Deserves Death

By AMANDA LEE MYERS
03/12/13 08:27 PM ET
CINCINNATI — A man found guilty of killing 11 women and hiding their remains around his Cleveland home got a fair trial, and his conviction and death sentence should stand, state prosecutors told the Supreme Court.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/anthony-sowell-appeal_n_2863850.html

Cleveland Serial Killer of 11 Seeks New Trial
A Cleveland man who killed 11 women and hid the remains in and around his home deserves a new trial because a judge wrongly closed a portion of jury selection and a hearing where attorneys argued about his police interrogation, the serial killer's lawyers told the Ohio Supreme Court...

His attorneys say the judge in the case improperly closed a July 2010 hearing in which lawyers argued over an hours-long video of Sowell's interview with police. They also said in court filings last week that the judge shouldn't have put the individual questioning of potential jurors off limits to the public as the trial got underway in June of the following year, because do so violated constitutional requirements of trials open to the public.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cleveland-serial-killer-11-seeks-trial-26019958

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/clev...guments-for-new-anthony-sowell-trial/45490311

COLUMBUS -- The Ohio Supreme Court has set April 4 as the date for oral arguments for a new trial for convicted Cleveland serial killer Anthony Sowell.

The announcement was made Wednesday, a day after WKYC reported that the memorial for Sowell's victims will see a groundbreaking Memorial Day of 2016, according to organizers.

Attorneys for Sowell contend that there should be a new trial because Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Dick Ambrose wrongly closed a portion of the jury selection in the trial.

They also contend that a July 2010 hearing in which lawyers argued over an hours-long video of Sowell's interview with Cleveland police officers was improperly held.

Great behind the scenes documentary on this case found here : [video=youtube;WymiIAVczso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WymiIAVczso[/video]

Interviews with original detectives, timelines, witness interviews

In today's Ohio Supreme Court motions and procedural rulings, the Court granted Anthony Sowell’s motion for stay of execution that will remain in effect until exhaustion of all state postconviction proceedings, including appeals of his death sentence.
​
State of Ohio vs. Anthony Sowell

Families of Anthony Sowell's victims can sue Cleveland police detective, court rules
An Ohio appeals court ruled that the families of Cleveland serial strangler Anthony Sowell's victims can sue the Cleveland police detective who they say failed to properly investigate a 2008 sexual assault report against Sowell.

A three-judge panel at the Eighth District Court of Appeals on Thursday reversed a portion of a Cuyahoga County judge's dismissal of a lawsuit filed against a Cleveland police sex crimes detective, her supervisors and a city prosecutor.

I'm coming to this thread rather late, so forgive me. I've brainstormed a list of possible victims:

Gloria Walker
Tarnesha Chester
Cheri Yvette White-Haywood
Jonni Clemett
Georgina Lynn DeJesus
Amanda Marie Berry
Ashley Nicole Summers
Alicia Michelle Hogue

Cheri and Gloria would be at the top of my list as potential victims, though I haven't done any mapping or looked at timeframes.

Are any of the posters on this thread local to this case and could go look at the "missing" posters in the area and report the names back to us?

Hoppy

BBM above...

Search for missing Cleveland woman 16 years later
May 26, 2017

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleveland/search-for-missing-cleveland-woman-16-years-later/443470728

The Sowell case forced change

Sowell kidnapped 11 women between 2007 and 2009 and killed them at his Imperial Avenue home. He also attacked several others.

Many of the women had been reported missing, and six were killed after police were aware of complaints about Sowell. The community demanded answers, and the case put a spotlight on Cleveland police's missing persons protocols.

Weeks after the discovery of the bodies in the fall of 2009, Mayor Frank Jackson ordered a special commission to review the department's investigations into missing persons and sexual assaults. The commission offered more than two-dozen suggestions and Jackson appointed a committee to oversee them.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/05/how_have_missing_persons_inves.html

Most of the victims had struggled with addiction and died of strangulation, prosecutors said. Some had been decapitated, and the bodies of others were decomposed to such an extent that coroners couldn’t be sure how they died.

In interviews with police, Sowell said he targeted women who reminded him of his ex-girlfriend, who had been addicted to cocaine and left him shortly before the killings began.

Neighbors had blamed a stench from the rotting bodies on an adjacent sausage factory, which spent $20,000 on new plumbing fixtures and sewer lines to try to make the smell go away.

The case was a moment of reckoning for Cleveland. Relatives of the slain women, who were Black, and many Black residents said police didn’t take the disappearance of the victims seriously because of their race and troubled backgrounds, and complained about how officers handled missing-person reports. Police said some victims were never reported missing.

Joann Moore, whose sister, Janice Webb, was among the victims, said Tuesday that she was still trying to process a mixture of emotions.

“The ultimate goal was to see this through and see he got justice,” she said. “That was something else we weren’t able to see, him take his last breath.”

What happened more than a decade ago “was a tragic story for the city of Cleveland. It was a tragic story for us that this could go on,” she said.

“I still miss my sister. I know she’s watching down on her son and his kids, and her siblings,” Moore said.

Sowell “could have been stopped years before if we had done our job,” said former Cleveland City Council member Zack Reed, whose East Side ward included Sowell’s house. He said it was regrettable the sausage company was never compensated for the upgrades it made.

Cleveland police failed to connect the dots and realize that missing women, many addicted to drugs and living on the fringe of society, had been murdered by one individual, Reed said Tuesday.

“We didn’t thoroughly investigate those missing women,” he said. “We didn’t take their families and the community seriously.”
Anthony Sowell, Ohio man who killed 11 women, dies in prison

In interviews with police, Sowell said he targeted women who reminded him of his ex-girlfriend, who had been addicted to cocaine and left him shortly before the killings began.

Sowell in a way was a "moral enforcer" type of killer. He thought it was his place to "punish" women addicts for their behavior.

I feel badly for Janice Webb's sister, quoted in the article. At the same time, being there in person to watch Sowell take his last breath via state execution probably wouldn't have given her peace of mind. Other victim's families have expressed similar feelings. Watching someone die by execution can be a traumatic experience.

I do hope all the surviving friends and family members of the victims can now find some peace, knowing that Sowell is deceased.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back