OH - Bethany Griffin, 36, & 4 kids killed by drunk driver, Toledo, 30 Dec 2007

As most everyone knows, my 18 yo step-nephew was killed by an 83 yo drunk driver in September. 83!!!! And HE LIVED, while my beautiful step-nephew with his whole life ahead of him, died.

I feel so awful for this family, what a horrible, horrible thing. May the drunken jerk who did this and the 83-yo idiot who killed Taylor get what they so richly deserve. :behindbar :behindbar :behindbar :behindbar :behindbar :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Reb in the article it states that he was drinking in a hotel. I am assuming since they rented out 3 hotel rooms that this is where the drinking was going to take place so they could just crash and nobody would have to drive anywhere? Also it is stated that the sister was the designated driver but he basically slipped out of the hotel room with nobody noticing. This drunken fool is responsbile for the murders of this beautiful family. Yes most bars are required by law to stop serving alcohol to anyone who seems intoxicated but come on it's a bar...people go there to drink.

In a PERFECT world, the responsibility would lie ONLY with the drunk person. And from a logistical standpoint, yes, of course, the person who put the alcohol to their lips and couldn't stop is where the fault begins and ends. However, think about it. if a person is unable or unwilling to be responsible, and you, the bartender/waitress, keep serving them and serving them, til they are drunk and beyond drunk.... and the manager is aware of it, the doorguys are aware of it, and yet no one does anything.... who is to blame? So now that the person is s***-faced drunk, and they can't control themselves, do we just throw up our hands and say "oh well, nothing I can do... it's out of our hands.. so here's another beer" ....??

So yes, not just the the fault of the person themselves.... because now that the person is wasted, they can no longer make a conscious decision. At that point it's up to someone else to step in. It is a GROUP responsibility to prevent something like this from happening, and here it was a group failure. To keep serving a person who is beyond wasted, for the sake of greed or ignorance, KNOWING they are like a loaded gun.... is criminally negligent.

I just want to hear that SOMEONE at those bars was aware of the situation and made some effort to cut him off, give him some water, inquired as to how he was getting home, etc.
Unfortunately, many bars are still stuck in the stone age and the people who work there just don't care... or they aren't taught to care.

I did see that... and perhaps it was a tricky situation since he did slip out the door... so maybe I'm over-reacting a tad here. However, what's the story with the last bar he went to, after the hotel?

I did see that... and perhaps it was a tricky situation since he did slip out the door... so maybe I'm over-reacting a tad here. However, what's the story with the last bar he went to, after the hotel?

Reb, I think he went to a Taco Bell after he slipped out of the hotel room and the people at the Taco Bell called the police because he was so hammered. Someone else - correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I recall.

"I don't know why he decided to leave," Samuel Gagnon told the newspaper. "Everyone's in shock. We're supposed to be celebrating the New Year, but now I got to look forward to my brother in jail the rest of his life."

Does anyone else find this qoute from the drunken idiot's brother kind of ..i can't even think of the word i'm looking for.
Samuel, the brother, is all concerned that his brother is going to jail the rest of his life, nevermind that his brother is a stupid that just killed 5 people???

Maybe the brother was in shock when he made those comments. Sometimes when you are in shock you don't say everything the right way.

I know about the folks at Taco Bell and to repeat what others have said, they are heroes to have made the phone calls!! As are the other drivers who almost got hit. However.. I was referring to the people in the establishments where they were drinking.....

Maybe the brother was in shock when he made those comments. Sometimes when you are in shock you don't say everything the right way.

Yes - very true - and as Mygirlsadie pointed out, the brother was also quoted as saying that his prayers were with the families whose loved ones were killed.

"I don't know why he decided to leave," Samuel Gagnon told the newspaper. "Everyone's in shock. We're supposed to be celebrating the New Year, but now I got to look forward to my brother in jail the rest of his life."

Does anyone else find this qoute from the drunken idiot's brother kind of ..i can't even think of the word i'm looking for.
Samuel, the brother, is all concerned that his brother is going to jail the rest of his life, nevermind that his brother is a stupid that just killed 5 people???

Having a background in journalism, even though these days it is much different and has less intergrity IMO than 'back then', that sort of thing never bothers me. He could have held a whole speech about the family being killed and if they don't print or air it, then that's that. Also, he could have only been asked to react about "how do you feel about your brother" or something like that. Things like this are never a good ground to judge someone by.

THANK YOU!! I had to re-read the statement as I couldn't believe it. Awww, your poor brother is gonna be in jail the rest of his sucky life. At least you'll be able to talk with him, or communicate with him in some manner. :razz:

I don't think that's fair. If I had any siblings, or a friend, and something bad like this happened as a result of their actions, I would be shocked too. Yes I'd be angry at them, but it also turns your life upside down. I don't feel it is fair to deny this ' brother his own grief. He didn't do anything wrong in this entire event (as far as we know now).

I don't think that's fair. If I had any siblings, or a friend, and something bad like this happened as a result of their actions, I would be shocked too. Yes I'd be angry at them, but it also turns your life upside down. I don't feel it is fair to deny this ' brother his own grief. He didn't do anything wrong in this entire event (as far as we know now).

I agree with both these terrific posts, Janet Elaine!

I didn't say he did anything wrong, nor do I know if he did anything wrong. Although I would like to know how his brother got his truck keys, but that's to be investigated, I'm sure.

The news article I read reported his comment about how he has to look forward to his brother being in jail. The article I read at the time did not say he offered prayers or ANY thought for the family members killed.

I, along with others here, expressed some anger at that comment that appeared to be selfish. So what's the big deal about my opinion being expressed about the only comment I saw from him?

So what's the big deal about my opinion being expressed about the only comment I saw from him?

I don't know where you see a big deal. I just responded to your post with my opinion. :confused:

I think this tragedy has ruined this entire holiday season for me. This is the deepest kind of sadness. God Bless all who have been touched by this horrible tragedy.

The thing is, his brother is still alive, and may not even get life in jail, yet he is still alive, never mind the family of 5 that got killed by his drunk driving. I have seen cases where people get 10 years for killing others during drunken driving accidents. His brother is still here, still alive, still able to see him call him collect from jail, when this family will only be able to see their loved ones when they reach heaven also.

The thing is, his brother is still alive, and may not even get life in jail, yet he is still alive, never mind the family of 5 that got killed by his drunk driving. I have seen cases where people get 10 years for killing others during drunken driving accidents. His brother is still here, still alive, still able to see him call him collect from jail, when this family will only be able to see their loved ones when they reach heaven also.

My point is that the drunk drivers' brother's life has been turned upside down too through no fault of his own, and I don't think it is fair to dismiss or deny him his grief over that, just because others are worse off.

he can have his own grief but i hope he d*mn well thinks long and hard about the booze-saturated lifestyle he, his brother, & friends have been leading... and what took place that night. maybe he might take life a little more seriously now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back