OH OH - Beverly Jarosz, 16, Garfield Heights, 28 Dec 1964

James Jessen Badal is supposed to be writing a book about Beverly and her murder. He is the author of several books on true crime, including the Torso Killer of Cleveland. I didn't know until recently that Beverly was not just tied hand and foot, she was trussed.

Thanks, Stella. I'll keep an eye out for that book. This case has captured my attention. Such an awful, gruesome crime. (But aren't they all?) The narrow window of time, and the fact that the murder occurred in the house during the middle of the day lends a lot of intrigue. I read just about every post on the Topix page, and it left my head spinning. So many possible suspects among Beverly's circle of friends and neighbors! I hope we'll be able to change the thread prefix to "resolved" one day soon.

"Trussed up". Yes. That's what one early news report stated. It's in my fact list. Horrible!!

James Jessen Badal is supposed to be writing a book about Beverly and her murder. He is the author of several books on true crime, including the Torso Killer of Cleveland. I didn't know until recently that Beverly was not just tied hand and foot, she was trussed.

Do you have any information about the book James Jessen Badal is writing? When it might be available? My mother remembers this case vividly, as we lived in the area at the time.

His wiki page says as of this year, it is still a work in progress. It'll be worth the wait, I'm sure, judging by his other books.

This is so bizarre. I'd never come across this thread before (at least, I don't think I have...), and I see the last post (before mine) was by Stella at the end of June, this year. I was just talking about this on another thread, because when I was a child, my sister told me this story (she changed a few small details, saying that the killer was hiding under her bed, and licked her hand which was dangling down as she was sleeping, pretending to be the family dog), and as a result, I was terrified to go to bed at night for the next 8 years or so. I had a nightly ritual that included looking under my bed once I was safely in bed, and then lining up my stuffed animals in a vertical line beside me, so if a man like that were hiding under my bed, he would get the animals instead of me.

My mom worked for Beverly's dad, which is probably what interested my sister so much, and made her tell me the story. It happened the year before I was born.

In reading through the chapter in Renner's book on this case, he indicated that fingerprints were found at the crime scene that did not match the family or any close friends. Does anyone know if the prints were run through the National Database? I went to Marymount High and I remember when Beverly was murdered. So hard to believe that with all of the technology that exists today that didn't in 1964 that this murder wasn't solved.

Bumping for Beverly. It's close to the anniversary of her murder and still no answers.

Thanks for the link, Stella. There's some very good information there, including good, clear photos. I feel so sad for Beverly's family and neighbors, who have experienced some harassment over the years. It seems like there may be a chance to finally solve her murder.

It doesn't seem likely to be a sudden, random attack by a stranger to the neighborhood. It seems more likely to have been someone who stalked her, knew her and her parents schedules and habits. More likely an adult acquaintance of the family than a teen. I also agree with a possible church connection, since her family attended regularly and since she and her sister were students in the parish schools.

I'm really curious why LE was so quick to dismiss 17 year old Michael Lindley Bane of Garfield Heights from suspicion after he committed suicide exactly 2 weeks after Bev's murder. I seem to remember that a source I can no longer find that his alibi was a punched time card from the grocery store where he worked part time. People who use time cards punch each other in and out as a favor if they are going to be late or leave early, so I don't think much of that alibi. I wish LE were more forthcoming with info on this case but I understand that they do have to hold back some evidence that only the killer would know. So looking forward to James Badal's book and the documentary but I have no idea when they will be published/screened for viewing.

Excellent point, Stella, about the time cards. Can they get exhume Bane for a DNA sample?

I can see where just the punched time card wouldn't be much of an alibi but surly he wasn't working by himself so didn't a coworker see him there? Even in the middle of the night, the grocery stores I go in have at least four or five people on the job.

Excellent point, Stella, about the time cards. Can they get exhume Bane for a DNA sample?

LE recovered DNA off Bev years ago but it was next to useless for comparison to suspects. I don't know if they used the more sophisticated mitochondrial DNA tests or not. That's why I'm hopeful LE might still be able to solve her case and bring her killer to justice if he/she is still alive.

The DNA was either degraded by age or there was an insufficient amount to be tested conclusively but I'm guessing here.

My top 3 questions:

1. Why did Beverly let her killer in the house?
2. How did the killer get into Beverly's room?
3. Who was Stephen Stackowicz and why did he call looking for Beverly's father?

My scenario:
The killer was someone who knew Beverly's father, like a carpenter or electrician. Beverly trusted him. He called to make sure Beverly was alone in the house. He then went to the house, but parked somewhere else, maybe the next street. Beverly knew him, so she answered the door. Perhaps he said something like, "Your father called me to fix a faulty electrical outlet in your room." The killer could have had the murder weapons concealed in a toolbox. Barbara heard part of the attack, so the killer waited for Barbara to leave before he fled. Possibly he went out the back door and ran to his car on a nearby street.

The police were too focused on Beverly's friends and boyfriends. Did they even look at her father Ted's associates? What about men who had done work in the home? Did anyone else have a key to the house? What does everyone else think? What am I missing?

I can't wait for James Jessen Badal's book! I look frequently at the Kent State Press website, but no release date yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back