OH OH - Beverly Jarosz, 16, Garfield Heights, 28 Dec 1964

Horrible and fascinating case. I sure hope it will be solved.

One thing I don't get -- if the killer surprised Beverly while she was changing clothes, as the anniversary article suggests, isn't it possible that Beverly did NOT let the killer in but that he had entered earlier and was hiding? No forced entry could mean somehow he had a key, or maybe there was a window that was easy to get into and then close again without leaving signs, something like that.

Interesting article. Bev's mother and sister say that they got 10 to 12 hang up calls a day in the time just before her murder. Almost sounds like a teenage prank caller. jmo

Interesting too about the house being burgled 7 years after Bev's murder. Only a watch was taken but the backing had been removed from a couple of prints that hung on the wall. They were favorites of Bev's, her dad had them framed them for her. It sounds like the intruder was looking for something. Letters, I would guess. He or she might have thought that Bev had hidden them behind the pictures. I wonder if Bev was usually the first one to get the mail if her parents were working during the day ? Was someone writing to her ? jmo Or was it photographs that the intruder thought Bev might have hidden behind the picture fames ? jmo

The idea of Beverly letting in a person she would have known through her father so he could do "repair work" is an interesting concept. However, if she was as cautious as has been indicated, I think she may have contacted her father to verify what the person said before she would have willingly let him into the house. From what I have read on this case, her father was able to be reached by telephone at his place of employment because he was later contacted there by Beverly's mother when no one could reach Beverly at the home.

It is interesting that Steve Stankowicz called the house that afternoon saying he was trying to reach Beverly's father. It is reported that Beverly took a message and left it by the telephone. Would not this person have known Mr. Jarosz would have been at work on that Monday? Could that call have been made to determine if Beverly was there and alone? At the same time as this was in the days right after Christmas, might this caller have thought the father may have been off work for that holiday period? Also, if this caller was involved in the murder, you think he would most likely have sought out and removed that message by the telephone at some point before leaving the house.

The mention in a recent post questioning if Beverly got the mail in when her parents were not home does open the possibility of how the killer could have gotten in. If the family's mailbox was outside and required a person to go outside to retrieve the mail, the killer could have waited out of sight for Beverly to do so then forced her back into the house and upstairs where the murder is believed to have taken place.

I, too, await the book on this case by James Badal.

There were two incidents with the gifts, one time they were left in the mail box and the other time they were left at the back door.

It is a very interesting and very sad unsolved murder case. James Renner, of Cleveland Free Times, and John Stark Bellamy, author of “Death Ride at Euclid Beach,” have both written about this murder. If anyone is interested in learning more about this murder, a great deal of information has been contributed by posters interested in learning more about this murder and sharing what they know or suspect on the following website, http://www.topix.com/forum/cleveland/TN4D7PUG7BV0NNHN3, or by searching for, The Enduring Mystery of Beverly Jarosz.

The topix board seems to have started with good intentions, but has a lot of garbage on it as well. The hostility of some of the posters is crazy.

I have read a lot of information on this case and all the suspects they had back then were supposedly cleared. One of the first articles mentions two brothers as being interviewed and nothing is said about two brothers, maybe cousins. Supposedly the detective in charge of the case back then, Det. Horrigan stated he knew who killed Beverly two days after the murder, he didn't mention a name. But later said that he sat outside the suspects home to watch him. He also called the suspect on the anniversary of the murder every year until the suspect changed the game and started calling the Detective on the anniversary. Unfortunately, there was not enough evidence for a conviction. The fingerprints they found and compared were either those of family members or couldn't be compared due to smudging. This is really a sad situation.

Horrible and fascinating case. I sure hope it will be solved.

One thing I don't get -- if the killer surprised Beverly while she was changing clothes, as the anniversary article suggests, isn't it possible that Beverly did NOT let the killer in but that he had entered earlier and was hiding? No forced entry could mean somehow he had a key, or maybe there was a window that was easy to get into and then close again without leaving signs, something like that.

I was thinking the same thing regarding being "surprised". And, why would she admit anyone knowing that her friend was going to be there at any moment? It's possible that she didn't lock the door being in a hurry and knowing that she was going right back out.

It would also be interesting to know what type of lock it was. Few houses had deadbolts back then so standard locks could be easily slipped with one of those flexible metal rulers or a venetian blind or a credit card and show no signs of being forced.

Also, were the fingerprints in blood so we know they were definitely from the killer?

The 19 y/o being a suspect because he was checking her out in a bikini-come on; get real! lol

Also, were the fingerprints in blood so we know they were definitely from the killer?

The 19 y/o being a suspect because he was checking her out in a bikini-come on; get real! lol
In the articles, it says there was a bloodied palm print, only partial and it was so smudged it couldn't be compared.

As far as the 19 year old, yes I don't think that is a reason to suspect him. What guy wouldn't look at a pretty girl and vice versa?

This is my first time doing this. Sorry if it's bad. Based on what I've read about the case, I wonder if the timeline and events were something like:

12:45 - "Steven Stackowicz" calls. Possibly the killer feeling out whether she was home alone? Apparently there had been several hang-up calls previously, which may have been the same person/for the same purpose.

1:15 - Beverly ends the call with her mother because she's expecting Barbara. Possibly opens the side door but keeps the screen door locked (I'm a cautious person but I have done this before when expecting someone I know within the next 5 minutes). Goes upstairs to get changed.

1:15 - 2:15 - Sometime in here the killer arrives and assaults Beverly. Possibly enters through back door, which was found unlocked? Brings clothesline and turns up radio before going upstairs. Intention may have originally been sexual assault - strangulation is common in sexually motivated crimes. When Beverly fought back the killer stabs her, possibly with her letter opener.

1:25 - 1:30 - Barbara arrives during the assault. She hears the struggle but leaves.

1:30 - 4:10 - Killer leaves sometime after Barbara leaves but before the father arrives. Possibly exits through screen door, which was found unlocked?

In James Renner's book The Serial Killer's Apprentice, there is a chapter about Beverly Jarosz. It was such a provocative story that it left me with lots of questions:

--- Why would Bev, as well as her mother, feel a dark foreboding of death and danger coming at them in the weeks before Bev was murdered? Had the family had some kind of trauma that we don't know about? That made them feel "what next?" (We all have had that kind of PTSD when we suffer several great losses in a row...)

--- Was the gift box or the anonymous gifts (of the silver bracelet and ring) available for forensic testing?

--- Why did the apparently nice young man, James M, living next door to Bev's grandmother go home and change his clothes after his stated 15-minute trip driving Bev home? He said he did that and then had something for lunch.

--- Bev made a habit of locking all the doors all the time, so... who did she let in between her 1:00-ish phone call to her mom and the 1:20 arrival of her friend Barb? The window of opportunity might have been smaller, depending on how long she spoke with her mom. Was the murderer already in the house? If so, how?

--- Was there some stress between Bev and Barb, with Bev hurrying to be ready for Barb's 1PM arrival, and Barb stating she thought Bev might not be answering the doorbell because Bev was irritated Barb was late? It just didn't sound like an easygoing relationship.

--- Same as above.... why did Barb leave when there was no answer at the door, yet she heard loud music and a crashing like a dresser drawer closing inside? Did she really think Bev was angry at her? Wouldn't she have have gone to a house next door and called Bev? It sounded like there was tension in that relationship. Or, they were more casual friends where you give the other person "more space"?

--- It didn't seem like Bev recognized the voice of the man, "Stephen Stackowicz" (who called maybe to find out if Bev was home alone)? If she recognized the voice as a boyfriend or a guy she knew, she wouldn't have left her father that written message.

--- Bev was strangled with a rope tied in a square knot. Who typically uses that kind of knot? Per Wiki, it's used for sailing, tying bandages, macrame, sashes, obis, and belts, as well as in Boy (or Girl) Scouts.

--- What happened to the 19-year-old boy, John P who was home the day of the murder and admitted to watching Bev sunbathe previously?

--- Bev's current boyfriend, Roger M didn't have a good alibi, just that he was home sick... Detective Horrigan felt there were questionable things in his story, even though Roger passed a lie detector test. Remember that forensics showed that Bev had never had sex... a current boyfriend might be a likely guy to put the pressure on for that and then get enraged at a refusal.

--- Besides James Renner's book, I've read posters' comments about the middle-aged, on-strike/off-from-work neighbor, James k, who often stood at his window and looked at Bev's house. At first he said he saw the killer running away, but later changed his story to say that he lied to get attention. Posters wondered if he was paid off by the murderer's family....

I'd love to hear comments or corrections!

--- nothing has been found as to why her mother and well as herself felt death and danger coming at them, Beverly had been into palm reading, not sure if it stems from that. Also the grandmother Vanek must have had the same feelings or knowledge of their feelings.

---I believe the boxes were not available for testing, but the actual jewelry was.

---The question has been asked by a few, but no one seems to find it important and brushes the topic off. It could have been he was doing some sort of work when his mother asked him to give her a ride home, that he was dirty so when he returned home he changed. I am skeptical because if you think about it, he was the last to see her alive other than the killer.

--- No one as of yet can say who she let in, although it is thought that it would be someone with knowledge of her plans for the day. Someone who knew she would be alone, as Carol stayed behind at grandma's. Another thought that is circulating is that is was someone who could see her house and knew the movements of the members of the house. The murderer being in the house before Beverly got home, has been discussed but the idea is not favored by some.

---There are a couple of discussion groups that have some of Beverly's friends in them, but they won't say much, it is not known if there was stress between the two, from the info available in a statement from Barbara- Beverly called her the morning of the 28th from her grandma's to discuss what to wear, Barbara says she told Beverly she didn't want to arrive at their other friend's house before Beverly so Beverly offered for Barbara to come to Beverly's house and they would walk over to the other friend's house together.

--- Some believe Barbara should have stayed and some say it was not proper for her to enter the house to see what all the commotion was. Back then, kids were raised not to open others doors without permission. But the articles mention Barbara saying that the screen door was locked, so that right there tells she did try to open the screen door.

--- As for the rope and the knot, and the knowledge of the knot is said to be someone with military or scout background.

---John P. passed away in 2012, it is said that his sister was approached by the police and she hired a lawyer who saved her from any interrogation.

--- A lot of people feel he was paid off to change his story, or threatened.

In regard to the Beverly Jarosz case:

Somewhere between January 21-29, 1965, a woman sent a letter to Dr. Samuel Gerber, the Cuyahoga County Coroner, that included a sketch or drawing of a man.

I am trying to obtain a copy of that sketch / drawing. I've searched all the Cleveland area newspaper archives, but have not been able to find it.

Do you have a copy you could send me? Can you point me to a web site or a person who might have a copy?

In regard to the Beverly Jarosz case:

Somewhere between January 21-29, 1965, a woman sent a letter to Dr. Samuel Gerber, the Cuyahoga County Coroner, that included a sketch or drawing of a man.

I am trying to obtain a copy of that sketch / drawing. I've searched all the Cleveland area newspaper archives, but have not been able to find it.

Do you have a copy you could send me? Can you point me to a web site or a person who might have a copy?

I have not heard of that, but you may want to contact the Cuyahoga County Coroner's office. I don't know that they would release this or not.

Some thoughts after listening to podcast...

No one noticed a blood stained person leaving the house or around the neighborhood. Perhaps the killer(s) changed clothes before leaving the scene, taking their own clothes away, hidden in a towel or paper bag? Did the family notice if any articles of clothing were missing from Bev's wardrobe or her parents?

Carol, Bev's sister, says she has the letter opener; the only thing missing was Bev's DIARY. I had not heard that before. The only reason to take someone's diary under those circumstances is to hide evidence of the killer(s) identity that might be found within those pages.

LE still has the ring and bracelet that was anonymously given to Bev. Margie, her best friend, said Bev used to wear the ring sometimes. Why would she wear it if she was frightened about the giver?

I wonder if she may have interrupted a burglary in progress when she arrived home from Grandma Vanek's? Rope and knives are part of any good burglar's "tool kit". What was the crime rate for burglary in Garfield Heights in 1964? Seven years later, Ted's (Bev's dad) gold watch would be stolen in a burglary of the house.

The young man who drove Bev home that day, there has always been a question of why he changed clothes when he returned home. The interview states that he had just returned home from a job interview when he was asked to give Bev a lift. In those days, a job interview meant wearing a suit and tie, so I don't find it unusual that he came home and changed into something more comfortable before having his lunch.

Is/was there any way the phone company can trace the call from "Steven Stachowitz"? Most people seem to think this was the killer, checking to see if Bev was home alone.

Good to see Bev hasn't been forgotten on the anniversary of her tragic passing. Will be listening to that podcast.

I agree it's weird that Bev wore the ring sometimes. Sure, who wants to waste perfectly nice jewelry? But I am a jewelry fan and I would NOT wear a ring given to me anonymously, especially if it crept me out. Sounds to me maybe she wasn't that creeped out by it. Or maybe she wore it in hopes of attracting the person who gave it to her???

In Cleveland on December 28, 1964, 16 year old Beverly Jarosz was strangled and stabbed 40 times in her home in broad daylight. A very interesting and unsolved case;to read more, just google her name. Anyone from Cleveland here who remembers this case?
It was 42 times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

beverlyc591a86f01933433fdfc28a54cc32270%201_zpsp0hmlz8p.jpg

beverlyhead-shot-2_zpsvntgaoic.jpg

-719765727baaec49_zpsr6rgzukd.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics