OH - Clermont County father lined up sons 3, 4, and 7, executed with rifle, mother injured trying to protect them, June 2023

BATAVIA TWP., Ohio — A Clermont County judge has ruled that the Miranda Rights of a man accused of shooting his three young sons to death in the front yard of his home in 2023 were violated and, as a result, investigators' interrogations of him cannot be used at his trial.

CLERMONT COUNTY, Ohio (Court TV) — A judge has agreed to throw out the alleged murder confession of an Ohio father accused of killing his three sons.

On Friday, Clermont County Judge Richard P. Ferenc ruled that authorities violated Chad Doerman’s rights twice during their investigation. As a result, prosecutors cannot use any recordings from his interrogation.

If interested, more at link...

Posted at 11:35 AM, March 18, 2024
This makes me sad as it means it is that much more likely that his step daughter and wife will have to face him and testify about events that afternoon. :(

He'll still be found guilty I have zero doubt but I wish I could spare them that experience of reliving it for a jury

CLERMONT COUNTY, Ohio (Court TV) — A judge has agreed to throw out the alleged murder confession of an Ohio father accused of killing his three sons.

On Friday, Clermont County Judge Richard P. Ferenc ruled that authorities violated Chad Doerman’s rights twice during their investigation. As a result, prosecutors cannot use any recordings from his interrogation.

If interested, more at link...

Posted at 11:35 AM, March 18, 2024
This sucks.
But with witnesses and the obvious evidence, like the LE footage arriving at the property, Mum and daughter's witness statements, as well as neighbours and EMS; plus the devastating autopsy results, the case is strong.
If they need to, ballistics would be additional evidence.
I feel the continuing trauma for the Mom and daughter, as well as the wider family and community. It will take them all a long time to be able to get justice for those boys and begin healing.

What really blows is that, from the moment a crime occurs, it's as if all rights transfer to the accused.

We do that constitutionally and it's part of a free and just society, but in times like these, it blows.

He gets all the protections of the law.

And it eclipses the rights of the victims.

A man stands in front of his wife and kills her little boys, rips ome from her arms, guns another down. Who cares what he says? He did it in front of them.

Straight to jail. Do not collect.

But the process allows him to say Not Guilty and the wheels of justice charm for him. Because we take freedom seriously here. His rights are protected because, sadly, they reflect the rights we all enjoy. So we can't strip his away without just cause, the highest standard, beyond a reasonable doubt.

I hope he gets his justice. Full removal from society.

So those left behind can grieve and survive and, if nothing else, breathe. The small relief that he'll be able to hurt no one else.

My heart breaks twice for the mother and her daughter. Victimized in the most awful way by the series of crimes that day, but also, their loss of innocence, that their justice is blocked. Their rights to privacy, decency, truth -- all delayed.

The process has to be gut-rending.

I wish them all the strength in the world.

JMO

Doerman has now entered a plea not guilty by reason of insanity.
Wow I'm super duper stunned by this, who saw this coming *collapses under the weight of my own sarcasm*

I don't see this strategy working out too well if there is any evidence at all that he was researching ways to kill his family in the months or days leading up to the killings. I do suppose his lack of trying to hide the crime works in his insanity favor, but then again he didn't have much chance to try and do so. I'm sure the (step)daughter escaping and calling for help was unexpected.

Wow I'm super duper stunned by this, who saw this coming *collapses under the weight of my own sarcasm*

I don't see this strategy working out too well if there is any evidence at all that he was researching ways to kill his family in the months or days leading up to the killings. I do suppose his lack of trying to hide the crime works in his insanity favor, but then again he didn't have much chance to try and do so. I'm sure the (step)daughter escaping and calling for help was unexpected.
Hah, great minds think alike! We must have been typing at the same time.

BATAVIA TWP., Ohio — A Clermont County judge has ruled that the Miranda Rights of a man accused of shooting his three young sons to death in the front yard of his home in 2023 were violated and, as a result, investigators' interrogations of him cannot be used at his trial.

On the human side, I understand that the policemen were probably traumatized and out of shock, forgot to mirandize Chad.

On the other hand, mistakes like this end up in serial killers walking out of jail in 7 years and re-offerding.

On the human side, I understand that the policemen were probably traumatized and out of shock, forgot to mirandize Chad.

On the other hand, mistakes like this end up in serial killers walking out of jail in 7 years and re-offerding.
They didn't just improperly read him his rights. They also ignored his requests for a lawyer and continued to interrogate him for hours.

The entire interrogation was on video, including the parts after he says he doesn't want to talk without a lawyer and they just keep going. How did they think this wouldn't get thrown out, especially in what was obviously going to be a high-profile case?

Thanks for this video.
I think that with witness testimony, the body cam videos, psychological assessments and expert and police evidence, CD will be brought to justice. I can’t personally think of a male family annihilator who has successfully pleaded insanity, although I think some women have. But post partum psychosis is well know to have potential to cause breaks with reality for mothers who experience it. I can only see a successful insanity plea for CD if he has history of a psychotic illness and acted under delusions that he was “saving” his kids, which seems unlikely.
I think the evidence will show that this was about power and control and revenge on his wife. Strength to mum and her daughter, both showed such incredible bravery but must be so grief stricken.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back