OH OH - Jayme Bowen, 22, Columbus, 10 April 2014

"Human trafficking" is a broad term. Perhaps they are just preferring to her being a prostitute? Although Human Trafficking is usually defined as being tricked into it/kidnapped/held against their will, etc. Perhaps she has a past of prostitution and they fear she got sucked into something much worse?

This is just so awful....

"It's just terrible to think that, in effect, modern day slavery is taking place, and it's taking place in this type of a context, where somebody is being forced to do what they do not want to do, and forced to do in such an awful way," Hilger said. "Statistically, very, very few of these crimes get reported because they're preying on a vulnerable population."

You know kids--thinking on this, just b/c she said she was going somewhere doesnt mean she intended to go there. Being recently out of rehab, maybe there were "approved" places she could go either due to probation, agreetment of rehab facility, her folks not giving her static--you know what I mean?

Damn--how cute is she???? Please be safe Jayme

I normally lurk on WS, but since this case is local to me I felt the need to respond.

I am registered nurse who is involved locally as a sexual assault nurse examiner and in various community forums addressing human trafficking. There is a real problem with human trafficking in Cbus and actually all of Ohio. Sadly it's Ohio's best kept dirty little secret. Ohio, and more specifically Cbus has a very high immigrant population. We are seeing an influx in trafficking due to this very reason. It is easier to hide victims within these communities. And given Ohio's relatively close proximity to Toronto International Airport, it is easy to funnel international victims through Michigan and into Ohio for the sole purpose of trafficking.

Other reasons include the socioeconomic and drug abuse problems in Ohio. U.S. 23 runs right through Cbus. U.S. 23 is a major artery for both prescription pain killers and heroin, and is funneled from the south, entering through Portsmouth and exiting into Michigan. U.S. 23 should be renamed the pain killer/heroin highway now that I think about it. Easy access, so much so that we now have a task force in place to address this very problem. As we all know for an addicted female, sexual trafficking for drugs often goes hand in hand.

An organization that I am involved in that is addressing this problem is Central Ohio Rescue and Restore. http://www.centralohiorescueandrestore.org/

Here is he Ohio Attorney General's 2012 Domestic Sex Trafficking Report http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/2ff15706-77ad-4567-b1aa-d8330b5c4005/2012-Domestic-Sex-Trafficking-in-Ohio-Report.aspx

Another great organization in Cbus providing a safe haven for minors forced into sex trafficking is Gracehaven http://gracehaven.me/

Getting back to Jayme. I have shared her story on FB. Working in a busy ER my coworkers and I might just see her as a patient.

I normally lurk on WS, but since this case is local to me I felt the need to respond.

I am registered nurse who is involved locally as a sexual assault nurse examiner and in various community forums addressing human trafficking. There is a real problem with human trafficking in Cbus and actually all of Ohio. Sadly it's Ohio's best kept dirty little secret. Ohio, and more specifically Cbus has a very high immigrant population. We are seeing an influx in trafficking due to this very reason. It is easier to hide victims within these communities. And given Ohio's relatively close proximity to Toronto International Airport, it is easy to funnel international victims through Michigan and into Ohio for the sole purpose of trafficking.

Other reasons include the socioeconomic and drug abuse problems in Ohio. U.S. 23 runs right through Cbus. U.S. 23 is a major artery for both prescription pain killers and heroin, and is funneled from the south, entering through Portsmouth and exiting into Michigan. U.S. 23 should be renamed the pain killer/heroin highway now that I think about it. Easy access, so much so that we now have a task force in place to address this very problem. As we all know for an addicted female, sexual trafficking for drugs often goes hand in hand.

An organization that I am involved in that is addressing this problem is Central Ohio Rescue and Restore. http://www.centralohiorescueandrestore.org/

Here is he Ohio Attorney General's 2012 Domestic Sex Trafficking Report http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/2ff15706-77ad-4567-b1aa-d8330b5c4005/2012-Domestic-Sex-Trafficking-in-Ohio-Report.aspx

Another great organization in Cbus providing a safe haven for minors forced into sex trafficking is Gracehaven http://gracehaven.me/

Getting back to Jayme. I have shared her story on FB. Working in a busy ER my coworkers and I might just see her as a patient.

So wait.... are you including prostitution in the Human Trafficking Category? Is it human tracking? I always imagined Human Trafficking like paying for people to come to America then sell them to people.

Yes, prostitution can be human trafficking. If the girl is held against her will and the pimp takes her state to state, she is being trafficked. I'm the State of California, where I live, pimps can be charged with pimping, pandering, human trafficking and whatever else they can come up with.

Eta: I've heard of cases where limos are charged with human trafficking in each state they are able to identify they took the girl(s) too. Just recently there was a huge bust here in San Diego. Some some girls were under age but most were not.

Check out: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...y-recovering-victims-of-child-sex-trafficking

Street prostitution is different from sexual trafficking. If it is pimp-controlled it is sexual trafficking. And according to the statistics most victims are U.S. citizens.

Street prostitution is different from sexual trafficking. If it is pimp-controlled it is sexual trafficking. And according to the statistics most victims are U.S. citizens.

What do you mean by street prositution? Street walkers?

Wouldn't any form of prostitution be considered as a type of human trafficking? I know this is just semantics, but interesting nevertheless.

los2188 I would agree. I was using that term to somewhat explain. I believe we are now on the brink of a huge paradigm shift in the way we are addressing the problem of sexual exploitation. Prostitution is just another form. I would venture to say that in 100% of arrests no one has voiced that prostitution was their career of choice.

Since OH has such a dramatic HT problem, it isn't out of line to assume it could be a possibility for disappearance.

Also (my completely unprofessional opinion) but I would *imagine* that someone who has a history of drug abuse might be more vulnerable to a HT scenario.

los2188 I would agree. I was using that term to somewhat explain. I believe we are now on the brink of a huge paradigm shift in the way we are addressing the problem of sexual exploitation. Prostitution is just another form. I would venture to say that in 100% of arrests no one has voiced that prostitution was their career of choice.

There are some persons who engage in sex work by choice, but those that do are rarely the ones picked up off the street and arrested. Those that walk the streets are either there by force or by addiction, and it's a terrible problem.

For those who thought that human trafficking doesn't really occur in the US, or that prostitution is not human trafficking, I would encourage you all to read this article by Vanity Fair.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2011/05/sex-trafficking-201105

For The Record: Human Trafficking in the United States - YouTube Really hits home...

The problems of Human Trafficking are more widespread and far more horrific than many people know. And unless you've had a birds eye view into this evil world, you'd never believe what goes on. How abused and beaten down these victims are, until they have absolutely no spirit left and no sparkle in their eyes whatsoever, and just live forced to endure rape after rape, and not just by humans. This world of horrors does not discriminate either, but does go after those in a vulnerable position. From abused child to unhappy housewife, this is something going on everywhere. And don't think it's just going on in low-class areas, because the truth is, it's everywhere, from next door to some of the wealthiest areas you've ever known of. The very rich and powerful are deeply involved.
I have had the birds eye view and I can tell you that this problem is worse than what I see documented...anywhere. So please, try to keep a very open mind. Something beyond sad happens when one's spirit is broken. I pray and hope the Jayme shows up safely, and soon.

jb.jpg

Jayme is described as 5 foot, 100 pounds, with blonde hair, blue eyes, and "George III" tattooed on the side of her neck.

http://www.toraradical.com/2014/04/missing-from-ohio-jayme-bowen-22.html

I have sent a message to a friend of Jayme's and encouraged her to join this forum. Apparently there have been four other girls that have also disappeared from the same area as Jayme. I am disturbed that these other disappearances are not getting media attention.

I have sent a message to a friend of Jayme's and encouraged her to join this forum. Apparently there have been four other girls that have also disappeared from the same area as Jayme. I am disturbed that these other disappearances are not getting media attention.

I am too. Where did you hear about the 4 others? Can we get more info?

That is very disturbing. I've heard nothing at all on the news about that - otherwise, I doubt I would have gone over there by myself last week. I'm really concerned now.

Thanks for reaching out to that friend...I hope she gets back to you, I hope she's going to LE and I hope she and Jayme's family/friends get more pro-active. There's just not enough noise being made for Jayme and if there's any truth to what this friend is saying about other girls going missing, the count is now up to 8. Yes, eight!
I had a link here, direct to this friends' FB site here, but it was removed, so I broke rules. (Sorry mods) I was just so taken back by friends' words... I didn't think, just posted!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back