OH OH - Jayme Bowen, 22, Columbus, 10 April 2014

Jayme was making the short walk from her sister's home to her parents' place, located a few blocks away, and never arrived.

It leads me to believe that she was probably taken against her will, so I assume that if that is true, the person that possibly took her has some knowledge of her family.

Why is there no news, as far as I can find? I really hope her friend joins us here. Concerned about the possible others missing from the area as well.

What a pretty girl. She looks younger her age, could pass off as a teenager, due to her petite size as well. I hope she'll be located safe and sound soon.

Where are you Jayme??

1236863_818109121542757_3340767813140919495_n.jpg

This may be a dumb question but is the significance of George III

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize if this sounds...shallow, but in looking at our missing young lady's Facebook page, it's easy to see that trouble seemed to surround her by the company she kept...not that she was a perfect angel...

This may be a dumb question but is the significance of George III

George III is apparently the deceased father of her kid(s).

Why is human trafficking the first assumption here? I mean no disrespect, but Jayme had just gotten out of rehab. My first thought was that she decided she wanted a fix and went off somewhere to get one. I doubt she would return home right away after that, since her loved ones expected her to be sober. JMO as someone who has been in drug treatment.

Why is human trafficking the first assumption here? I mean no disrespect, but Jayme had just gotten out of rehab. My first thought was that she decided she wanted a fix and went off somewhere to get one. I doubt she would return home right away after that, since her loved ones expected her to be sober. JMO as someone who has been in drug treatment.

Honestly, I can only assume that LE and those around her know some things that we don't, that would lead them to believe that human trafficking may be a possibility. As I postulated earlier, maybe an unpaid drug debt had something to do with it, but who knows.....

I'm in Ohio as well, although I'm about 3 hours NE of Cbus. I'd just like to add to what SleuthRN posted upthread (GREAT post SleuthRN!) and share some information from a link I came across recently. It's a blog entry by a journalist who was an intern in the statehouse a few years back. It was posted shortly after a report was prepared for our previous AG confirming that Human Trafficking exists in Ohio, both Sex Trafficking and Labor Trafficking.

Some snippets from the article:

Definition of trafficking
(a) recruiting, harboring, transporting,supplying, or obtaining a person for labor or services through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of involuntary servitude or slavery or (b) sex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform sex acts is under 18 years of age.

Here's why Ohio has such a problem with Human Trafficking:
Four major problems that are keeping our youth at risk in Ohio are:

Ohio's weak response to trafficking victims.
Evidence that first responders to human trafficking in Ohio are unaware and unprepared.
Customers who purchase youth remain protected, receiving minimal charges and rarely are prosecuted in any significant way and traffickers receive only minimal consequences as well.
High rates of vulnerable youth in Ohio.

Most people think that those who are trafficked are trafficked OUT of the US. Also not true. Many are trafficked INTO the US.
the United States has played a significant role as a consumer of sex trafficking and is currently the world's second largest destination country following Germany, for women and children trafficked into the sex industry.

Some of the sex trade involves the following:

prostitution
exotic dancing which includes stripping
*advertiser censored*
sexual servitude
message parlors
servile marriage

The article can be found here http://lisadpreston.hubpages.com/hub/Human-trafficking-in-Ohio

I recently started learning more about Human Trafficking in relation to a missing child. And during my research I've found out that not only are there many components to it, but it is a massive social network made up of several players with several roles. It's also not confined to certain areas, and is a problem all over the US. I recently read somewhere that in many areas of the US the sex trade is replacing the drug trade among criminals because they've realized they can only sell a bag of drugs once, but a person can be sold several times a day.

Certain people are more vulnerable to being trafficked than others. Those are runaways, the homeless, and drug users. Among teen boys you can add gay to the list. Those that are trafficked can be groomed online by someone, it may be their dope dealer, for runaways it may be a pimp. Unfortunately, prostitution is very common among runaways as a way to make money, and drug users as a way to pay for their fix. Contrary to popular belief, they're not just snatched off the streets in most cases.

By the way, there is NO state in the US that doesn't have a problem with Human Trafficking. Not one. You may not hear about it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Washington DC alone has a huge problem with trafficking considering it's size.

Human Trafficking is a $32 billion industry worldwide, and it is happening throughout the world in every country and across the United States in every major city and small town. According to the Department of State, 2 million women and children are victims of human trafficking every year. In the United States, 300 thousand children are forced into child prostitution and child *advertiser censored* each year. In Washington DC alone, trafficking innocent children is a $100 million industry.
http://www.innocentsatrisk.org/

In 2013 the 7 worst states for Human Trafficking were South Dakota, New Hampshire, Delaware, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and North Dakota.
http://www.takepart.com/photos/human-trafficking-by-state-2013

In 2013, the National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC) hotline received multiple reports of human trafficking cases in all 50 states and D.C.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (pdf) estimates that there are 100,000 youths under the age of 18 in the commercial sex trade in the U.S. In 2012, 1 out of 8 endangered runaways reported to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children were likely child sex trafficking victims.
http://www.polarisproject.org/take-action/365-days

I wonder if she had been involved in prostitution in the past or if the friend who made the human trafficking comment was. So instead of saying that, she said human trafficking which most people don't realize includes prostitution.

I'm sleepy so I hope I worded my comment correctly. More or less, I'm wondering if the friend is trying to save face for Jayme.

SleuthRN,
Thank you for the very important work you do. :seeya:

I may be confused about this case (I read so many articles online about missing person cases that are listed on websleuths) but I remember reading details about this case that I no longer see listed online. I remember because the story explained why they suspected human trafficking and I remember the part about she had just been through rehab. Since all the extra informative details seem to be gone now I suspect it is because the family want it that way (unless I am just mixing two cases in my mind.)

As I read the article online:
Seems there was a car the family was not familiar with that dropped her off at one place and she was then going to see someone else or some such thing and then later a phone call was received where a muffled or mushy sound quality to the call and the voice (possibly her voice) said either 'leave me alone' or 'let me go home' and then a click.

Based on what I remember of that article I believe there were 2 things she allegedly might have said and they sound similar over a muffled connection. 1. Leave me alone or 2. Let me go home.
Everyone seems to have jumped on the second of those two but . . . .
Now I can't find that account online.

I have to admit that it crossed my mind that she had relapsed and felt so bad that she said on the phone 'leave me alone' meaning she felt so bad that she felt beyond redemption and so best if people left her alone with her fate. (Not saying I feel that way about her though.)

I realize that what I remember reading is not included in the brief account carried in the online stories of the case now. Maybe I did just get stuff mixed up in my memory but I toss this out in hopes it help in some small way.

sonic--- I had wondered that as well---also that maybe she did not exactly plan to go striaght home-to sisters--but take a detour

I see alot of social media shares have picked up for Jayme, which is great, but no news?
Anyone in contact with anyone who knows anything?

Where are you Jayme Bowen?

It's interesting, only one local news station is covering this. Hard to find specific info about the case. According to a facebook page devoted to finding missing persons, Jayme went missing from around 10am near Parsons Avenue and Stewart Avenue. That's not that bad of an area of town - fairly close to where I work. It's the border between German Village (a gentrified part of downtown) and a lower-income, somewhat rougher part of Columbus. I was even at that intersection last week during the day. It was an area I was alert in, but did not feel in danger.

If she was taken in to human trafficking, I doubt she was snatched of the street at random from this intersection. It's too busy, and it's not that bad - you get a mix of professionals, people living in German Village, and some of the lower income residents frequenting the shops on Parsons.

oh, wow. I lived on E Stewart about three houses away from Parsons. I was there two years.

It's a few blocks from German Village and the neighborhood is technically called Merion Village. Once you get past Washington Street, which runs parallel with Parsons Ave., the area can be rough.
Once you cross over Parsons, it gets worse. the neighborhood is a bunch of main streets, like Stewart, with a bunch of alleys that run behind the houses. It's older single homes or duplexes. I lived on a duplex. I parked on Stewart and had all four tires slashed one night. I never knew who did it or why. I chalked it up to kids bored walking through. my roommate had her car broken into and cds taken.

I would not go to the Kroger store on the corner of Parsons and Livingston or the Kroger further south on Parsons because it did feel unsafe.

this is just for others not familiar with the area. I hope Jayme is found safe. prayers to her.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back