OH OH - John Hundley & James McQueary, both 9, Fairfax, 15 Oct 1964

I do believe this may be solved one day. By that, I think the bodies may eventually be found and it may be in that area inwhich construction work of the Columbia Parkway extension was being done at the time of their disappearance. That may not exactly be "solved" in the true sense, but it could give some measure of closure to family members and friends.

OH John E. Hundley Missing since October 15, 1964 from Fairfax, Ohio

John E. Hundley
Missing since October 15, 1964 from Fairfax, Ohio
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: January 13, 1955
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Height and Weight: 4 ft; 85 lbs
Clothing: White t-shirt, black trousers, white tennis shoes.
DNA: Available
Nickname: Johnny

Circumstances of Disappearance

On October 15th, 1964, people saw Johnny Hundley and best friend Jimmy McQueary around the village. They were at the Frisch's Mainliner Restaurant located at 5770 Wooster Pike, Cincinnati on their way to John's house.

The boys never came home and were reported missing at 8:30 PM. The boys were best friends and it would be uncommon to find either boy without the other.

Three years after the disappearance a 17 year old Marine said he could lead police to the crime scene. He was stationed in San Diego when he told a minister he murdered the boys. The young man lived in this home in Fairfax when the boys disappeared. He says he stabbed them to death buried them across the street. Police never found them.

The AWOL Marine then said he made up the story to get out of the service.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Crime stoppers
352-3040
Fairfax Police Department
513-271-7520

Agency Case Number: MP64-1

NCIC Number: M-402700804

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any Agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

NamUs
Local 112
VICAP
Ohio Missing Persons
NCMEC
The Doe Network: Case File 3896DMOH

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3896dmoh.html

Just over 50 years has passed since Johnny Hundley and Jimmy McQueary were last seen. At some point, you hope this matter will be solved.

I would say that the last solid sighting, from someone who knew the boys, would be the waitress at the restaurant. The outstanding bill, which was just over a dollar, was paid with a $20 note - even though the boy's mum had given him the exact money to pay it. $20 seems a huge amount for a 9 year old to have in their possession in 1964 imo. I think it's more likely to be connected with someone with status - and money. Somebody with whom the boys would go with willingly, possibly an authority figure in their community and I think when they do turn up that they'll be miles away from their homes. JMO.

Why was the theory that the boys could have run away, discarded? Maybe that should have been looked into more?

I also agree that McKee should be talked to if he is still alive. His passing of the polygraph is good evidence in his favor that he may not have killed the boys. However, he might have more information that could help LE.

Satch

What became of the 13 year old who confessed to killing a four year old in the same area before the boys went missing according to Charley Project? Was the 13 year old ever questioned in their disappearance?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hundley_johnny.html

Satch

The FBI should get involved in this 5 decade old missing child cold case, if not already.
Technology, communications, investigative techniques, forensics, etc., have all advanced tremendously since the days of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover. FBI BSU/BAU, VICAP, CODIS or other databases were nonexistent when these children disappeared over fifty one years ago.

The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act wasn't signed into law until July 2006, about the same time facebook and other social media went viral. Virtually everyone has a cell phone today which is analogous to a security camera across the landscape of America. Awareness is the key in missing person cases. If all of these investigative resources had been available and utilized in 1964 when 9 year old John Hundley and James McQueary vanished, the outcome would likely have been much different, imo. Tragic...

Without public safety for our children, we have absolutely nothing, imo..

Welcome to websleuths 'lostbrother'. You may want to become verified as a family member. Thanx for joining..

I am the oldest sister of John Hundley. Sad to say l was 20yrs old when this happened. I am now 71. My other brother, sister & l would appreciate any input. There are a lot of theories as to what happened. There were some children that saw them that day. On their way to Fairfax School. In my opinion they never left the school grounds that day. I believe the story the Marine told & then recanted was true. He took the authoritys to the woods when he came home. My mother was there. He was supposed to show them where he buried them. He went to two or three different places before he said it was a ploy to get out of the Marines. I think he got scared & realized how serious this was....thats why he recanted. He was my other brother's age at the time. It was a couple years before he confessed to the Chaplain in California. Why would a young boy, 17yrs old even think that up if there wasnt more to it? My oplnion, it was on his conscious & he had to tell it. There are other ways to get out of the service. My brother & Jimmys brother were friends & neither one of them got along with him. The Marine was around 15 when they dissappeared. I dont think a child would make something like that up if he wasn't involved.

The 13 year old in the Debbie Dappen case wasn't around when this happened. He was already in custody. Johnny & Jimmy helped in the search for her the day she disappeared as did the 13yr old...after he killed her & put her under the porch. Theory was she was still alive when he put her there & died of suffocation from the things he piled on her to conceal her body. She was found the next day.

I remember when this happened in 1964 and then resurfaced in 1967 when the marine initially alleged he had killed the boys and then said he had made up the story. I have previously offered some comments on this case on these pages. I appreciate John Hundley's sister posting here and providing what she remembers and her opinions even though it is a very sad memory for her.

I would like to inquire on her opinion that John and Jim never left the grounds of Fairfax School on that day. A previous retrospective report on local Cincinnati media on this case indicated that the two of them were seen at the nearby Frisch's Mainliner restaurant that day where one of them was paying a bill he owed to the manager. That report stated they were last seen by the manager walking west across the Frisch's parking lot (which is in the opposite direction from where each of them lived). Does she have any comments on that sighting and also any further thoughts on why she feels they never left the school?

Thanks to her and everyone who are keeping this story active on this website.

I remember when this happened in 1964 and then resurfaced in 1967 when the marine initially alleged he had killed the boys and then said he had made up the story. I have previously offered some comments on this case on these pages. I appreciate John Hundley's sister posting here and providing what she remembers and her opinions even though it is a very sad memory for her.

I would like to inquire on her opinion that John and Jim never left the grounds of Fairfax School on that day. A previous retrospective report on local Cincinnati media on this case indicated that the two of them were seen at the nearby Frisch's Mainliner restaurant that day where one of them was paying a bill he owed to the manager. That report stated they were last seen by the manager walking west across the Frisch's parking lot (which is in the opposite direction from where each of them lived). Does she have any comments on that sighting and also any further thoughts on why she feels they never left the school?

Thanks to her and everyone who are keeping this story active on this website.

This FBI VICAP Alert <Alert #: 2010-02-01: Released: 02/01/2010 > also states that they were last seen walking in the direction of their home, Cincinnati Kid.

<BBM for Focus>

At approximately 2030 hours, October 15, 1964, Johnny Hundley and best friend Jimmy
McQueary were reported missing from Fairfax, Hamilton County, Ohio. The boys were best
friends and it would have been uncommon to find either boy without the other. They were last
seen walking to Johnny&#8217;s home from Frisch&#8217;s restaurant located at 5770 Wooster Pike, Cincinnati,
Ohio.
The boys never returned home.

Contact -
- Detective Rodney Naticchioni, Fairfax Police Department, Fairfax, Ohio, at 513-271-7250 or
email address rnaticchioni@vil.fairfax.oh.us
- FBI, ViCAP, (800) 634-4097 or vicap@leo.gov
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/missing-persons/hundley_je_mcquery_ja.pdf

Thanks for providing this information. Just wonder if the boys may have started walking eastbound from Frisch's using Wooster Pike which, even then, had a number of businesses along that stretch? I assume the time given on the report (8:30 P.M. - EST) was when Fairfax Police were contacted. I wonder what time they were seen near the restaurant? That appears to be the last confirmed sighting of them.

They were at Frisches so my family was told. We didnt know anything about Frisches until after the fact. I post this every year on the tragic anniversary on FB. It was on one of those posts this year that a person , who l assume knew the boys, posted that Jimmy was playing with him in his front yard that day. The boys mother called the boy for dinner & invited Jimmy to eat with them. He never said that he went into the house. He also never mentioned Johnny. My other brother nor l didn't recognize the boys name. He said he lived on the street that runs behind Frisches. There also were 2 girls that posted at that time. One was jumping rope in front of her house on Spring St. She said she saw them headed to the school yard. Another girl posted she was playing on the monkey bars, at the school, with Jimmy. Again Johnnys name wasn't mentioned. Our home was on Germania Ave, a street over from Spring St. Johnny left home right after school to go cash in pop bottles at the corner store. He must have met up with Jimmy after that. When he left he was alone. My father had passed away in April of '63 & my mother was at work. I was at home fixing supper. When Johnny didn't come home by 6:30 to eat l knew something was wrong. I called my mother at work & l also called Jimmys home. Then found out they weren't there. My mother came home & we drove around trying to find them. When that failed my mother called Fairfax police. They waited 24hrs before they reported it nationally. They thought they had "run away: also. Johnny wasn't that type of child & had no reason to run away!! The boys played at the school yard all the time. There was some woods next to the school & houses behind the school & the woods. The Marine who confessed lived in one of the houses there. The reason l say they never left the school grounds is because that is where the Marine took the police to show were he buried them before he recanted while he was in custody. In my heart l believe he killed them both & buried them somewhere in the woods. Someone mentioned he had someone with him that day. 2 teenagers could've easily over powered 2 9yr old boys. The Marrine took a lie detechter test. They exonerated him. That's why they can't requestion him. This case was mishandled from the very beginning. If they would've put it out nationally when it first happened. We may not be talking about this 51yrs later!! This is why l say they never left the school grounds that day...l believe they are still there....buried.

They were ar Frisches so my family was told. We didnt know anything about Frisches until after the fact. I post this every year on the tragic anniversary on FB. It was on one of those posts this year that a person , who l assume knew the boys, posted that Jimmy was playing with him in his front yard that day. The boys mother called the boy for dinner & invited Jimmy to eat with them. He never said that he went into the house. He also never mentioned Johnny. My other brother nor l didn't recognize the boys name. He said he lived on the street that runs behind Frisches. There also were 2 girls that posted at that time. One was jumping rope in front of her house on Spring St. She said she saw them headed to the school yard. Another girl posted she was playing on the monkey bars, at the school, with Jimmy. Again Johnnys name wasn't mentioned. Our home was on Germania Ave, a street over from Spring St. Johnny left home right after school to go cash in pop bottles at the corner store. He must have met up with Jummy after that. When he left he was alone. My father had passed away in April of '63 & my mother was at work. I was at home fixing supper. When Johnny didn't come home by 6:30 to eat l knew something was wrong. I called my mother at work & l also called Jimmys home. Then found out they weren't there. My mother came home & we drove around trying to find them. When that failed my mother called Fairfax police. They waited 24hrs before they reported it nationally. They thought they had "run away: also. Johnny wasn't that type of child & had no reason to run away!! The boys played at the school yard all the time. There was some woods next to the school & houses behind the school & the woods. The Marine who confessed lived in one of the houses there. The reason l say they never left the school grounds is because that is where the Marine took the police to show were he buried them before he recanted while he was in custody. In my heart l believe he killed them both & buried them somewhere in the woods. Someone mentioned he had someone with him that day. 2 teenagers could've easily over powered 2 9yr old boys. The Marrine took a lie detechter test. They exonerated him. That's why they can't requestion him. This case was mishandled from the very beginning. If they would've put it out nationally when it first happened. We may not be talking about this 51yrs later!!

Just wondering if Johnny had ever mentioned being bullied by this older youth who later joined the Marines or the other boy who reportedly may have been involved? Was there any suspicion by your family in the days immediately after Johnny and Jimmy disappeared as to who may have been involved?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back