OH OH - Oak Harbor, WhtFem 20-30, UP15854, Love Knot Ring, gap in front teeth, smoker, Oct'75

Port Clinton and Ottawa County is east of Toledo, Ohio. Ottawa County is right next to Lake Erie. I wonder if this was also carried in the Toledo Blade newspaper and in any southeastern Michigan newspapers.

And since the area where the unid was found is close to Canada, it could be possible that the unid may be from Canada.

If she had very bad teeth I fear she may not have been reported missing. Usually those who do not go to dentists don't have the best relationship with police and her family may not have reported her. :/

If she had very bad teeth I fear she may not have been reported missing. Usually those who do not go to dentists don't have the best relationship with police and her family may not have reported her. :/

That was much less true in 1975 than it is today. We didn't have fluoride yet in most areas and we chewed gum and drank sugary sodas in vast quantities. It's a wonder any of us have our teeth left.

That was much less true in 1975 than it is today. We didn't have fluoride yet in most areas and we chewed gum and drank sugary sodas in vast quantities. It's a wonder any of us have our teeth left.

You can see the progression of better dental hygiene in my family over 5 generations:
My grandmother had false teeth
My mother had partials for her missing molars
I have a ton of fillings and had to have two molars removed because of poor dental hygiene when I was a child (I grew up with fluoridated city water).
My son has no cavities! (well water)
I asked my mom about her having no back teeth when I was a kid, and she said that it was just the mindset when she was growing up-people expected their teeth to fall out and be replaced by dentures so they didn't practice good oral hygiene. Why bother if they were just going to fall out, anyway? Of course, our knowledge about brushing and flossing, and quality of dental care has changed a lot between 1913, when my grandma was born, and 2003, when my son was born.

You can see the progression of better dental hygiene in my family over 5 generations:
My grandmother had false teeth
My mother had partials for her missing molars
I have a ton of fillings and had to have two molars removed because of poor dental hygiene when I was a child (I grew up with fluoridated city water).
My son has no cavities! (well water)
I asked my mom about her having no back teeth when I was a kid, and she said that it was just the mindset when she was growing up-people expected their teeth to fall out and be replaced by dentures so they didn't practice good oral hygiene. Why bother if they were just going to fall out, anyway? Of course, our knowledge about brushing and flossing, and quality of dental care has changed a lot between 1913, when my grandma was born, and 2003, when my son was born.

Some people still have that mindset. My sister-in-law had all her teeth pulled a while back because they gave her so much trouble, she didn't want to bother with them any more.

Some people still have that mindset. My sister-in-law had all her teeth pulled a while back because they gave her so much trouble, she didn't want to bother with them any more.

I've noticed that, too. For some folks, teeth are just not a priority, even with today's advances in dentistry. And some, like my husband, are deathly afraid of going to the dentist. My husband had a couple terrible experiences with one when he was a kid, but after he almost died of an infected tooth a couple of years ago (ironically, on Thanksgiving, which is coming right up), he's been going to the dentist ever since. He also wants to set a good example for our son. My goal is to get my kid to adulthood without the dental issues I had at his age. After that, if he doesn't take care of him, it's not on me, LOL

Delores Raye Jones Griffin - Missing Since: October 24, 1975
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1019dfil.html

Race: White
Height: 5'4" to 5'5"
Weight: 100 lbs.
Hair Color: Red, shoulder-length.
Eye Color: Hazel
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Smokes Winston cigarettes.

Husband was seen carrying out a trash bag he left for 22 hours and returned home covered in mud, later committed suicide.

The negative is Delores had good teeth compared to the UID with poor dental hygiene however it was noted that Delores teeth were stained from coffee and cigarettes.

Distance from Romeoville, Will County, Illinois to Ottawa Co is a good distance however one could make a round trip within 22 hrs.

DGriffin.jpgUP_Ottawa_JD.JPG

UID:
Hair: She had medium-length brown or reddish hair
Identifiers: She was a smoker and had given birth to at least one child, possibly in the year before she died.

RC Cola, Lemonheads, Now&Later, Boston Baked Beans, Double Bubble ... cost me $ 6000 ... now I have a Dentyne Smile :eek:ddsmiley:

There are many reasons why people have bad teeth, socio-economics can be one, but being poor doesn't mean people have bad relationships with authority or family. Yes, in our time we see meth mouth and draw conclusions. But, there could be multiple reasons for bad teeth. Genetics. Gingivitis. Certain medical conditions that result in low saliva production. Chronic nasal allergies resulting in mouth breathing and dryness. Etc. As mentioned by alley, sometimes oral hygiene wasn't practiced much. It really was and still is cheaper to get teeth pulled and dentures than extensive dental work. It can also be cultural...not all people from all countries obsess about teeth as we do. I just hate to place this woman in a certain category based on her teeth...IMOO.

This is my first time posting here, and I think this Jane Doe is my reason for being here (along with a few others). This girl was found about 4 or 5 miles South of where I live here in Oak Harbor, OH. I had not heard about this until a couple of years ago when LE shared this story in our local newspaper. She is buried in pauper's cemetery which is right down the road from where I live. The creek that she was found in is in a very rural area, so I have a feeling that if someone murdered her (which IMO is the case) and dumped her body there, they most likely knew the area, that's how rural the creek is. Also, she was found nude and no clothes were found in the area, which makes me believe that her body was dumped there. It can get quite cold here in October, so I'm sure she wasn't wandering around in the middle of nowhere without any clothes on.

About a year or more ago, soon after LE shared her story with local newspaper, they dug up her body and got DNA from the UID girl. Anyway, I called the local Sheriff's office in Ottawa County a couple of months ago and spoke with the lady in charge of the investigation. I inquired about her DNA and the investigator said that they didn't have it back yet. I don't know the normal amount of time that it takes to get DNA back, but it seems to me over a year should be ample time, shouldn't it? I also asked her if they have looked into a lady that is missing from Lorain Ohio (which is about an hour or less East of Oak Harbor), I believe her name is Dorothy Madden(?) that went missing a few months earlier in 1975. I also asked her to contact the DNA Doe Project. Anyway, she really didn't seem interested in anything I had to say. So, I just told her thanks and that I will call her back in a couple of months to see if they have made any progress with the DNA and if they have checked her against any other missing persons in Ohio areas close to us. I guess it's about time for me to call her again.

I have posted on public FB pages here in my area several times about this girl. It breaks my heart that no one seems to care, just a few people interested. I still believe that she can get her name back if more people cared, especially the person here that is in charge of her case, and especially through all the new DNA technology that is giving so many other UIDs their names back. This girl is someone's Mother. She had given birth to at least one child, possibly within the last year prior to her being found! :(

DNA can take a long time, depending on the lab, the degree of backup, the paperwork and funding, the priority on the case (cold cases are usually bumped behind cases that have active court dates or charges pending etc.), the difficulty of the case (old and exhumed remains usually need additional processing) and on and on.

We had a case here in MA where it took almost three years for results to come back.

Thank you. I guess I will just have a little patience and check back with the lady that is investigating this case. There's really not much information or anything else to go on to try to find out who this lady was. She's the only UID in our county/area. I don't know if they have compared her to Dorothy Madden missing from Lorain, Ohio. I just think Dorothy has a lot of similarities to our Jane Doe, but there are absolutely no rule outs listed in for her. Anyway, I'll keep searching missing persons. Hopefully when the DNA comes back they will get some answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back