OK OK - Jamison Family; Truck, IDs, money, & dog found abandoned, Oct 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is just really odd. I'm hoping the search on Friday finds some good news, or significant leads for police.

Originally started by WS member Doublestop in the information and support forum. Thanks Doublestop!

Bobby and Sherilynn Jamison along with their 6-year-old daughter Madyson haven't been seen since October 8.

"Their truck was found in rural Latimer County. Inside were the family's cell phones, coats, ID's and a substantial amount of money.

The family's dog was also inside, barely alive."

More at link:

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11349062

Maybe they stumbled onto a meth operation? I would think that a person meticulous enough to get rid of three people without leaving evidence would not leave the vehicle. And nobody leaves money. That would have been taken even if it needed to be hidden until things cooled down. If they were victims of foul play, the perp must not have known about the car. But then, how would they think that the family arrived at the location?

What is the terrain like? A load of cash and taking the dog sounds like they might have been trying to disappear. I wonder what their pattern of taking the dog around was. The only place I take my dog is to the vet or a kennel when I'm on vacation.

Maybe they stumbled onto a meth operation? I would think that a person meticulous enough to get rid of three people without leaving evidence would not leave the vehicle. And nobody leaves money. That would have been taken even if it needed to be hidden until things cooled down. If they were victims of foul play, the perp must not have known about the car. But then, how would they think that the family arrived at the location?

What is the terrain like? A load of cash and taking the dog sounds like they might have been trying to disappear. I wonder what their pattern of taking the dog around was. The only place I take my dog is to the vet or a kennel when I'm on vacation.

Maybe if they were going camping? Or if they WERE planning to disappear, in route to taking the dog to a friend/family members house?

It's unusual no family members or friends have spoke out yet about the case, the kind of people they are, etc.

Possible theory I've thought of over dinner:

The car with dog, family's cell phones, coats, ID's and a substantial amount of money was found by an oil lease.

Perhaps the family had contacted someone online/via newspaper ad to meet them at the spot in order to proceed with purchase of land. Would explain the large amounts of cash. Taking a longer drive, they brought dog with them for the afternoon so it wouldnt be cooped up inside. Left coats and cells in the car as they got out to examine property, meet with potential seller since it was warm afternoon, no need for phone while walking around field? However, doesn't seem as if motive was robbery since car, money and cells were left untouched. Maybe they were targeted by someone who had a grudge against them, offering to set them up with a great deal on land?

This is certainly an interesting case. Wasn't there another case in the upper Midwest somewhere where a family of four's car was located outside a state park area and a search ensued, resulting in family being found but on the run/not wanting to be found?

Maybe they got in a car/truck with the person showing them the property and there was a wreck?

What does this area look like? Cliffs? Winding roads? I guess I better go google :)

Salem

When I checked the google map, it looks very hilly and rocky.
Topix posters from area say it is rugged. There are wild boars, bears.

There appears to big area (100 sr miles) south of Red Oak that is not accessible by county maintained roads. It is forested and "hilly" but not really that rugged. It is laced with dirt roads connecting old oil drilling pads. I would think if they got "lost", they would be able to find one of these dirt roads easily, it would be hard to walk a 1/4 without finding one). These dirt roads might not lead directly out but I would expect that if they were lost, they would find one of these and would eventually be found. The weather was fairly mild.

People go into the woods to commit suicide; they might kill their family at the same time, but I just can't see leaving the dog in the car to die a slow death. (12 days is a real long time for the dog to still be alive, I wonder if the dog was really in the car that long)

The two pieces of information we are miss is the amount of money and whether the truck was operable. I can't find any answers to these issues.

Was their truck found near the land they were going to look at? Did they have to hike in and how far? Who owns the land? Carrying substantial amount of cash indicates they were going to do a transaction. Did the landowner meet up with them? Maybe he was expecting a call and never heard from them? Who reported this family missing and when?

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1009/670854.html

How does a family disappear without a trace? Latimer County authorities are trying to answer that question as they wrap up another day of searching for Bobby and Sherrilynn Jameson and their daughter Madyson.

The Jamesons disappeared October 9th. Their truck was found in Red Oak, about 140 miles south of Tulsa.

Authorities say, the Jameson's were out looking at 40 acres of land near Red Oak

More at link.

FBI now involved. Family last seen Oct 9th near Red Oak. Truck was found by hunters.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11356491

(snip)
"It didn't look like to me that they got out and walked, it just looked like they got out and that was it. They didn't take their coats, it was kind of cold that day, they didn't take their cell phones, of course they didn't take their dog," said Sheriff Beauchamp.
Sheriff Beauchamp says investigators have looked into the Jamison's past and there doesn't appear to be any signs that they were in trouble or looking to start a new life. He says there's no obvious reason why they disappeared.

I'm still not hearing that anyone reported them missing. Who is there family, where do they work? Why did they stop the truck?

Are the hunters and the resident who called the same people/persons?

http://www.4029tv.com/news/21387742/detail.html

(snips)
Sheriff Israel Beauchamp said hunters on four-wheelers found Bobby and Sherilynn Jamison's abandoned truck last Saturday near the Panola Mountain.

Beauchamp said a resident in the community of Red Oak called 911 Saturday to report that the abandoned truck was found.

"(They) knew that the vehicle had been there for a while because they had spoken with that family on the 8th and the morning of the 9th," Beauchamp said.

Beauchamp said he is working with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and the FBI. He said he is not ruling out foul play.

So strange how little has been said about this case. I would think there would be much more publicity since an entire family vanished.

I thought it was odd that the article mentions them being last seen Oct. 9th near Red Oak and that they were looking to buy 40 acres. How do they know how much land they wanted to buy? Did the person/s who last saw them have that information? If so it seems a little off that this family would tell a random stranger how much land they were going to buy. I can understand saying something like 'oh we are here to buy some land' but not 'oh we are here to buy 40 acres'. Maybe its just me but that seems weird. If family members knew about the land, it seems like they would have been reported missing much sooner....if someone knew they were going out to look. Also about the truck being found by hunters, what made them call the police about it? I know they said the dog was in bad shape...I would think it would be too far gone at that point to be up and barking. Were the hunters looking inside the vehicle? Why?

Very odd.

Was their truck found near the land they were going to look at? Did they have to hike in and how far? Who owns the land? Carrying substantial amount of cash indicates they were going to do a transaction. Did the landowner meet up with them? Maybe he was expecting a call and never heard from them? Who reported this family missing and when?

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1009/670854.html

How does a family disappear without a trace?

All excellent questions-- seems to me that perhaps no one reported them missing and that hunters stumbled upon the truck days after the last reported sighting of the family with their truck (as evidenced by starving dog left inside).

I feel that this family was indeed going to make a transaction, whether to purchase the property, put a down payment on the land, buy the deed to the land whatever. Is there a way to trace exactly who is selling what land/property to someone in OK? For example, a lot of realtor companies have a centralized database where all their listings are located, sometimes available online to browse for potential buyers, sometimes only accessed by licensed agents. So did this family happen upon a website offering this property? Was this a word of mouth thing from a friend ("Hey, a buddy of mine got a great deal on land near Tulsa, here's his info check it out etc."), answering a newspaper classified or Craigslist posting?

It seems to be a fairly isolated area and from what they left behind in the car (dog, cell phones, coats etc.) it doesn't seem likely that the family was going on a mid-day hunt/picnic/camping trip. Had the car been abandoned with cell phones, money etc. and NO dog, I would think more along the lines of perhaps this family was escaping from something, wanted to get away etc. No need for cash/cells/ID if you disappear into the brush and live off the land....However, to leave behind the family pet is troubling. The couple had a young daughter who probably would have been devastated if they had moved on/away and left behind the pup. The worrisome detail to me is the dog left behind and the condition he was in when hunters found the car. Even though he is apparently a small dog, a significant amount of time had to have elapsed for the dog to be appear to be "in bad condition" to the point of starving. I know my dog wouldn't look like he was starving after 3 days...but maybe after a week or longer. Seems like a large chunk of time elapsed between last spotting of family and when they were discovered missing. Where was family reporting missing?

since coats and cell phones and am I understanding this correctly, their identification? was left in the truck with their dog? Is the spot they found the truck on the property that they wanted to purchase? Did the seller meet them somewhere? I find it very odd that this mother and father took their daughter and the family dog with them on this trip to purchase the land. I think it's a good chance that they had already looked at the land previously and had the cash on them for a down payment or something like that. Think about it, do you take your kids and your dog with you the first time you go see a new place? Heck no, I think they were ready to purchase the land.

1. Has LE made contact with the property owner?
2. Is this land where the truck was found even the land they wanted to buy, perhaps someone drove the truck there for staging purposes?
3. Police had to get the info that they were looking to purchase the land from someone right? Wonder if the daughter attended public school and talked to any of her friends about moving or even about her parents?
4. Do we know what breed of dog this was that was found? Hoped they checked for DNA and any hairs or fibers or ....anything they might have been able to get from the dog. It doesn't make sense to me that this family got out of the truck to look at land and didn't take the dog. Something fishy about that part. I mean I can see leaving the dog in the truck if they are going into someone's house or into a business, but to look at land? nopey, the dog would have been checking that out with the family.

elle, you statement about staging sure makes me think.

I wonder if the money was hidden and if it was, robbery could still be a motive and the perp just couldn't find it.

I've looked through all the articles and can't find his middle name. Does anyone know his middle name? I've found a few recent court documents but I don't want to post them unless I can verify his middle name.

I've looked through all the articles and can't find his middle name. Does anyone know his middle name? I've found a few recent court documents but I don't want to post them unless I can verify his middle name.

Didn't see it right off hand. Do the records match his address?

Wow...this is a weird one. I'm not sure what exactly to think. I have the same questions == no work looking for them, no school, no employer?? Where exactly did they live? Has it been searched? Neighbors talked to?? Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled