OK - Nex Benedict, 16 year old student died after being beaten in school restroom, Owasso, Feb 8 2024

Thanks for posting, I think I was still reeling from the comments from Superintendent Ryan Walters.
Okay, I found the quote. I also saw that he attended Harding University <modsnip>.

One wonders how he ended up in such a powerful position at the age of 38.

Last edited by a moderator:
Head Bashed Against Floor? Unconscious?

snipped for focus. @MyBelle Per your post, Nex's "head was bashed against the floor to the point of unconsciousness."

FWIW, from Owasso PD Facebook, on Feb 22, a re-release of info released Feb 21:
"...All students involved in the altercation walked under their own power to the assistant principal's office and nurse's office...."
There are a few more points about that, including the "registered nurse gave each of the students "a health assessment... and it was determined that ambulance service was not required."
"...the school nurse recommended that Nex Benedict viit a medical facility for further examination."

I've tried to read all the MSM links but apparently missed this.
A link pls. @MyBelle ? Anyone? TiA.
There is a link upthread where someone posted the LE body cam video from youtube. Nex was in the ER talking to the officer about what happened before "blacking out." Then, the officer explains to Nex's mom that the school "dropped the ball on this one" because they failed to notify LE about the bathroom assault.

JMO

"I got jumped".
Is that what Rex said on the recording?
Normally someone would be hysterical if that happened to them. Rex seems... like this has happened before, and is used to no one taking threats against her safety seriously.
IMHO Rex was terrified every day and trying to cope with humor.

Honestly this hits too close to home for me, so I only saw a few moments of video before I had to stop. I apologize if I missed something.
Please know you're not alone.......

Okay, I found the quote. I also saw that he attended Harding University <modsnip>.

One wonders how he ended up in such a powerful position at the age of 38.
He should be removed from his position for his bigoted, racist ideology.

JMO

@MyBelle
I would appreciate your posting the link you referred to, as I requested earlier. Not a post saying there is a "link upthread."
TiA

==============================
From my earlier post:
"MyBelle said:
Nex's head was bashed against the floor to the point of unconsciousness....
A link pls.
@MyBelle ? Anyone? TiA."

Last edited:
@MyBelle
I would appreciate your posting the link you referred to.
TiA

From earlier posts:
Head Bashed Against Floor? Unconscious?
MyBelle said:
snipped for focus. @MyBelle Per your post, Nex's "head was bashed against the floor to the point of unconsciousness."
I've tried to read all the MSM links but apparently missed some.
A link pls. @MyBelle ? Anyone? TiA.
It's a youtube video from the police body cam posted upthread. Sorry, I can't remember who posted it.

Nex is explaining to the LE resource officer what went down before Nex "blacked out." It is my opinion the "black out" was a direct result of having Nex' head bashed on the floor.

JMO

I’m confused as to why WSers would doubt the possibility of suicide? I understand why the family has opinions, and I think it would make sense for them to want an independent autopsy, but why should we think it couldn’t be suicide?
(snipped by me) It confused me as well. I've even seen people online bad-mouthing the medical examiner for daring to come to such a ruling. I think people are disappointed that, with this ruling, the girls who physically harmed Nex will be charged with something less, or maybe not charged at all. To a degree, I'm disappointed as well, but that does NOT mean I am going to ignore science, toxicology evidence, and the opinion of a forensic pathologist! I trust that the forensic pathologist looked for any evidence that the head trauma contributed to the COD. They likely documented all of Nex's injuries at the time, and mentioned it in the report, but at the end of the day, they are looking for what was the immediate COD; in this case, multidrug toxicity.
It is not uncommon for family members of suicide victims to reject that finding (and, to be fair, in a small minority of cases, they are correct and the cod is overturned). The COD of suicide does not make this case any less tragic, and while the girls are now less culpable in the eyes of the law, I agree that they should retain culpability for the physical assault.

@MyBelle
I would appreciate your posting the link you referred to, as I requested earlier. Not a post saying there is a "link upthread."
TiA

From my earlier post:
"MyBelle said:
A link pls.
@MyBelle ? Anyone? TiA."
This would be a very important link.

He should be removed from his position for his bigoted, racist ideology.

JMO

He was elected to his position. And he ran on pretty much the same agenda that he's been reiterating in the wake of Nex's death regarding trans kids, wokeness, and so forth.

Chances are slim that he'll be removed from office by the very same people who elected him in the first place.

(snipped by me) It confused me as well. I've even seen people online bad-mouthing the medical examiner for daring to come to such a ruling. I think people are disappointed that, with this ruling, the girls who physically harmed Nex will be charged with something less, or maybe not charged at all. To a degree, I'm disappointed as well, but that does NOT mean I am going to ignore science, toxicology evidence, and the opinion of a forensic pathologist! I trust that the forensic pathologist looked for any evidence that the head trauma contributed to the COD. They likely documented all of Nex's injuries at the time, and mentioned it in the report, but at the end of the day, they are looking for what was the immediate COD; in this case, multidrug toxicity.
It is not uncommon for family members of suicide victims to reject that finding (and, to be fair, in a small minority of cases, they are correct and the cod is overturned). The COD of suicide does not make this case any less tragic, and while the girls are now less culpable in the eyes of the law, I agree that they should retain culpability for the physical assault.
The ME should have listed "undetermined" as the manner of death. There was no way for him to know whether Nex was suicidal or not. His decision gives the impression that he is more worried about liability if a civil lawsuit is filed.

The school didn't take the bullying of Nex seriously. They didn't bother to contact police after the assault.

JMO

Nex’s death raised questions about the issue of bullying and whether the school district was doing enough to protect students subjected to harassment. Nex, who used the pronouns he, him, they and them, had been bullied in the past over their gender identity, which did not align with societal stereotypes.

The ME should have listed "undetermined" as the manner of death. There was no way for him to know whether Nex was suicidal or not. His decision gives the impression that he is more worried about liability if a civil lawsuit is filed.
All due respect; how do you know this? We have not seen the whole report. We do not know about other evidence. We do not know about Nex's past medical/mental health history. I am not willing to oppose the ME's opinion until I have all the information that they were working with, and I understand if this is never publicly released, and thus I have no choice but to stand with (barring evidence of misconduct, government interference, etc) the professional opinion.
<modsnip>

BBM. No, the three girls don't have a strong case at all. The girls were not injured.

There is no justification for the three of them to tackle Nex onto the floor and head-bash to the point of unconsciousness.

All three should be prosecuted.

JMO
At what point does it become self-defense though. According to LE (bodycam) Nex instigated the assault. She poured water on all three girls and pushed one into a metal paper towel dispenser. All of this occurred before they threw her to the ground. Then Nex says her friends jumped in as well.

At what point does it become self-defense though. According to LE (bodycam) Nex instigated the assault. She poured water on all three girls and pushed one into a metal paper towel dispenser. All of this occurred before they threw her to the ground. Then Nex says her friends jumped in as well.
Self-defense doesn't allow excessive force. Nex said his black-out occurred, so the info about a friend stepping in was not based on Nex' recollection. The resource officer assured Nex' mother that he would interview all parties and their guardians the next day.

JMO

All due respect; how do you know this? We have not seen the whole report. We do not know about other evidence. We do not know about Nex's past medical/mental health history. I am not willing to oppose the ME's opinion until I have all the information that they were working with, and I understand if this is never publicly released, and thus I have no choice but to stand with (barring evidence of misconduct, government interference, etc) the professional opinion.
<modsnip>
The report we have seen lists bleeding, cuts, bruises, scars.
I have no idea about Nex' past mental health history but I'm betting the guardian and physicians who prescribed the drugs know full well what conclusions should be drawn.

JMO

“No lethal trauma,” listed several significant injuries. These included bruises around Benedict’s right eye and on the right side of their face, minor cuts on their right cheek and ear, and scrapes on both ears and the left cheek, along with bleeding under the scalp. On the teen’s chest, there was a scrape and a contusion, which, along with a specific type of bruising, was likely from attempts to save his life through CPR. Additionally, Benedict’s limbs showed a mix of fresh and healing bruises, scrapes, and scars, particularly noticeable on the back of their left hand, according to the family. By sharing these details, the family aimed to highlight the extent of physical harm Benedict experienced, countering any suggestions that the assault he faced was minor and urging for a fuller examination of the events leading to his death.

Wait what?
Sounds like a mean girls sequel.
<modsnip - quoted post, response removed>

As outlined in the full report, the Medical Examiner found numerous areas of physical trauma over Nex’s body that evidence the severity of the assault. Specifically, the report notes:

II. No lethal trauma.

A. Head and neck: Two contusions, right orbital region; right scleral hemorrhage; two lacerations (1/4 inch, cach); right check and right external car, two abrasions, right external ear and left cheek.

1. Scalp and subgaleal hemorrhages.

B. Torso: Abrasion, right upper chest, abraded contusion, central chest

1. The abraded contusion of the central chest and an anterior atrial ecchymosis/contusion are consistent with having occurred during cardiopulmonary resuscitation efforts.

C. Extremities: Scattered asynchronous abrasions and contusions. 1. Multiple healing linear injuries and scars, posterior left hand.

“We cannot afford to be passive bystanders,” emphasized Sherman. “Now more than ever, we must stand in solidarity with LGBTQ+ youth and demonstrate our unwavering commitment to their well-being.”

The report we have seen lists bleeding, cuts, bruises, scars.
I have no idea about Nex' past mental health history but I'm betting the guardian and physicians who prescribed the drugs know full well what conclusions should be drawn.

JMO

“No lethal trauma,” listed several significant injuries. These included bruises around Benedict’s right eye and on the right side of their face, minor cuts on their right cheek and ear, and scrapes on both ears and the left cheek, along with bleeding under the scalp. On the teen’s chest, there was a scrape and a contusion, which, along with a specific type of bruising, was likely from attempts to save his life through CPR. Additionally, Benedict’s limbs showed a mix of fresh and healing bruises, scrapes, and scars, particularly noticeable on the back of their left hand, according to the family. By sharing these details, the family aimed to highlight the extent of physical harm Benedict experienced, countering any suggestions that the assault he faced was minor and urging for a fuller examination of the events leading to his death.
From your post:

“Additionally, Benedict’s limbs showed a mix of fresh and healing bruises, scrapes, and scars, particularly noticeable on the back of their left hand, according to the family.”

Interesting that there were notable scars and bruises at various stages of healing. Surely these could not all be the result of a fight one day previously? Definitely not the scars.

1. Nex does not use she/her Pronouns.
2. The "push" into the dispenser occurs AFTER the 3 girls have hands on Nex, I believe he specifically says they grabbed his hair. It's plenty reasonable to push someone off of you, no?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back