OK - Nex Benedict, 16 year old student died after being beaten in school restroom, Owasso, Feb 8 2024

At what point does it become self-defense though. According to LE (bodycam) Nex instigated the assault. She poured water on all three girls and pushed one into a metal paper towel dispenser. All of this occurred before they threw her to the ground. Then Nex says her friends jumped in as well.
I think in many districts, the force used to defend oneself has to be proportionate to the threat faced.

From your post:

“Additionally, Benedict’s limbs showed a mix of fresh and healing bruises, scrapes, and scars, particularly noticeable on the back of their left hand, according to the family.”

Interesting that there were notable scars and bruises at various stages of healing. Surely these could not all be the result of a fight one day previously? Definitely not the scars.
Back of the hand could well be self harm :(

At what point does it become self-defense though. According to LE (bodycam) Nex instigated the assault. She poured water on all three girls and pushed one into a metal paper towel dispenser. All of this occurred before they threw her to the ground. Then Nex says her friends jumped in as well.
Nex poured water, then one of the attackers grabbed her by the hair.
I've seen girls fighting in this style-- grab the hair with one hand so the head can be held as a stationary target while the other hand swings.

1. Nex does not use she/her Pronouns.
2. The "push" into the dispenser occurs AFTER the 3 girls have hands on Nex, I believe he specifically says they grabbed his hair. It's plenty reasonable to push someone off of you, no?
What makes you think Nex uses he/his pronouns? I haven’t seen that. Maybe we are both wrong.

What makes you think Nex uses he/his pronouns? I haven’t seen that. Maybe we are both wrong.

"Ally said Nex primarily went by he/him pronouns at school but also used they/them pronouns, which Nex's family also used. Several other friends said Nex preferred he/him pronouns."

I think in many districts, the force used to defend oneself has to be proportionate to the threat faced.
I think this is true as well.

Likewise, from what I have seen, school administrators take a dim view of students being a "player" (openly laughing) in a confrontation- then claiming "self defense" when things escalate.

Though this concept would also apply to Benedict (throwing water makes one a "player" as well), the totality of the response by the other girls was not only disproportionate, they had arguably started the ball rolling.

YEP! B! S!!!! The following is my opinion after listening to the mom's 911 call - that isn't someone who found their kid dead of a suicide. "Her eyes are rolling up, her breathing's weird, she's posturing" she sounds really surprised, and of course I can't know for sure but from the police bodycam she seems the sort of mom to be really attentive and caring (I hope I am accurate) so hopefully she had Nex under supervision after such a physically & emotionally traumatizing incident.

My thought is... the "school resource officer" didn't take it seriously because of, probably, obvious issues in this country and that state in particular, AS WELL AS Nex having admitted to throwing water on the other girls - the cop may have viewed that as a get out of jail free card for the kids who beat Nex up since that can technically be "starting" the fight. Personally I'd view the start of the fight as them grabbing poor Nex, as well as kicking their legs out from under them & kicking them down on the ground.

The hospital may also be negligent in this. Hospitals get busy and don't always fully investigate things like "just a fight at school (you know how kids can be!)" but hospitals also employ hateful people... just as schools do... because in Oklahoma you may not be able to discriminate based on hatefulness, but you can on gender.

Why do we have such a problem letting people be who they are in this world?? Very reminiscent of the Brianna Ghey case.

People should not be dying for being themselves.
For wearing what they want, dressing as they want, being addressed as they prefer. In this case? For LAUGHING WITH THEIR FRIENDS... unbelievable.

My grandfather once said something so poignant. we were discussing Freddie Mercury (an uncle had said something underhanded about how Freddie made him feel uncomfortable but 'at least' he was a good musician... as if that made up for him being gay? was the tone....) and an old man raised in the 1940s - a farmer, a firefighter, a deer hunter, an old school man's man by any account - my Grandpa said, "I'm not comfortable with some things and some people either but life is not about being comfortable. Life is just loving to learn and learning to love. Everyone has a right... to be." I love that. "A right to be". Whomever exists has a right to be here. NEX has a right to be here. This one has me extremely angry.

PS. my grandfather was usually a jokester (would have anyone in stitches) but that is one of few things he's said that remains cemented in memory word for word... a man of genius in my eyes!!
Her death was ruled a suicide by the county medical examiner. She OD'd on two drugs...one OTC and one prescription drug.

Her death was ruled a suicide by the county medical examiner. She OD'd on two drugs...one OTC and one prescription drug.

<modsnip>

And -- our posting physician @BeginnerSleuther indicates that the two meds are frequently used together with no problems.

Personally imho the family should consider a second autopsy.

Reported striking deceased' head on bathroom floor -- bruises under scalp....

Waiting, impatiently.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is true as well.

Likewise, from what I have seen, school administrators take a dim view of students being a "player" (openly laughing) in a confrontation- then claiming "self defense" when things escalate.

Though this concept would also apply to Benedict (throwing water makes one a "player" as well), the totality of the response by the other girls was not only disproportionate, they had arguably started the ball rolling.
I think I'm going to only comment, once (hopefully) we get more details on the sequence of the attack.

At the moment it could be that Nex pored a bit of water and then was immediately attacked and excessive force was used. This should result in charges.

Alternatively Nex could have pored water on 1 girl and then immediately proceeded to throw girl 2 into a dryer. With that girl 3 got involved to defend her friends. That changes the dynamics a lot.

I think we all deserve to see the full police investigation for clarity.

JMO

I think I'm going to only comment, once (hopefully) we get more details on the sequence of the attack.

At the moment it could be that Nex pored a bit of water and then was immediately attacked and excessive force was used. This should result in charges.

Alternatively Nex could have pored water on 1 girl and then immediately proceeded to throw girl 2 into a dryer. With that girl 3 got involved to defend her friends. That changes the dynamics a lot.

JMO
Very good point.

There are two equally plausible versions of events. One cant discount one version simply due to preconceived beliefs about one group or the other.

As for clarity.... With your point of two versions in mind, my guess is that this has a strong potential of devolving into an inconclusive, "He said, she said" type finding in regards to a criminal investigation.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is a high burden of proof and might not be reachable based solely on "Well, side "A" said that...."

Last edited:
Drugs. Rx & OTC. And "PROBABLE" CoD.
And -- our posting physician @BeginnerSleuther indicates that the two meds are frequently used together with no problems.

Personally imho the family should consider a second autopsy...
jmho ymmv lrr
snipped for focus @Laughing
Agreeing w ^ re considering second autopsy.

Also understanding that our posting physician @BeginnerSleuther "indicates that the two meds are frequently used together with no problems." Not questioning that stmt as a fact.
Very glad that @BeginnerSleuther :) shares facts, wisdom, and experience from the sometimes- baffling-to-me world of medicine.

But ATM the Med Examiner's (lab's?) findings re the AMOUNT of either drug in Nex's body have not been publicly released.

From Med. Examiner's Mar. 13 "Summary Report" ---
"Probable Cause of Death"
"DIPHENHYDRAMINE AND FLUOXETINE COMBINED TOXICITY"

IDK what info was still in question or unknown at the time of this report, but seems something was still missing.
And @Laughing like you, I'm waiting impatiently.

===============================
TYVM to @imstilla.grandma :) for posting an image of the "Summary Report."

Last edited:

JMO
No initial report of the fight was made to police prior to [Nex's] admission to Bailey [Medical Center], although information was taken by a school resource officer at the hospital.
How accurate could the police report be if it was delayed?
Why did the school not call police immediately after the assault in the school bathroom?

also
Why has the state medical examiner’s office been operating without accreditation for at least fourteen years??

No initial report of the fight was made to police prior to [Nex's] admission to Bailey [Medical Center], although information was taken by a school resource officer at the hospital.
How accurate could the police report be if it was delayed?
Why did the school not call police immediately after the assault in the school bathroom?

also
Why has the state medical examiner’s office been operating without accreditation for at least fourteen years??
It is my understanding that neither the school nor the police knew about the fight until the family reported it at the hospital later. Is that right?

MOD NOTE:

Going forward in this discussion we ask that you respect what’s been stated by the family and used by other approved sources when it comes to Nex’s pronouns and use THEY/THEM. This, and personal beliefs about the issue, are NOT up for debate here.

Does it change the dynamics to the point that the girls didn't commit a crime? Saying "they started it" is not a defense.

MOO.

Does it change the dynamics to the point that the girls didn't commit a crime? Saying "they started it" is not a defense.

MOO.

Article is very short.
Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said in a statement that after reviewing the investigation by the Owasso Police Department, he agreed with an assessment from detectives that the fight between Nex and three girls was an “instance of mutual combat” and that charges were not warranted.

Article is very short.

Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said in a statement that after reviewing the investigation by the Owasso Police Department, he agreed with an assessment from detectives that the fight between Nex and three girls was an “instance of mutual combat” and that charges were not warranted.
And there ya go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back