Old Dog kicked out of Condo by HOA!

CAMS Management does not even follow their own philosopy. How could they possibly expect respect from the community they are building in?

http://www.camsmgt.com/cams/sub_category_list.asp?category=8&title=Our+Philosophy

LOL! I think their view of 'serving people' is warped!

I've emailed a local architect/friend of mine asking the question I posted above...

~snipped~
I have a question that perhaps a sleuth can answer. When a contractor buys a tract of land to be parceled and developed into homesites under the umbrella of an HOA, does the developer file the original HOA covenants with the county before any homes are sold? IF so, would the HOA be responsible from there on out to file any updated covenants with the county? TIA

Thanks to all here who are concerned about this injustice!:blowkiss:

I live in an HOA controlled community. Originally the HOA's dictated that everyone had to have a fenced in backyard within a year of moving in. Well some how or another the original HOA's got lost and were not given out at loan signing. Bottom line, the backyard fencing or anything else in the covenants could not be enforced on all of those homeowners. It's a mess that's still being dealt with.

Maybe a good lawyer will step in and help this lady.

Here's what I've learned from my architect friend regarding covenants. Hope I'm getting this right.....

The original covenants are written by the bank who loaned the money to the developer to insure the value of the properties. The HOA is the only party who can enforce the covenants once all properties are purchased. Before all properties are purchased the developer and bank enforces the covenants. If the HOA is inactive (I assume by lack of holding annual meetings or having a quarum for such meetings) then the individual property owners must sue to enforce the covenants.

It sounds like this HOA/mgt company doesn't have their shizz together regarding providing the correct covenants to the agents who sell homes in Willoughby Park. My question is, Are HOA's required to provide the correct documents to new unsuspecting homebuyers. Do HOA's report to an agency that oversees injustices such as this and holds them accountable? And who protects the home buyer from receiving bogus and outdated documents regarding the HOA?

I LOVE THIS! This is a site where you can rate your HOA.........check it out, it's pretty cool!

http://www.rateyourhoa.com/

Brilliant!

Here is a blurb from the above site.

WELCOME TO RATE YOUR HOA
THIS SITE CAN HELP YOU WITH PROBLEMS
WITH YOU HOA
This site can give you a voice that will be heard by your HOA management, Board of Directors, Association Lawyers, Property Management and the HOA membership. Publicity is a strong tool that none of the above want.
Homeowners in a Covenant Community (HOA) can express an opinion by giving a rating of their HOA published on the Internet. A rating is an opinion that is a member’s right to express under Freedom of Speech as in the First Amendment.
A Member’s rating his/her HOA is one of the most effective methods of communication and least expensive for an owner to express his frustration when there is conflict with the management.

CLICK HERE TO CONTACT US.

I live in New Hanover county and this is a real sore spot for me. It really p***es me off. How can anyone think that a large dog is more destructive than a small dog? This is totally outrageous. I lived in a condo on the beach at one time and moved because of the "board of directors" constantly changing the rules and getting into everyone's business. These people have nothing better to do than to upset people. The "board" is usually made up of very Politically inclined *advertiser censored**es who are constantly feuding with everyone and have their little moment of power and glory so that they can feel important. I don't even have to guess that the "board" had small dogs and didn't like large dogs. Some retired person who moved here from out of state probably started the whole thing.

I know what you mean. I posted a comment on WECT's site stating I was posting this story on WS in an effort to gain support for Paige but I think they must censor the posts because I haven't seen it yet. I was hoping the others who are just as outraged as we are would come here and we could brainstorm on how we could help Paige and Haleigh.

Another Grrrrrr!:furious:
--------------
This is the local newspaper: you can register for the forum and you can also send a note to the editor.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/

I live in New Hanover county and this is a real sore spot for me. It really p***es me off. How can anyone think that a large dog is more destructive than a small dog? This is totally outrageous. I lived in a condo on the beach at one time and moved because of the "board of directors" constantly changing the rules and getting into everyone's business. These people have nothing better to do than to upset people. The "board" is usually made up of very Politically inclined *advertiser censored**es who are constantly feuding with everyone and have their little moment of power and glory so that they can feel important. I don't even have to guess that the "board" had small dogs and didn't like large dogs. Some retired person who moved here from out of state probably started the whole thing.

This makes me angry too! I had bad experiences with the power-mongering, micro-managing idiots who ran the HOA when I lived in a condo. They concentrated their energy on non-issues and turned what could have been a lovely place to live in, into a nightmare. OH--and everyone had to follow the laws except for them. They even rigged an election when one of the planned winners wasn't winning the election.

I feel so sorry for Page and Haley. I think Page should sue them! I would love to see someone challenge the stupid HOA and win. If she didn't have an updated, correct copy of the CC&R's and no one told her differently, she is entitled to keep her dog. IMO. Sometimes following the letter of the law is not the "just" thing to do...something that is beyond the comprehension of the usual HOA official peabrains.

http://www.wect.com/global/story.asp?s=10660152

This is so wrong in every sense of the word. The homeowner bought her condo in '07 and was given a copy of the original HOA covenants. Unbeknownst to her the covenants were changed in '06 and a weight limit for dogs was added to the covenants. But why have they waited all this time to enforce this? I feel Paige should take legal action. What would you do?
I am so totally confused!! WHO gave her an obviously "old" copy of the original HOA covenants that had been revised a year before she moved in? I do think she definitely needs to take legal action. I doubt she would've moved in had she been given the correct (amended) copy. :furious: MOO

http://www.wect.com/global/story.asp?s=10660152

This is so wrong in every sense of the word. The homeowner bought her condo in '07 and was given a copy of the original HOA covenants. Unbeknownst to her the covenants were changed in '06 and a weight limit for dogs was added to the covenants. But why have they waited all this time to enforce this? I feel Paige should take legal action. What would you do?

I'd FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! :(
It is inhuman to seperate a 13 yo dog from her mom. That is insane.
The HOA messed up when they gave her the wrong set of rules.
Now years later they make a huge deal out of this?
Shame on them!:mad:

lonetraveler, Thanks for the link to starnews online. I am glad that you contributed to the thread as I remembered you being from this area.

Apparently, HOA's are not required to cough up a copy of amended covenants to agents or potential homebuyers. It sounds like the agents receive the original covenants that were written by the bank and the developer. If later changed, the HOA is not held accountable to provide the amended copies to their new neighbors. I beleive there is a huge loophole in the system. I find it hard to believe that Paige would have purchased her condo had she known this. It would be the first thing I would investigate because I'm not getting rid of my 'babies' for any thing. My heart would break if I were faced with finding a home for my 11 year old pup for such nonsense.

I have the opposite problem with my dogs. They are small and do yap if someone walks past the door and I'm glad of it. They are my built in security system to alert me of intruders. The HOA president hates them and told me so. He has a big dog who never speaks, I think the poor fellow is afaid to bark. This president is especially cruel and stalkeresque. He told me he resented me being here and really got in my business asking personal questions about my living arrangement. (I moved in with my bf 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and was no longer able to work)
He repeated how many loads of laundry I do per week, when I take showers, ect. He apparently sits downstairs and listens to everything I do up here. Sick. Waaaayyyyy too much time on his hands. I was advised by a retired judge to file a restraining order against him but he hasn't bother me since my bf told him off and shared this info with him and stated that we have proof of harassment with the nasty notes he left on my door. Thing is, he only does this when my bf is away working. I truly think he has a problem with women.

I think everybody who has lived in a HOA community has horror stories. Speaking out certainly helps deter the harassment because you can bet your bottom dollar that I have informed all the neighbors of his shenanigans and they keep an eye out for me when he's around. He owns 4 or 5 homes and is only here on occasion but now he stays out of my way. WE do have rights!

I hope enough folks voice outrage at this injustice that Willoughby Park will grandfather Haley and allow her to come home with her mommy. Paige now lives alone and must sleep at night with out her best friend beside her.

I'm still :furious:! Don't give up Paige! Alot of people are rooting for you!:blowkiss:

Again, Thanks to all of you for your wonderful contributions to this thread!

We live in the country, always have, so all of this HOA crap would drive me insane :mad:

To me it sounds as if Paige has a good basis for a lawsuit and I hope she pursues legal action. I'm sure she would never had purchased that condo had she known about the clause.

I'm a mellow person, but if you want to see me spin off ... be cruel to an animal :furious:

Here's what I've learned from my architect friend regarding covenants. Hope I'm getting this right.....

The original covenants are written by the bank who loaned the money to the developer to insure the value of the properties. The HOA is the only party who can enforce the covenants once all properties are purchased. Before all properties are purchased the developer and bank enforces the covenants. If the HOA is inactive (I assume by lack of holding annual meetings or having a quarum for such meetings) then the individual property owners must sue to enforce the covenants.

It sounds like this HOA/mgt company doesn't have their shizz together regarding providing the correct covenants to the agents who sell homes in Willoughby Park. My question is, Are HOA's required to provide the correct documents to new unsuspecting homebuyers. Do HOA's report to an agency that oversees injustices such as this and holds them accountable? And who protects the home buyer from receiving bogus and outdated documents regarding the HOA?

From my experience as President of a Co-op Corporation, I would think that if the woman purchased the property on the basis of the HOA agreement that she was given as part of the purchase, and that agreement was not the updated one, then she would only have to abide by the agreement she was supplied at purchase. Whoever gave her the wrong information is at fault. I don't believe the HOA has a leg to stand on. The next time, they have to make sure that the proper covenants are supplied to potential purchasers.

"Apparently, HOA's are not required to cough up a copy of amended covenants to agents or potential homebuyers. It sounds like the agents receive the original covenants that were written by the bank and the developer. If later changed, the HOA is not held accountable to provide the amended copies to their new neighbors."

(Note-- had to cut and paste above quote by myself-- quote feature not working!"

The fact that the HOAs are not required to gived out amended covenents to agents and potential homebuyers is OUTRAGEOUS! Sounds like FRAUD to me. The terms of sale are not being specified in a truthful manner -- very deceptive. I believe if this went in front of a judge, he would say that the woman was sold the property under false pretenses. I hope she gets a lawyer and goes after the HOA!

Everytime I read about these control freaks, I can't help but think of Dennis Rader.

lonetraveler, Thanks for the link to starnews online. I am glad that you contributed to the thread as I remembered you being from this area.

Apparently, HOA's are not required to cough up a copy of amended covenants to agents or potential homebuyers. It sounds like the agents receive the original covenants that were written by the bank and the developer. If later changed, the HOA is not held accountable to provide the amended copies to their new neighbors. I beleive there is a huge loophole in the system. I find it hard to believe that Paige would have purchased her condo had she known this. It would be the first thing I would investigate because I'm not getting rid of my 'babies' for any thing. My heart would break if I were faced with finding a home for my 11 year old pup for such nonsense.

I have the opposite problem with my dogs. They are small and do yap if someone walks past the door and I'm glad of it. They are my built in security system to alert me of intruders. The HOA president hates them and told me so. He has a big dog who never speaks, I think the poor fellow is afaid to bark. This president is especially cruel and stalkeresque. He told me he resented me being here and really got in my business asking personal questions about my living arrangement. (I moved in with my bf 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and was no longer able to work)
He repeated how many loads of laundry I do per week, when I take showers, ect. He apparently sits downstairs and listens to everything I do up here. Sick. Waaaayyyyy too much time on his hands. I was advised by a retired judge to file a restraining order against him but he hasn't bother me since my bf told him off and shared this info with him and stated that we have proof of harassment with the nasty notes he left on my door. Thing is, he only does this when my bf is away working. I truly think he has a problem with women.

I think everybody who has lived in a HOA community has horror stories. Speaking out certainly helps deter the harassment because you can bet your bottom dollar that I have informed all the neighbors of his shenanigans and they keep an eye out for me when he's around. He owns 4 or 5 homes and is only here on occasion but now he stays out of my way. WE do have rights!

I hope enough folks voice outrage at this injustice that Willoughby Park will grandfather Haley and allow her to come home with her mommy. Paige now lives alone and must sleep at night with out her best friend beside her.

I'm still :furious:! Don't give up Paige! Alot of people are rooting for you!:blowkiss:
-------------
I have two boxers who are my family. One of the boxers, Oscar was my husband's help dog and companion until my husband died. The other boxer is Maggie, I got her two weeks after my husband died to help us through our grief. Oscar is nine years old now and Maggie is four. Due to a disability and losing my job of 21 years I may end up losing my house. I have decided that before I give up my dogs for a place to live, we will live in an old motor home I bought just prior to my disability. Although some campgrounds and RV resorts now have restrictions on dog size usually not over 20 lbs. Ridiculous. Does anyone know why there is discrimination on larger dogs. Many times the larger dogs are much quieter and gentler than the smaller dogs. If you clean up after your pet when you walk them it should not matter the size of the waste?????????

From my experience as President of a Co-op Corporation, I would think that if the woman purchased the property on the basis of the HOA agreement that she was given as part of the purchase, and that agreement was not the updated one, then she would only have to abide by the agreement she was supplied at purchase. Whoever gave her the wrong information is at fault. I don't believe the HOA has a leg to stand on. The next time, they have to make sure that the proper covenants are supplied to potential purchasers.
-----------
Penelope, since you have been involved as President of a Co-op, could you please explain for me why the size of the dog is so important? TIA.

-----------
Penelope, since you have been involved as President of a Co-op, could you please explain for me why the size of the dog is so important? TIA.

I am not penelope but I can explain why it happens where I live. I looked at over 200 apartments (even with slumlords) before I found one that would let me keep my mut, who is just over 50 lbs. Mostly, it is because of the more aggressive varieties, if you ever notice pit bulls are a no way jose everywhere! Landlords don't want to deal with dog fights, dog fighting owners, or anyone being bit by a large dog. Most people are intimidated by them. Some landlords are afraid of more damages being done to their properties. Fleas, dogs chewing baseboards, loud barking, or even those that do not take the dog outside to relieve itself and allow them to do so inside (horrible but it happens) as examples. Then there is the issue of repairmen, mailmen, delivery, knocking neighbors, etc... Anyway, that is what happens where I live. I think it is sad. However, I am talking about apartments, not condos, but I would think the reasons would be about the same.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back