OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Corvallis, 24 May 2004 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here. I have been following Brooke's case intently. She reminds me a lot of my baby sister who is the same age. I think the idea of the BIL being a suspect is an interesting one. I'm sure they have interviewed him closely and also examined relationships within the family. I really hope he has been ruled out. That would be absolutely horrible. Not that it isn't already.

--Leigh

Jade said:
I thought of him also.

I felt "bad" thinking that. My mind went there for the following reasons:

1. Most people are killed by someone they know ( I'm hoping she is alive)
2. The cleaning bucket was left behind as if she was called away for a second by someone she was close to
3. She is so pretty, is her sister as pretty as she is......isn't she staying with them? I think a lot of men can be tempted by a young pretty girl....

hi guys - still not much to report from Corvallis. Sung Koo Kim was released (again) from jail after his parents posted $100,000 bond. People in the area are being urged to search private property and abandoned buildings on their property.

like Scandi said, the cable news alerts are pretty amazing. they've been on several cable channels for the past few days.as far as that being common, I've never seen such a thing. i'm such a crime-nerd that i always try to keep up with missing persons cases and in Houston we had a TON of them. Adults, young adults, children, with a small blurb on the news (if that) and then nothing. So, yeah, it seems this case is getting pretty intense coverage.

now they just mentioned something about a security camera in the area of Brooke's disappearance on the news preview (kgw) and then did not follow up.....grrrrrr.

This is my first post to this site. I discovered it while doing some research on this case.

As my name would imply my posting name is also my profession. I live in the Albany/Corvallis area and have been covering this story from the beginning, and have personally met most of the principle players- the family, the police, the searchers, and the neighbors. It is a very emotional story to cover for a number of reasons which I will expand upon later.

First, I would like to respond to a few things I've read on this thread.

One thing I've discovered is that speculation is rampant, and in some cases things have been reported by the media that are not true, or at least misleading. Rumors abound. For instance, it was reported that a saw mill was searched because a psychic had called the tipline telling police to search a nearby sawmill. True, an abandoned sawmill was searched. However, that sawmill happened to be in an area that was in the particular grid search for that day and it had nothing to do with the psychic. Anyone who knows this area knows that there are LOTS of abandoned sawmills nearby that closed after the spotted owl became an endangered species. This is just one example. The psychic aspect was also played up because during one of the press conferences Lt. Noble said that "We are looking seriously at every tip." Later he was asked if they had recieved tips from psychics and people who had dreams about Brooke and he confirmed that they had. So some reporters said that the CPD was following up on dream tips. It goes on and on.

MysteryMomma is not the first person to question whether the brother in law may have done this. Brooke was, by far, the prettiest member of the family. However, both brother-in-laws have been completely ruled out and were by mid day the day after the disappearance. Some of the rumors regarding this theory were verrrry vicious. Particularly around the neighborhood of the apartment.

As to the security cams. There are none at the apartment complex. Period. Outdoor security cam tapes have been collected from other businesses from around the area. For instance there is a convenience store nearby etc. That was actually done early on in the investigation too, but early on CPD were playing their cards pretty close.

As to Mr. Kim it's interesting to note how he was linked to OSU. He was originally busted with panties and bras that he had stolen from coeds at George Fox college. Turns out he had quite a collection at home and liked to organize them, keep track of where he stole them and when-even writing down the name of the person they were stolen from a couple of times. A pair of the panties had an OSU address. The person he stole them hadn't even reported them gone (which makes sense, how many of us have lost a sock?).
The question I can't get answered about Kim is why OSU, and whether he had stalked this individual prior to stealing her underwear.

Personally, and I'm only speculating, I think that the search should spread out more along highway 20-34 and areas that are easily accessed from the highway but also obscured from view during daylight hours. The gravel pit that was excavated was an area that concerned me on Tuesday. It has instant access to Hwy 34 but no one goes down there. Last summer a person happened to walk down in that area and found an outdoor meth lab, that according to police, appeared to have been in operation for quite some time sitting only about 200 yards off the highway. The Corvallis/Philomath area(particularly Philomath) are surrounded by places that a quick dump could be made unnoticed just off the highway. My theory is that is how they will find her. Some of the areas that have been searched, in my opinion, are sometimes too remote. This crime, to me, seems to be one of convenience.

As to why no witnesses, part of it is that you have students in class and people at work. OSU is a big campus and the apartments around OSU are filled with students.

I was at the vigil. (damn this is more of a blog, I'm sorry) What struck me was how many people were crying. I don't think I've ever seen 500+ people teary at the same time. I was okay till the kids started singing. I was proud I made it thru "How great thou Art" but the children singing was just too much. I was up near the front close to the family and had to get away before I lost it.

I went back behind the crowd and moved away from the courthouse and near sidewalk. As I was gaining my composure I noticed a woman moving around the back of the crowd near where I was with a handicam. Then I noticed a couple of others. The police were filming the gathering. A couple of times a uniformed officer would approach one of camera people say something and look off in a general direction and the camera person would take off to where the uniformed officer was looking. It was confirmed later when all of the camera people got into an unmarked white van with a uniformed officer driving and took off.

What makes this really difficult is to talk to family members daily and see how they continue hoping that Brooke is alive. It's more than hope. They BELIEVE she is alive. It's the juxtaposition of their optimism vs the grim fact that there a nearly no tangible leads or suspects.

One final personal observation. This is a nice loving family. They aren't rich, they aren't put on. They have been devastated. One night during a press conference Cammie, the mom, was asked what it was like to go home. "It's...quiet...and...sad. The dogs are even sad....they're just....so...sad." It made me so angry that these people could be treated so horribly by some sick s.o.b. I hope they find the person that did this to Brooke and her family. They deserve closure and justice.

Today 2 more persons of interest were dropped from the list. Two more were added. Kim remains a "person of interest."

Best wishes.

Newsperson-

Thanks so much for your insight. That was such a well-written, thoughtful post.

I am glad you're here. Welcome.

That was very informative NEWSPERSON. A lot of those details are not making it in the media. I can relate to what her mother said. After such busy days where you are surrounded by tons of people, the nights are very quiet and the nightmare becomes even more real.

Newsperson- Thanks for the insightful post. Our hearts are hoping Brooke will be found safe and soon. Our prayers are with her and her family.

IMO

Dear Newsperson,

I also thank you for coming to our site to talk to us about Brooke, giving us your observations.

One thought I gained from reading you is that the police planned ahead of time to document with photos everyone who attended the vigil as part of their sleuthing plan, as often people like this who commit crimes where death is involved go back to the scene of the crime, to the funeral or to public gatherings where they honor the victim. I don't know why, but would guess they do this to relive a moment in time, much as serial killers often take a momento.

Let's hope this works. I wonder why the 2 new persons of interest are suspect. And did they attend the Vigil? I think they were maybe looking to see if anybody they might feel is of interest was at that vigil. Do you think they are keeping watch of the site from where she disappeared? You have the feeling he was stalking Brooke - knew her habits and times of arrival, lunch break, etc? The OSU student whose underwear Kim had, do you really think he would stalk her and then sneak into her room to get a pair of panties? Sounds pretty risky to me. I would rather think that he was branching out for new colleges to strike as the 'panty raider. I read he was charged before with entering dorms on three other universities. He wouldn't dare go back to these schools. He must have some connection to that Corvallis area to pick OSU as his next university for a dorm panty raid. I mean he had 1000 pieces of underwear the police laid out in that one picture they show on TV.

Well most interesting. I liked you idea of searching Hwys 20 - 34 for the reasons you stated. They must run east and west.

Keep us posted if you will, as we are all simply pulling for her safe return home.

Thanks,
Scandi

Newsperson you should share your ideas about where to seach with someone involved with the searches......is the church still involved with that? Or contact some of your LE connections. Your instincts seem sound on this case.

Thanks for your observations and thoughts.

RCOOKE said:
That was very informative NEWSPERSON. A lot of those details are not making it in the media. I can relate to what her mother said. After such busy days where you are surrounded by tons of people, the nights are very quiet and the nightmare becomes even more real.

Hi Mr Cooke,

It is good to see you here. I have thought so much about Rachael and wish with all of my heart that she will be found to come home to you and your family. I've read lots of posts by you and believe me, if she could come home guided by a bright star, it would be you.

Scandi

Hi Newsperson,

Thank you so much for this post and for bringing your insight here. I was especially interested to read about the vigil being filmed; I'm now sure this might be a 'regular' practise at most vigils. Learnt something through your post!

One wonders if people don't want to believe society has some sickos running free ~ perhaps that's why a few folk go one step further than the usual 'eliminating a family-member first'. That must be terribly distressing and does little to help the pain. Conversely, it's a natural reaction, too. I know that Dru's b/f, Ed Smart (etc etc) were all given a tough time too.

I know this family is suffering, praying, hoping, searching and greeting each day with a numb response. Hundreds of folk are praying for Brooke as well as the many other missing souls. These events change lives, re-shape our family network and cut right through our belief system.

The paradox is that generally these monsters walk about undetected and quite freely for years on end ~ out in the open and yet, in the blink of eyelid a precious & innocent soul is usurped from a loving family.

Scandi, you're a skilled warrior of justice and one of the most caring and thoughtful posters I've ever come across.

Prayers for Brooke...

Annie.

been out of the loop, working last couple days...is there no news about this young lady? God give her family strength.

Thanks, also, Newsperson. Please, if you can, continue to keep us informed on the search for Brooke. I am so glad the BIL's have been ruled out.

Mr. Cooke, your family is in my prayers for the return of your precious Rachel.

--Leigh

Newsperson said:
This is my first post to this site. I discovered it while doing some research on this case.

As my name would imply my posting name is also my profession. I live in the Albany/Corvallis area and have been covering this story from the beginning, and have personally met most of the principle players- the family, the police, the searchers, and the neighbors. It is a very emotional story to cover for a number of reasons which I will expand upon later.

I haven't posted in forever, but I've been following this and other missing persons sites on a regular basis. Is it me, or does there seem to be a lot of missing children/teens coming out of the Oregon area?

Miranda Gaddis, Ashley Pond, etc. And now this beautiful young lady. Just wondering...

Hi everyone,

I did not know WS had a board for Brooke.

I have been deeply disturbed by Brooke's disappearance for several reasons. First, I live 30 mins from where she was abducted. Second, I am LDS also and she is an outstanding LDS youth. One who truly lived her faith. Third, because I am always touched by missing cases. Fourth, I feel horrible for her fiance who is on a mission in Venezeula. I can only imagine the horror he is going through.

Someone asked about the CTR ring. I know it has been answered but it is very similar to the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) that mainstream Christians wear on items. The CTR (Choose the Right) is given at a young age, but it is a cheap ring given at that time. Many of us active LDS people buy the more expensive rings of 14k gold or sterling silver to wear as a constant reminder. I bought all 4 of my kids the expensive ones for Christmas one year. They all loved them.

I am totally amazed at how much faith Brook's family is showing. They are a total inspiration to me.

I pray each and every day, several times a day to help bring some kind of news of her whereabouts. I think of her often, just like I did Laci, Miranda, Ashley, Elizabeth, and so many more.

I so want to have this turn out happy like with Elizabeth, but I don't have a good feeling about this.

:eek:(

Hey, Hi Calikid! I'm glad you decided to post here, as there are some really special people that you will meet - probably already knowing them by heart by now, reading since January! ;)

An interesting post you have written, to boot! Oregon. Land of the Empire Builders, home of the brave and free! Yes, it seems that we should be way beyond this, being able after all this time as a state to inspire people to be fair and lawful. The real estate code of ethics in Oregon is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Golden Rule. And yet we have our fair share of henious crimes, as every other state must have.

What is it? I don't think it is our particular environment and collection of people that is responsible for these crimes. Are you a Cali Kid transplanted in Oregon? It might be that you hear more about local crimes if you live here. I think every state has more than its share of murder, and everything pretty well equals out.

But there is another factor too. For some reason the public picks up on certain crimes and follows them faithfully, feeling some unknown affiliation with the crime, taking justice for the victim/s to heart. It is probably because in some way, there go but I, or my niece who resembles her so much, or this ape of a man who looks just like my next door neighbor - whatever the reason. The All-American gal, like Laci, who we would all love to know.

And Cali, we might have an exceptional press force in our state with outstanding connections to the media. Everyone hears routinely across the nation what happens in our state. A pretty evenly balanced state - not too much to the left or the right, but rather a gentle mix of both, depending what time frame you are talking about.

Because of this, we are heard loudly. And our problems are known to many. And some of our crimes have been illustrious and horrible. Burying 2 bodies in your backyard who were the friends of his daughter, raping them in her presence, and now fallen victim himself to mental disease, although I could believe in a quick second that faking insanity is a far better out, living in a state hospital than on death row in a 6 x 8 cell 23 hours a day, forever until you walk down that last stretch to the table. But there is Manson in Califas, and as many more like this in every state. We just don't hear about these crimes as much. We are concentrating on our own little corner of the world, just like they are in theirs.

Scandi

No I'm in Southern California, although I have family in the Portland area.

My biggest interest, apart from the sorrow of all these missing kids, is that my ex bought a house in Klamath Falls and plans to move there, and my children will be visiting him on holidays and during the summer. He's not a very good dad and doesn't really pay attention.

Naturally, I don't want one of my kids popping up missing, and like I said there seems to be a lot of missing children and teens in Oregon. Maybe it's all the open area to hide bodies in.

Hi Anngelique,

Good to hear from you, a fellow Oregonian!

I've somehow got this feeling in my gut that this crime happened because someone lusting after women looking like Brooke, chose a college town environment to find his victims. There would be many to choose from, and most gals are flattered by seeing someone glance over and give a smile, having no suspicions at all they were being surveyed as potential candidates for a night they would never forget out behind the trees on a lonely stretch of road. They are young, gullible, serious students but love their off-study time being just girls.

I think that is one reason they have singled in on Kim. He fits all of these thoughts. And he has hung out at and walked beside many a gal at other universities north of Corvallis in the greater Portland area.

I think the police do know much more than they are letting on. Right off the bat, 5 days into the crime, there was a bit of sanity and release of tension. They learned some things and they fit together like a puzzle.

So Anngelique stay away from campus areas, and if you have daughters that are the right age, keep them away too. This outrageous thief in the daylight is still there, walking among you. It would scare the living daylight out of me if I was there. Or in Eugene. Same as Corvallis. Just watch your back all the time until this perv is caught. Promise?

To me theft by daylight gives a bold and stalking feeling. Serious business.

Scandi

just wondering if any of you all remember hearing of a prostitution ring in colorado that hosted mostly young girls, some as young as 13. I believe that there is an outfit somewhere in mid west that is the reason that alot of americas children turn up missing. I believe that there are people out shopping for the next victim to sell or trade on this so called sex market. to many perverts out there that makes *advertiser censored* videos of young girls and boys. if only the law enforcement could locate more of these outfits then maybe our children and loved ones would be a bit safer in there own back yards. the prostitution ring in colorado is probably just one of many in this country, I am glad the police busted this one, maybe if they looked deep enough into these people they might find out a whole lot. maybe even find some of the girls that have been missing in the usa for sometime now. since the age of the internet this problem will only become worse as time goes on, all *advertiser censored* sites should be banned from the internet, and those that harbor such websites should be jailed. of course there is that freedom of speech and all that other hipe, but the fcc regulates much of the internet since it is a communication system connected to telecommunications line. the above is just my own opionion and thoughts. :croc:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member