OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

I meant earlier.
Not on that fateful day/night.

It was hinted that this person was very insistent/belligerent even.
Threatening?

But,
it was also said here, that Dave put money in the bank.

So,
What would be the reason to come???
What was the point???

He said NO to the demand to share his part of inheritance.

That is what I understood reading the posts here.

I meant if somebody harassed me,
I would contact the authorities.

JMO

@Dotta, it’s basically “the Wild West” in some rural areas of Northern California and Oregon. Contacting the authorities for something like this isn’t worth the trouble.

JMO

at risk of getting made fun of for saying "my opinion".... i will say such as a disclaimer here, because i did not go and find and provide link for this post. if anything i say needs sources please tell me, i will find!!

i'd also like to say i have a sleep disorder as well as a neurological disorder that a lack of sleep makes worse+ say words right. this is something i find frustrating, ive never had to write this here i dont think because i have not been on this site when it is this bad, but sleep has been such a bad struggle this whole month really, that i wanted to say this so nobody worries for me - u will see me using more shortcuts than my normal use, etc. i have a dr appt tmrw :)

see, rush,i am deeply appreciating ur nuance (nuanced??) posts. catching myself up here has been such a trip, this is a very fascinating case that i pray gets solved ASAP because dave is so loved and he deserves justice!! personally i myself am lost at how dave being involved in a grow is sorta classified as just a mistake but others doing it is *always* labled cartel activity to some here in this thread.... i am honest trying to figure this out and understand context i may be missing here.... please if you understand something i do not id appreciate if you show me this. i also tend to notice that generally speaking, for the past 20 yrs i have followed such things [for my college degrees and for my personal interest], adults murdered in california and oregon when it comes to ilicit marijuana activity tend to be involved in that activity and not just a lil smoking here +there. i do not know about dl's drug use idk if i can be filled in?

thank you so much. i will be adding to your questions. thank you for saying what i am feeling and thinking, and others as well.... this is confusing. i know i am new to thread but i have very bad insomnia where i have read about this case and 2 other oregon cases since yesterday, i am NO expert on cold cases, far far far from it and am learning more from you all about daveevery page, every post. however i cannot make heads or tails of the ""big theory"" of this case.

i am trying to make sense out of what your opinions on case are.... doesnt make any sense to me given his case??

what does a wolf moon have to do with?

did something kill him because of a wolf moon?
sheriff? the ex-sheriff? troopers? local cops???

firewood seller??

angry rv guy?

ppl from the "town meetings"??

a "jilted lover"?

organized crime ($ on the table crime as you say)?
guy who wanted to buy land, and wife?
lady hiding in trailer or tent (sorry cannot remember which u said)??

cartels?

ex-wife and ex-wife's new "pedophile husband" as you like to word it, or their family?

someone with a vvendetta against dave or maybe dave sister or family??

are you trying to say it is RC? OR troy's mother? OR troy?

.... or was it dave's former boss' neighbor's cousin's boyfriend's ex-BIL? regarding the last one i do not say this to provide mockery or to be funny - i say this to provide you an example how convoluted you can come off to others, people here really care about david's case clearly and want to help, but the information from the verified insider leads anyone who pays it any mind on a wild goose chase over the river, through the valley, tripping through woods....

i am not the only person in the thread struggling to make sense of what your theory is, since "dave's family has been cleared" +there is "info the family knows that the public doesn't" i woulda thought your theory would be solid given how sure u sound

i am totally lost after reading many of your posts.... i have TRIED but cannot make heads or tails of what you're trying to say.... please provide enlightenment??

i think what a cop said here was just a cliche cops like to say and you are reading into it, no disrespect

i am saying if the person who was harassing dave about the money also had anything to do with his death, he may not have had time or ability to call the police, and i think this person would probably know that?? just my 2 cents.... sorry i shoulda worded it that way in the 1st place. and maybe they THOUGHT they could get $ but couldnt, didnt know about bank, or maybe it was about revenge not $ anymore.

my thoughts and opinions

@iusedtofloat I’m sorry insomnia is keeping you up, but it’s been helpful to the thread. I understand you perfectly, so it’s all good. I hope your doc has some answers/help for you tomorrow. Hugs!

Regarding Dave’s grow being a mistake vs others being cartels, there is a reasonable explanation for this. @Sleuth2010 has said Dave’s’ grow was “decades ago.“ If it was 20 years prior to his death, say in the 1980’s, the majority of grows were not the huge mega-grows we are seeing now, especially since legalization. They were family or individual grows, not by people who were involved in criminal activity in addition to illegally growing marijuana. It was a different environment. It was still dangerous, but mostly because people from the cities would come to steal the crop after it was harvested. I’ve talked about our experiences in Humboldt County CA before we left almost 40 years ago.

You are correct that adults murdered in CA and OR in connection with marijana were involved in the growing. According to RC, Dave did not smoke it or grow it. So I am very doubtful that a “cartel” was involved in his murder unless he had threatened to turn someone in. Or they came up the wrong driveway and murdered him by mistake (it has happened).

I agree with all the points you make.

JMO

did you ever read this person announced a visit? i have not seen but of course i only read some
A former member/Dave's friend knew about the announced visit.

David said he was waiting for this person.
It is all in this thread.

RC said the visit was “expected” by Dave. I took that to mean that he figured this person would just show up at some point. It was never said that the visit was “announced,” as in a sure thing.

JMO

.... or was it dave's former boss' neighbor's cousin's boyfriend's ex-BIL? regarding the last one i do not say this to provide mockery or to be funny - i say this to provide you an example how convoluted you can come off to others, people here really care about david's case clearly and want to help, but the information from the verified insider leads anyone who pays it any mind on a wild goose chase over the river, through the valley, tripping through woods....

i am not the only person in the thread struggling to make sense of what your theory is, since "dave's family has been cleared" +there is "info the family knows that the public doesn't" i woulda thought your theory would be solid given how sure u sound

i am totally lost after reading many of your posts.... i have TRIED but cannot make heads or tails of what you're trying to say.... please provide enlightenment??
BBM

My goodness we are quiet today! @iusedtofloat gave us a lot to think about as did @Rush4087 over the weekend. We’re all probably still chewing on those posts.

I zeroed in on a particular part of one of the posts by @iusedtofloat, quoted and bolded above. I happened to be reading on a totally different subject elsewhere this morning and ran across something that may apply here. It had to do with a political strategy of flooding the media with a lot of irrelevant and/or dubious information, thus distracting people from discerning the truth about an issue. A journalist said about this strategy: “This is not about persuasion: This is about disorientation.” I think this describes how many of us feel on the thread…disoriented. So much has been posted that just doesn’t make sense to us and leaves us lost.

As many of us have said many times, we want to help. So I would respectfully encourage our VI family member (and all of us) to focus on analyzing what we know, rather than flooding the thread with information and sayings that are disorienting rather than helping us discern the truth.

JMO

So, in the spirit of “posting what we know,” I’m reposting what I posted in response to a request by @Sleuth2010 for my point of view.
Can we add facts we know to this list, questions the facts bring to mind and the conclusions we can draw from these facts?

—Dave ran errands in town that day. (Who did he see? Any altercations? Was he expecting company?)
—There is a locked gate at the bottom of his rutted driveway. (Did his killer walk in? Was his gate locked or unlocked when firefighters arrived?)
—His body was found in a bedroom. (Was he in bed? asleep? Is that where an argument took place?)
—He was shot in the head. (Did he see it coming or not?)
—It’s likely Dave did not own a gun because of his felony conviction.
—He had smoke in his lungs, so he was alive when the fire started.
—Another fire was started later about 6 miles up the road, but reported first. (Was there evidence in that cabin?)
There’s probably more that I know, but that’s all that comes to mind right now.

With those facts in mind, here are my vague thoughts that are all over the place…
—His murder or the confrontation that led to his murder was planned. This was not random.
—Dave knew his killer and his killer was familiar with Dave’s place.
—It’s possible Dave expected this person and it was a friendly visit that turned ugly.
—If the visitor wasn’t expected they had the ability to approach stealthily, on foot, at a time Dave was likely to be asleep.
—For the killer to start the second fire 6 miles away, they had to have had a vehicle and fuel for the fire, or an accomplice.
—If the killer took a vehicle to Dave’s place, they were expected, in order for the gate to be unlocked. Otherwise, they left it on DIMR nearby and walked in.
—The motive could have been to silence him, get revenge or to steal something of value.

Last edited:
In previous posts, we discussed facts and our theories of Dave's ( and Troy's to a degree) murders.
If parts aren't easily understood, maybe try to distill it down. Murder of a beloved sibling and grief is a vicious thing and not easy, here, to discuss. Thanks @Lilibet
There are some additional points:
So, in the spirit of “posting what we know,” I’m reposting what I posted in response to a request by @Sleuth2010 for my point of view.
Can we add facts we know to this list, questions the facts bring to mind and the conclusions we can draw from these facts?

—Dave ran errands in town that day. (Who did he see? Any altercations? Was he expecting company?)
—There is a locked gate at the bottom of his rutted driveway. (Did his killer walk in? Was his gate locked or unlocked when firefighters arrived?)
—His body was found in a bedroom. (Was he in bed? asleep? Is that where an argument took place?)
—He was shot in the head. (Did he see it coming or not?)
—It’s likely Dave did not own a gun because of his felony conviction.
—He had smoke in his lungs, so he was alive when the fire started.
—Another fire was started later about 6 miles up the road, but reported first. (Was there evidence in that cabin?)
There’s probably more that I know, but that’s all that comes to mind right now.

With those facts in mind, here are my vague thoughts that are all over the place…
—His murder or the confrontation that led to his murder was planned. This was not random.
—Dave knew his killer and his killer was familiar with Dave’s place.
—It’s possible Dave expected this person and it was a friendly visit that turned ugly.
—If the visitor wasn’t expected they had the ability to approach stealthily, on foot, at a time Dave was likely to be asleep.
—For the killer to start the second fire 6 miles away, they had to have had a vehicle and fuel for the fire, or an accomplice.
—If the killer took a vehicle to Dave’s place, they were expected, in order for the gate to be unlocked. Otherwise, they left it on DIMR nearby and walked in.
—The motive could have been to silence him, get revenge or to steal something of value.

On the road where Dave lived, a relative ( or x relative? of Troy's lived also) maybe an x wife or some of their kin?

Other neighbors were implicated in having information and/or knowing about Dave, and what was going on with him. Not named. Nothing else known but (A daughter or granddaughter? was a student of dance, pictured in Lithia Park)

Dave had a relationship with a neighbor M.W. aka: SJWJ and it soured, badly. She was also involved, in some way, with the other man who worked the firewood business.

Dave was distressed over what was happening with the nearby property, they made an illegal gravel pit and were developing without proper permits.

Oka

Okay, let’s say the Sheriff is a bad guy.

Now who do you think killed Dave?

Jmo

We don't think it matters who we think committed these vile, heinous crimes.

What matters to us are truth and facts, which will lead to prosecution. They say killers are cowards... they can't take what they are due.

One extremely disturbing fact is that Sheriff Michael Winters set-up the Jackson County Sheriff Office, Command Base, that 9/4/08 morning at his own bff ( GDH ) house. Winters had a bedroom in the house, where he would often stay.
About ( less than) 10 miles from Dave's cabin.

This would be great !!!
Approaches are always different.
I sure hope not. Maybe a witness who has just been arrested for a different crime and is possibly facing a long prison sentence will attempt to bargain with investigators/prosecutors

I still think the deaths were connected to organized crime.

And were commited as a warning to others.

JMO

I still think the deaths were connected to organized crime.

And were commited as a warning to others.

JMO
Can you expand on this a bit more? Are you meaning the cartels? Do you think Dave was an informant?

I'm aware the cartel is present in Josephine Co., just had not heard of anything in Jackson Co.

Can you expand on this a bit more? Are you meaning the cartels? Do you think Dave was an informant?

I'm aware the cartel is present in Josephine Co., just had not heard of anything in Jackson Co.
Just a manner of death.
Execution style - head shots for both men.
And fires - to confuse things and sow terror.

JMO

@Sleuth2010, you say you have tried to share facts and truth..

Could you, in very specific terms, with names or links or sources of info or other evidence, please expound upon and clarify, your statement (above):

“They even had a meeting about him at The Lindsay Ranch on 9/3/2008. BMcN and his wife (JPe’) were trying to buy it…along-side with Lily Glen Horse Corral Government Lease.”

Who had a meeting?
A meeting about Dave?
Who called or organized the meeting?
Who attended the meeting?
Was Dave there?
How do you know about this meeting? (or how did you come to learn about this meeting?).
How do you know what the meeting was about?
How do you know who was in attendance?
How do you know what “they” were trying to do?

You suggested that BMcN and his wife were trying to buy “it”
Specifically, what is “it”?
Dave’s property?
Lindsay Ranch?
One or both, plus Lily Glen?
“… along-side with Lily Glen Horse Corral Government Lease”?
Were they trying to buy the Horse Corral?
The government lease? The ranch? Dave’s property?
Why do you think they were trying to do whatever you think they were trying to do?

And what would any of the above have to do with Dave’s murder overnight?

Please be very specific and provide facts or sources (you can use initials) for your information. And please, no speaking about the wind or how love triumphs over all. Nothing abstract. Only facts that can be supported that will help others on WS help solve the case. We all have the same desire - to find out who murdered Dave Lewis and bring them to justice.

Thanks very much in advance.

All jmo
Good litany of questions. However,

1.) Best answered by law enforcement

2.) Really best answered by Hyatt Lake guys

3.) Most knowledgeable best answered by:

3a.) JPte'
3b.) McN Family / Brookings Oregon
3c.) owners of Campers Cove, Ashland Or.,
3d.) owners of Hyatt Lake "RV" camp spots
3e.) Klamath Falls McN. / MaHr

Hope this helps and thank you for your interest in solving Dave's troubling murder and heinous bodyburning

IMO MOO OMO

/////

Good litany of questions. However,

1.) Best answered by law enforcement

2.) Really best answered by Hyatt Lake guys

3.) Most knowledgeable best answered by:

3a.) JPte'
3b.) McN Family / Brookings Oregon
3c.) owners of Campers Cove, Ashland Or.,
3d.) owners of Hyatt Lake "RV" camp spots
3e.) Klamath Falls McN. / MaHr

Hope this helps and thank you for your interest in solving Dave's troubling murder and heinous bodyburning

IMO MOO OMO

/////

I assume you’ve numbered your answers in the order @Rush4087 listed them. You’ve omitted answers to these questions:
Was Dave there?
How do you know about this meeting? (or how did you come to learn about this meeting?).
How do you know what the meeting was about?
How do you know who was in attendance?
How do you know what “they” were trying to do?
I realize you don’t have to answer any questions, but your previous statements and these questions make me wonder if you were at this meeting or have received information directly from someone at the meeting. If the latter, why would they give you this information? You’ve used it to sow suspicion about these people, so it seems to me they would have known it could implicate them in a family member’s eyes.

JMO

I assume you’ve numbered your answers in the order @Rush4087 listed them. You’ve omitted answers to these questions:

I realize you don’t have to answer any questions, but your previous statements and these questions make me wonder if you were at this meeting or have received information directly from someone at the meeting. If the latter, why would they give you this information? You’ve used it to sow suspicion about these people, so it seems to me they would have known it could implicate them in a family member’s eyes.

JMO

As an active investigation is on-going, these questions are better left to asking law enforcement and/or those who have knowledge of attending the meeting. Basically, geographically, this meeting-property, is adjacent to, or close to, the Keno Cabin ( which was arsoned) 1st call out.

Not to sow suspicion, but to share what facts have been revealed, to us, as truthful.

We / I was not at this meeting ( wasn't in Oregon at the time) but, in the course of information being shared, this came to be a fact.

The area is a very small community. Dave knew everyone who drove up and down the only road to access Ashland ( Dead Indian Memorial Road)
thus his nickname, " keeper of the mountain"

( Interestingly, someone kept ripping down the HELP SOLVE THIS CRIME, flyers, on the road and in town.Who would do something like that?
We doubt the drug cartels ??? )

Justice4FISHHOOK, because he could catch a fish, when no one else could, or catch wherever he dropped a line.

IMO MOO OMO

72A7A2BD-9CA4-40B2-B5E7-1BBB349DDDE2.jpeg

Hope this helps in researching news articles:

Historic editions of many Southern Oregon newspapers are available online in the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program.

Thanks to the University of Oregon Library

///

I'm
The only “connection“ I can think of between Dave’s and Troy’s murders is a possible motive to keep them from talking about something they knew. I don’t mean that they both knew the same thing or that it was the same murderer. But both murders seem to have required stealth and focus to accomplish a particular purpose. Troy was asleep in a hidden sleeping bag. (I’d like to know who found him.) Both were shot in the head, which indicates to me that Dave was also possibly asleep.
If this article from 9/4/08 is accurate, Dave was killed in his bedroom...asleep?
“The second [fire] occurred at a home about six miles away, where the body of a man was found in one of the bedrooms.”
I'm local and briefly familiar with Dave and Troy. I only just became aware both were killed on the same night. That in itself seems extraordinary for Jackson Co.,.wouldn't you agree? Slueth mentioned that Troy had family located.close to Dave's cabin. Does the solution link back to Troy?

I'm

I'm local and briefly familiar with Dave and Troy. I only just became aware both were killed on the same night. That in itself seems extraordinary for Jackson Co.,.wouldn't you agree? Slueth mentioned that Troy had family located.close to Dave's cabin. Does the solution link back to Troy?

Hi @Postafish. They weren’t actually killed on the same night, although some news reports make it sound like it. Troy was killed a couple of days before Dave, and his body was found the same day as Dave’s murder.

Sleuth saying that Troy had family located near Dave’s cabin is the first I’ve heard that and the first Sleuth has mentioned it AFAIK. I’d like to know why that information hasn’t been front and center when we’ve discussed a possible connection between the two murders.

JMO

Hi @Postafish. They weren’t actually killed on the same night, although some news reports make it sound like it. Troy was killed a couple of days before Dave, and his body was found the same day as Dave’s murder.

Sleuth saying that Troy had family located near Dave’s cabin is the first I’ve heard that and the first Sleuth has mentioned it AFAIK. I’d like to know why that information hasn’t been front and center when we’ve discussed a possible connection between the two murders.

JMO
hi @Lilibet

Maybe Troy's sleuths know more than we do?

Information gets shared, i guess, as times change, or people realize what happened and where.
No one had ever mentioned that Troy lived in the Rogue Valley, as a married man.

And no one seems to know for sure the timelines of the murders. That's very / extremely important to us.
Phone service in the mountains 2008 was non existent for some cell phones... not all, but some. So no communication doesn't mean that time of death was established.

Still very bothered about the
David Lewis flyers being ripped down.
That's just so horrible... who would do that, but more so, why ?

IMO MOO JMO

Honestly @Gemmie, the whole thing is like one of the Saturday night “Film Noir” B movies we watch on Turner Classic TV. So your hired-killer scenario is not impossible. If it’s all the same person, they shot Troy Carney (for an unknown reason), then arrived at Dave’s (marked with yellow tape) where they shot him and attempted to cover up his murder by burning down his house (imitating Ed Krahel’s murder in Ashland several years earlier), and then moved on up the road to set fire to a cabin owned at the time by someone named Lewis (unrelated to Dave). As if that wasn’t enough, in our movie, this person returns and sets fire to Troy Carney’s campsite the day of Dave’s memorial! And the motive is never made clear. Instead, a hodgepodge of motives are presented on a confusing website! I’m not sure this movie plot would fly in Hollywood, but you never know.

Not to make light of these events, but we need Sherlock Holmes. I think he would quickly discern that Troy’s murder, the two extra fires and the confusing website are red herrings to distract and divert attention from Dave’s murderer. So far, it‘s been successful. But how would Holmes hone in on Dave’s killer(s) and their motive? Probably a small and seemingly insignificant clue holds the answer. I hope the real-life detectives can discover it.

JMO

What if the Keno Cabin fire was set after Dave was killed ? He was already murdered, as was Troy, but the deaths very close in timeline?

We can unequivocally say Dave's website, had nothing to do with these murders. Not as a distraction or crazy... or redherring nonsense. Why couldn't Dave's website morph into a justice website? Children were being harmed and molested in the town. Internet was being hacked. There were unlawful actions being taken in the state. Many were thankful they had a place to reach-out and tell their truths. Speaking truth for victims. A good thing.

For Dave, a hired killer and/or local men ? We think more than one. We think firefighters saw and heard information... were they ever interviewed?

Posts of Mrs.Lewis' death / suicide, ws here, was uncalled for and in veryvpoor style. Dave's mom, loved her son, extremely, and didn't like what had happened in his own personal life, with who his children were being raised by. (Neither by mother or step parent.) Both Dave's parents were very outspoken about this bad situation ( but, that's what happened) and supported his court effort to gain custody. And to clear any negative concepts of Dave, because he (stupidly) grew pot, on Federal land, which he forever regretted. As the local in town said,
" He was a great guy." David Lewis was a good man. His family misses him terribly. He was an Irish ☘️ twin.

It is unfortunate that more information isn't being shared about why Troy was in town... that would clearly have impact and vigor on solving these horrible crimes.

We are all-for circumstantial evidence to be gathered and killers ( and the people in their orbit who covered up) to be prosecuted.

Dave lived peacefully for nearly 25 years... and then was murdered and body burned!!!

Unfathomable !!! Sickening! Killers are free and we honestly believe " locals" have information and knowledge.

The FBI are here for David Grubbs' cold case.

Please: Hope and pray ( and work ) towards arrests in Dave and Troy Carney's murder.

TY @Lilibet

imo moo omo

It suddenly occurred to me as I read this sentence…
—Do we know that the murderer necessarily arrived at Dave’s property in the middle of the night?
—Just because the fire was discovered in the early morning hours doesn‘t mean that Dave was killed then, does it?
—Could this be someone who paid Dave a seemingly or even actually benign visit earlier in the afternoon or evening.
—Was the person already there when Dave arrived home from Ashland?
—Was Dave expecting them?
—Did they arrive on foot, bypassing the driveway somehow if they didn’t want to be seen or simply out of convenience?
—Do we know for sure that murder was the intent of the visit?
—Could Dave’s murder have been unplanned?
—Did something escalate during the visit?
—It could have taken some time after the murder to decide to set the fire and gather the fuel on the property to accomplish it, making sure it was burning well before leaving.

—The second fire (but the first one discovered) doesn’t make sense to me, except to delay the discovery of the fire at Dave’s long enough for Dave’s cabin to burn down completely.
—The person setting the second fire would need to have known that the second cabin, which was fairly close to the road, was unoccupied IMO.
—So that implies to me that it was someone with local knowledge. After all, it was a vacation cabin and Labor Day weekend.
—I find it interesting that the cabin was owned at the time by someone named Lewis.
—Was that deliberate or a simple twist of fate?

Just some thoughts in the middle of the night.

It has never been known where Dave was killed?

Could it have been at the Keno cabin? Did a fight start there ?

Never have thought Troy was sleeping...forensically ( forgive this) but if shot in the head, a criminal justice professor, told us, someone could not establish that. What did Troy's cell phone records reveal ?
Were the nearby campers involved ? Why does his family feel these crimes will never be solved. When we have always felt just the opposite?

Dave had no cell phone. But, allegedly, he did receive a call that night from Fire Station 5 ( Talent Oregon) about a CPR class or something?
Someone called him, late, which we find odd.
It took awhile for the big water trucks to climb the hill... he was fully engulfed when the firefighters arrived. This whole situation is unbelievable. Dave was a dignified man. He stood up for what was right and good. That was a harsh reality for some. He was outspoken and clear about what bothered him.

Hyatt Lake has something to do with all of this.
Take a wider look ( maybe not murder) but other illegal goings-on. The neighbors knew it and sued to stop the RV ( scofflaw) "resort."

imo moo omo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back