OR OR - Mark Bosworth, 54, Riddle, 16 Sep 2011 - Cycle Oregon volunteer

Photos of Mark

• mark_lawrence_bosworth_1.jpg
  • mark_lawrence_bosworth_2.jpg
  • mark_lawrence_bosworth_3.jpg
  • mark_lawrence_bosworth_7.jpg
  • mark_lawrence_bosworth_11.jpg

<<“In July of 2017, we received a call from a citizen, who called and said they found a backpack. There were items in the bag that we knew Mark had, and there were also things in there that stated they belonged to Mark,” O’Dell said.

“There was a debit card, a bank card with his name on it, and so we were able to look at that and also we knew he had an iPad, and that iPad was found in the bag as well.”

That debit card has not been used since 2011, he said.

Sgt. O’Dell said the woman actually found the backpack months before she turned it in. He wouldn’t say why there was a delay in reporting what she found, citing the active case.

“Based on the information we have, we believe that Mark Bosworth has died,” O’Dell said. >>

Gee, that sounds like a pretty big lead or clue in the case, where was that backpack found and why didn't the woman turn it in right away!
The interesting thing about that backpack....she seems not to have disturbed the items. She didn't use them, evidently.

Maybe she found it, and became incarcerated, and that accounts for the delay? And that's why LE doesn't really want to talk about it.

I speculate he went missing in the area of the encampment. Without his bike, he wasn't going to go far, especially if his brain was dying.

I know this area extremely well. To give you a flavor, Riddle's beauty parlor was called the Whack and Yack.

This link, posted by @dreamweaver back in September 2011 caught my eye for a couple of reasons I’ve bolded in the quote below. Some years ago, in my Southern Oregon town, a woman with dementia who had just moved into an assisted living facility (not secure memory care), left in the early morning and walked along the four-lane state highway for over a mile until she reached the bike path. It was a very hot weekend. Sadly, she was found in the evening tangled in the thick blackberry bushes bordering the path and creek, deceased.

Mark could have strayed into the brush and brambles mentioned below and become trapped as he struggled to escape. If he lost consciousness, and fell so that they covered him, he could have died there unseen. Whether cadaver dogs were used in that area I don’t know. But as the man quoted said “You could easily miss someone.” Such a tragedy.

Cow Creek, a lazy wide stream that joins the South fork of the Umpqua River east of town, is just a few yards south of the Riddle High School football field where 2,000-plus Cycle Oregon riders and volunteers camped Friday night.

Although a lot of the brush and brambles on the creek's north side were cut in anticipation of the riders' arrival, it is still thick on the opposite shore and in each direction from the high school.

As he drove along the stream, Mitchell said he and some other volunteers have searched along several miles of the creek. His routine Monday was the same as the previous two days: Drive the quad awhile, stop and turn off the engine, walk some, listen, repeat. The first day he went with two search dogs. Monday, it was pretty much him alone.

"You could easily miss someone," Mitchell said.

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back