GUILTY OR - Yashanee Vaughn, 14, Portland, 19 March 2011

scandi, FWIW, there was discussion & clarification by the Oregonian early on... both spellings are used.

Remains found.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/07/portland_police_search_rocky_b.html

Update: About 1 p.m. Friday, TV helicopter footage showed that searchers have put up a tent near the road. Just before 2 p.m., Vaughn's mother, grandmother and other relatives have arrived at the scene. A crisis response officer and the district attorney's victims advocate are with them.

Update: Remains have been found, and they are believed to be Vaughn's. Her family has left the site.

RIP Yashanee.

Please bring peace to our neighborhood and city now. Enough is enough.

R.I.P. Sweet girl. Prayers for the family as they are now able to properly bury their beautiful daughter.

scandi, FWIW, there was discussion & clarification by the Oregonian early on... both spellings are used.

Thanks PDX, Resting on the couch just now I heard the news that her remains were found today. I feel so sad, kind of lost inside that someone could do this to a person and let her body lie out there night and day all of this time without telling anyone where she was. God Bless her and I am thankful her family can now put her to rest. xox

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/07/parrish_bennette_jr_gives_up_l.html

Parrish Bennette Jr. reveals Rocky Butte location of body thought to be Yashanee Vaughn
Published: Friday, July 15, 2011, 7:56 PM Updated: Friday, July 15, 2011, 8:12 PM

Nearly four months to the day that Yashanee Vaughn disappeared, Portland police Friday discovered human remains on Rocky Butte, presumably belonging to the 14-year-old girl after her accused killer Parrish Bennette Jr. gave up the hiding spot.

..................snip.....................................

district attorney's office Friday confirmed that Bennette, through his lawyers, provided the information that led police to the human remains. They asserted that no deal was offered to the 16-year-old defendant.

"No promises or agreements of any kind were made in connection with the provision of this information," according to a statement by the district attorney's office.

..................................snip...............................

The location is not more than half a mile from the Northeast Russell Street home where police say Bennette beat and shot Vaughn in his bedroom March 19. Bennette faces first-degree murder with a firearm and first-degree manslaughter with a firearm.

"We all know why we're here," said Michelle Bart, the Vaughn family spokeswoman. "And we know what the conclusion is going to be. In the end, Yashanee will be laid to rest properly."

Bart thanked police, prosecutors and the mayor's office for working to get the family answers.

Police find remains on Rocky Butte

A daylong effort uncovers human remains believed to be those of missing teen, Yashanee Vaughn. Acting chief Larry O'Dea says the remains have not been identified, but are almost certainly those of Vaughn.

The family actually started hearing inklings on Thursday that Bennette had finally given up the location of Vaughn's body, after Bennette had made a phone call to a friend and word spread on the street..............

...........................snip........................................

At the evening vigil Louis thanked the crowd for their support and said she was glad that her worries were over. "Nobody can really know what I am going through," she said. "its like somebody ripped a hole out of my chest. "

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/07/parrish_bennette_jr_gives_up_l.html

Rest in peace Yashanee.
What a tragical story all around. Such a waste.

From an old link:
The father's girlfriend also came to the house that night about 8 p.m. The father told police that he noticed his son going down and up the stairs, in and out of his room and outside several times. He also detected a strong odor of bleach coming from his son's room, and a bottle of bleach in his son's room, but Bennette Sr. told police he never went inside, Slater said.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/06/blood_spatter_indicates_yashan.html

Wonder if the father was afraid to ask, due to past experiences with him. I would definitely inquire if I thought my teens were bleaching something in secrecy.

I don't even understand why she was ever listed as a runaway !
What a beauty!!!
RIP little girl

Heartbreaking

They've suspected him for some time correct? (trying to remember the details of the case, but don't have time right now to read back)

They've suspected him for some time correct? (trying to remember the details of the case, but don't have time right now to read back)

Yes they have. They said they knew he killed her but didn't know where he placed her remains. :(

Yes they have. They said they knew he killed her but didn't know where he placed her remains. :(

It has been damp here all day, a drizzle of rain with a light wisp of wind, so different from yesterday's heat. To me it feels like a calming change hopefully to give earth a new chance.

Do you know if they did any searches in the area of his home early on when they first suspected him? I continue to compile statistics on these, so it might help in the future.

I am so relieved for her family, her mother has been breaking my heart...

I commend Parrish's father for turning his son in. I will always commend a family that does the right thing with a child that does something wrong. It must be very difficult for him and for his fiance as well. As with "other" well known cases, too many parents justify, pacify, pander, and even enable their children - even when they KNOW that their child may be involved with something horrible.

My heart is so broken for her family; but having known for some time that the blood lost meant that she was likely dead, it must be comforting for them to properly bury this beautiful girl.

My ultimate wish is that LE would take a close look at their procedures regarding their classification of missing teenagers. Not ALL teenagers runaway! Precious time is wasted in many cases; and cruicial evidence can be lost.

Do you know if they did any searches in the area of his home early on when they first suspected him? I continue to compile statistics on these, so it might help in the future.

Yes. They searched Rocky Butte extensively when they first discovered evidence of her death. They searched at least two days with lots of trained volunteers.

Apparently she was buried in heavy shrubbery of some sort (probably blackberry brambles) and that is why it was so hard to find her.

Also, the reason the police categorized her as a runaway is her family's own fault. She had been involved in an altercation and assault at the local Mall a few weeks before she went missing. Police were trying to catch up with her to question her, but her mother told them she had no idea where the girl was and hadn't see her, etc. in an effort to hide her from the police.

http://www.portlandonline.com/police/pbnotify.cfm?action=ViewContent&content_id=2338

The Oregon State Medical Examiner has made a positive identification by DNA test of the body recovered on Rocky Butte as Yashanee Vaughn. The manner and cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head.
Our thanks thanks go to the Multnomah County Medical Examiner for their work in this case, the Oregon State Police Crime Lab for their work in the recovery on the body and the Multnomah County District Attorneys Office.

There is no additional information at this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back