PA PA - Lower Providence, BlkFem 60-75, 402UFPA, Crocheted Slippers, dress, smock, Feb'74

I'm slippin'. Somehow I missed a NamUs update from July 27, 2022. UID is now classified as Black/African American and the Lewis Trowbridge recon is no longer on the case report.

Alerting mods to change race in thread title.
Wait? What? How did that happen? How did they just figure this out? Omg .. and this is why people don’t get identified because we don’t know who we are looking for. Omg.. how did they just figure this out? Omg.. ugh

And noooo haha CCJD… your still on the ball!!!!

Wait? What? How did that happen? How did they just figure this out? Omg .. and this is why people don’t get identified because we don’t know who we are looking for. Omg.. how did they just figure this out? Omg.. ugh

And noooo haha CCJD… your still on the ball!!!!
I was really surprised. I had to dig out the old emails from 18 years ago - communications between PSP and I, looked over my notes in the paper file I keep, all the old articles - nothing to indicate she wasn't white.

Sure, maybe the (former) Montco Coroner and Philly M.E. might have missed it, but the lady was examined by (the late) Wilton Krogman, the renown forensic anthropologist who had been in the field for 30+ years when the lady was found. The same Krogman who showed Frank Bender how to use measurements of the skull to "deduce facial structure". (see attached snippet from a story about Anna Duval, with Krogman's first name spelled wrong)

So I was surprised. I thought of you immediately. Knew this would throw you for a loop.

I think I'll take this as a sign that they've dusted the cobwebs off this lady's case and are taking another look. Maybe going the genetic genealogy route (fingers crossed). In the meantime, it's back to the drawing board.

Attachments

• Frank Bender - Wilton Krogman.JPG
    Frank Bender - Wilton Krogman.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 3
I found this which might give a bit more about how she died but it still does not give you any idea on who she may be.

Woman a Jane Doe for 30 years

MATT COUGHLIN
10/15/2004

EDITORS NOTE: The Cold Case series was conceived by Matt Coughlin former police reporter at The Reporter who wrote this story before he left.

Two brothers and a sister were sledding near Old Baptist Road in Lower Providence on Feb. 9 1974 when they came upon a gruesome discovery.

William Wood then 11 climbed down an embankment by the Skippack Creek at about 1 p.m. and there under a fallen tree he saw a human skull.

Williams brother Joe 12 and sister Joanne 14 climbed down and helped William retrieve the skull and the three then ran home and showed their father who called police.

I saw the skull under the log William later told police. My brother and sister helped me get it out and we carried it home.

Police eventually found the body of an elderly white female whose foot was detached.

More than 30 years later police are still investigating who that skull belonged to and how the woman died.

When police investigated the scene in 1974 they found the skeletal remains of a white woman who was between 65 and 75 years old.

Since the discovery Pennsylvania State Police and Lower Providence Police have had multiple experts examine the remains to give them further clues about the skeletal remains.

Investigators placed Jane Does time of death in mid-December 1973.

Forensic anthropologists and the coroner have estimated she was between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall. Examiners also told police the woman was overweight and had severe arthritis in her back and knees.

Jane Does left foot was found in a Marvel Bread plastic bag detached from the leg still wearing a purple slipper that appeared to have been handmade.

The victim was wearing a light-colored knit dress and an orange smock or housecoat with small light-colored floral designs on it.

©Reporter online.com 2005

monkalup - January 5, 2007 03:12 AM (GMT)

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/...opic=8150&st=0&
I found this which might give a bit more about how she died but it still does not give you any idea on who she may be. Her remains were found in the creek bed. maybe she went walking at the creek and that is why she had the plastic bags on her feet. and then a tree fell on her??
As for the girdle and stockings and housecoat it was totally normal for that generation to wear the girdle and stockings under their housecoats. My mother did until she was about 85 every single day.. when she stopped she complained it did not feel right but it had become too much for her.

Woman a Jane Doe for 30 years

MATT COUGHLIN
10/15/2004

EDITORS NOTE: The Cold Case series was conceived by Matt Coughlin former police reporter at The Reporter who wrote this story before he left.

Two brothers and a sister were sledding near Old Baptist Road in Lower Providence on Feb. 9 1974 when they came upon a gruesome discovery.

William Wood then 11 climbed down an embankment by the Skippack Creek at about 1 p.m. and there under a fallen tree he saw a human skull.

Williams brother Joe 12 and sister Joanne 14 climbed down and helped William retrieve the skull and the three then ran home and showed their father who called police.

I saw the skull under the log William later told police. My brother and sister helped me get it out and we carried it home.

Police eventually found the body of an elderly white female whose foot was detached.

More than 30 years later police are still investigating who that skull belonged to and how the woman died.

When police investigated the scene in 1974 they found the skeletal remains of a white woman who was between 65 and 75 years old.

Since the discovery Pennsylvania State Police and Lower Providence Police have had multiple experts examine the remains to give them further clues about the skeletal remains.

Investigators placed Jane Does time of death in mid-December 1973.

Forensic anthropologists and the coroner have estimated she was between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall. Examiners also told police the woman was overweight and had severe arthritis in her back and knees.

Jane Does left foot was found in a Marvel Bread plastic bag detached from the leg still wearing a purple slipper that appeared to have been handmade.

The victim was wearing a light-colored knit dress and an orange smock or housecoat with small light-colored floral designs on it.

©Reporter online.com 2005
monkalup - January 5, 2007 03:12 AM (GMT)
http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/...opic=8150&st=0&

Title: PAF740209 February 9, 1974
Description: Montgomery Co.

oldies4mari2004 - July 24, 2006 05:24 AM (GMT)

402UFPA

Unidentified White Female
The victim was discovered on February 9, 1974 Near Old Baptist Road in Lower Providence Twp, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Estimated Date of Death: Mid-December 1973
Skeletal Remains
Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 65 - 75 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'10"
Distinguishing Characteristics: An anthropometric study of the remains revealed that the victim had a short neck and bowed back due to an arthritic condition.
Clothing: Remains were clothed in a corset, bra, girdle, light-colored knit dress, smock (orange in color with light-colored flower designs), stockings and hand-crocheted purple slippers.
Fingerprints: Not available

Case History
On February 9, 1974 the Pennsylvania State Police recovered the skeletal remains of a white female from the Skippack Creek bed near Old Baptist Road, Lower Providence Township, PA.
The victims foot, which was detached from the leg, was found in a Marvel Enriched Bread plastic bag.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Lower Providence Township Police Department
Detective Terrence Kennedy
610-539-5900
Or
Pennsylvania State Police
Skippack Station
Corporal David J Milligan 610-584-1250
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
NCIC Number: U-581176774
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
The Reporter
Pennsylvania State Police Skippack Station
Lower Providence Police Department
CCJD.. you are not kidding this is throwing me for a loop! Ha! Omg!!
I could imagine where your head is at .. you have been looking at this for the last 18 years OMG! ( oh on this new websleuths I can’t find the little faces anymore. I want to post the horrified little blue face!! ) That’s how I feel right now.. haha

Ok I am reposting this article from 2004 which I had posted back in 2016.

It mentions the lady being white and mentions coroner anthropologist and everybody and their mother examining the remains and Not One person caught that this woman was not white???
Why Iam I having a bit of a hard time processing this one??

Below is a couple of quotes from the article.

“When police investigated the scene in 1974 they found the skeletal remains of a white woman who was between 65 and 75 years old.”

Since the discovery Pennsylvania State Police and Lower Providence Police have had multiple experts examine the remains to give them further clues about the skeletal remains.”

Last edited:
I was really surprised. I had to dig out the old emails from 18 years ago - communications between PSP and I, looked over my notes in the paper file I keep, all the old articles - nothing to indicate she wasn't white.

Sure, maybe the (former) Montco Coroner and Philly M.E. might have missed it, but the lady was examined by (the late) Wilton Krogman, the renown forensic anthropologist who had been in the field for 30+ years when the lady was found. The same Krogman who showed Frank Bender how to use measurements of the skull to "deduce facial structure". (see attached snippet from a story about Anna Duval, with Krogman's first name spelled wrong)

So I was surprised. I thought of you immediately. Knew this would throw you for a loop.

I think I'll take this as a sign that they've dusted the cobwebs off this lady's case and are taking another look. Maybe going the genetic genealogy route (fingers crossed). In the meantime, it's back to the drawing board.
I guess your right they are going the genetic genealogy route. I still think is just so odd.

Unless some higher up has found out that we have a potential match with the mugshot lady and if we do find out her name and indeed it’s the bread bag lady, it may open a big can of worms with more people involved that are still alive. So they are all of a sudden changing it to black/African American so she remained unidentified ?! Just a thought…

Ok Krogman is gone but what about the Dr.Hoffa guy that is mentioned in the same article.. is he still alive?… If so Can he be contacted so he can tell us where he came up that she was a white lady?
OMg CCJD Can you tell I am having a hard time with this! Haha

Attachments

• CD67938F-A11F-4231-928D-32BA2FAAB559.jpeg
    CD67938F-A11F-4231-928D-32BA2FAAB559.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 3

Woman found along road in Lower Providence

Feb. 9, 1974: The body of a white female approximately 60 to75-years old was found along an unidentified road. Authorities estimated she had been dead for three months. She was 5-feet-2-inches tall and weighed about 170 pounds. She had evidence of arthritis in her back and knees and new fractures to her left forearm. Her death was listed as a murder in newspaper stories. She was found wearing a corset, bra, girdle, a housecoat with orange and light flower designs, she had safety pins in her right side pocket, stockings, a light-colored knit dress, purple hand-crocheted slippers inside plastic bags labeled "Marvel Enriched Bread"

On February 9, 1974 the remains of this unknown woman were found in Lower Providence Township. An investigation revealed she had been murdered about 3 months prior. Her identify remains unknown

CCJD.. you are not kidding this is throwing me for a loop! Ha! Omg!!
I could imagine where your head is at .. you have been looking at this for the last 18 years OMG! ( oh on this new websleuths I can’t find the little faces anymore. I want to post the horrified little blue face!! ) That’s how I feel right now.. haha

Ok I am reposting this article from 2004 which I had posted back in 2016.

It mentions the lady being white and mentions coroner anthropologist and everybody and their mother examining the remains and Not One person caught that this woman was not white???
Why Iam I having a bit of a hard time processing this one??

Below is a couple of quotes from the article.

“When police investigated the scene in 1974 they found the skeletal remains of a white woman who was between 65 and 75 years old.”

Since the discovery Pennsylvania State Police and Lower Providence Police have had multiple experts examine the remains to give them further clues about the skeletal remains.”

There arw plenty of people whose skeletal remains are ethnically ambigous and do not fit any of the average measurements for their ethnicity. Plenty of black people have been mislabeled as white by anthropology and vice versa. Same for Asians and Latinos (who are anyway a huge genetic melting pot).

So i really hope it is based on new genetic research. Grams needs her name back - i love her, her housecoat, slippers and the safety pins in her pocket. She deserves justice and love.

I was so confused on this one so I just went with it. Thanks for pointing it out
OMg yes I was totally confused also. I saw the article just now and it was dated Jan 17, 2023… I said to myself what?! Now they changed her back?

There arw plenty of people whose skeletal remains are ethnically ambigous and do not fit any of the average measurements for their ethnicity. Plenty of black people have been mislabeled as white by anthropology and vice versa. Same for Asians and Latinos (who are anyway a huge genetic melting pot).

So i really hope it is based on new genetic research. Grams needs her name back - i love her, her housecoat, slippers and the safety pins in her pocket. She deserves justice and love.
Yes she does deserve justice. I love this little old lady in her floral house dress!! Her attire down to the girdle reminded me of my mom. This lady has always held a soft spot in my heart. I pray one day they can get her name back!!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back