PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

If they used a credit/debit card at the store, it wouldn't be a problem figuring out who they are. If it is known what make, model, color of vehicle they were driving can be handy in back tracking to possibly get a plate from a traffic camera if there are any nearby.

There is an update at the top of the article that LE was able to identify them.

"Update: These potential witnesses have been identified."

"The preliminary hearing for the man accused of killing a pregnant Amish woman is continuing this afternoon in Crawford County Court.

More than 10 witnesses already have been called on the preliminary hearing for Shawn Cranston, 52, of Corry.

Cranston is charged by Pennsylvania State Police with the alleged Feb. 26 murder of Rebekah Byler, 23, and her unborn baby at the Byler home near Spartansburg."

This is a breaking news story and will be updated when details become available.

Case Advances to (Upper) Court of Common Pleas
Awaiting (Upper) Court Date & Docket Number*

Defendant:
Shawn Christopher Cranston, M/52

Decedents:
Rebekah A. Byler, F/23
UnBorn Female Baby -
[Due May 2024]

Associated Press:

*Check-Back:
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch
[ Similar to: CP-20-CR-0000___-2024 ]

Rebekah Byler - Shawn Cranston - Google Search

Change of Venue = [VENN'-you] = Jurors Selected from, & Trial Held Outside of Crawford County
CP = (Upper) Court of Common Pleas
DA = District Attorney
"English" = Amish label for all-other non-Amish people
F = Felony-Grade Crime
F/23 = Female / Age 23
FWIW = For What It's Worth
Gestation = About 40 Weeks from Conception-to-Delivery
i.e. = id est = that-is
IMO = In My Opinion
IPP = Intermediate Punishment Program
Jeep™ = A Popular Sport Utility Vehicle
JMO = Just My Opinion
LE = Law Enforcement
LWOP = Life With-Out Parole
M = Misdemeanor-Grade Offense
M/52 = Male / Age 52
MDJ = (Lower) Magistrial District Judge Court
MOO = My Own Opinion
OMO = Only My Opinion
PD = Public Defender
PSP = Pennsylvania State Police - Incident 24-255133
R.I.P. = Rest In Peace - Condolences
S = Summary-Grade Citation
SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle
W/N/F 23 = White/Non-Hispanic/Female - 23 Years Old
W/N/M 52 = White/Non-Hispanic/Male - 52 Years Old

Our Salute to Law Enforcement for Their Rapid Results.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there was even a preliminary hearing. I was a court clerk in PA for almost 20 years & holding an actual prelim was very rare. Most were waived to Common Pleas (defendant waived their right to prelim).

Even for something this heinous. ACTUALLY, even more so in cases like this. Cases this big are ALWAYS going to be held over. I have seen everything from homicide to CSAM to assault cases, & most always they are waived regardless of the charges because 1. At a preliminary hearing, the state doesn't have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. 99.9% of cases get held over to Common Pleas Court. So most defense attorneys don't waste the time arguing anything because 2. They don't want to show their hand knowing full well that the case IS NOT going to be dismissed. And 3. Most defense attorneys are not heartless human beings & they don't want to subject the witnesses to having to testify & relive these events more than once. Does he have a Public Defender? If he does, then that makes #3 even more true.

Byler, 24, said he and his wife, 23-year-old Rebekah, were already in bed when a vehicle pulled onto their Fish Flats Road property with its lights off, and he heard someone running into the door. Byler said he grabbed his flashlight and went to see what the person wanted, and encountered a man who said he wanted to buy Byler's house.

The man said he would be back the next day, but he never showed up, Byler said.

When asked in a Crawford County courtroom Friday afternoon if he saw that man in court, Byler said yes, but not 100%. He then pointed across the room to where 52-year-old Corry resident Shawn C. Cranston

Over 30 photographs and videos were introduced into evidence, including photos of shoe prints from the Byler residence and tire prints from the Byler’s driveway, and surveillance video footage from the Spartansburg Sportsman’s Club, Main Street Laser Wash and Ellwood National Forge. The prosecution also presented data from a GPS device installed in Cranston’s vehicle, a red Jeep Patriot, and from Cranston’s cellphone.

I've been thinking about the "scalping type" wounds to Rebekah's head. We know from the clothes on the line that Rebekah had been up and about the morning she was killed, and by that time would have had her head covering/bonnet on. So how did she have knife wounds on her head if it was mostly covered with a bonnet?

In the AP article on the preliminary hearing, Andy is quoted as saying that after arriving home, “I walked in and saw her cap laying inside the door.” Her bonnet shouldn't have "fallen" off; it was likely held in place by a few bobby pins on the sides, or straight pins through her hair bun. (The bonnet probably had ties as well, but, depending on the Byler's "district", likely weren't tied under her chin.) So two possible options:
1. Rebekah's bonnet was yanked off, then her head was cut.
2. Rebekah's scalp was cut in the process of slicing her bonnet and hair off.

In the image below from after the preliminary hearing, I'm assuming Rebekah's bonnet seen by Andy on the floor of their home was the same as these Amish ladies. The white bonnets on their heads, that is. The black bonnets they are holding would be worn on top of the white ones for traveling? Religious services? Going to town? I'm not familiar with that district's customs. But not worn in the homes that I have ever heard.

This is my own interpretation of the possible layout of Rebekah Byler's home. It is based on the photos found here: https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...h-Flats-Rd_Spartansburg_PA_16434_M46398-17184

Image not to scale.
View attachment 491518
Byler.jpg
Re: FRONT DOOR
On the covered porch in the drawing above, the double green "V" marks are the double front patio-style doors which open into the living room, where Rebekah was found (presumably near the square labeled "Rug")

The green "V" between the covered porch and the laundry room is a side door, most likely the door normally used by the family.

1710866481609.png

Thank you for posting these marked photos. Very helpful for understanding some of the articles. Based on my reading of some of the articles, I believe Rebekah was found inside more toward the back of the living room and her husband first saw her bonnet on the floor just inside the front door. Again, my reading of the articles indicate she had a “scalping type wound” to her head and her throat was cut in multiple places.

This is my theory about what may have happened. SC comes to the front door and lets himself in. Rebekah is either in the dining room with the kids and hears someone enter the house so she steps into the living room to see who it is. Or she is already in the living room. SC immediately moves toward her and she starts yelling at him and he is yelling at her as he continues to move toward her. SC has a gun and gives her instructions to sit down and be quiet.

SC then starts talking to her about why he is there. He smokes a cigarette while talking to her and maybe drinks that Mountain Dew. Perhaps 15 or twenty minutes go by and SC is not getting what he wants from her and becomes extremely agitated. SC believes she has the information he wants. Rebekah is really terrified and tries to make a run for the front door. SC is behind her and slightly to one side or the other, immediately shoots the gun intending just to scare her into giving him the information. But, the bullet strikes her head and pushes through the scalp, causing the scalping type wound, and as the bullet passes across the top of her scalp, the bonnet is taken off and lands a few feet to one side of front door.

The force of the bullet knocks Rebekah to the floor but doesn’t kill her. SC then realizes he has a serious problem and in a split second decides he has to kill her so slashes her throat.

THIS IS JUST MY THEORY BASED ONLY ON WHAT I HAVE READ. (BBM)

Slain pregnant Amish woman was found with throat cut in rural Pennsylvania home: court documents

Husband of slain pregnant Amish woman in Pa. testifies his young children told him of the killing

I hope Rebekah is resting in peace with her unborn child and that Andy and the two toddlers are able to get some healing assisted their relatives and the community.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back