PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

Anybody have a subscription to Erie Times News? They got the search warrants

Anybody have a subscription to Erie Times News? They got the search warrants

Here's the article.
MSN

Also, Penn Live Article has a very good story based on the unsealed warrants and supporting affidavits.

Of note in the article is clarification about the gunshot to the head. “She [Rebekah Byler] had sharp force injuries to her neck and a “scalping type wound” on her head that was later confirmed to be a gunshot wound during her autopsy, according to court documents.” (Quote from PennLive story). In a previous posting of mine, I had speculated that the scalping type wound was the gunshot wound. I still believe that gunshot wound knocked her to the floor and possibly caused her to be unconscious but did not kill her. She died as a result of that gunshot along with SC slashing her throat.

He came BACK? How extra creepy. Motherless babies right there....

Hand of Fate there weren't more casualties.
Do you mean he came back before the murder or after?

Cranston came back to Rebekah's house to murder Rebekah after Andy found him going into the barn one night and saying he wanted to buy the house and he would return the next day, which he never did. But yes he did return to murder Rebekah.

I don' t think Cranston came back to Rebekah and Andy's home after the murder, if that is what you mean. Unless I missed it in the article.

From the article Cranston must have returned to his home, left and returned again 7 minutes later. Likely to throw away evidence somewhere within a few minutes away. It was said earlier that Cranston was seen on video at a car wash, washing the rear of the Jeep. Maybe that is what he was doing in that time, although unless the car was is very close it 9 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to do all that.

Do you mean he came back before the murder or after?

Cranston came back to Rebekah's house to murder Rebekah after Andy found him going into the barn one night and saying he wanted to buy the house and he would return the next day, which he never did. But yes he did return to murder Rebekah.

I don' t think Cranston came back to Rebekah and Andy's home after the murder, if that is what you mean. Unless I missed it in the article.

From the article Cranston must have returned to his home, left and returned again 7 minutes later. Likely to throw away evidence somewhere within a few minutes away. It was said earlier that Cranston was seen on video at a car wash, washing the rear of the Jeep. Maybe that is what he was doing in that time, although unless the car was is very close it 9 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to do all that.
Article says LE believes she was murdered between 10 am.and 11.

Quote: Troopers wrote in the unsealed affidavits that the footage showed a red Jeep Patriot returning to the Cranston residence between 1:55 p.m. and 2:02 p.m. on Feb. 26. From 2:02 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., according to the affidavits, a man is seen opening the doors and hatch of the vehicle and going in and out with items in his hands and carrying things to the side of a camper in the yard.

Does that mean he was there from 1:55 until 5:15?

Babies must have been hungry. Confused.

Why did he burn things there?????? Didn't he great getting ccaught?

Article says LE believes she was murdered between 10 am.and 11.

Quote: Troopers wrote in the unsealed affidavits that the footage showed a red Jeep Patriot returning to the Cranston residence between 1:55 p.m. and 2:02 p.m. on Feb. 26. From 2:02 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., according to the affidavits, a man is seen opening the doors and hatch of the vehicle and going in and out with items in his hands and carrying things to the side of a camper in the yard.

Cranston returned to his own residence around 1:55 and burned items there.

After reading the part of the article a few more times regarding when Cranston returned or arrived at his residence, I now see that he didn't leave and return again, but the article gives a 7 minute time frame in which it was said Cranston arrived at his residence. I would think with the video from across the street and the GPS data from the Jeep, LE would know exactly what time Cranston arrived at his residence. The only reason I can think why they would give a time frame might be because the time stamp on the video was not synchronized with the GPS satellite time and the video time was off set by 7 minutes.

JMO

Authorities say the Pennsylvania man suspected of killing Rebekah Byler, 23, in her own home in February was well-known in the area for his allegedly “odd behavior” and suspicious activities, including a possible late-night confrontation with Byler's husband.
[snip]
Andy told authorities that about two weeks before the killing, he “confronted” a man with features resembling Cranston who was allegedly lingering around their residence late in the evening, per the affidavit. Cranston allegedly expressed interest in buying the house.
[snip]
About 10 days before the killing, another woman named Rebecca Byler — who lived about a minute's walk from Rebekah and Andy's residence — noticed a vehicle and a man with features similar to the ones described by other neighbors, per the affidavit.

The man then pulled out of the driveway and headed in the direction of Rebekah and Andy's residence, the affidavit alleges.
According to the affidavit, Cranston worked one day for William Byler, who lived in the area and told police that following Cranston's work with him, the man would allegedly “randomly show up at their residence.”

William said he had “an uneasy feeling” about him, the affidavit states. (It's unclear if William or Rebecca has any relation to Rebekah and Andy.)
Police Reveal How Man Accused of Killing Pregnant Amish Allegedly Woman Knew of the Victim

Authorities say the Pennsylvania man suspected of killing Rebekah Byler, 23, in her own home in February was well-known in the area for his allegedly “odd behavior” and suspicious activities, including a possible late-night confrontation with Byler's husband.
[snip]
Andy told authorities that about two weeks before the killing, he “confronted” a man with features resembling Cranston who was allegedly lingering around their residence late in the evening, per the affidavit. Cranston allegedly expressed interest in buying the house.
[snip]
About 10 days before the killing, another woman named Rebecca Byler — who lived about a minute's walk from Rebekah and Andy's residence — noticed a vehicle and a man with features similar to the ones described by other neighbors, per the affidavit.

The man then pulled out of the driveway and headed in the direction of Rebekah and Andy's residence, the affidavit alleges.
According to the affidavit, Cranston worked one day for William Byler, who lived in the area and told police that following Cranston's work with him, the man would allegedly “randomly show up at their residence.”

William said he had “an uneasy feeling” about him, the affidavit states. (It's unclear if William or Rebecca has any relation to Rebekah and Andy.)
Police Reveal How Man Accused of Killing Pregnant Amish Allegedly Woman Knew of the Victim
Casually checking out real estate late in the evening? Presumably in the dark? Yeah, no. One has to wonder why he was there, what ill intention.

Got caught so IMO he manufactured a (lame) reason for being there on the spot.

Casing the joint? Counting occupants would be my guess.

JMO

he documents revealed Cranston had started driving for an Amish man who lived one mile away from Rebekah Byler’s home in December. Many Amish workers rely on drivers outside the community since they don’t drive vehicles.

According to court records:

Investigators found a shoe print inside the victim’s home after she was killed resembling a Nike Air Force One sneaker. Amish people traditionally do not wear Nike sneakers and no pairs of the shoes were found in their home, police said.

When police searched Cranston’s home, they found and confiscated a pair of white Nike Air Force One sneakers.
[snip]
Among the evidence found at the murder scene, police picked up what appeared to be part of a rubber glove.

When police pulled Cranston’s trash after the killing, they say they found a black glove that matched the “material, color and grip ridge pattern” to the piece found at the murder scene, police said.
Man accused of killing pregnant Pa. Amish woman worked for her neighbor: police

During the preliminary hearing, Trooper Shea Sedler testified that red and black Nike sneakers were found under a mattress inside a camper at Cranston's residence in Corry. Sedler said the shoe pattern was similar to what he photographed inside Rebekah Byler's home.

Police also took DNA and fingerprints from Cranston, who has been jailed without bail since his March 2 arrest.

Cranston's public defender, Gary Alan Kern, has not returned messages seeking comment. At the preliminary hearing, Kern argued prosecutors had not identified a motive or produced a murder weapon.

Tire treads from Cranston's Jeep appeared to match tire impressions collected from muddy ground at the crime scene, police said.
Guns and sneakers seized from man accused of killing pregnant Amish woman in Pa., police say

Awaiting (Upper) Court Date*

Defendant:
Shawn Christopher Cranston, M/52

Decedents:
Rebekah A. Byler, F/23
UnBorn Female Baby -
[Was Due May 2024]

* https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/CpDocketSheet?docketNumber=CP-20-CR-0000227-2024&dnh=pZ3CNlQnkHbD8toSUtrr6w==

Rebekah Byler - Shawn Cranston - Google Search

CE = Competency Evaluation
Change of Venue = [VENN'-you] = Jurors Selected from, & Trial Held
Other-than Crawford County
CP = (Upper) Court of Common Pleas
DA = District Attorney
"English" = Amish label for all non-Amish people
F = Felony-Grade Crime
F/23 = Female / Age 23
FWIW = For What It's Worth
Gestation = About 40 Weeks from Conception-to-Delivery
i.e. = id est = that-is
IMO = In My Opinion
IPP = Intermediate Punishment Program
Jeep™ = A Popular Sport Utility Vehicle
JMO = Just My Opinion
LE = Law Enforcement
LWOP = Life With-Out Parole
M = Misdemeanor-Grade Offense
M/52 = Male / Age 52
MDJ = (Lower) Magistrial District Judge Court
MOO = My Own Opinion
OMO = Only My Opinion
PD = Public Defender
PSP = Pennsylvania State Police - Incident 24-255133
R.I.P. = Rest In Peace - Condolences
S = Summary-Grade Citation
SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle
W/N/F 23 = White/Non-Hispanic/Female - 23 Years Old
W/N/M 52 = White/Non-Hispanic/Male - 52 Years Old

Our Salute to Law Enforcement for Their Rapid Results.

Last edited:
[snip]
[snip]

Am I correct in understanding that there are two women named Rebecca Bylar in the general area, so close that she is a minute's walk from the house where the current deceased woman lived ?

Am I correct in understanding that there are two women named Rebecca Bylar in the general area, so close that she is a minute's walk from the house where the current deceased woman lived ?

Wouldn't be uncommon in that type of community. Many Amish & Mennonite have similar names with just deviations in spelling. Lots of Rebekah/Rebecca, Byler/Beiler, Stoltzfus/Stoltzfoos, etc etc

There is, but each spells their first name differently.

https://thecinemaholic.com/barbara-weaver-murder-where-are-eli-weaver-and-barbara-raber-now/

Spoke to the current Mbg. Holmes County Court Judge Andy Hyde yesterday. He was the court-appointed lawyer to defend Eli in the murder trial. Told me Parole Board did not contact him. He has ZERO respect for Eli.

Parole Bd. last week ruled eight more years. The local Bishop told me denial was a relief for the Amish community. No Amish at the Hearing. What does the Amish Church do with basically an unrepentant man who continues to declare and present himself as Amish publicly? John Schmid has contact with Eli in Common Ground prison visits.

I went with John Schmid through Common Ground prison visits and, by chance, met Eli Weaver
I trust a rattlesnake more than I do him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back