Patrol: 5 die in limousine fire on Calif. bridge

The women who were killed in the Saturday night blaze were found pressed up against the partition, apparently because smoke and fire kept them from the rear exits of the extended passenger compartment.

The position of the bodies suggested they were trying to get away from the fire, said San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault. His office planned to begin autopsies later Monday.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=25068382&n...s-to-claim-5-lives&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-4

And to add to the tragedy - on this, National Nurses' Day- they were all RNs and co-workers.

They weren't RN's on a Burn Unit were they?!?
That would be just too much.

I hate that bridge....I heard the driver on the news, I just feel horrible for him and the families.

I hate that bridge....I heard the driver on the news, I just feel horrible for him and the families.
Yes, but the bridge had nothing to do with the accident. Apparently it could have happened anywhere. Driver thinks it was an electrical fire that started in the trunk. When the girls were banging on the partition yelling smoke, he thought they wanted to smoke, and they were only 4 min. away from their destination. Apparently the fire only took 3 min., and the person who opened the back door to free them ignited the backdraft, which made it worse.

oh no, I didn't mean the bridge had anything to do with it, but I was thinking of a Friday night, and trying to pull over and the confusion that would have gone along with it...ugh!

Bachelorette party bus fall kills woman
May 6, 2013

KANSAS CITY, Kan. - A woman fell out of a bachelorette party bus onto a busy freeway in Kansas and died when she was struck by at least three vehicles on Saturday, the same night five women in a bridal party reportedly died in California when their limousine caught fire.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2013/05/06/20799226.html

Never ridden in a limo either but seen a few post on some of news sites that say the back doors of limos cannot be opened from the inside, only the driver can open them.

Anyone know if this is true?

Well that sure seems like the fire hazard waiting to happen.

Yes, but the bridge had nothing to do with the accident. Apparently it could have happened anywhere. Driver thinks it was an electrical fire that started in the trunk. When the girls were banging on the partition yelling smoke, he thought they wanted to smoke, and they were only 4 min. away from their destination. Apparently the fire only took 3 min., and the person who opened the back door to free them ignited the backdraft, which made it worse.

God, that's awful - the poor woman who opened the door thinking she was going to help.

I saw this a few days ago and forgot to post it then:

Exclusive: Mechanical failure caused fatal limo fire

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/peninsula&id=9128860

.......Witnesses say the back of the Lincoln towncar was extremely low to the ground while it was moving across the bridge the night of May 4. There were nine women on board, one more than the limo's permit says it was allowed to carry. All of the women worked together as nurses. One had just gotten married and they were on their way to a party to celebrate. .........

"The car would be jumping like a horse," Mustafa continued. "If there's a load in it, it would be bottoming at the ground, which is I think what happened. It bottomed on the ground and unfortunately, the gas tank is right there. The car with the weight, it bounced down too hard, and ended up hitting the gas tank, which is right at this spot here. It might have hit the gas tank and then you see, when it hits the ground it will create a spark. There's a spark here and there's fuel going down. So it catches fire." ........more......

And now there was another Limo fire in Walnut Creek. Passengers were 90 year-old women, but they all escaped.10 women, many in 90s, escape Calif. limo fire

By MIHIR ZAVERI Associated Press
Posted: 06/10/2013 06:59:09 AM PDT
Updated: 06/10/2013 04:44:27 PM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO—Ten women—some of them in their 90s—escaped unharmed from a limousine that began smoking and caught fire in Northern California just more than a month after five nurses were killed while trapped inside a burning limousine on a nearby bridge. The women were celebrating one of their 90th birthdays and were in the vehicle outside the birthday woman's home—where they had gathered shortly after 11 a.m.— when white smoke drifted out of the partition between the driver's compartment and the passenger compartment, Mary Chapman, one of the passengers, said Monday.
The limousine was idling, but the doors were open. Chapman, 63, said she got out and the other women —some of whom relied on walkers and canes— followed with help from each other and a caregiver.
"I think that's what saved us," she said. "The doors were not closed, so they weren't locked."
Flames erupted about 15 minutes later, she said, although the women were out by then and had moved into the home. Television news footage showed the limo's passenger and driver's compartments completely gutted.
more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

Well that sure seems like the fire hazard waiting to happen.

True but at the same time it is probably the lesser of two evils for Limo companies.

Since they often cater to drunken groups I would guess statistically the likely hood of injury or death from someone opening the door on the highway and falling out is greater than a random fire (just like child safety locks for kids/pets).

If they are paid to safely transport people that are often drinking, having sex, and god only knows what in the back the child safety locks make sense. They can't let their crazy passengers fall out of the vehicle.

From your link Jjenny....thanks for posting.....

"The couple have four children and separated about a month before the fire on the San Mateo Bridge. Hernandez-Brown called police hours before the blaze to report that Brown had kicked and dented her car during an argument. He had left the scene before police arrived."

"We need to follow up on this," Karen Guidotti, chief deputy San Mateo County district attorney told the newspaper when told of its finding. Police had not previously spoken with Hernandez-Brown."

I cannot believe they hadn't spoken to the ex-wife yet.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back