Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purpose of meeting between Sandusky team, prosecutors, judge now clear

Tues. unplanned meeting was a defense request to postpone jury selection, Denied.

The judge wrote, in part, "While I certainly do not doubt the sincerity of defense counsel in requesting a continuance, the reality of our system of justice is that no date for trial is ever perfect, but some dates are better than others. While June 5th does present its problems, on balance and considering all the interests involved – the defendant's right to a fair trial, the alleged victims' right to their day in court, the Commonwealth's obligation to prosecute promptly, and the public's expectation that justice will be timely done – no date will necessarily present a better alternative."

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehann.../14281018/-/koq5s6/-/index.html#ixzz1wTdWtWuF

--------

At Wed. scheduled hearing, defense wanted some charges dropped. Per twitter link above:

AnneDanahy Judge asks #Sandusky attorney whether the jury needs to hear from witnesses to decide, attorney wants some charges dropped ·

AnneDanahy #Sandusky attorney says the more charges that go to jury, the more likely to think something must have happened ·

AnneDanahy Prosecutor argues that contextual evidence will support allegations that PSU employee saw #Sandusky in shower with a boy

I really like how this judge and prosecutor are handling the defense...

picture.php

Let's see how t goes. Victim 8 is the weakest charge; that could be the benchmark.

I'm sure there's a great deal of pressure for this trial to commence on schedule so it can get over with as quickly as possible. Penn State is still wishing the public's amnesia will be in place by the start of the fall semester. Fat chance, imo.

Unless, there's a plea, of course. We are in the twilight of the eleventh hour-- the next few days will bring about any jockeying for position there's to be.

Wonder how Dottie's holding up-- and does she have her own legal counsel yet?

Denial is a great holder-upper....I'm wondering if during the trial, some of the victims testify that Dottie was in the home during their abuses, knew of them and did nothing to help, and JS is convicted of those charges, will she also be charged?

I know a lot of 'ifs' before the trial has even started but that question and the one about the conspiracy and who was involved in it, are my 2 main questions about this entire situation.

I know a lot of 'ifs' before the trial has even started but that question and the one about the conspiracy and who was involved in it, are my 2 main questions about this entire situation.

I think there are a lot of questions of who did what. Baldwin has an attorney; the AG has not ruled out charges against Spanier.

All these people want to delay, delay, delay....

Former Penn State administrators Curley and Schultz ask court for more time to file motions

Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, the high-level former Penn State administrators facing perjury charges in the Jerry Sandusky case, are asking the court for more time to file pretrial motions for discovery and inspection.

The deadline for Curley and Schultz to file the motions is Friday, but the two want more time. A pretrial conference in the case also is scheduled for Friday.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/31/3213470/former-penn-state-administrators.html#storylink=cpy

Erickson is playing games too? How does a Grand Jury decide when to hear certain people?

"Though Erickson has been subpoenaed, he said he has not testified before the grand jury."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../anthony.gonzalez.ap/index.html?sct=obnetwork

The grand jury can subpoenaed documents, so that would be a possibility. People can be subpoenaed and not called, even when the case goes to court (that happened to me). A person can also take the fifth, though they would be immunized before a grand jury.

Good for the judge, I say. Victims have waited enough.
.......and 98% of the students are not at State College (near Bellefonte) during summer break.
Students are furious at Sandusky and they can be rowdy and unpredictable. In addition, the angering tactics of Sandusky and his attorney should be curtailed asap.

"For the Sandusky trial, Jury Commissioner Hope Miller said her office summoned 600 people. [over the usual 500]

"This time of year you have a lot of people going on vacation, you have a lot of students who have left the area for the summer," she said of the increase.
Miller said 211 people returned the questionnaires for the Sandusky jury selection, right in the middle of the 175 to 265 people who typically do so."

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/02/3215518/jury-selection-a-calculated-science.html

Quest for the truth aids lead prosecutor in Sandusky case, colleagues say

..........Philadelphia-based defense attorney Fortunato N. Perri Jr. has known McGettigan for 25 years, and thinks he’s the right man for the job.

“One of the last things you’d like to see when you walk in as a defense attorney is Joe sitting on the other side,” he said.

Perri worked alongside McGettigan with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office and against him in private practice in both state and federal court.

“He’s very passionate about what he believes in,” Perri said. “He’s bright — a tireless, dedicated worker, and a tremendous trial lawyer — one of the best I’ve ever seen in my career.”
--------

In Centre County court, McGettigan has shown he speaks quickly and doesn’t mince words. He has been both eloquent and verbose in his responses to Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola.

“If you are where he is trying to get, you are going to get run over,” Peruto said.

McAndrews said Sandusky’s defense is in for a challenge.

“(McGettigan) has an amazing knack to know what the defense is going to do, sometimes before the defense knows what they are going to do,” he said. “It’s uncanny really — not something you see very often. His capacity to do that is unmatched.”

Peruto said McGettigan won’t let a defense attorney “get away with shenanigans,” and will attack weak arguments.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/...uth-aids-lead.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

Judge OKs delay of Curley, Schultz case so lawyers can review documents

........Meanwhile, a request to dismiss a failure to report abuse charge against the two men remains outstanding.

Judge Todd A. Hoover granted a two-week delay on Friday, the same day he conducted a 30-minute closed-door meeting with attorneys in the case. Curley and Schultz did not attend.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/...urley-schultz.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA