Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9V71U101@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=2

........Eight jurors were selected Tuesday, including a longtime Penn State football season ticketholder..........

When Sandusky's lawyer sought to have her removed for cause, Judge John Cleland signaled he would need more grounds.

"We're in Centre County. We're in rural Pennsylvania," Cleland said, noting that such connections "can't be avoided."

Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola opted not to use one of his eight challenges, and she joined the panel.

Others selected included a 24-year-old man with plans to attend an auto technician school and a mother of two who works in retail.
-------

Prospective jurors also learned that Paterno's wife and son were among the potential defense witnesses. Members of Sandusky's family also were on a list shown to the prospective jurors, along with assistant coach Mike McQueary and his father.
------

Among those who were struck from the pool were a nurse who said people make up stories all the time &#8212; prosecutors used a challenge for her &#8212; as well as a man who had volunteered for the charity Sandusky founded, The Second Mile. Also struck were a mother of 10 who said she has made up her mind and a Penn State fan and township manager who said news coverage of the case has been destructive to her community.

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9V71U101@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=2

........Eight jurors were selected Tuesday, including a longtime Penn State football season ticketholder..........

When Sandusky's lawyer sought to have her removed for cause, Judge John Cleland signaled he would need more grounds.

"We're in Centre County. We're in rural Pennsylvania," Cleland said, noting that such connections "can't be avoided."

Sandusky attorney Joe Amendola opted not to use one of his eight challenges, and she joined the panel.

Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

:)

Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

:)

I thought Amendola wanted a local jury, lol, but I'm thinking he's just sly and thinks these 'home folks' will help JS when they are probably the ones who will turn on him.

Also, did not want to copy StellarsJay's latest great timeline, but just to comment that the long list of JS's hostings, appearances, fundraisings and speeches while he is grooming and abusing these children is sickening to me. And Amendola tried to say he was shy and not a good speaker is why he did so badly at his TV interview. IMO the man can speak very well until he has to lie in public about his 'attraction' to children.

I thought Amendola wanted a local jury, lol, but I'm thinking he's just sly and thinks these 'home folks' will help JS when they are probably the ones who will turn on him.

Amendola did, and he threw away an appellant issue in doing so. He did as well by appealing to SCCP to delay. It is hugely unlikely they will say that their own decision was wrong.

Okay, Amendola is a good lawyer, but I don't understand what he's doing.

I will add my commendation to StellarsJay's timeline.

Also, did not want to copy StellarsJay's latest great timeline, but just to comment that the long list of JS's hostings, appearances, fundraisings and speeches while he is grooming and abusing these children is sickening to me. And Amendola tried to say he was shy and not a good speaker is why he did so badly at his TV interview. IMO the man can speak very well until he has to lie in public about his 'attraction' to children.

Wow...It won't matter where the jury is from if this is true:

Intimate love letters allegedly written from Sandusky to the accuser, known as Victim 4, will be read into testimony after the trial begins on Monday, sources close to the case told ABC News.

The letters, which were allegedly written in Sandusky's own handwriting, are expected to corroborate the testimony of the man known as Victim 4, now 28 years old, who met the coach through Sandusky's charity, the Second Mile. The victim's attorney won't talk about the letter, but sources describe the letters as "creepy" and note that one was written in the third person includes a lewd title and is a love story between a boy and a man.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jerry-sand...ictim-revealed/story?id=16501341#.T86KOcWmGHg

I haven't commented here before, mostly because I have nothing to add. But I just wanted to say, OMG, they have freaking LOVE LETTERS? If I were Jerry Sandusky, I would seriously be considering suicide right now.

I haven't commented here before, mostly because I have nothing to add. But I just wanted to say, OMG, they have freaking LOVE LETTERS? If I were Jerry Sandusky, I would seriously be considering suicide right now.

And also knowing the feds are after him now. This is one reason a lot of us thought he should not get bond..I don't think he is too stable right now....I'm thinking mostly about his family, especially the grandchildren....

Amendola did, and he threw away an appellant issue in doing so. He did as well by appealing to SCCP to delay. It is hugely unlikely they will say that their own decision was wrong.

Okay, Amendola is a good lawyer, but I don't understand what he's doing.

I will add my commendation to StellarsJay's timeline.

Several have said another mistake was to waive the preliminary hearing. Although he has the evidence from the state, he has no idea how strong or weak these witnesses for the state will be.

Now that we know about the letters to Victim 4, there might be letters to the other victims too.

To go to those lengths, JS had to feel he was very protected....

If anybody can confirm this with other (reliable) new sources, I'd love for you to post it. Or, if you contact the reporter and get a response.

daily beast reporting what reads to me that gricar got a grand jury indictment on JS for that 1998 PSU shower episode (might be a good guess on the reporter's part, but I'd like to know)

"The whispers about Jerry Sandusky have ricocheted around Centre County, Pa., since at least 1998, when allegations of child sexual abuse first surfaced.

The district attorney at the time, Ray Gricar, took the case of the popular Penn State assistant football coach to a grand jury, and the resulting indictment accused Sandusky of sexually touching a young boy while they were both naked...."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/features/2012/06/jerry-sandusky-on-trial.html

If anybody can confirm this with other (reliable) new sources, I'd love for you to post it. Or, if you contact the reporter and get a response.

daily beast reporting what reads to me that gricar got a grand jury indictment on JS for that 1998 PSU shower episode (might be a good guess on the reporter's part, but I'd like to know)

"The whispers about Jerry Sandusky have ricocheted around Centre County, Pa., since at least 1998, when allegations of child sexual abuse first surfaced.

The district attorney at the time, Ray Gricar, took the case of the popular Penn State assistant football coach to a grand jury, and the resulting indictment accused Sandusky of sexually touching a young boy while they were both naked...."

Well, if RFG got an indictment, those would be the charges. Sandusky was indicted in regard to the 1998 incident.

From what has been previously reported, there was no other grand jury. I've actually been hoping against hope that RFG tried in 1998.

Thanks to you all who have kept this thread going during the lengthy time when little news was being reported.

When I started the original thread early last November, I knew this would be an important one, but had little if any idea of the many directions to which this subject would lead.

Several have said another mistake was to waive the preliminary hearing. Although he has the evidence from the state, he has no idea how strong or weak these witnesses for the state will be.

Definitely.

Thanks to you all who have kept this thread going during the lengthy time when little news was being reported.

When I started the original thread early last November, I knew this would be an important one, but had little if any idea of the many directions to which this subject would lead.

My life has been absolute hell since you started this thread. :)

The trustees claim that Baldwin said there were three other grand juries that investigated Sandusky. The AG's Office, that should really know, said there wasn't: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/01/19/3058390/psu-trustees-sandusky-investigated.html

The actually issued a complete denial a day or two later. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...state-board-of-trustees-claim-on-sex-scandal/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softtaillover