Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Sandusky soon to face accusers in child sexual abuse trial

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sc-nw-sandusky-trial-20120603,0,3605760.story

........As many as eight young men will confront the retired Penn State assistant football coach from the witness stand in the coming weeks and tell a jury their accounts of the abuse they allege he committed over the course of 13 years.

After jury selection, set to begin Tuesday and conclude later in the week, prosecutors are likely to open with the most visceral testimony they have, lawyers familiar with the case say........

Retired federal prosecutor Seth Weber said that although Sandusky's lawyers had identified weak spots in the state's case, it is clear the prosecutors have confidence in their evidence........

And although Sandusky's attorneys have received thousands of pages of investigative documents from prosecutors, Sandusky gave up his right to hear the state's witnesses testify before trial. That puts defense attorneys Joe Amendola and Karl Rominger at a disadvantage, not knowing how the prosecution witnesses will hold up to cross-examination.........

Sandusky's lawyers have signaled that in addition to trying to discredit his accusers, they intend to present Sandusky as a victim of a conspiracy among the accusers to fabricate allegations of abuse. The accusers, Amendola has said, intended to cash in with civil suits against Penn State.

More at link....

Sandusky judge denies accusers' bid for pseudonyms

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9V6BUN80@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=1

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Alleged victims of former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky will have to testify using their real names, and tweets or other electronic communications by reporters will not be permitted during the trial, the judge ruled Monday.........

"Arguably any victim of any crime would prefer not to appear in court, not to be subjected to cross-examination, not to have his or her credibility evaluated by a jury — not to put his name and reputation at stake," the judge wrote. "But we ask citizens to do that every day in courts across the nation."

Media organizations, including The Associated Press, typically do not identify people who say they were sexually abused.
-------

Cleland has not ruled on defense motions to have some or all of the charges thrown out, and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has not ruled on a motion by Sandusky filed late Friday that requests a delay in the start of trial.

The court's docket indicated that Sandusky was asking for "extraordinary relief" and a court official said the file was sealed and unavailable for inspection.

More at link....

Wow, the reporters are going to have to go "old school" to give us what we want! LOL I wonder if anybody knows shorthand anymore??? I imagine that even taking notes on a keyboard would be taboo because of all the dang noise it would make. Hmmmmm This will be interesting.

I'm sorry these young men are not going to be able to conceal their identities, but thankfully, in this country, you can change your name if you want to. If I were them, I'd be thinking up a new one right about now. :( JMO

KYW TV, Philadelphia, Sandusky under federal investigation for Victim 4, crossing state lines to the Alamo Bowl.

Jury selection to begin in Sandusky trial

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jury-selection-begin-sandusky-trial-215048230--ncaaf.html

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) Picking 12 people to decide Jerry Sandusky's fate in the child-molestation case that brought down coach Joe Paterno and scandalized Penn State could prove a monumental task in a county where practically everyone went to the university, works there, knows someone there or is a fan of the football team.

More at link.....

KYW TV, Philadelphia, Sandusky under federal investigation for Victim 4, crossing state lines to the Alamo Bowl.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8688082&hpt=ju_bn4

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - June 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Multiple sources tell Action News defense attorneys for Jerry Sandusky have received a target letter from federal investigators, which means he is now at the center of a federal investigation.

Sources tell Action News the investigation centers around Victim 4 in the state's case. Federal investigators are probing Jerry Sandusky for allegedly taking the child across state lines to engage in sex.
-------

A target is a person whom the prosecutor or grand jury has substantial evidence linking him or her to the commission of a crime.

The letter means the feds believe they have substantial evidence and an indictment is likely.

Andreozzi expects his client [Victim 4] to be the first on the stand when the state trial begins next week

"I think it's fair to say he's extremely anxious to get this over with; this has been the most difficult time of his life," Andreozzi said.

More at link......

Is the trial going to be televised (like on In Session)? Does anyone know?

I wonder if Sandusky will go to federal trial once state trial is over. Federal charges are very serious.

Here is the first of four posts of a Sandusky-Penn State timeline I have pasted together. The framework is a very good sports media account that provides a vivid contrast between Sandusky's public and private lives. Not only was he a busy boy, there's a feeling of manic outbursts when the sports victories and the assaults are joined.

1. Sandusky timeline compilation:
Sources: The main timeline is from:
Sandusky's double life - in public, a saint; in private, an alleged monsterPublished: November 20, 2011
http://citizensvoice.com/news/timel...te-an-alleged-monster-1.1234866#axzz1sYNIlucT
Other siources:
Bill of particulars. http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upload/SANDUSKY Bill of Particulars.pdf
Excerpts from &#8220;Touched&#8221;, second-hand quotes.
Several news articles on Matthew Sandusky
Recent summary by Sara Ganim and others.

1977: Jerry Sandusky, recently promoted to defensive coordinator at Penn State, forms "The Second Mile," an organization with the mission of helping troubled young boys, particularly those from absent or dysfunctional families.
Jan. 1, 1982: Penn State wins its first national championship with a 27-23 win over No. 1 Georgia.
1985 or 86: Matthew had joined The Second Mile around age 7, along with his younger brother, Ron Heichel, a bigger and more rambunctious kid than shy and reserved Matt.
1986: Jerry Sandusky is named Assistant Coach of the Year (says Wikipedia)
Jan. 2, 1987: Sandusky's punishing defense intercepts Heisman-winning quarterback Vinny Testaverde five times, lifting Penn State to a 14-10 upset of No. 1 Miami and the school's second national title.
October 1987: In an interview with NBC News, Sandusky discusses his affinity for working with children: "I enjoy being around children. I enjoy their enthusiasm. I just have a good time with them."
1988: Jack Reykovitz becomes President of Second Mile
1989: Sandusky entered the lives of the Longs as a mentor when Matt was 10 years old, via The Second Mile charity
November 1990: Praise for The Second Mile's work with children is widespread. President George H.W. Bush names The Second Mile one of his 1,000 points of light.
1993: In `Touched``, Jerry says that when Matt is in 8th grade Matt`s mother agrees that Matt will study and spend time with the Sanduskys. Matt will sign a contract and be rewarded with money, part in cash and part in a college fund.
For a while Matt did better in school, then slid back after he goes to the Orlando Cirtus Bowl with Jerry and family.[January 1, 1994 Penn State 31 Tennessee 13.] At a baseball game, Matt`s mother and her boyfriend eneded the contract and it was difficult for Jerry to see Matt. P 101, Touched
Dec 30, 1993: Tim Curley named Director of Athletics
1994: Sandusky meets one of his earliest alleged victims, a 10-year-old boy identified as Victim 7, through the Second Mile program. Several years later, Sandusky invites the boy to football games at Penn State and State College Area High School, according to a grand jury report.
1994: In 1994 the police were called to Sandusky&#8217;s home to investigate a theft of cash and clothing that Matt had been accused of stealing.
1994-95Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.
January 1995: Matt is 16. Jerry Sandusky was in Los Angeles preparing for the 1995 Rose Bowl game when he made calls back to Centre County and arranged for Matt to move to Sandusky&#8217;s house directly from juvenile detention, where Matt was being held after his arrest for setting fire to a barn
In `Touched`the person who arranged Matt`s placement is said to be Tim Janoko. Janoko was a football player for Sandusky and became his close friend. He started and led a chapter of Second Mile and was a Director of TSM in 2011. P102 Touched. Janoko visited Matt in detention and said he wanted to be placed with the Sanduskys.
Jan. 2, 1995: Penn State completes its last undefeated season with a 38-20 win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl. The team finishes No. 2 in the nation behind Nebraska.
1995: Cynthia Baldwin joins Penn Board of Trustees
Sept 1, 1995 Graham Spanier becime head of Penn State
1995: Gerry Schultz, with Penn State since 1971, is promoted to VP of Finanace and Business
Beginning of 1996:About four months after moving to the Sandusky home, Matt attempted suicide with a girl living at the Sandusky home. [A commenter says the girl was Dottie&#8217;s niece, which makes more sense than Kara, and it doesn&#8217;t sound as if they were fostering girls.]
Police records&#8230; show that Matt ran away in 1996.
In a letter the school-based probation officer, Terry Trude, expressed concerns about Matt&#8217;s placement with the Sandusky&#8217;s, even though he acknowledged that Matt should remain in foster care.
Sandusky wrote that after Matt attempted suicide, &#8220;It got to the point where the authorities were going to take him away from us, but fortunately two people stepped in and, in our eyes, saved that young man&#8217;s life.&#8221;
One was a psychologist, (Dr. Fox) who wrote a letter telling the judge that Matt should go back into the Sandusky home. Matt wrote a similar letter to the judge asking to return. The other person was Judge Grine, now retired.
A school probation officer, Terry Trude, wrote a letter voicing concern about Matt&#8217;s safety, days after the 1996 suicide attempt, saying he did not believe the Sandusky home was the appropriate place for Matt.
1996 to 99 Victim 7, aged 11 to 14.
Fall 1996: Sandusky meets an 8-year-old boy identified in the grand jury report as Victim 5 at a Second Mile camp on the Penn State campus. Sandusky befriends the boy, taking him to at least 15 Penn State football games, according to the report. Victim 5 tells investigators that Sandusky would often put his hand on his left leg when they were driving in Sandusky's car, whenever the boy sat in the front seat.
1996: Sandusky becomes close with a 12-year-old identified in the grand jury report as Victim 4, who is in his second year of the Second Mile program. victim) he could be a walk-on player at Penn State," and the boy appeared in a linebacker video featuring Sandusky, and a photo accompanying an article about Sandusky in Sports Illustrated, the report says.
1997/8 When Matt turns adult at 18, and no longer &#8220;belongs&#8221; to his mother, Sandusky adopts him. Presumably this gets his college paid for by Jerry&#8217;s status at Penn. At least some of Matt&#8217;s files are sealed.
1996-1998: Sandusky takes Victim 5, between 8 and 10 years old at the time, to the Penn State football facility for a workout, according to the grand jury report. Afterward, the boy tells investigators, Sandusky takes him to the sauna and pushes him "about a little bit," then showers with the boy.

Thanks for the timeline, StellarsJay! This will help a lot in following the trial and remembering the events and people.

Looking forward to the rest of it....

Afterthought on post 1- Sandusky was 33 in 1977 when he founded Second Mile.
You are welcome to expand or correct this with your own collection of information.

Sandusky Timeline Part 2.
--2---
Summer 1997- 1999 Relationship with Victim 10, age 10-11
Fall 1997: Victim 10, who came forward after Sandusky was charged. Ganim says: a troubled boy who became involved in The Second Mile at age 10. Sandusky started to take interest in him after his first summer at camp, called his mom and invited him to a football game&#8230; The relationship ended when Sandusky asked him to perform a sex act in the car during a trip and he refused.
Jan. 1, 1998Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl. Timeline:
May 3 1998: Sandusky showers with an 11 year-old boy (Victim 6) and washes the boy's body in the football locker room, according to the grand jury report. University Police and Child Protective Services investigate, with the support of Wendell Courtney, the university counsel who later served as counsel to The Second Mile. The mother of the boy confronts Sandusky at her home as a university police detective and a municipal police detective listen in on the conversation. Sandusky admits the inappropriate conduct, telling the mother: "I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead." He makes a similar admission to an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. The university police detective advises Sandusky not to shower with a child again, and Sandusky promises he would not. No charges are filed.
May 13, 1998: Detectives listen in as the mother of Victim 6 confronts Sandusky about showering with her son and the effect it had on her son. She asks Sandusky if he had sexual feelings when he hugged her naked son. Sandusky admits showering with other boys as well, but refuses to promise that he never to shower with a boy again. The mother of Victim 6 asks Sandusky if his "private parts" touched Victim 6 when he hugged him. Sandusky says, "I don't think so ... maybe."
But in 1998, according to a grand jury report, Victim No. 6, who is now 24, told his mother he had showered with Sandusky in Penn State's Holuba Hall. Wendell Courtney, Penn State's general counsel, reviewed that report on behalf of the university before submitting it to then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar.
May 15, 1998: Sandusky speaks at State College Area High School commencement ceremonies at the Bryce Jordan Center on the Penn State campus.
May 19, 1998: Sandusky meets again with the mother of Victim 6, who says he cannot see the boy anymore. Sandusky, overheard by two detectives who are listening in, says: "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."
June 1, 1998: Sandusky admits to Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, that he showered naked with Victim 6 and hugged the boy while in the shower. He concedes that his behavior is wrong and promises not to shower with any child again.
1998: Penn State police and Lauro drop their cases.
June 19, 1998: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf outing.
Jan. 1, 1999: Sandusky coaches in Penn State's 26-14 win over Kentucky in the Outback Bowl. Victim 4 tells investigators he traveled to the bowl game with Sandusky's family party. The same boy said he often stayed with Sandusky and the team at the Toftrees resort near the Penn State campus the night before home games and accompanied Sandusky to charity outings.
1999: Relationships with Victim 7 and 10 end.
May 1999: Paterno tells Sandusky that he would not be the next coach. Victim 4 later tells investigators he remembered Sandusky being upset after seeing Paterno. Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting.
July 1, 1999: Athletic director Tim Curley issues a press release announcing Sandusky's decision to retire following the 1999 season. &#8230;His achievement as a human being, Curley says, "is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile."
August 1999: Penn State players honor Sandusky at the team's media day event, saying they only wanted him in the photo with them, not Paterno. After Paterno moves out of camera range, Sandusky jokes: "I've waited 30 years for that!"
November 1999: Penn state loses three straight games to end the regular season, including Sandusky's final home game - a 31-27 comeback win for Michigan.
Victim 4 testified before a grand jury that Sandusky showered him with gifts and the victim accompanied Sandusky to the 1998 Outback Bowl in Tampa and the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.
Dec. 28, 1999: Sandusky takes Victim 4 to the Alamo Bowl
His final game coaching at Penn State was a notable game for Sandusky. Penn State faced Texas A&M in the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. The Nittany Lions' defense shut out Texas A&M, 24&#8211;0, the only bowl game shutout victory for Penn State under Paterno. Sandusky was recognized in ways usually reserved for a head coach. He was doused with a water bucket and carried to the center of the field on the shoulders of his players.[10]
1999 Sandusky is again named Assistant Coach of the Year.
He retires in 1999 at age 55. Paterno was then 72.What was the date to the retirement party?
January 1999: In retirement, Sandusky holds emeritus status with Penn State. In addition to the regular privileges of a professor emeritus, he had an office and a telephone in the Lasch Building. The status allows him access to all recreational facilities, a parking pass for a vehicle, access to a Penn State account for the internet, listing in the faculty directory, faculty discounts at the bookstore and educational privileges for himself and eligible dependents. As a retired coach, Sandusky had unlimited access to the football facilities, including the locker rooms.
In 20000 the relationship with Victum 4, then 17, ends.
2000: Laasch football building is formally opened.
Jan. 10, 2000: The American Football Coaches Association honors Sandusky as the Division I-A assistant coach of the year. The group donates a $5,000 academic scholarship to Penn State in Sandusky's name. Sandusky later addresses the convention, speaking on the topic, "Working With Young People."
Jan. 17, 2000: The Philadelphia Sports Writers Association honors Sandusky with its Career Achievement Award.
April 1, 2000: Sandusky and the Second Mile are honored at a Celebration of Excellence in Hershey.
April 2, 2000: Sandusky delivers the keynote speech at the Central Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Football Foundation's annual banquet.
April 14, 2000: Nearly 1,200 people attend a testimonial and roast for Sandusky at the Bryce Jordan Center, the Penn State basketball arena, including Paterno and University president Graham Spanier. Paterno leaves early claiming a prior commitment. In his brief remarks, Paterno says Sandusky is, "what Penn State is all about." Spanier says, "There are very few people in Penn State's history who have made the impact he has made. His impact was not only as a coach, but also as a person. I think it's a unique combination. He's someone who has changed the lives of tens of thousands of people."
June 23, 2000: Sandusky hosts annual Second Mile golf outing.
June 26, 2000: Sandusky speaks to more than 500 people about his coaching career and charitable activities at an event for the Lehigh Valley chapter of the Second Mile.
Summer 2000 to late 2002: Sandusky meets a seventh grader, age 13, identified in the grand jury report as Victim 3, through the Second Mile.
July 4, 2000: The American Football Coaches Association selects Sandusky as its Division I-A Assistant Coach of the Year and a $5,000 academic scholarship is given to Penn State in Sandusky's name.
Sept. 2, 2000: Penn State plays its first home game since Sandusky's retirement, a 24-6 loss to Toledo. Fans are incredulous that Sandusky, who is sitting in the stands, is not honored or even mentioned before or during the game.
November 2000: Victim 8: A janitor, Jim Calhoun, observes Sandusky in the assistant coaches' shower room, pinning a young boy against the wall and performing oral sex on him sometime between 10 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. Ganim: The employees, fearing for their jobs, never reported what they saw, however the same night another janitor saw Sandusky leaving hand-in-hand with a boy, and later saw Sandusky circling the parking lot.
Oct. 21, 2000: Sandusky serves as grand marshal in the Penn State homecoming parade, tossing candy to the crowd from his perch in a white convertible.
Nov. 16, 2000: Paterno speaks about the impact of Sandusky's retirement on the football program. His answer is telling about the relationships Sandusky maintained with people in the program and his presence on campus. "We miss Jerry as a person," Paterno says. "He has friends on the field and on the coaching staff. We see him a lot."
Dec. 13, 2000: Sandusky receives the Broyles Lifetime Achievement Award, an award for assistant coaches named in honor of former University of Arkansas football coach Frank Broyles.
Dec. 20, 2000: Sandusky interviews with Virginia director of athletics Terry Holland for the university's head coaching vacancy. Ten days later, Virginia hires Al Groh instead. After Sandusky's arrest two weeks ago, Holland says he was unaware during the interview process of any allegations against the former coach.
January 1, 2001: Sandusky publishes an autobiography called, "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story," which he co-authors with former team manager Kip Richeal. In the book, Sandusky reveals that his love of children led him to decline several job offers, including an invitation to be head coach at Marshall in the 1970s. If he had accepted the job, Sandusky would have left the foster child he and his wife were caring for. "I came to the realization that we wouldn't be able to take him with us," Sandusky wrote.
Victim 2 Corrected dates:
February 9, 2001: Mike McQueary, a 28-year-old graduate assistant coach, walks into the football facility around 9:30 p.m. to put away new sneakers and pick up recruiting videos. He is surprised to find the lights and showers on and hear the rhythmic slapping sounds of sexual activity, according to the report. He looks in the shower and sees a naked boy about 10 years old, identified in the report as Victim 2, with his hands up against the wall as Sandusky sexually assaults him. McQueary leaves immediately, according to the report, but McQueary says later that he stopped the abuse first before leaving. McQueary goes to his office and calls his father to tell him what he has witnessed. McQueary's father tells him to report the incident to Paterno.
February 10, 2001: McQueary calls Paterno and then visits Paterno's home and tells him what he saw in the locker room. Paterno tells the grand jury that McQueary appeared upset, according to the report.
February 11, 2001: Paterno invites Curley, his immediate supervisor, to his home and tells him that McQueary had seen Sandusky in the football complex fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy, the report says.
February 21, 2001: About 10 days later, Curley calls McQueary to a meeting with Gary Schultz, the university vice president who duties include supervision of the campus police force. McQueary, according to the report, tells them what he witnessed.
End of February 2001: Curley tells McQueary the university has stripped Sandusky of his locker room keys, directed him not to use Penn State facilities with young people and reported the incident to the Second Mile. In later testimony before the grand jury, Curley says he relayed McQueary's report to Spanier and admits that the ban on Sandusky using campus facilities was not enforceable. The campus police never question McQueary, according to the report, and the matter appears to go dormant.
March 2, 2001: The Centre County Chamber of Business and Industry recognizes Sandusky with the Community Service Award for his work with at-risk children through The Second Mile.
Aug. 5, 2001: Sandusky, Sue Paterno and other prominent community members lobby Little League baseball to allow the State College American All-Star team's honorary captain, a boy with Down's Syndrome, to sit with the team in the dugout when it plays in Williamsport.
Sept. 21, 2001: The Penn State Board of Trustees votes to sell 40 acres of university property to The Second Mile.
Dec. 26, 2001: Sandusky's son, Matthew, is arrested for harassing a former girlfriend.
2002: Sandusky begins his affiliation with Central Mountain High School, assisting Second Mile members who play on the school's football team.
During 2002: relationship with victim 5, then 12, ends
Feb. 14, 2002: Sandusky's son, Matthew, marries.
March 28, 2002: McQueary, a former Penn State quarterback, plays in and Sandusky coaches in the annual Easter Bowl, a flag football game at Memorial Field in State College. The event raises $14,500 for Easter Seals Central Pennsylvania, which serves children and adults with disabilities.
April 2002: A former girlfriend files a protection-from-abuse petition against Sandusky's adopted son, Matthew.

Thanks again, StellarsJay...I had no idea that after the 1998 investigation was droppped and he retired, that Sandusky received so many awards and recognitions. Guess he thought it was all behind him and he could now do what he liked.

3 jurors picked for Sandusky child sex abuse trial

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L2_UNEWS

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Three of the 16 jurors and alternates needed for former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky's child sex abuse trial were selected Tuesday morning as the high-profile case got under way in earnest after months of legal wrangling and intense publicity.

One of two middle-aged women selected told the court she's been a Penn State football season-ticketholder since the 1970s and that her husband works for the medical group where the father of key witness Mike McQueary previously worked. A 24-year-old man was also selected.........

Judge John Cleland told the more than 220 potential jurors he would not sequester them, meaning they can spend nights at home during the trial that is expected to last several weeks..........

Sandusky is attending jury selection, and laughed at some of Cleland's humorous remarks to potential jurors. But when Cleland told the pool the nature of the charge, Sandusky put his head down..............

Some of the alleged victims are expected to testify during the trial, the opening of which is likely to begin on Monday morning. Cleland said the trial may last three weeks.

[Dottie is not there.]

More at link.....

-3- Sandusky Timeline

2002: Pinnacle Development and Village at Penn State is busy arranging funding.
Penn State President Graham Spanier, conceived the project in 1995. Paterno was partnered with the same team of investors in developing a golf resort and nearby restaurant and inn. Paterno also joined with other current and former Second Mile board members on a bottled water company, a coaching website and a chain of convenience stores.
Pinnacle Development, one-half of the developer team that built The Village at Penn State, included Paterno, Poole, William Schreyer -- a Penn State trustee whose daughter is a longtime board member of The Second Mile -- and local developer Philip Sieg. Each partner stood to make an estimated $590,000 in fees and 15 percent annual interest on a $125,000 initial investment if the project was successful enough to get funding for a second phase, according to The Daily. (Didn&#8217;t Spanier get anything?)
June 8, 2002: Sandusky is in the stands cheering on Centre County's unified softball team at the local Special Olympics.
June 2002: Karen Ganter, wife of offensive coordinator Fran Ganter, suffers heart attack and dies at age 53.
June 18, 2002: Sandusky attends Second Mile Foster Family Day at Hersheypark.
June 21-22, 2002: Sandusky hosts the 22nd annual Uni-Mart Second Mile Celebrity Golf Classic. McQueary is scheduled to attend.
June 23, 2002: Paterno's brother, former Penn State broadcaster George Paterno, suffers a massive heart attack and dies at age 73. Paterno laments that he wishes he could have done more for his broth
Aug. 12, 2002: Sandusky's son, Matthew, welcomes a daughter
Late 2002- relationship with Victim 3, then 15, ends.
April 2003: Sandusky's Marine son, Jeffrey, is deployed to active duty in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, the U.S. campaign in Afghanistan.
April 3, 2003: Sandusky and the Second Mile's vice president of programs, Katherine Genovese, accept an organization of the year honor from the Pennsylvania School Counselors Association.
May 18, 2003: Sandusky plays in 5th annual Coaches vs. Cancer Celebrity Golf Tournament at the Penn State Blue Course.
June 21, 2003: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf tournament. McQueary is scheduled to attend.
Aug. 9, 2003: Sandusky plays in the Nittany Lions Wrestling Golf Classic.
Fall 2003: Sandusky joins the Central Mountain High School football team as a part-time volunteer assistant coach.
2004 to 2008: Victim 9 came forward after Sandusky was charged. Gamon says: he was a Second Mile child who began socializing with Sandusky as his guest at football games. Sandusky bought him gifts and gave him money, and would pick him up from school and take him home, where he would spend the night.
He said he was always told to stay in the basement, and that&#8217;s where he would eat meals, hang out, and sleep. He called out to Dottie for help.
January 2004: Sandusky is among the featured guests at the Hanover Rotary Club Sports Night and York Area Sports Night, both held at high schools in the York area.
Jan. 25, 2004: Sandusky tells the Centre Daily Times in State College about his continued involvement on the Penn State campus, despite a ban that few know about at the time: "I still go over there (to the football complex) to work out but I don't know enough about what's going on (with the team) to have an opinion. If I knew a little more I'd be dangerous."
Feb. 7, 2004: Penn State coaches attend a funeral for the mother of defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.
Feb. 17, 2004: Paterno replaces offensive coordinator Fran Ganter with former Penn State quarterback Galen Hall and promotes McQueary to full-time assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.
March 1, 2004: Sandusky attends the grand opening of the Lehigh Valley chapter of the Second Mile.
March 6, 2004: Sandusky represents the Second Mile at the Celebration of Excellence in Hershey. Former Notre Dame coach Tyrone Willingham is honored.
April 9, 2004: Sandusky again coaches and McQueary again plays in the annual Easter Seals flag football game.
May 13, 2004: Penn State awards Paterno a four-year contract extension. In a statement, Curley says Paterno's "stamp on our football program, and our institution, is indelible." Spanier says Paterno's contributions to the university "have brought great pride to Penn State alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends."
May 17, 2004: Sandusky delivers the keynote address at the annual banquet of the Pennsylvania Dutch Council of the Boy Scouts of America in Lancaster.
June 15, 2004: Sandusky joins more than 1,000 foster parents and families for Foster Family Day at Hersheypark.
June 18, 2004: Sandusky teams coaches a team of former linebackers to a win in the putting contest at the annual Second Mile golf tournament. NFL Hall of Famer Franco Harris, later a staunch critic of Paterno's firing, serves as honorary chair.
June 23-26, 2004: Sandusky holds a football camp at the Penn State campus in Erie for boys in grades 4 through 9.
July 2004: Sandusky, flexing his charitable muscle, delivers a keynote speech for donors supporting a former player's father in his battle against kidney cancer.
Sept. 11, 2004: Sandusky joins 300 Second Mile children for a ride on the Strasburg Rail Road near Lancaster.
Sept. 19, 2004: Sandusky writes a column for the Centre Daily Times recounting his Penn State memories.
Oct. 1, 2004: Sandusky speaks on-campus at the closing ceremonies of the Penn State Sesquicentennial Game, an event pitting various groups of students in a myriad of Olympic-style activities.
Nov. 6, 2004: Sandusky is inducted into Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame along with notable athletes from the state, including Ken Griffey, Sr. and Olympic heavy weight wrestler Bruce Baumgartner.
-2005 or 2006: Victim 1, an 11 or 12-year-old boy, meets Sandusky through the Second Mile program. In his second year in the program, the boy attends the Second Mile's camp on the Penn State campus.
Jan. 12, 2005: Sandusky returns to the York area Sports Night circuit.
Jan. 15, 2005: Sandusky attends a "friend-raiser" at a State College hotel to raise money and awareness for the Second Mile.
March 23, 2005: Jerry Sandusky recounts passing Paterno in the hallway while working out at the Penn State football complex. "Thought we got rid if you," Paterno says, according to Sandusky.
Summer 2005 Victim 1 told police he was 12 or 13 and in the Second Mile program when he met Sandusky and began staying at his home
The Bill of particulars says the abuse was between 2005 and 2008,age 11 to 15
Summer 2005 or 2006: Victim 1 testifies Sandusky began to make inappropriate contact with him, blowing on his bare stomach and kissing him on the mouth. Sandusky, according to the report, encourages the boy to participate as a Second Mile volunteer and showers him with gifts, including golf clubs, a computer, gym clothes, dress clothes and cash.
June 19-22, 2005: Sandusky holds camps at Albright College in Reading for players entering grades 4 through 12.
June 25, 2005: Sandusky hosts the 25th anniversary of the Second Mile Celebrity Golf Classic at a course on the Penn State campus.
July 10-13, 2005: Sandusky holds more camps at Albright College in Reading.
June 26-29, 2005: Sandusky holds football camps at the Erie campus for players entering grades 4-12.
Summer 2005 until 2009: Relationship with Victim 9, age 13 to 15-16
Aug. 9, 2005: Sandusky, whose son works in the Eagles' front office, watches the team's morning workout from inside the crowd-control fence at Lehigh University.
Oct. 15, 2005: Sandusky speaks at a tailgate party fundraiser in Lake Harmony for Penn State fans watching the team's road game against Michigan.
Nov. 21, 2005: Sandusky visits a York area Walmart to accept a $15,000 donation to the Second Mile.
Jan. 11, 2006: Sandusky pokes fun at Paterno during an appearance at South Western High School's Sports Night, saying the coach would remain on the sidelines, "a lot longer than I'm alive." Sandusky tells the audience, "I don't feel like I'm retired at all. I goof around a lot with The Second Mile kids, playing basketball or racquetball with them."
Feb. 22, 2006: The Manheim Township Community Life Task Force hosts "An Evening with Jerry Sandusky." Sandusky gives a presentation titled, "What Can One Moment Do?" aimed at parents, youth leaders, coaches and teachers.
March 29, 2006: Sandusky delivers the keynote address at the Central York School District's Sports Night. An official with the district praises Sandusky, saying, "There is no finer fundraiser than Jerry."
April 2006: Sandusky speaks at a scholarship breakfast prior to the annual Penn State spring scrimmage at Beaver Stadium.
May 2006: Sandusky regales guests at an event benefiting the Greater York-Adams Scholarship Fund with stories from his coaching days.
June 14, 2006: Sandusky plays in the Pitt vs. Penn State Golf Challenge at the Chestnut Ridge Golf Resort in Blairsville, an event that raises more than $100,000 for the Second Mile and the National Youth Sports Program.
June 22, 2006: Sandusky attends the annual Second Mile golf event.
July 9-12, 2006: Sandusky holds another football camp at Penn State's Erie campus.
2006-2007: The boy identified in the grand jury report as Victim 1 tells the grand jury Sandusky laid down on top of him, face-to-face and rolled around on the floor of an empty gymnasium at Central Mountain High School. A wrestling coach walks into the room, according to the report. Sandusky jumps up and explains he and the boy had been wrestling. Miller says later he found the situation odd.
Sept. 2, 2006: Penn State honors 20th anniversary of 1986 national championship team at halftime of the Sept. 2 season opener against Akron.
Sept. 7, 2006: Sandusky is listed among the 114 voters in the Harris Poll, which helps determine the BCS standings and the national champion.
2006-2007: Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley shares a residence with McQueary.
March 23, 2007: Sandusky and former Penn State players are honored at "A Salute to Linebacker U," a fundraiser connected with the Second Mile's Celebration of Excellence program.
April 1-4, 2007: Sandusky addresses 48 teams of high school students attending the Sovereign Bank Second Mile Leadership Institute.
May 19, 2007: Despite his supposed ban, Sandusky delivers the commencement address at the Penn State College of Health and Human Development on the school's University Park campus.
May 26, 2007: Sandusky joins former Penn State linebacker Greg Buttle as an instructor at a linebacker clinic at Muhlenberg College in Allentown.
June 2007 Vixtim 1 The contact started with back-cracking exercises and escalated around June of 2007 to stomach-blowing, kissing and sex acts.

June 12, 2007: Sandusky attends Foster Family Day at Hersheypark.
June 22-23, 2007: Sandusky hosts the annual Second Mile golf tournament.
June 27-30, 2007: Sandusky holds more youth football camps at a Penn State campus near Harrisburg.
July 9-18, 2007: Sandusky conducts more camps at the Penn State campus in Erie and at Albright College in Reading.
July 21, 2007: Sandusky speaks to the American Family Coalition of Pennsylvania at the Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey Hotel.
Fall 2007: During track season, Sandusky invites Victim 1 to stay at his home near State College. Sandusky takes him to professional sporting events, such as Philadelphia Eagles games and pre-season practices at Penn State. Victim 1 sleeps in a finished basement when he stays at Sandusky's home.
Oct. 5, 2007: The Weller Health Education Center honors Sandusky with its Outstanding Friend to Kids Award.
Nov. 14, 2007: Sandusky visits the Bald Eagle Area school district near State College to promote a math education program.
Dec. 3, 2007: Paterno is inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and jokes about his endgame scenario for his career: "Drop dead at the end of the game after you kick the winning field goal. They carry you off the field, and everyone's singing, "So long, Joe!'"
Dec. 29, 2007: Penn State returns to the Alamo Bowl for the first time since Sandusky's last game. It is Paterno's 500th game as head coach and again the Nittany Lions emerge victorious.
Spring 2008: Victim 1, now a high school freshman, ends contact with Sandusky.
Jan. 2008 - July 2009: Sandusky calls Victim 1's home 61 times from his home phone and 57 times from his cell phone, according to an investigator with the state attorney general's office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member