Ransom note analysis

I have quietly been working on a few pieces of this puzzle/case and I am slowly coming to some conclusions. I don't want to get ahead of myself and release parts of my overall thought too early before having more time to get things as correct as possible but I will share this little bit.

When looking at pictures of the handwritten ransom notes there is one thing that stands out immediately from one page to the next and that helped me to an idea that I was later able to test. Based on the simple test I ran it is my opinion that the note was prewritten on a computer screen or printout and then brought to the crime and copied to paper by hand. The note being prewritten on a computer screen or printout would eliminate the need for a long amount of time while someone composed the note at the time the crime was committed. Someone would only need to take the lesser amount of time needed to copy the note and make the handwriting look "just so". One might test write a couple of words on a scraps of paper to make sure they would look just right when written to the note but this was not composing,just carefuly crafting how the handwriting would look.

Please note that in saying this about the note I am not jumping from there to any conclusions that the crime was committed by an intruder or not done by an intruder. It is merely one piece of the puizzle that falls into place for me and helps me onward from there.

I have quietly been working on a few pieces of this puzzle/case and I am slowly coming to some conclusions. I don't want to get ahead of myself and release parts of my overall thought too early before having more time to get things as correct as possible but I will share this little bit.

When looking at pictures of the handwritten ransom notes there is one thing that stands out immediately from one page to the next and that helped me to an idea that I was later able to test. Based on the simple test I ran it is my opinion that the note was prewritten on a computer screen or printout and then brought to the crime and copied to paper by hand. The note being prewritten on a computer screen or printout would eliminate the need for a long amount of time while someone composed the note at the time the crime was committed. Someone would only need to take the lesser amount of time needed to copy the note and make the handwriting look "just so". One might test write a couple of words on a scraps of paper to make sure they would look just right when written to the note but this was not composing,just carefuly crafting how the handwriting would look.

Please note that in saying this about the note I am not jumping from there to any conclusions that the crime was committed by an intruder or not done by an intruder. It is merely one piece of the puizzle that falls into place for me and helps me onward from there.

Another poster had this theory too. I cannot remember who it was though. And they thought that it had to have been John or Patsy that did it. It was said that this poster thought that some of the letters were copied to look like it would, if it had of came from the computer. For example ....the "a" with the hood.

Another poster had this theory too. I cannot remember who it was though. And they thought that it had to have been John or Patsy that did it. It was said that this poster thought that some of the letters were copied to look like it would, if it had of came from the computer. For example ....the "a" with the hood.

In DOI,I think Patsy says they sat at the computer and each wrote a version of the liturgy,which they merged together.If you think about it,that would be the easiest way to do it.Plus,it's story,more less,of sorts...what easier way to write one?And JR would have known how to delete it all when they were done.

If it was prewritten on a computer, why was the word "delivery" crossed out and replaced with "pick-up"? That's the sort of thing you do when you make something up on the spot.

You could be right, but it seems just like the sort of "note" that you'd write when you're not entirely sure what you're going to say and exactly how you want to say it. It doesn't seem edited enough to have been written on a computer and copied out. Wouldn't you expect it to be more concise and threatening if that was the case?

here it is:

DOI (HB) Page 234:
"John and I wrote message of appreciation to our friends to be printed on the back of the liturgy of the day. We thanked the people for their support through the past year and expressed how much their love had meant to us. We also commended on the meaning of the Christmas season and why it was important to remember the real season we celebrate this time of the year. In composing this expression of appreciation, John and I had each written a version. With both copies in hand, John dictated and I typed at the computer as we merged the two into one.
Later Susan Stine and Roxy Walker made a few edits as they type it into the liturgical program. This edited version included the phrase and, hence. Those two words turned out to be the next bombshell!"
---
Perfect for the way the RN was done,IMO...JR dictates,Patsy types at the computer(and later writes),then they merge the two into one.If mistakes were made,it was probably from jumping ahead or from the dictation.

Actually, that ransom note sound positively "genteel".

I said once before, that the note sounds childish to me, especially with many of the words taken from movies, etc. No one agreed with me that a child could have written it, but how can you justify that two grieving parents could concentrate enough to concoct such a note having just found their daughter dead? My own children watch the same movies over and over again, memorizing most of the lines, and often I hear them mimic lines that I say. Did anyone analyze the handwriting on the first note that was discarded? Burke could have written it as part of a game that he and JonBenet were playing that night. A game where something went terribly wrong, and Patsy could have re-copied it in adult handwriting to point suspicion away from her son. JMO

There is no way I'm going to believe a nine year old boy wrote that RN. Kids that age might parrot lines they've heard from movies in play, etc, but they do not sit down and compose a 3 and half page RN written in correct grammar, punctuation, spelling (except for the intentional misspellings), with correctly indented paragraph structure that just so happens to look remarkably like Patsy's own style of indentation, handwriting, and linguistics.

A 9 year old would have written a more succinct note - we have your kid, we want money, will call you. The going on for 3 and a half pages in a "genteel" (love it, DeeDee) tone, complete with concern for JR's rest, denotes a chatty woman who is unaccustomed to expressing hate and anger.

A child certainly would not have thought ahead to addressing such issues as "two gentlemen that don't particularly like you", "scanning for electronic devices" and describing exactly how he wants the money broken down into denominations, and placed in an "adequate size attach&#233;" <-- complete with accent mark placed correctly - something a Francophile such as Patsy would have done unconsciously, but not something a 9 yr old child who spends time interested in airplanes and Nintendo would have cared about. Imo.

I said once before, that the note sounds childish to me, especially with many of the words taken from movies, etc. No one agreed with me that a child could have written it, but how can you justify that two grieving parents could concentrate enough to concoct such a note having just found their daughter dead? My own children watch the same movies over and over again, memorizing most of the lines, and often I hear them mimic lines that I say. Did anyone analyze the handwriting on the first note that was discarded? Burke could have written it as part of a game that he and JonBenet were playing that night. A game where something went terribly wrong, and Patsy could have re-copied it in adult handwriting to point suspicion away from her son. JMO

Never happened.

There is no way I'm going to believe a nine year old boy wrote that RN. Kids that age might parrot lines they've heard from movies in play, etc, but they do not sit down and compose a 3 and half page RN written in correct grammar, punctuation, spelling (except for the intentional misspellings), with correctly indented paragraph structure that just so happens to look remarkably like Patsy's own style of indentation, handwriting, and linguistics.

A 9 year old would have written a more succinct note - we have your kid, we want money, will call you. The going on for 3 and a half pages in a "genteel" (love it, DeeDee) tone, complete with concern for JR's rest, denotes a chatty woman who is unaccustomed to expressing hate and anger.

A child certainly would not have thought ahead to addressing such issues as "two gentlemen that don't particularly like you", "scanning for electronic devices" and describing exactly how he wants the money broken down into denominations, and placed in an "adequate size attach&#233;" <-- complete with accent mark placed correctly - something a Francophile such as Patsy would have done unconsciously, but not something a 9 yr old child who spends time interested in airplanes and Nintendo would have cared about. Imo.
I completely agree. No way imo could a nine-year-old child have written that ransom note.

I said once before, that the note sounds childish to me, especially with many of the words taken from movies, etc. No one agreed with me that a child could have written it, but how can you justify that two grieving parents could concentrate enough to concoct such a note having just found their daughter dead?

they're desperate to save their own hides..

My own children watch the same movies over and over again, memorizing most of the lines, and often I hear them mimic lines that I say. Did anyone analyze the handwriting on the first note that was discarded?

It was only the salutation,but yes,I bet it was,no reason it wouldn't be.Not only that..Patsy admitted writing it,saying it was for something else... I don't beleive that.Common sense tells me it wasn't.It was obv. the first start of the RN.It said 'Mr and Mrs Ramsey',which was later changed to the final version of just 'Mr Ramsey'.

Not even BlueCrab, the person I've heard back a BDI theory harder than anyone else I've ever encountered, believed that Burke wrote the RN. At least not alone - BC's theory is that an older person, college age, dictated to Burke what to write.

Yep, no way. Adaquate sized attach&#233;?....I don't THINK so.

no child would think of such motherly details,no teenager or man would either,IMO.
If anything,a child would say 'don't forget your coat,it's cold out', (bc us mom always say that so much,they don't forget it,lol).But really,I cant see a 9-10yo writing any kind of RN.

no child would think of such motherly details,no teenager or man would either,IMO.
If anything,a child would say 'don't forget your coat,it's cold out', (bc us mom always say that so much,they don't forget it,lol).But really,I cant see a 9-10yo writing any kind of RN.

LOL..yeah, I know. Me, either. "I advise you to be well rested".......yep, that sounds like something a nine year old would say....;)

And you think Patsy was calm enough to compose a three page letter after her daughter had just died? If it were my child that had just died, I don't think I could have even lifted a pen.

...and "I advise you to be well rested" couldn't have come from a movie or nintendo game? Too much of the ransom note sound like lines borrowed from the entertainment industry, and if a show is watched over and over again, alot of it gets memorized. Is it still impossible to believe that ideas for the ransom note came from a nine year old's fascination with a particular story line, and possibly his mother edited it to make it sound more adult-like with correct grammar, spelling and punctuations?

...and "I advise you to be well rested" couldn't have come from a movie or nintendo game? Too much of the ransom note sound like lines borrowed from the entertainment industry, and if a show is watched over and over again, alot of it gets memorized. Is it still impossible to believe that ideas for the ransom note came from a nine year old's fascination with a particular story line, and possibly his mother edited it to make it sound more adult-like with correct grammar, spelling and punctuations?

..and then there just happened to be a dead body in the house,along w the note...??

And you think Patsy was calm enough to compose a three page letter after her daughter had just died? If it were my child that had just died, I don't think I could have even lifted a pen.

I think Patsy sat at that table w that box of kleenex she denied owning(that was in her house,nonetheless),and cried her eyes out..got that part over with ....then kicked into self-preservation mode.She'd had cancer..she did NOT want to spend whatever time she had left in jail...or worse,get the death penalty.And there was Burke to think about too..plus the public humiliation she would have gotten from it..and John having to spend a fortune on legal bills to defend her..and maybe not enough money left for her cancer treatments after that.She had a whole host of reasons,(even if JR was the one that did it and she was covering for him),to get it in gear and write that note.

I think Patsy sat at that table w that box of kleenex she denied owning(that was in her house,nonetheless),and cried her eyes out..got that part over with ....then kicked into self-preservation mode.She'd had cancer..she did NOT want to spend whatever time she had left in jail...or worse,get the death penalty.And there was Burke to think about too..plus the public humiliation she would have gotten from it..and John having to spend a fortune on legal bills to defend her..and maybe not enough money left for her cancer treatments after that.She had a whole host of reasons,(even if JR was the one that did it and she was covering for him),to get it in gear and write that note.

IMO,that alone would have been enough for her...she was all about appearances..no way was she going to let the cover of Time magazine run a pic of her on the cover w the caption 'Former Ms WV charged with murdering her child...'...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back