Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, the Bryan Hulsey trial. Another Juanderful trial we missed because the camera crews couldn't get their stuff together!
dis-like-smiley.gif

If Jodi has been a man I think she would have gotten the dp the first time around. She sickens me. I think JM should talk about how she killed him. Step by step and then play the flirty voicemail she left on his phone. Evil. Pure manipulative evil demon.

Pff the closer we get to the retrial, the angrier I get.

I bet JA just wanted to make a record (again) that the judge should have fired Nurmi and that she was proceeding with Nurmi as counsel under duress.

Makes you wonder when the laws will change and a defendant will NOT be able to represent themselves UNLESS they have a law degree? It seems "self representation" is used more and more as a ploy to stall the process, and get the amenities that come with it.

Makes you wonder when the laws will change and a defendant will NOT be able to represent themselves UNLESS they have a law degree? It seems "self representation" is used more and more as a ploy to stall the process, and get the amenities that come with it.

The US Supreme Court has held that this is a right guaranteed by the 6th Amendment, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. ;)

The US Supreme Court has held that this is a right guaranteed by the 6th Amendment, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. ;)

Wasn't it W.C.Fields who said, "The man who represents himself has a fool for a client"???

What do you think poor clueless CMJA was prepared to tell the judge as to her reason for retiring? Her statement probably did not include admiration for her team of attorneys. Perhaps that the prosecution was making her mitigation (and stealth defense) difficult.

Perhaps her brain was scrambled?

Wonder if CMJA is going to give another allocution? Those are always fun, she can say anything she wants because she is neither sworn under oath or subject to cross by the Prosecution. Wonder what gems she's going to pull out?

Allocution, take 2:
(Big smile, "motivational speaker" voice) OK, guys, you've been totally punked. You got me fair and square. First degree murder, premeditated and especially cruel. Not bad for a first timer... or am I? I really don't know. Only God knows for sure, and we can't subpoena him. (Ambiguous smirk) Anyhoo, I've just been yanking your collective chains this whole time (wink to Martinez and Flores, double thumbs-up to the Alexanders), but I think we can all agree that you have dragged this out for too long. The spark and spontaneity are pretty much gone (stage yawn). All we have left are a few brief texts, and some photographs, and that phone sex tape that I totally knew would come in handy one day. Or at least you have these things, these small tokens with which to remember our time together, but that's all they are: tokens. I am left with only my bittersweet memories and the knowledge that my trial cost Arizona taxpayers over two million dollars, and caused a lotta people a whole lotta pain! But as for us, for now, we've lost that lovin' feeling. Let's all just call 'er a day and go back to our real lives. For however long they might last (nudge nudge).

Special shout-outs before I go: First, to my good buddy Juan "The Prosecuter" Martinez. Don't go away mad, bro, just go away! (Fake-brushes back hair, flips bird.)

And to my besties Sidebar Jenny and "Captain" Kirk, no hard feelings. You can't win 'em all. (Well, you two sure can't, but I can! And I can sing and do handstands, at the same time!) Kirkster, dude, got any more motions to withdraw you're planning to run by the judge? Jeeze Louise. We all know you're not the kind of guy who ever withdraws early from anything. Any. Thing. Ever. And dude, sorry to break it to ya, but "conversate" is not a word (eye roll). I can mangle the language and no one cares. I have a jailhouse GED. But you, man, you should know better. You've been to law school. Right? No seriously, you actually have been to law school? Nine days out ten it's hard to tell.

For all you haters out there, well, my sincere hope for you is that you can move on and, like me, find a way to be of service in your communities, rather than focussing all your misguided energy on Travis and his flaws. Personally, I have nothing but forgiveness in my heart. (Another hair/bird)

Anyway, it's been super fun hanging with all y'all and I hope everyone has a totally awesome summer! Oops, I mean "rest of your lives." And maybe "hanging" isn't the best word. But hey, I'm totally philosophist, so life... death... whatever. It's all good. And you know me (at least you should by now!), whatever my sentence is, I'll say that's what I was hoping for. Winning! Keep that money coming in and stay tuned for my upcoming spin-off drama: Appeals Process. Starring... ME! As ME! It's going to rock! Love you guys! Peace out.

(Important: look sad now and speak softly.) Members of the jury -- the task ahead of you will be extraordinarily difficult, especially so for the men among you, in more-or-less their mid-60's, who see in me their own innocent daughters, whom they would neither hurt nor allow to be hurt by others. I, and God, and the State of Arizona, and actually the entire world, are depending on you to Choose The Right, even though court regulations or something prevent my mother from giving you the CTR rings and Domestic Violence Awareness ribbons purchased by my many supporters and close, personal friends. Because none of you were able to get out of jury duty, you now have the opportunity, and some would say obligation, to make a just and fair decision regarding my sentence for the unfortunate events which some have gone so far as to refer to as a quote-unquote crime (air quotes). I know that you have been inundated with a great deal of confusing information, most of it presented by a very loud man, but neither the volume of evidence against me nor the volume of the Prosecutor (see what I did there?) makes these heinous accusations quote-unquote true (air quotes). No, it was the verdict of the previous jury that makes the accusations against me quote-unquote true (air quotes). I accept that I am standing shackled before you today entirely because of the previous jury's lack of discernment, intelligence, and empathy. Frankly you look a lot smarter than that bunch.

In a certain sense, you now have my life in your hands. I can't even imagine how that feels, to have in one's hands the life or death of another human being. I am begging you for mercy, for the sake of my family, who are sitting right over there (points), in case you hadn't noticed my grandmother's wheelchair and IV, or hadn't heard the heartbroken giggles of my mother and aunt. I have faith that you will not let them down. I have faith that you will not let me down. I will leave you with this one undeniable fact, which I hope you will consider during your deliberations: Death row is not one of the places listed in "1000 Places To See Before You Die."

stage directions:

Nixon wave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3U4MhKDxcw
to all four sides of the courtroom, locate cameras -- flash mugshot grin, blow kisses to the Alexanders, slow-clap for Martinez and Flores, heart-thump with fist to defense table, sarcastic curtsy to judge, yelp and fall to the floor, writhing in pain and wetting herself because the deputies zap her just for the hell of it and they figure this might be their last chance. Clamorous applause and cheering, high fives all around, a confused Jodi slowly regains consciousness and wonders what all the fuss is about, assumes it's about her, stands up, bows unsteadily or possibly demonstrates the "linebacker pose" again, gets zapped again either because her "linebacker pose" is so intimidating and people in court were afraid for their lives, or possibly because the deputies couldn't resist giving her one more for the road.

And... curtain

Whatever she says will be appallingly offensive, self-serving, and faux-humble. And except for those couple of weeks when she was totally busy with her budding law practice, she's had nothing but time on her hands. Well, time and blood. Mostly blood, but time also. I bet she'll astound us all with a brand new, "just like junior high" multi-media presentation -- one that features her in a more prominent roll. And can she have a few easels? Her art looks best on easels. And she'll need handouts for the jury, with poetry and stuff, and more art. That's allowed, right? Maybe her mom can do a quick run to Kinkos.

Gagging in antici... pation.

No, it was Abe Lincoln...but close.

WC Fields did say this (according to the quotation website I just looked at), and it applies to Jodi rather well: If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull.

Also this: No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.
(Let's say "all people" instead of "all women," thus, by offending everyone, offending no one.)

As all my fellow Tap-Heads out there know, Jodi is cranked all the way up to 11. Actually, I think her "crazy dial" is just completely broken. When you think it can't go any higher -- it does.

http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastso...ent-to-make-111111-nigel-tufnel-day-worldwide

HUh? How is signs of "overkill" favorable evidence for the defense?!
Maybe they can use it to argue that Jodi was temporarily insane and flew into a murderous rage? If she was in control of her actions, and "just" wanted to kill Travis, she could have gone about it in a no muss/no fuss way. Instead, the crime scene shows that she went completely berserk. Ergo: temporary insanity. Ergo: lwop, not death.

This a weak argument, but they might try anything at this point.

Maybe they can use it to argue that Jodi was temporarily insane and flew into a murderous rage? If she was in control of her actions, and "just" wanted to kill Travis, she could have gone about it in a no muss/no fuss way. Instead, the crime scene shows that she went completely berserk. Ergo: temporary insanity. Ergo: lwop, not death.

I could buy it if it weren't for all the premeditation. Stealing the gun, renting an inconspicuous rental car, driving 1,000 miles to kill the man who supposedly abused you, dyeing your hair, the gas cans, etc., etc, etc...

Its our Constitutional right to represent ourself & that should never change.
Too bad the killer can't get it through her thick skull that to save her life she simply needs to show remorse, apologize for her actions & get a little humility. Stop trashing the victim. I will bet that is what her attorneys have been telling her all along. But she's a genius, dontcha know. I have never disliked someone I didn't know more that creepy JA. She just makes me ill.

What do you think poor clueless CMJA was prepared to tell the judge as to her reason for retiring? Her statement probably did not include admiration for her team of attorneys. Perhaps that the prosecution was making her mitigation (and stealth defense) difficult.

One thing is for sure, whatever Jodi wanted to "chat" with to JSS... well, JSS has no desire to hear her whining and moaning and groaning about "poor" JA. She's heard way too much.

IMHO, during the trial, there were way too many ex-parte hearings. They are usually rare in a trial. No doubt, 99% of them were defense/JA's complaints about JM!

I don't see the crime scene as showing she went berserk and temporarily insane. I see a crime scene that shows he didn't go down and die immediately and tried to get away, with her right behind him every step of the way stabbing him. Don't forget the premeditation evidence… Nothing about this says to me it's an instant, in the moment crime.

I don't see the crime scene as showing she went berserk and temporarily insane. I see a crime scene that shows he didn't go down and die immediately and tried to get away, with her right behind him every step of the way stabbing him. Don't forget the premeditation evidence… Nothing about this says to me it's an instant, in the moment crime.

Exactly. She attempted to clean up the crime scene, removed weapons, not to mention what preparation she did before she even arrived in Mesa. All of it shows premeditation, nothing points to a heat-of-the-moment snap.

Its our Constitutional right to represent yourself & that should never change.
Too bad the killer can't get it through her thick skull that to save her life she simply needs to show remorse, apologize for her actions & get a little humility. Stop trashing the victim. I will bet that is what her attorneys have been telling her all along. But she's a genius, dontcha know. I have never disliked someone I didn't know more that creepy JA. She just makes me ill.

Her Einstein balloon was popped during trial, as you probably remember. Dr. Jill Hayes' testimony was posted here, the video, and it was hazy to me a year later, so I listened to all of it. With raw data in hand that Dr. DeMarte shared with her, she testified that the killer had an I.Q. of 112, strictly average. This had been part of DeMarte's analysis too, on the stand. But DeMarte found that Arias had a way with words, from her testing. We already were aware of that, of course, and it does figure into her production of ​lies.

I could buy it if it weren't for all the premeditation. Stealing the gun, renting an inconspicuous rental car, driving 1,000 miles to kill the man who supposedly abused you, dyeing your hair, the gas cans, etc., etc, etc...

Plus, she has already been found guilty of premeditated murder. For this penalty phase they cannot argue that. They can only try to come up with mitigators and claiming she is innocent at this stage is not going to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph