Ronald Cummings and Misty Croslin named POI *report updated and comment removed*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the station put up a "correction" of sorts -- think it is the same link as before, but it was that LE said there are no NAMED person of interest.

I believe the key word is named.

"Person of interest" and "suspect" are sometimes used interchangeably. Meaning, one agency might say POI while another says suspect to describe the same person. I think in court the SA meant Tommy was a person of interest in Haleigh's case because if they had enough evidence to officially name someone a suspect, they have enough evidence to arrest, IMO. Not necessarily so for a POI, though. Sometimes a person is a POI just because LE might want to speak with them.

POI describes a person they are interested in for one or more reasons. In some cases, a POI might go on to be charged, in other cases they might be exonerated after LE speaks with them. IOW, it's hard to say exactly why a person would be named a POI but, in the Haleigh case it is obvious LE has wanted information/answers from several people--and thus they are considering them as POIs even without formally naming them as such. Right after the St. Johns River search in April 2010, Hardy stated they had several POIs, though he didn't name any of them. But their naming Misty the key does not necessarily mean they were interested in only Misty and no one else.

For the record, Tommy was convicted of trafficking. He may have narrowly escaped a greater charge (one with a higher minimum mandatory) but he did not escape a trafficking charge so, if the SA said he did, he misspoke. Tommy's 3-year minimum mandatory was for trafficking in hydrocodone. He got a 15 year sentence for that charge, three of those years being mandatory, which means Tommy must serve three years after which time he becomes eligible for early release under Florida's 85% rule.

I think Tommy has a reasonable chance of some type of relief through his appeal. If it can be proven that he was singled out and treated differently than other perps with similar charges coming through the same court, the appellate court could rule in Tommy's favor. Whether or not a person might be viewed as either a suspect or a POI in an unsolved crime cannot be considered in sentencing of another conviction. However, Werter opened his client up for this when he claimed at Tommy's sentencing hearing that Tommy had been helpful in the Haleigh investigation. That opened the door for the SA to give his opinion on just how helpful he felt Tommy had been and in stating his opinion he used the term "suspect."

The news article has been updated and corrected to remove the reporter's mistake.

Well it appears PCSO is selectively leaking info to certain news outlets. Combine that with with their recent press release that takes the case back to a missing persons case and not a homicide it makes me think something is up. Hopefully we will hear news soon.

:floorlaugh:
I would imagine the real problem is media, once again, got their "facts" wrong. Nothing new there? Lol
BTW the video has been removed I hear.

"Person of interest" and "suspect" are sometimes used interchangeably. Meaning, one agency might say POI while another says suspect to describe the same person. I think in court the SA meant Tommy was a person of interest in Haleigh's case because if they had enough evidence to officially name someone a suspect, they have enough evidence to arrest, IMO. Not necessarily so for a POI, though. Sometimes a person is a POI just because LE might want to speak with them.

POI describes a person they are interested in for one or more reasons. In some cases, a POI might go on to be charged, in other cases they might be exonerated after LE speaks with them. IOW, it's hard to say exactly why a person would be named a POI but, in the Haleigh case it is obvious LE has wanted information/answers from several people--and thus they are considering them as POIs even without formally naming them as such. Right after the St. Johns River search in April 2010, Hardy stated they had several POIs, though he didn't name any of them. But their naming Misty the key does not necessarily mean they were interested in only Misty and no one else.

For the record, Tommy was convicted of trafficking. He may have narrowly escaped a greater charge (one with a higher minimum mandatory) but he did not escape a trafficking charge so, if the SA said he did, he misspoke. Tommy's 3-year minimum mandatory was for trafficking in hydrocodone. He got a 15 year sentence for that charge, three of those years being mandatory, which means Tommy must serve three years after which time he becomes eligible for early release under Florida's 85% rule.

I think Tommy has a reasonable chance of some type of relief through his appeal. If it can be proven that he was singled out and treated differently than other perps with similar charges coming through the same court, the appellate court could rule in Tommy's favor. Whether or not a person might be viewed as either a suspect or a POI in an unsolved crime cannot be considered in sentencing of another conviction. However, Werter opened his client up for this when he claimed at Tommy's sentencing hearing that Tommy had been helpful in the Haleigh investigation. That opened the door for the SA to give his opinion on just how helpful he felt Tommy had been and in stating his opinion he used the term "suspect."
yes, Werter did open Tommy up for this, which I can't see as anything, but a very poor legal maneuver. the audacity, the nerve, the selfishness, just blew my mind. because when it's all said & done, his client told that horrible story, nobody forced him, & it didn't solve this case...so LE has reason to believe he didn't tell the whole truth, & his overriding motivation, was to protect himself. That's how I see it. But, & this is a big but, if LE can't or won't back up that suspect label, I think Tommy should use it to his favour, in an appeal. as an either put up, or shut up thing. If he has nothing to hide, then he was treated grossly unfairly, but if he is hiding something, then he may not want to rattle LE's cages. He'd better be careful what he wishes for.

:floorlaugh:
I would imagine the real problem is media, once again, got their "facts" wrong. Nothing new there? Lol
BTW the video has been removed I hear.

So it is back to square one, Ron and Misty are not suspects or POI's. Ok:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

:banghead: I thought we were going to move forward finally. I guess that was asking too much. :sigh:

So at least everyone is being consistent, maintaining the same level of confusion, mis-information and, mis-statements. I feel better now, it feels more normal.

So it is back to square one, Ron and Misty are not suspects or POI's. Ok:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:
yep, back to square 1. I hope LE is doing more, than the guessing that we do...& I wish that when the media puts a story together, especially an anniversary story, they'd be careful & check their sources. It looks like somebody didn't like their assumptions, & told them to take them down.

:banghead: I thought we were going to move forward finally. I guess that was asking too much. :sigh:
Yep and even went backwards with the PCSO press release with no mention of a homicide.

Yep and even went backwards with the PCSO press release with no mention of a homicide.
& the mention of moving away from a stranger, being involved, really rattled me. Maybe, LE has gone back to the beginning, the real square 1, to try to see if they missed something, or to see if they took a wrong turn somewhere. That's what it seems like to me, but honestly, I expected more from their quotes.

The news article has been updated and corrected to remove the reporter's mistake.

But which reporter made the actual mistake.... we don't know whether Misty and Ron were not named or whether they really aren't persons of interest. If they're not, then that could explain why the case hasn't been solved.

So basically, if he wont be cooperative, hes going to get 50 years. If he tells the truth about what happened to his daughter, and could prove it was an accident, he'd probably get way less than 50 years. Or he could tell the truth about his daughter and be facing the DP. Maybe this is why he was trying to cry his sentence was illegal so that the plea bargain would be illegal as well and he wouldnt have to look bad by his non cooperation? Does anyone get what I am trying to say?

Chablis, I fully understand your point. However, I've never belived or trusted anything Ronald has stated. I can't believe the cops do either and they are privliged to much more than I've heard.

I think they struck a deal with him expecting he would never stick to the deal anyway. Time will tell. And we will just have to wait.
jmo

Well..... (and I realize that can be a deep subject) but to my knowlwdge the statement below hasn't been retracted..

"Investigators said they believe the people connected to the case, including Croslin and Haleigh's father, have not told everything they know about what happened"http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...-story?cid=rss

So I'm going to believe LE does consider Ron C to be a POI. They just haven't offically named him or anyone else as a POI..Yet

Well..... (and I realize that can be a deep subject) but to my knowlwdge the statement below hasn't been retracted..

"Investigators said they believe the people connected to the case, including Croslin and Haleigh's father, have not told everything they know about what happened"http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...-story?cid=rss

So I'm going to believe LE does consider Ron C to be a POI. They just haven't offically named him or anyone else as a POI..Yet

I've always believed RC was a POI, but LE allowed him to get comfortable. I doubt he would be saddled with 15 years if he weren't a POI in this case. I'm just surprised LE is subtly voicing some of their concerns about RC at this point. Perhaps they are changing up their strategy a bit? Lord knows, nothing else has worked.

Just as direct and to the point, neither of these two recent statements have changed or been recanted:

"It's been clear from day one that the contradicting statements from the family members are not the truth," said Capt. Johnny Greenwood, spokesman for the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2011-02-10/haleigh-now-missing-2-years

“They believe, based on the information they have, it is a FAMILY MEMBER”

http://www.news4jax.com/video/26817556/index.html

Those statements are extremely revealing, considering the fact that neither Misty Croslin or Tommy Croslin were even remotely close to being “family members” when Haleigh vanished.

Do you really think that all three of these unrelated media outlets failed to "get it right"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname